Nails and Ales for ALS II

Donc101

We had our 2nd ALS research fundraiser/ world record steel bending feat event Saturday. Huge success. I will do a detailed write up soon. Was able to bend 375 x 3/8” x 12” spikes. Here is the full video:

• Like 6

Here are pictures of the damage done to my hands:

D7DC3861-D25B-45C2-A800-0FB4369ABE12.jpeg

2CD6826D-8CAA-4C98-B790-F109599C312F.jpeg

• Like 6

HELL YEA DUDE

that's giving it your all, blood sweat and bending ,all for a good cause

• Like 3

NAILS AND ALES FOR ALS II

Nails and Ales for ALS 2 was a huge success. We raised over 10k for ALS research to help beat this nasty disease. I was highly motivated for this event as it was done to honor my friend and brother, Scott Smith, who is fighting ALS. We were college wrestling teammates and this disease has hit him so hard.  In less than 2 years, he can no longer walk or talk.  This is our event page, which tells the whole story of the event: https://fundraise.als.net/nailsforales

Last year for the first Nails and Ales event, I was able to bend 831 x 60d nails in 3 hours 54 minutes and 34 seconds, which is recognized as the world record for most 60d nails bent. This year, I decided to try to set a new world record for bending 3/8” x 12” spikes.  Each bend is much more difficult than a 60d nail and takes more out of you.  In training, the most I had done was 75 spikes.  I hoped to get to 200 on feat day. My wife thought I would get to 175 spikes. Chris Stilwell said he thought I would get to 275 spikes.  I brought 3 boxes of 125 spikes, 375 spikes total.  If you would have asked me the morning of the event, I would have thought there was almost no chance to bend all 375.  However, I was able to push past the pain and fatigue and bend all 375 spikes.  The level of soreness from this feat is crazy. My tendons in my forearms have a very deep aching soreness. Also, my back, traps and entire core are severely sore.  Some soreness in my legs too.  It was a great day with so much support from friends and family. It was held at Founders Brewery in Detroit again. Here are some stats from the event:

• 50 spikes in 18 minutes and 30m seconds
  • 100 spikes in 38 minutes and 50 seconds
  • 125 spikes (1 full box) in 51 minutes and 28 seconds
  • 150 spikes in 1 hour and 4 seconds
  • 200 spikes in 1 hour, 26 minutes and 35 seconds
  • 250 spikes (2 full boxes) in 1 hour and 49 minutes
  • 300 spikes in 2 hours, 20 minutes and 40 seconds
  • 350 spikes in 2 hours and 44 minutes
  • 375 spikes (3 full boxes) in 2 hours, 57 minutes and 32 seconds
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

NAILS AND ALES FOR ALS II

Nails and Ales for ALS 2 was a huge success. We raised over 10k for ALS research to help beat this nasty disease. I was highly motivated for this event as it was done to honor my friend and brother, Scott Smith, who is fighting ALS. We were college wrestling teammates and this disease has hit him so hard.  In less than 2 years, he can no longer walk or talk.  This is our event page, which tells the whole story of the event: https://fundraise.als.net/nailsforales

Last year for the first Nails and Ales event, I was able to bend 831 x 60d nails in 3 hours 54 minutes and 34 seconds, which is recognized as the world record for most 60d nails bent. This year, I decided to try to set a new world record for bending 3/8” x 12” spikes.  Each bend is much more difficult than a 60d nail and takes more out of you.  In training, the most I had done was 75 spikes.  I hoped to get to 200 on feat day. My wife thought I would get to 175 spikes. Chris Stilwell said he thought I would get to 275 spikes.  I brought 3 boxes of 125 spikes, 375 spikes total.  If you would have asked me the morning of the event, I would have thought there was almost no chance to bend all 375.  However, I was able to push past the pain and fatigue and bend all 375 spikes.  The level of soreness from this feat is crazy. My tendons in my forearms have a very deep aching soreness. Also, my back, traps and entire core are severely sore.  Some soreness in my legs too.  It was a great day with so much support from friends and family. It was held at Founders Brewery in Detroit again. Here are some stats from the event:

• 50 spikes in 18 minutes and 30m seconds
  • 100 spikes in 38 minutes and 50 seconds
  • 125 spikes (1 full box) in 51 minutes and 28 seconds
  • 150 spikes in 1 hour and 4 seconds
  • 200 spikes in 1 hour, 26 minutes and 35 seconds
  • 250 spikes (2 full boxes) in 1 hour and 49 minutes
  • 300 spikes in 2 hours, 20 minutes and 40 seconds
  • 350 spikes in 2 hours and 44 minutes
  • 375 spikes (3 full boxes) in 2 hours, 57 minutes and 32 seconds

You are such a good friend.  My mom, aunt and grandma suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis, which is a terrible auto immune disorder. Some day I am going to put something together similar to raise money to fight that disease.  

I hope you are taking it easy the next week.

• Like 4

After the event, I just sort of threw everything in my gym. Cleaning everything up today.  The wraps are pretty gnarly with blood stains. Here is one of the wraps.

9C29F298-42B4-4827-A700-D8118A72146D.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

After the event, I just sort of threw everything in my gym. Cleaning everything up today.  The wraps are pretty gnarly with blood stains. Here is one of the wraps.

9C29F298-42B4-4827-A700-D8118A72146D.jpeg

You could auction that off like Curt Schillings sock.

• Haha 2