Full Forearm routine with just Sledgehammer Levering, DB Wrist Flexion/Extention and Plate Pinches?

Fibro229

Going in all the directions, I would get;

Ulna and Radial deviation, Pronation and Supination.

Plus plate pinches and wrist flexion/extension.

Is that an all round good mass building routine? I want giant forearms lol.

• Like 1

@DevilErikHi Devil, I trust your opinion. I have a question. So, with the top post in mind, would sledgehammer levering in all the directions alone substitute for wrist flexion/extension? (Like wrist curls/wrist extension curls?) Or would I have to include that separately? 

Forearm musculature wise, I don't want to leave anything out while I plan out a routine that I'll do for months.

Thanks.

Edited by Fibro229
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Fibro229 said:

@DevilErikHi Devil, I trust your opinion. I have a question. So, with the top post in mind, would sledgehammer levering in all the directions alone substitute for wrist flexion/extension? (Like wrist curls/wrist extension curls?) Or would I have to include that separately? 

Forearm musculature wise, I don't want to leave anything out while I plan out a routine that I'll do for months.

Thanks.

Ulnar and radial deviation do train the same muscles as wrist curls and wrist extensions but if you want the most mass possible including all of them is the best thing to do so I wouldn't leave out wrist curls and wrist extensions.

You also forgot to include circumduction which is basically using your wrist like a ball joint you can do this clockwise and counter clockwise.

The static exercises like plate pinches do contribute to forearm size but static exercises in general are terrible for hypertrophy.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Thanks 1

Also don't forget about your brachioradialis make sure to also include hammer curls and reverse curls.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Ulnar and radial deviation do train the same muscles as wrist curls and wrist extensions but if you want the most mass possible including all of them is the best thing to do so I wouldn't leave out wrist curls and wrist extensions.

You also forgot to include circumduction which is basically using your wrist like a ball joint you can do this clockwise and counter clockwise.

Hi, thanks for the quick response! 

I thought so, I broke out the anatomy books and was unsure on if I'm double training certain parts. 

Okay makes sense, I guess that would just be rolling the wrist around with the sledgehammer, wow the sledgehammer is overpowered, lol.

So how is this for a routine. 

3 sets of 15-20 reps - Sledgehammer ulnar and radial deviation, pronation and supination. (Going through each direction back to back without rest, to save time and by the time I get back to the first direction, it'll be rested enough)

3 sets of 15-20 reps - DB Wrist Flexion

3 sets of 15-20 reps - DB Wrist Extension

3 sets of 10-15 seconds - Plate Pinches

How does that sound? I think I've covered it all. Purely to build mass.

Thanks.

Edited by Fibro229
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Fibro229 said:

Hi, thanks for the quick response! 

I thought so, I broke out the anatomy books and was unsure on if I'm double training certain parts. 

Okay makes sense, I guess that would just be rolling the wrist around with the sledgehammer, wow the sledgehammer is overpowered, lol.

So how is this for a routine. 

3 sets of 15-20 reps - Sledgehammer ulnar and radial deviation, pronation and supination. (Going through each direction back to back without rest, to save time and by the time I get back to the first direction, it'll be rested enough)

3 sets of 15-20 reps - DB Wrist Flexion

3 sets of 15-20 reps - DB Wrist Extension

3 sets of 10-15 seconds - Plate Pinches

How does that sound? I think I've covered it all. Purely to build mass.

Thanks.

It depends on whether or not you are able to recover from it.

We all have different recovery rates and we can't all handle the same amount of volume.

I don't know how many sets you can handle you should figure that out for yourself.

Use multiple rep ranges not just 15-20.

Include sets of 6-10 and sets of 15-20.

1 minute ago, DevilErik said:

It depends on whether or not you are able to recover from it.

We all have different recovery rates and we can't all handle the same amount of volume.

I don't know how many sets you can handle you should figure that out for yourself.

Use multiple rep ranges not just 15-20.

Include sets of 6-10 and sets of 15-20.

Oh okay I see. But does that seem like adequate volume for forearms? (I'm not entirely sure about what's ideal. Ie, for chest training there's set guidelines.)

12 sets 3x a week seems like a lot, on top of gym lifting too, hmmm.

I know we're different people. But how many sets are you getting in for forearms per week?

Thanks.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Fibro229 said:

Oh okay I see. But does that seem like adequate volume for forearms? (I'm not entirely sure about what's ideal. Ie, for chest training there's set guidelines.)

12 sets 3x a week seems like a lot, on top of gym lifting too, hmmm.

I know we're different people. But how many sets are you getting in for forearms per week?

Thanks.

I'd say 10-20 the amount you'd do for larger muscle groups.

