Filed washer choker for grippers

matek

Nothing new here, a quick search on the GripBoard shows that the idea of using washers to choke grippers is decades old. I just wanted to share some measurements/ideas if somebody wants a cheap, easy to implement alternative to hose clamps.  
The picture says it all, but the main idea is to get a washer that would be too small to put the spring through with most of your grippers, but file notches of different sizes to accommodate different spring diameters. With some grippers, even if I end up using the non-filed part or smaller notch (as it will be closer to 20mm), I still have to use the big notch to put through the spring. It is also important to file a "bridge" between the notches, because the 42mm washer (inner) diameter is just too small for some grippers even at a closed position. 
I might still modify it to have a 19-21mm option for my adjustable Ti, but overall I'm satisfied. Btw if you want to choke lighter grippers, a smaller washer would be better. 
Pros:
- Very cheap, and very easy to put on
- If you go through the filing process, kinda "one size fits all"
- Doesn't bother your fingers at all (unlike clamps)
- It will not deform, etc., no safety issues. Mine is made from medium carbon steel. 
- It will not damage the aluminum handles (unlike clamps)
Cons:
- It can scratch spring coating. Make sure the filed part is smooth to minimize this. 
- Not very accurate (unlike clamps). It would be very tedious to aim for exactly 20mm, especially on multiple grippers. 

- Doesn't look as cool as CPW's choker grippers 

washer_choker.jpg

Edited by matek
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2