2022 North Carolina State Bending, Breaking, and Tearing Championship - 11/12/22 - Cornelius NC

PITTisKING

That's Right, we're bringing some Steel Bending to the Southeast! A contest for Steel Bending, Chain Breaking, and Card Tearing!!!

What: 2022 NC State Bending, Breaking, and Tearing Championship

When: Saturday, November 12th 2022, Doors at 10am, Rules at 10:30am, Contest at 11am.

Where: Empower House Center, 20468 Chartwell Center Dr, Suite N, Cornelius NC

Why: Because it's going to be an awesome competition!

Entry Fee is $40 

Events:

1. Double Overhand Bending - Unbraced - Double Wraps

2. Double Underhand Bending - Unbraced - Double Wraps

3. Mid-Bar Braced Bending

4. Long-Bar Braced Bending

5. Chain Breaking (Breaking Jack Chain, Two-Handed Pull)

6. Card Tearing (Who can tear the most Maverick cards at once)

I have attached the entry form and rules page.

Prizes and Recognition for 1st through 3rd in Overall Rankings, Plus 1st for women's rankings. More classes may be determined later.

Reach out to me Gary Stuart (PITTisKING on most social media) and let me know if you plan on attending.

I will keep an updated competitor list.

bending-rules (1).docx

NC State.docx

• Like 8

Couple New Updates!!!

The contest will be sanction by GSI so some of the top competitors will qualify for Grip Nationals!!!

I have reached out and I'm getting custom hand-made trophies that will truly be one-of-a-kind!!!

We'll also have more prizes and awards. 

Get in your entry forms soon, early entry guarantees your steel selection and t-shirt availability. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Competitors:

Overall:

Steven Samaniego

Shawn Kapusta

Tom Flesher 
Jason Otto
James Retarides 
Gary Stuart

Womens:
Anna seevers

Volunteers:
Cody Ward
Vinny Ferraiuolo
Jesse Jones
Jennifer Jones

Edited by PITTisKING
Adding Names
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna start really getting stuff ready for the competition, I have a good bit of steel to cut up. I wanted to share that I have gotten the trophies, not sure if I want to share a picture, or just tease it for a while lol. I'll say that the trophies are of one of my idols, and contain at least some 24kt Gold, so there's that!

I'm gonna start doing some videos, addressing some common questions, and providing some updates and pictures soon.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ive spent a lot of time the past couple weeks getting the steel cut, the chains prepared, and the cards counted. Overall I think I'm about 75-80% done with all of that.

Let's get any entry forms in from anyone else looking to compete. I need t-shirt sizes and steel choices in from everyone ASAP. The deadline is approaching, next Saturday the 15th, for guaranteed steel and shirts. Entry will still be taken up until the contest starts, but no guarantees on availability on certain items.

This will be a Historic Event!
This is the 1st Steel Bending competition ever in North Carolina.
I can find records of Card Tearing events in the early 1900s, but not much since then. I know there are online challenges, but not many instances where people meet and go head to head.
What about chain breaking? Has this been contested before in head to head competition?
This contest is putting all 3 events together!!!!

I know this isn't a normal contest, this isn't everyone's cup of tea so to speak, but that's the point! Time to try something new and unusual and really test yourself!

I would love to get a few more competitors overall and especially another woman or two. Someone as crazy as Anna Seevers, another lady willing to step up and compete in such male-dominated events. If I can get a couple more ladies I will make a separate class as well as a special trophy. Your scores will count toward the overall rankings as well.

I've gotten custom made trophies which are absolutely incredible. Part of me wants to share a picture of the trophies, part of me wants to keep them a secret until the day of the competition. So I had an idea, I will send a picture of the trophies to the entrants once you've officially signed up.

On top of t-shirts and custom trophies there will be other prizes and items given away as well.

Let's Go!!!! We're about a month out!!!

• Like 4

I don't do bending and I am not all that good at card tearing and I never tried a chain.  And I just drove down there last week.  So I'm out.  I note that Tim Butler @temmmeeee, if he even THINKS about tearing cards in North Carolina (even while he is in New Jersey!), might win that event ... he is a card beast.

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

This sounds fun. I will try to make competitions in the future.. Not in my cards right now. But thats ok, I can't even tear a deck of them.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I don't do bending and I am not all that good at card tearing and I never tried a chain.  And I just drove down there last week.  I note that Tim Butler, if he merely THINKS about tearing cards in North Carolina even while he is in New Jersey, might win that event ... he is a card beast.

