Blacksmith513 training log

Blacksmith513

11 hours ago, Gripperer said:

It's funny because our methods are completely different.

You're training specific movements at low overall volume to achieve specific strength goals, not really caring about size (I think).

I'm training pretty much all facets at high overall volume to achieve rounded strength, with a focus on hypertrophy.

In fact, I even have an experiment going on within this where I'm seeing what happens to my gripper performance despite training everything but grippers, to see what crossover there is. Which is the opposite of specific!

Good to see variety in the grip world.

I've been doing this experiment myself and have had interesting and bizare results. So my silver bullet has substantially improved from all of the thick bar & pinch work. However my actual gripper closes where the handles touch have gone down in RGC. Not alot but it is noticeable. Also my setting technique has regressed which was to be expected. I'm curious to hear about how you make out with yours 👍

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

I've been doing this experiment myself and have had interesting and bizare results. So my silver bullet has substantially improved from all of the thick bar & pinch work. However my actual gripper closes where the handles touch have gone down in RGC. Not alot but it is noticeable. Also my setting technique has regressed which was to be expected. I'm curious to hear about how you make out with yours 👍

Hm that is quite curious. I was slightly but noticeably better at grippers after I'd not touched them for 1.5 months (roughly) and had been following the all-round routine.

For you I wonder if the pinch work has been beefing up the thumb, I find that to be an underexamined aspect of gripper closing. Seems to act like an anchor against which the fingers can do their work. And maybe it's most important for the first part of the close but not the last bit (making you good at silver bullet but worse at full close).

?? No idea really. 

Edited by Gripperer
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Gripperer said:

Hm that is quite curious. I was slightly but noticeably better at grippers after I'd not touched them for 1.5 months (roughly) and had been following the all-round routine.

For you I wonder if the pinch work has been beefing up the thumb, I find that to be an underexamined aspect of gripper closing. Seems to act like an anchor against which the fingers can do their work. And maybe it's most important for the first part of the close but not the last bit (making you good at silver bullet but worse at full close).

?? No idea really. 

Grippers are really strange. When I first got them, I could close the 1 and 1.5 if I was rested. There where a few times I I got close to a #2.  But like I said, I had no idea what I was doing and was constantly doing way to much volume in a circuit... Thats why everything was always inconsistent..  I've learned that I'm real weak in the close. Once I start again, I'm going to focus on deep sets and and get stronger there.  

I ordered some drill rod.. It should be here tomorrow. Hopefully I can cut them up for Thursdays workout. 

Jedd told me I use too much wrist when bending.  I think thats part of the reason the Wrist Developer killed my wrists so much early on. So I'm going to try and use more of my upper body and make more videos.  My wrist strength isn't anything great compared to some of you here, but i'm pretty confident my wrist  way above my grip strength.  I can lever my 14lbs sledge but my arm drops a little. I would like to be able to strictly lever that in the next few months. Maybe get to my 16lbs by the end of the year.  

I need to find a way to do band assisted inch lifts...  I don't  have a squat rack. Don't really want one either as space is limited.  Its trashy, but I have some staging I could set up in my back yard and probably do it like that.  But anyone have any other ideas?

• Like 2

I'm "neglecting" grippers lately, but because all the other grip work my parallel choked strength is about the same. Because it doesn't require technique 😅... but same as @Bigfoot Grip, my setting technique is getting worse. 

@Blacksmith513 have fun with the drill rods! Not sure how you plan to cut it, but if you plan to use bolt cutters, cover the shorter side of the rod with a towel because high carbon steel can really fly off (can hurt yourself, furniture, pets..). 

Regarding the reverse bending technique, I'm sure Jedd can help a lot. I cannot give you advice with reverse, but in general: watch all the Horrido reverse cert videos + David Horne reverse videos. I watched so many DU videos it's crazy. From the good benders, I watched the critical parts at 0.5/0.25 speed (Youtube speed setting) and made notes. 

About the inch: What about looping the band around your body? Like a shoulder cross strap. Just an idea. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Gripperer said:

?? No idea really. 