I only do 1 single for each angle of the wrist I only care about wrist strength.

For size I would probably do 1 set for each angle twice a week with different rep ranges.

It would probably look something like this:

Day 1: 6-10 reps

Wrist flexion

Wrist extension

Radial deviation 

Ulnar deviation

Pronation

Supination

Circumduction

Day 2: 15-20 reps same exercises

That's a total of 14 sets.

If you can handle more you could add more wrist flexion and wrist extension sets I guess and then for recovery add some light gripper closes and extensor band work that way you also have finger flexion and extension in your routine without beating you up.

Dynamic keypinch and dynamic pinch could probably also add some mass.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

I forgot to add hammer and reverse curls.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

This is the full routine:

Day 1: 6-10 reps (1 set)

Wrist flexion

Wrist extension

Radial deviation

Ulnar deviation

Pronation

Supination

Circumduction

Hammer curls (week 1) 

Reverse curls (week 2)

Day 2: 10-20 reps (1 set)

Wrist flexion

Wrist extension

Radial deviation

Ulnar deviation

Pronation 

Supination

Circumduction

Hammer curls (week 1)

Reverse curls (week 2)

Recovery:

Light gripper 3x20

Extensor bands 3x20

dynamic keypinch 3x20

dynamic pinch 3x20 

16 total sets for forearms+recovery sets.

The metabolic fatigue from the recovery sets will also add some mass.

Don't forget to rest between sets circuits and supersets are terrible for hypertrophy.

I am not saying this is the best routine but this is what I would do.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 1:45 AM, DevilErik said:

I'd say 10-20 the amount you'd do for larger muscle groups.

I only do 1 single for each angle of the wrist I only care about wrist strength.

For size I would probably do 1 set for each angle twice a week with different rep ranges.

It would probably look something like this:

Day 1: 6-10 reps

Wrist flexion

Wrist extension

Radial deviation 

Ulnar deviation

Pronation

Supination

Circumduction

Day 2: 15-20 reps same exercises

That's a total of 14 sets.

If you can handle more you could add more wrist flexion and wrist extension sets I guess and then for recovery add some light gripper closes and extensor band work that way you also have finger flexion and extension in your routine without beating you up.

Dynamic keypinch and dynamic pinch could probably also add some mass.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Saw your full routine in your other quote too, thanks.

So I think I was pretty close in terms of including everything. I noticed you mentioned extensor band work, I trained that a lot last year, was under the impression that I'd get a stronger forearm due to a more balanced co-contraction of the finger extensors to flexors. Surprisingly worked really well.

How do I train circumduction properly? It seems that a lot of momentum can be used in this. Shall I just go extra slow? Haha.

Have you ever trained plate pinches?

By the way, what are your strength feats as far as forearms are concerned? Any progress pictures?

Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fibro229 said:

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Saw your full routine in your other quote too, thanks.

So I think I was pretty close in terms of including everything. I noticed you mentioned extensor band work, I trained that a lot last year, was under the impression that I'd get a stronger forearm due to a more balanced co-contraction of the finger extensors to flexors. Surprisingly worked really well.

How do I train circumduction properly? It seems that a lot of momentum can be used in this. Shall I just go extra slow? Haha.

Have you ever trained plate pinches?

By the way, what are your strength feats as far as forearms are concerned? Any progress pictures?

Thanks.

Yeah just go slow while doing circumduction.

I don't train plate pinches because I am not interested in the plate pinch feat I just use a pinch block.

I don't have any pictures.

I have never taken any progress pictures in my life because I really don't care.

This is me levering a 6kg or 13 lb sledgehammer.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/7/2022 at 1:32 PM, DevilErik said:

Yeah just go slow while doing circumduction.

I don't train plate pinches because I am not interested in the plate pinch feat I just use a pinch block.

I don't have any pictures.

I have never taken any progress pictures in my life because I really don't care.

This is me levering a 6kg or 13 lb sledgehammer.

Thanks for the information. 

So, here's my next dilemma. In plate pinches the plates get too thick. So I want to suspend them underneath using some kind of rope/cable. Is there a cable out the that snaps/connects to itself like a loop? (Similar to a bike lock, but without the lock, just a release button)

Something similar to this, but thicker/bigger, attached image, but here is the link to the image. https://imgur.com/CWWNpkk

Wow, impressive stuff. It doesn't sound tough, but I know full well that 6kg with a leverage like that is quite hard. 

How big are ur forearms. Inches? Mine are a similar size to my upper arm haha!

Screenshot_20220710-120903_Amazon Shopping~2.jpg

Edited by Fibro229
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fibro229 said:

Thanks for the information. 

