Standing Dumbbell Press

pexter

We DO have loadable dumbell handles also-made by jerry and he actually sent these bars off to be hardened.i don't know if PDA does this.His bars are just as strong as anything made.(he does NOT sell these he made them for us) we have access to loadable bars and have used them in the past. When multiple people working out together? they ARE a hassel and they are not as comfortable or easy to handle as the steel ones.

Hey, if these things suck so bad I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands if you want! ;)

It sounds like cost isn't an issue for you at your gym and I can respect that changin' weights for partners is a hassle. As for 25s shortening the ROM, I (bench) press with my hands kind of at a diagonal in between pronated(normal) and neutral grip, this creates a little extra space for rom when using 25s. As for the NFLer if he's like me, he might reasonably want to use loadables just because they aren't so freakin' long! But if your buddy can make em solid, shorter, and you don't have to pay for 'em, more power to ya! I'd rather have an eleico Oly set in my gym though then pay for dumbells...

Unfortunately the heaviest dumbells I have access to are 55kilos - what sort of gym is that??

The gym I am fortunate enough to work out at has 8,900lbs.........in just dumbells alone and are adding more.

I believe they now have 130 to 140 ,45lb plates.But...Only 4 100's though :blush gee i think i'll go up to the owner and complain about the shortage of hundreds.Those darn cheapskates :D

(i realize your gym has more than 55kg total weight...just made me think)

Tom,

There's plenty of 45's (probably 80+) and a couple of 25kg bumpers. There are no 100lb'rs though. I once tried to buy a pair of 50kg bumpers from a shop in Southampton cheaply (I knew the son of the owner) and was told that they only had one. Not very useful. There does seem to be a comparable shortage of dumbells in England, though.

I must say with all the equipment and weights at your gym it would be a damned insult if it didn't have all the strong athletes it does!!

This is for "the Mac'because i know these will cause him to crap his pants.

Also for Pexter.....who will probably be first to press a pair of 300#'s unless Josh gets there first.Two athletes better suited to this Task...is hard to imagine.i don't think thiese 700 and 800 pound benchers have the forearm/wrist/arm strength to do it....we'll see? :blush

what do ya think MAC?

Pexter?bigger toys for bigger boys ,eh?

more pics

Pair of 200#'s next to a 160....a 300# is suprisingly 'small'(DB is ALLcold rolled steel-hardened handles are an option)

Thanks.Wish i could say i made them.those pictured? just had the ends 'turned'...so the ends were beveled....if you look at the Bottom pic closely you will see that there is some rough texture to the steel/paint.That is because the entire head of the dumbell was not turned down.

The 'real'dumbells will be smoother,the entire weighted head of the dumbell will be turned down and sold unpainted.....they will just have a smooth shiney steel exterior.They look even better unpainted!!! :rock

Several reasons for shipping unpainted:Painting of course is an expense

Shipping a PAIR dumbells painted may mean when they show up to the customer there may be chips in the paint.

When utilizing a pair of dumbells....they DO hit together and chip

in normal use....but when it happens in the gym?and...thats ok..but if they show up that way??everybody is always dissapointed.

he IS thinking about having the guy that paints his bikes paint a monster dumbell wuth flames,skulls and such...like west Coast Chopper or Orange County chopper gas tanks.but again the reality of shipping DB's and then their use is......they take a lot of abuse.

I think there was a picture in Planet Muscle of an NFLer using 225s for flat bench. He had 25s on a loadable bar and the weight looked much more stable than an average 150.

I've been looking for this Pic and can't find it.i definitely believe it and have heard others talk about it.

If someone can find it?Please post a link or the web address......how many reps did this cat do?

A former NFL'er here at the gym said Randy 'the MANSTER'White of the old school Dallas Cowboys did reps of 8? or 10? with 200#'s('course the old 'manster' probably weighed LESS than 275#).....but I'd love to see this more recent pic.(anybody that does HEAVY dumbell presses knows 25# a side is a 'load' :blink

Also......makes ya think what could a big 'ol clydesdale like this press if he didn't spend half the year getting tore appart in practice and games??? :erm

I got to think potentially?the 'strongest man in the world'a title for the best strength ATHLETE is somewhere in the NFL....ditto best RAW powerlifter is probably making 'too much'money to risk the activity of powerlifting(or WSM)

I have seen Manster on highlight films. I always wondered if he lifted weights and how strong he was. The thing I remeber about him was his bull like neck. Wonder what some of his other lifts were?