I think you're correct in your thinking. My best guess is it's the thumb pad growth which helped me on the SB 🤔 

I've mentioned to other gripsters on here in the past that I've noticed at least in the initial stages the thinner pinch(50mm) seemed to help strengthen the fingers nicely and I felt carryover to the grippers. However over time I'd speculate there is diminishing returns. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Grippers are really strange. When I first got them, I could close the 1 and 1.5 if I was rested. There where a few times I I got close to a #2.  But like I said, I had no idea what I was doing and was constantly doing way to much volume in a circuit... Thats why everything was always inconsistent..  I've learned that I'm real weak in the close. Once I start again, I'm going to focus on deep sets and and get stronger there.  

I ordered some drill rod.. It should be here tomorrow. Hopefully I can cut them up for Thursdays workout. 

Jedd told me I use too much wrist when bending.  I think thats part of the reason the Wrist Developer killed my wrists so much early on. So I'm going to try and use more of my upper body and make more videos.  My wrist strength isn't anything great compared to some of you here, but i'm pretty confident my wrist  way above my grip strength.  I can lever my 14lbs sledge but my arm drops a little. I would like to be able to strictly lever that in the next few months. Maybe get to my 16lbs by the end of the year.  

I need to find a way to do band assisted inch lifts...  I don't  have a squat rack. Don't really want one either as space is limited.  Its trashy, but I have some staging I could set up in my back yard and probably do it like that.  But anyone have any other ideas?

I can relate about using too much wrist lol. I love training wrists but sometimes I find myself not lifting in an optimal manner for grip sport/armlifting. Your sledge work is very impressive especially compared to your grip strength. With stronger hands I'd imagine you will get better results 💪

Not the same exercise as band assisted inch work but another option can be to lift inch style bells from very elevated heights. Like a block pull in powerlifting. This guys video helped motivate me alot!

• Like 2

@Bigfoot Grip Thanks for the kind words. You are right, once I get my grip strength up I think my wrist strength will sky rocket. Levering was something I could just always do. 

@matek Thanks, thats a good idea but I need something that can assist me to lift it 8 inches for 8-10 seconds. Once I do that, lower the band so its carrying less weight and rinse and repeat.. I'm going to either use a cut off saw or hack saw to cut the drill rod. I do have bolt cutters, but youre right about high carbon steel. 

yesterday was 30 minutes on the rowing machine, 10 minutes of yoga in morning and 10 minutes at night

today

calisthenics

Two handed inch lifts 3x3 felt a little lighter this week. Hopefully in a few months I can do one handed negatives

RGT 3x2

70lbs easy

75lbs still easy but did it twice because camera didn't record first time

80lbs, no go... dropped weight to 77.5 got a couple crappy reps in.

Napalm Nightmare with 2 3/8 never used it before.. I'm excited, I know i'm going to build some strength with this thing.  140lbs wasn't too hard. But I'm dropping the weight 20lbs or so next session and just build up from there

80x3

105x3

140x2  

140x1  

Chest Krusher

3 springs 8 reps 6 reps

4 springs 2 sets of 1

cool down. 

• Like 5

yesterday I rowed 30 minutes

Today

some quick calisthenics... 

Wrist Devloper orange spring 3 reps level 1, 2 reps level 2, w reps level 3... Its actually a lot easier now that i'm using my whole body, instead of just my wrist.

levered with 14lbs sledge hammer about 2/3s down on handle 3x3 twice... 

3x3 with my 10lbs sledge

bent one 60d spiral

one 60d regular

tried bending two 60d spirals taped together. Got a little kink, I think if I was really fresh I could have braced bent it. 

one 60d that I snapped took about 9 minutes. I only ever snapped one other 60d.. The spirals are easy to snap.   i like snapping more than bending. I really get into it, its like a fight.  

cooled down. 

Not my best workout but far from my worst. I've got my every two month sinus infection from the crap I breath in at work. 

15 minutes of yoga tonight.

• Like 6

Not bad for not feeling good 

hope you feel better soon 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Not bad for not feeling good 

hope you feel better soon 

Thanks. I’ve always had bad sinuses. Last week I took apart a moldy wall and it set I’d off.  It wasn’t a lot so I didn’t put a mask on, but that’s all it takes sometimes. Shame on me.