Yeah if Timmy shows up we're all in trouble lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hey @PITTisKINGjust wanted to say I watch your bending videos on youtube. You're an absolute unit dude 💪 very impressive bends big guy! I hope to see you own that gold some day in singles. I'm just getting into bending myself so it's cool to see a fellow gripboard member destroying some big steel! Best of luck with your goals 👍

• Like 3

On 10/10/2022 at 2:43 PM, Bigfoot Grip said:

Hey @PITTisKINGjust wanted to say I watch your bending videos on youtube. You're an absolute unit dude 💪 very impressive bends big guy! I hope to see you own that gold some day in singles. I'm just getting into bending myself so it's cool to see a fellow gripboard member destroying some big steel! Best of luck with your goals 👍

Thanks, I appreciate it. I have gotten close to the Gold. I have bent some 3/8 CRS in singles, but I've learned there is about 30 different grades of "CRS" and I think the Gold is one of the harder ones. I could finish the Gold if I pre-kinked it, I could get a very slight kink in it in single pads. I was getting so close and then messed up my middle knuckle on my right hand. I reset worked my way up again, got close again and messed up the middle knuckle on my left hand.

With the new rules I don't think anyone will certify on it. Hopefully I can go after it again and at least get it following the old rules.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Today was an adventure! This was a great contest, it was a lot of work, but I'm happy with the end result. I'm happy with how everything ran and how everything turned out. I'm very happy with the participants and the efforts they put forth today. I wasn't sure how this would end up, I know steel bending is not a widely recognized sport, but I wanted to put a lot into it and do it right, I didn't want to take it lightly and I could tell the competitors didn't take it lightly either.

Congratulations to Tom Flesher for taking home 1st Place and the Golden Bender trophy. Congratulations to Shawn for taking 2nd Place and the Silver Bender trophy. Congratulations to Jason Otto for 3rd Place and the Rusty Bender trophy.

There were many impressive feats today. I'm personally happy with what I was able to accomplish without using my left thumb lol. Thank you to Steven Samaniego, Vinny Ferraiuolo, Jesse Jones, Jennifer Jones for helping out. Thank you Jessica Baldwin for providing your photography service. Thanks to James Retarides for your help and use of your center. Of course special Thanks to Anna Seevers for tolerating me in general and helping me to cut all that steel and chain.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, PITTisKING said:

Today was an adventure! This was a great contest, it was a lot of work, but I'm happy with the end result. I'm happy with how everything ran and how everything turned out. I'm very happy with the participants and the efforts they put forth today. I wasn't sure how this would end up, I know steel bending is not a widely recognized sport, but I wanted to put a lot into it and do it right, I didn't want to take it lightly and I could tell the competitors didn't take it lightly either.

Congratulations to Tom Flesher for taking home 1st Place and the Golden Bender trophy. Congratulations to Shawn for taking 2nd Place and the Silver Bender trophy. Congratulations to Jason Otto for 3rd Place and the Rusty Bender trophy.

There were many impressive feats today. I'm personally happy with what I was able to accomplish without using my left thumb lol. Thank you to Steven Samaniego, Vinny Ferraiuolo, Jesse Jones, Jennifer Jones for helping out. Thank you Jessica Baldwin for providing your photography service. Thanks to James Retarides for your help and use of your center. Of course special Thanks to Anna Seevers for tolerating me in general and helping me to cut all that steel and chain.

You did good brother. The Trophies were some of the best Ive ever seen and so clever. Im personally looking forward to next contest. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, PITTisKING said:

Looks like a great event. Congrats to everyone. I hope to make it down for the fun next year.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Final standings

1st Place - Tom Flesher - 35pts

2nd Place - Shawn Kapusta - 33.5pts

3rd Place - Jason Otto - 27.5pts

4th Place - Gary Stuart- 26pts

5th Place - James Retarides- 16pts

6th Place - Anna Seevers - 10pts

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Final standings

1st Place - Tom Flesher - 35pts

2nd Place - Shawn Kapusta - 33.5pts

3rd Place - Jason Otto - 27.5pts

4th Place - Gary Stuart- 26pts

5th Place - James Retarides- 16pts

6th Place - Anna Seevers - 10pts

Congrats Tom!  Glad they didn't make you wait too long to find out.

• Like 1