Plyometric Boxes?

Tom of Iowa2

We have some Plymetric boxes at the gym i train at.

12 inches.18 inches 24 inches 30 inches 36inches.40 inches.

i know there are a lot of books out there.

Anybody got a link to a site that gives out some free information or plyo workouts?

We've got cobbled together program that a martial arts instructor gave to us but looking for something new.

Do you go to other forums often? I visit drsquat quite ofte. There's a handful of dudes that know their stuff over there. Grip is pretty popular over there, too.

-Napalm-

Edited by Jedd Johnson

Jumping and rebound training is the number one exercise for boxes.

Jump down with different feet widths and squating depths (as in how far you sit/squat when coming down) while immediately rebounding (jumping) upwards or forwards as high or as far as you can. Make sure to use your whole body, swinging your arms , etc. For a challenge try a wide sumo like landing and as quickly as possible jump as far forward or upward as you can with two dumbells in your hands (try starting with a pair of tens) Go for 8-12 reps.

Try jumping on and off the boxes, as in off in front of box, then jump backward unto box then jump behind the box and finally jump foward unto the box finishing one rep. Alternate between different box heights.

Plyometric push-ups: From the down position explode upwards pushing up as hard as you can to gain air, try to land your hands on two boxes previously positioned just on either side of your hands.

Have fun, it'll hurt.

Edited by wells

I never really tried any fancy workouts designed with the plyo boxes but I have used them plenty. I don't know about the different squatting ranges and jumping as high/far as you can on every jump. 2 footed, I would try the different foot placement, but I'd stay away from the foot positions that'll slow you down. Plyo boxes are to be done fast.

Tom- do they only have one box of each height? Personally, what I used to do was two 12 inch boxes, two 18 inch boxes, two 24 inch boxes and one 30 inch box. Just go right down the line AS FAST AS POSSIBLE. You want these to be quick. You want to spend little time in the air and even less time with foot-ground contact. The plyometric boxes effectiveness is really dampered if you're using boxes to big to go at a fast pace on. My workout would be 4 times down the boxes both feet, and then 2 sets each foot down the boxes (minus the 30inch).

Tom- do they only have one box of each height? Personally, what I used to do was two 12 inch boxes, two 18 inch boxes, two 24 inch boxes and one 30 inch box. Just go right down the line AS FAST AS POSSIBLE. You want these to be quick. You want to spend little time in the air and even less time with foot-ground contact. The plyometric boxes effectiveness is really dampered if you're using boxes to big to go at a fast pace on. My workout would be 4 times down the boxes both feet, and then 2 sets each foot down the boxes (minus the 30inch).

Yes just one of each height.

I've been doing sort of what you described but hitting the higher 30 in a seperate work out.Of course I'm not hitting the 36" and the 40" flat footed :) Although some of the larger gentlemen can.

We shake up the work out...and follow this martial arts dudes advice.he's got a heck of a 'vertical'......he claims the plyometrics gave him the big leaping and explosive ability.

Thanks for the advice.

Thank you to Gordon V for the link and thanks Jedd and Wells......"Learn something new everyday"

Also the gym got the DOT drill matt and work out in at the request of a coach....What do you guys think of this???I could use a little more foot speed :laugh