Thick handle training question

Guest ML67

I’m curious how others incorporate thick handle training in your workouts. I currently train my grip 2X week, one heavy day and one light day. Both days incorporate some form of thick handle training (2 1/2" DB curls, one arm deadlifts and occasionally wrist curls). My question is on non grip workouts (2 - 3X/week), should I also incorporate thick handle work here? Specifically I’m referring to DB rows and shrugs. Will the added thick handle work adversely affect my grip training? What are your thoughts on the most effective use of thick handle training?

I place increasing my grip strength of primary importance (over non grip specific training).

Thanks

Are you at or near your grip limits when you shrug? In that case, this will in effect make it a grip training day. If you want shrugs to be grip training, too, then shrug with thick handles. If not - don't.

If you are far off from the limit, on the other hand, using a thick grip will be a big benefit. I did chins in a bar somewhat over 2", and when I tried chins on a thin bar after a few months of that, I could do far more.

In general, I have noticed that I can pull harder if I feel my grip is secure.

I can certainly shrug and row more w/ standard width dumbbells than w/ the 2.5" thick handles. I guess I'm asking if thick handle training -- specifically shrugs and rows, performed on non grip days will affect my grip progress. Will I be overtraining my grip?

I realize we all respond somewhat differently to different routines, and I must determine for myself the right balance between productive work and overtraining. I'm still trying to find that right balance and with that in mind, I'm curious how others work thick handle training in their routines.

Thanks

(Edited by ML67 at 11:54 am on Mar. 6, 2001)

Guest Shafman

Thick bar work...

Interestingly enough my 2" deadlift is the same as my regular deadlift.  I don't know whether to be happy or sad.

With a clean grip, it is much less though

If you can just hold the thick handle for as long as you use for shrugging, but with twice the weight you use when shrugging, then you are not working grip hard by shrugging with thick handles.

But if the weight you can hold statically for the same amount of time as you use for a set of shrugs is only 10-20% above the weight you use when shrugging with thick handles, then you must also count that shrugging in as grip work.

Solan,

I'm definitely grip limited in my thick handle shrug and row work. Do you incorporate thick handle work in your grip and/or your non grip lifting?

Thanks

Guest John Thorpe

I strength train 3 times per week. Each day is different example mon squat, wed press, fri deadlift. But each day I have 4-5 other exercises of which 1 is grip specifec.  Monday heavy wrist curls, wed pinch grip and fri thick handle farmer walk w/heavy weight.  My grip strength is progressing still in spite of my age/frequency.

John