Home Depot

Guest Cap

Just got back from my local home depot (West Roxbury Mass) and while I was there buying sandbag materials, and some chains I came across some huge nails.  They had 60d for 16cents so I bought four(not that I can even get close to bending them), and they had some 8, 10, and 12 inch nails if I remember correctly.  The biggest ones were as thick as my middle finger must have been close to an inch in diameter.  

The 60d seems like a decent goal for the future, but I have new respect for you guys that can bend this stuff!!!!   One question I have only recently begun bending usually in two hands together at index fingers and bending down.  However I have a strained rotator cuff/bicep tendon injury which this tends to aggrevate especially the bicep tendon.  Anyone else have problems like this from bending?

If i am correct that would mean that the nails 12inch are aproximatly 120d, is there anyone ever who could bend this?  Even using ones leg?

(Edited by Cap at 3:32 pm on Mar. 9, 2001)

Guest Danjo

60d cost you 16 cents? Home Depot has them for 4 cents each here in California. Hmmm.

Well Charles Atlas bent a 12 inch X 3/8 inch nail in the A&E bio. John Brookfield has bent 100 penny nails (which are harder that the 120's), and our own Tom Black has bent them a little bit so far, and will doubtless finish one off in the near future--how's that for pressure Tom?---so this is all feasible. I don't know much about the injury that you're talking about.

The shiny galvanized nails available at Home Depot are about the hardest to bend 60-pennies that I have come across.  Try to find a 60-penny “common” nail (plain steel) at another store.  I’ve been calling those 12” nails 120-penny.  They are not for beginners, it has taken me many years to get this far!  I’ve consistently bent 1 each week now for 3 weeks, all about the same distance (~1.75” from straight).  I’ve been told they require 500-600 pounds of force to bend.  I brace them on the side of my leg.  I’m not so sure of the “near future,” seems like I’m getting stuck at the same point each week.

(Edited by Tom Black at 7:13 am on Mar. 10, 2001)

Thanks for the responses.  Tom you are a animal.  I tried those 60d last night and struggled but I felt it bend a little, when I looked down I was so excited, image a little bend in a 60d.... The darn thing was as straight as a ruler!!!!!

I have been wrapping the center of my nails with a couple layers of duct tape to gradually add resistence, think this is a good idea.  Also have bent 2 20d taped together at ends, is this close to a 40d nail??

It does seem like the 60’s bend a little even when they didn’t bend, it’s just the cloth rolling around.  I’ve never wrapped the center as you described.  Try it for a couple of workouts and report back, it seems like it might work a little.  I assume you are wrapping the 20d, since you can’t bend the 60’s.  I don’t know if 2x20d equals a 40d.  Buy some 40d and test them yourself.  If the 40-penny nails are too hard you are no where near the 60-pennies, as Danjo discovered there is a big difference between the 40 and the 60-penny.

Guest Danjo

Tom is quite correct about the difference between the 60d's and 40d's. I can bend even the hardest 40 now as easily as I used to be able to bend the 20d's--yes there ARE differences between different types of 40d's just like 60d's---but bending a 60d for me requires EVERYTHING that I have. It comes close to being a religious experience it's so hard.