So, here's my next dilemma. In plate pinches the plates get too thick. So I want to suspend them underneath using some kind of rope/cable. Is there a cable out the that snaps/connects to itself like a loop? (Similar to a bike lock, but without the lock, just a release button)

Something similar to this, but thicker/bigger, attached image, but here is the link to the image. https://imgur.com/CWWNpkk

Wow, impressive stuff. It doesn't sound tough, but I know full well that 6kg with a leverage like that is quite hard. 

How big are ur forearms. Inches? Mine are a similar size to my upper arm haha!

Screenshot_20220710-120903_Amazon Shopping~2.jpg

Don't do that just get thinner plates for plate pinching.

This is going to make it easier to lift them and will end up making you weaker.

My forearms aren't that big for my size.

They are 13.3 inches cold and 15 inches flexed if I remember correctly which isn't big at all for someone who's 6'4 and weighs 265 LBS.

I honestly have no idea how to get good at plate pinching.

You will have to ask other people.

I just can't imagine making it easier is going to help you but I could be wrong about that like I said ask someone else.

Edited by DevilErik

Pinching bricks or rocks can be a good alternative too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevilErik said:

Don't do that just get thinner plates for plate pinching.

This is going to make it easier to lift them and will end up making you weaker.

My forearms aren't that big for my size.

They are 13.3 inches cold and 15 inches flexed if I remember correctly which isn't big at all for someone who's 6'4 and weighs 265 LBS.

I honestly have no idea how to get good at plate pinching.

You will have to ask other people.

I just can't imagine making it easier is going to help you but I could be wrong about that like I said ask someone else.

What do you mean? How would it make you weaker?

My plan was to have 1 plate that I can grip, then loop a rope through it and suspend extra plates below it. That way I can increase the load without making the plates too thick to grip.

Okay wow. How long have u been training? What's ur bf% at?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fibro229 said:

What do you mean? How would it make you weaker?

My plan was to have 1 plate that I can grip, then loop a rope through it and suspend extra plates below it. That way I can increase the load without making the plates too thick to grip.

Okay wow. How long have u been training? What's ur bf% at?

That will change the exercise and it won't be the same as actually holding the plate in your hand.

This will change the strength curve and turn it into a different exercise.

I had been training for 5+ years before I had to quit due to health issues I am currently sitting at approximately 20%.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2022 at 3:33 PM, DevilErik said:

That will change the exercise and it won't be the same as actually holding the plate in your hand.

This will change the strength curve and turn it into a different exercise.

I had been training for 5+ years before I had to quit due to health issues I am currently sitting at approximately 20%.

So, I don't understand how the strength curve would change, you're still holding the plate with the same muscles, just an additional one is added underneath, granted you don't sway the suspended one around, shouldn't it be exactly the same?

Interesting, did you ever suffer from having muscle imbalances?

Also, with all these planes of directions in training the forearm, how much carryover would it have to other lifts? Armwrestling? Pronation would help. But can you explain the carryover?

Thanks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fibro229 said:

So, I don't understand how the strength curve would change, you're still holding the plate with the same muscles, just an additional one is added underneath, granted you don't sway the suspended one around, shouldn't it be exactly the same?

Interesting, did you ever suffer from having muscle imbalances?

Also, with all these planes of directions in training the forearm, how much carryover would it have to other lifts? Armwrestling? Pronation would help. But can you explain the carryover?

Thanks.

No it will feel lighter at the bottom and heavier at the top.

A strength curve isn't about which muscles are being used it's about the amount of stress that is being placed on the muscles at different parts of the range of motion.

It's like comparing a regular bench press to a bench press with chains.

Yes my hamstrings were super weak because I wasn't able to train them due to an accident I have had when I was younger.

I used to have knee pain because I was quad dominant.

Always make sure you're posterior chain dominant.

Grip is ultra specific just train for the feats you want to accomplish I wouldn't worry too much about carry over if I were you.

I don't know anything about armwrestling I have heard that a sledgehammer can be benficial though.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

Just now, mfin77 said:

Any videos of cicumduction? How do you do that? 

You basically use your wrist like a ball joint you can do it clockwise and counter clockwise.

Look it up if it still doesn't make sense.

4 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

You basically use your wrist like a ball joint you can do it clockwise and counter clockwise.

Look it up if it still doesn't make sense.

Got it.  Thanks. I’ll give it a try   Do u find it works 

• Like 1

Just now, mfin77 said:

Got it.  Thanks. I’ll give it a try   Do u find it works 

What do you mean?

It should just use basic progressive overload.

Just now, mfin77 said:

For your goal of forearm growth?

Yeah it does work for forearm growth.

• Thanks 1