5 - 10# Pinch

climber511

Pinch grip work was last night. Finished up with my usual attempt on 5 - 10# plates. Grabbed them and I be darned if they didn't come up about two inches before the bottoms spread and they fell. That's twice as high as last time. If I was 4' tall, that would be a full deadlift. I've been working on them with a pipe through the holes like you all said to do and that's pretty esy now, but take the pipe out, and they still don't come up. It's starting to "feel" like I can do it now when I grab them, so I think it's just a matter of time. Tried 6 - 10# plates, now that's not gonna happen any time soon, if ever. Hands may not be big enough and sure as heck aren't strong enough to even get a grip. You guys have any more tips on training for this one?

Just like oldguy said, also keep adding weight with the pipe setup, and dont be afraid to go well above the 50 lbs. once you can do the 5-10's plus weight you should be able to keep the 5 plates from sliding. Good Luck

Pinch grip night again tonight - had a really good workout. Passed 2 - 25# plates back and forth. Picked up 2- 35# plates to full DL with right hand and almost full with left hand. Added weight to my 5 - 10# plates - did 5-10s on a pipe plus 2-5# plates - got it with both hands to full DL, still couldn't lift them without the pipe. Tried 6-10s with pipe and broke it off the floor both left and right hands - surprised me big time. Then did 40# on my 1/4" thick plate - 5# better than last time. A great night for me. Thanks for all the tips everyone.

Pinch grip night again last night - I think I've been doing too much as nothing seemed to want to move. I did get the 2 - 35# with my left hand this time to full DL but the 5 - 10# were glued to the floor until I put in the pipe - then I could only pick them up with 1 - 5# plate added. Went backwards this time, I think I'll back off a little, the outside (extensor) side of my forearms are very sore - I think it's the bending and the dynamic block tossing. I really need to listen to you guys better about doing too much.

Old Guy

The pipe is a piece of PVC that measures 1.90" and is 12" long, weighs next to nothing. The plates are mixed - 4 pretty new Yorks (hole measures 2.07") and one Barbell brand (hole measures 2.21"). All plates have the same diameter. The plates can lean a good little bit but they can't slide or spread too far. I want to go somewhere and try some older plates that aren't so slick - maybe it will help some. But I really think I still have a little ways to go before I can control them enough to do a full dead lift with them. As high as I've got them so far without the pipe is a couple inches off the floor. With the pipe I can pass them hand to hand sometimes but only very slowly with a careful "set" and not every time. My best with the pipe is with an added 10#. I've thought about trying a sheet of thin sandpaper in between plates but haven't yet - ever try that? I'm open to suggestions, if anyone has any. Thanks

Climber511,

Glad to see your still at that challenge, I've only tried it once and it was very humbling to say the least. From my own limited experience I would say the ol' pinch grip strength is pretty specific to what width you actually train. So maybe for variety in your training you could make a pinch block the exact width that the total plates you wanted to lift.

Jon@han

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go again - pinch grip night. I have my PDA Blobette now - sweet!

Tonight went like this

2-25# plates- passed to each hand 5 times

2 - 35# plates - full DL with each hand

2 - 45# plates - didn't even wiggle

Blobette - it's shot loaded to 20# right now while I try to adjust to the curved sides - did tosses back and forth for 20 each side. Didn't try any added weight , I was feeling strong and wanted to save myself for the 5-10# plates to come.

5 - 10# plates - right hand came up maybe 3" or 4" off the floor - best so far

- left hand came up just enoungh to clear the floor

5 - 10# plates with pipe plus 10# added - was able to hand it back and forth very slowly with a "set" of the hand each time - got 3 passes before dropping them.

5 - 10# plates plus 15# - just too darn tired- couldn't move it.

I want to try working the Blobette more now as it seems to work my fingertip grip more which is what i feel I need on the 5 - 10s.

Try also making a wooden pinch block that is as wide as you are able to pinch. Say about the width of 6 x 10 lb plates. I have my Blobette load to 31 lbs currently. I am trying not to put too much shot into it as it could get messy trying to remove it!

Old Guy - how are you liking your Blobette? I just got mine and have only done the one workout with it so far. and I think it's great. I thought about getting the shot out so I tried it - just held the hole down and kind of poked a nail in when it got stopped up. I don't think you could ever get all the shot out but why would you want to? Getting most of it out will be easy. I think. I think next time I'll try adding some weight and seeing how much I can pick up with it. My plan is to keep it at a weight that I can toss hand to hand and add weight by using a strap with plates for max work. Tossing tonight was pretty easy so I'll add shot for next time. I like the way the "catching" works my hands. After reading your idea about the 6 - 10# plates width; I measured and six 10s are just a hair over 5" so I'll be making a 5" pinch block to train on - thanks for the idea and all of everyone's help.

Climber and Old Guy,

How small is that loading hole?

I just ordered a blobette last week and am looking foward to playing with it.

How do you guys like it and is it pretty indestructable if you happen to drop it?

Thanks,

Steve B.

The loading hole is 5/8'' wide and needs a 5/16'' hex head wrench to remove the brass plug. When filling with lead shot use the widest possible funnel spout that will go into the opening. This will make it easier for the leadshot to flow in. Be careful not to add more weight than you can lift as it is tricky removing shot from the Blobette. It seems indestructable, but I advise dropping it onto thick padding rather than a solid surface.