Last night rowed 6000 meters in 30 minutes...  Not bad considering I normally do it in the morning, was in the heat all day, had one beer and a little bit of Mary Jane before hand.. Dont use much of either but I might stop using both of them.  We will see. 

today

calistenics

RGT

65x3

67.5x 3

70x 3

Loadable dumbbelll

55x2

60x2

70x2

ThumblessRGT holds

45 x 10 seconds

47.5 10 seconds

50x 10 seconds

Napalm Nightmare 2 3/8

8x80

6x105

4x130

2x140

2x150

Horseshoe bender 2 springs

5x2

3 reps

Chest Krusher

3 springs 

1x10

1x8

4 springs 

2x1

dead hangs from rings

10x2 sledge rotations

cool down. 

now i'm off to work, will do some sledge swinging when I get home.

• Like 6

Killer workout 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Killer workout 

Thanks, I felt really good about this one.

after work I had a good session of swings. 1 arm swings with a 20lbs sledge is a killer workout. Trying to get to 1 arm 30lbs swings.

also bent a 60d spiral while holding my 70lbs nephew in my arms.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Last night rowed 6000 meters in 30 minutes...  Not bad considering I normally do it in the morning, was in the heat all day, had one beer and a little bit of Mary Jane before hand.. Dont use much of either but I might stop using both of them.  We will see. 

today

calistenics

RGT

65x3

67.5x 3

70x 3

Loadable dumbbelll

55x2

60x2

70x2

ThumblessRGT holds

45 x 10 seconds

47.5 10 seconds

50x 10 seconds

Napalm Nightmare 2 3/8

8x80

6x105

4x130

2x140

2x150

Horseshoe bender 2 springs

5x2

3 reps

Chest Krusher

3 springs 

1x10

1x8

4 springs 

2x1

dead hangs from rings

10x2 sledge rotations

cool down. 

now i'm off to work, will do some sledge swinging when I get home.

Love all of that thick bar volume! Great way to get strong 💪

• Like 1

Yesterday was 6500 meters on the Concept 2 in 35 minutes.  Its a nice moderate pace. plus 20 minutes of yoga

today

calisthenics

2 handed inch lifts 3x3

My first attempts at band assisted inch lifts.. I need to make adjustments but it should work. I consider this sets "warm ups" not "misses". It was 6am, I couldn't make noise with adjustments.

nhttps://www.youtube.com/shorts/nWmqEZxDn7E

Napalm Nightmare 2x5 pinch blocks I think they are.. Never used them before 3x3 with 80lbs.. Felt easy

Chest Krusher 2 springs arms held out further

8 reps

2 or 3 sets of 20 reps. 

cooldown

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yesterday was 6500 meters on the Concept 2 in 35 minutes.  Its a nice moderate pace. plus 20 minutes of yoga

today

calisthenics

2 handed inch lifts 3x3

My first attempts at band assisted inch lifts.. I need to make adjustments but it should work. I consider this sets "warm ups" not "misses". It was 6am, I couldn't make noise with adjustments.

nhttps://www.youtube.com/shorts/nWmqEZxDn7E

Napalm Nightmare 2x5 pinch blocks I think they are.. Never used them before 3x3 with 80lbs.. Felt easy

Chest Krusher 2 springs arms held out further

8 reps

2 or 3 sets of 20 reps. 

cooldown

We look similar in build, what are your hand measurements? 

Also be careful of your back, I think the set up is preventing you from doing so but more of a central position would be safe, with the weight directly underneath. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gripperer said:

We look similar in build, what are your hand measurements? 

Also be careful of your back, I think the set up is preventing you from doing so but more of a central position would be safe, with the weight directly underneath. 

Thanks and you are right.I don't know what my hands are I think between 7 3/4-8".  I have to work on that setup. I'm going to lay a plank across the staging  and stand inside, and hang the bands off that.I also need to order two of the same bands.

Between working out in the 90+ degrees just about every day the last month, and life this was my first chance to even give this thing a try since hiring Jedd. Even then I only had like 45 minutes to set that up. I'm actually embarrassed, it looks like something out of a 3rd world country.  But it was a start and I learned a few things. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Thanks and you are right.I don't know what my hands are I think between 7 3/4-8".  I have to work on that setup. I'm going to lay a plank across the staging  and stand inside, and hang the bands off that.I also need to order two of the same bands.

