I Need Some Gripping Suggestions

chris

I can easily close my #1 for about 25 or so reps. I just need some suggestions for making the jump for #1 to #2. I train 3 times a week usually doing max reps, strap holds and negitaves. I occationally train with my friends #2 and im about 1/8th with it. If anybody has any training tips, it will help me out alot.

thanks in advance

Stop training for maximum reps and START training for maximum CRUSHING POWER, reps mean nothing in terms of what gripper you can close. :rock

reps mean nothing in terms of what gripper you can close. 

I wouldn't put it like this. If you're able to do more than 8 reps with a gripper, you should indeed stop training with it (or just warm up with it) and train with your next gripper even if you can't close it yet. Though if you can only close a gripper for 1 to 3 reps, train reps with till you can do 8 full reps. I guarantee it is a fast and efficient way to make strength gains ;)

Another advice : ( :D ) once you can do 8 reps with your gripper, begin a KTA cycle, you'll then benefit a lot from it.

Hope this helps.

Amaury.

I did not mean to say that doing reps will not help you improve. What I am saying is that focusing on your CRUSHING POWER by doing negatives and overcrushes will help you improve much faster than doing reps will. :rock

i don't like when people bash reps i find that reps are the best training in grippers... negitives are good too, but sick with REPS that will get you your closes.

Edited by Strong Man

Reps will work to a certain extent. Personally I hate them, but that's your preferance. Reps will not get you the big pressure spike that an overcrush, straphold or a negative will. If your hand isn't used to the added pressure of a bigger gripper than it will be much harder for you to close.

To close a bigger gripper you need time on that gripper, attempts and negatives. Plus, you will need time holds, overcrushes and some strapholds to work the bottom close.

i don't like when people bash reps i find that reps are the best training in grippers... negitives are good too, but sick with REPS that will get you your closes.

This opinion is in the minority.

Of course there is an expeption to every rule. However, you don't train for a max bench/squat by doing sets of 20 with 135lb.

Same with grippers. You want to close a bigger gripper. This means you want the handles to touch. Touching the handles is the most important factor, so this is where you need to spend your time training. As a result, you do singles like the great Joe Kinney.

Reps are great, especially for building sweep. This is because when you are doing reps, you are spending a minimum amount of time with the handles together and all of your time in the sweep.

The ablity to do reps will come regardless of doing singles or reps. Holding a big gripper closed is achieved by singles.

-HH

well lets say for me i can't move #4 not far, at most paralell... i need to work on the #3's reps, so i can get a better sweep, but very true for the crush you do need to do negatives i also do them on the #3 and #4.

Thanks alot for all the tips :bow ...Now its just playing the waiting game for the #2 to arrive in the mail.

I'm surprised Hammerhead didn't suggest the BB grippers you should seriously think of purchasing some as they generally have strengths that fit inbetween the coc's. I didn't take his suggestion until just recently and I'm kicking myself!!! The SA and M will be nice stepping stones for you

Jon@han

• 3 weeks later...

I HAVE A QUESTION TO ALL YOU GRIP FREAKS. I JUST GOT MY HANDS OF THE KTA EBOOK ON CRUSHING GRIPPERS. MY QUESTION IS THAT IN THE PROGRAM IT STATES THAT YOU SHOULD NO DO ANY OTHER GRIP ROUTINES. DOES THAT INCLUDE DOING DEADLIFTS, BENCH PRESSES, MILITARY PRESSES, FARMERS WALKS, SQUATS, PULL-UPS, AND GENERAL WEIGHT TRAINING? IF IT DOES, WILL MY STRENGTH IN OTHER AREAS PLUMET DURING THE KTA CYCLE. AM I ALOUD TO DO PLATE CURLS AND WRST CURLS WITH A PLATE FOR WRIST DEVELOLPMENT?

f1perez-you should be fine with the basic moves that dont tax the grip like pressing,squats,rows and deadlifts with straps. Just use common sense. stuff like farmers walks, wrist curl work etc. I would say lay off for the 8 wks and when your done go back to them. Good Luck! Austin

I think you will be fine and could even gain strength. just specialize on the squat, deadlift, any pressing you can think of and some heavy back work and you wont lose strength. just use straps on stuff that taxes the grip. Good Luck-Austin my gym lifts didnt suffer at all while on kta.