Between working out in the 90+ degrees just about every day the last month, and life this was my first chance to even give this thing a try since hiring Jedd. Even then I only had like 45 minutes to set that up. I'm actually embarrassed, it looks like something out of a 3rd world country.  But it was a start and I learned a few things. 

Ha ha, it's makeshift as hell but that's part of the fun. And it can be where some of the best gains are made. 

• Like 4

Yesteray I had a bonus grip day. We had to do a block foundation.. Block work is fun, laying the block farmer carry a bunch of block, mix a bunch of mortar,  pointing the joints. I really love masonry and wish we did it more.  I'd rather be in the sun laying block than renovating some old hags bathroom. 

When I got home I did 6500 meters on the Concept 2 and 20 minutes of yoga.

Today

calistenics

14lbs sledge 3x3

15 inch on handle 2

16inch on handle  x1

Bending

warm up w/ WD2

Reverse 

60D spiral half inch cut off

60D half inch cut off

two sets of Iso w/ G5 bolt 1/4 x6" got a small kink in it

60D spiral inch cut off reverse with right hand then snap which took 16 minutes.  I was  and am SPENT. Luckily we are having a little late start to work.

Did not notice it too be much harder bending shorter 60ds but snapping the spiral with an inch cut off was really really hard. But i wasn't giving up. 

cool down with bands and Sidewinder grip twister

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 7

yesterday was 2000 meters on C2 in 9 minutes.

Today 

Calisthenics

Loadable Dumbbell Level Lifts 3x2
Left
65 x 2
70 x 2  
60 x 2 

Right
65 x 2  
70 x 2 
60 x 2 

RGT Deadlifts 3x3
Left
65 x 3 
70 x3  (
75 x3  
Right
65 x 3  
70 x 3   
70 x 3  

Left
50 x   10  ct 

52.5 x10  ct 
55 x   10  ct 
Righ
50 x   10  ct
52.5 x10   ct 
55 x    7  ct 

NN2&3/8 TRIPLES 3x3
130 x 3(80x8
135 x 3 (105x6
130 x 3 (130x4
135 x 3(140x2
140 x 3 (150x2

Sledge rotations 2x10

Horshoebender 4x3 two springs

Chest Krusher 2 springs 2 sets of 30

And for the first time in a year, I forged something today at the blacksmiths association i'm a member of.. I asked about making a horse shoe.. They said I should start by making a heart out of an old horse shoe.  Everyone said it looked good. It was a good workout too. I'm finally at a place where I should have some more time to forge.

Made a leaf too, but I left it there.

horseshoe.jpeg

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 6

You can add 20 minutes of yoga and 60 16lbs sledge swings I call it Fedor Emelianenko style and 40 more w/ 20lbs sledge same style. 

Just discovered that style. Works the core really well. 

• Like 1

yesterday was 6500 meters on C2 and stretching

today

cut workout a little short but did some calisthenics

2 hand inch lifts

3x3 each hand

inch thigh holds, not sure i did it right but

3x10 seconds each hand

RGT

72.5x2

77.5 got a couple reps with left hand, but not consective

dropped to 75x2

82.5 negatives x 2 each  hand

My left hand is like 5lbs stronger than my right hand it seems

Chest Krusher 3springs. My strength has been hit and miss with this lately. Not sure why.

3 sets of 5

cool down

Ive been really tired these past 3 days.  My family doesn't get it because i'm still young but If I don't get some rest on the weekends it really affects my workouts.  I'm far from lazy but my Dad and bro make me feel guilty if I want to have a lazy Saturday or Sunday once in a while.

They aren't up at 430-5am working out 6 days a week (Ok Saturday's I start around 6:30-7) or nearly as much manual work as me. 

• Like 7

they will come around some day

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

they will come around some day

I've found that one day month, is all I need. I'll work weekends and love going out and having fun, but I just need that one day. 

No sledge swinging tonight or stretching.

I've always been able to eat a lot, but since starting this new routine I can eat even more.  Saturday after blacksmithing, i had a steak and cheese sub, bag of chips, a whole sleeve of graham crackers with milk (poor mans cereal) and a protein shake loaded with peanut butter.

I now need a second a-hole to keep up with my mouth!

• Like 1