Standing Dumbbell Press

pexter

Just did standing alternated dumbbell presses with 130 pounders.Cleaned to shoulders,Started palms facing in,and rotating to full lockout.Did 8 reps each.One day I would like to do a workout with Jedd & Smitty,mabey they can video tape my press on the Deisel crew network.

I will attempt 140's next week!!!

Just got my copy of (How to Bent press)an out of print book by Siegmund Klein.

A free gift sent to me by Dennis Rogers.Goes into great detail

on the lift,best I've seen so far.I will train for this lift!!!

Edited by pexter

Pexter-What can you bench? that is amazing. Im a 500 pound bencher and I cant do what you did. Nice work and destroy those 140's! Austin

I've always had strong shoulders,a genetic gift I suppose.My best bench was a

625lb with a single ply poly shirt.I don't compete though.I am intrested in Strongman.I have done a famers walk with 835 for about 12ft.

I don't really max out on bench much anymore.My deadlifts are strong also.My best dead was 800.I still train deadliftng.

Just did standing alternated dumbbell presses with 130 pounders.Cleaned to shoulders,Started palms facing in,and rotating to full lockout.Did 8 reps each.One day I would like to do a workout with Jedd & Smitty,mabey they can video tape my press on the Deisel crew network.

I will attempt 140's next week!!!

Great job pexter :bow I've been working on the 'double'dumbell clean and press also but quite a few punds below you though.Also I just clean both of them and then push press both of them..... at the same time.

How do you do them alternately?...do you mean?you clean both the 130 lb dumbells and then press one of them,let 'it'down...then press the other?

Also there was some discussion about it being 'impossible'to chest close the WT gripper...i suggested schoonveld as a good possibility...however after hearing about your bench press strength(and obviously you also have a great grip)YOU might be the one to get the WT 'close' to closed.

How about someone sending the WT to PEXTER!

I have often said thought that 500# a side is doable on the farmers walk... a few of us local yokels have discussed this...we are further away from this than you are ;) perhaps YOU are 'the one' :inno

Keep it up.

Correct on the lift Tom,I also start 'em out palm facing toward me,and rotate 'em

on the way up on lockout.I have only been traing this way for the past 3 weeks.So I have alot of progress I could make on this kind of lift.

I have only been training grip for close to a year.I've just recently closed the #3,sometimes I can close it other times I can't.

I might order a WT soon,if there is any left??

500lbs an arm is a good goal,maybe I'll train for it.

Any news on your friend,putting to market his dumbbells?

Correct on the lift Tom,I also start 'em out palm facing toward me,and rotate 'em

on the way up on lockout.I have only been traing this way for the past 3 weeks.So I have alot of progress I could make on this kind of lift.

I have only been training  grip for close to a year.I've just recently closed the #3,sometimes I can close it other times I can't.

I might order a WT soon,if there is any left??

500lbs an arm is a good goal,maybe I'll train for it.

Any news on your friend,putting to market his dumbbells?

WOW!You are doing them the hard way.

I think chest closing the WT is suited for someone with good grip(not just grip),and good overall arm and upper body strength...Just my theory.I've seen guys chest close the 4 and get the WC close and the guys I'm talking about are just strong...not grip training at all...and they do NOT haveyour upper body strength...again just a theory.

Maybe PM that new kid 'SHRUG'...he has one...and i think they are very expensive to buy???

The dumbells and bars?the website and store isn't up and he wants that up first...any day now though...things always take longer than expected...WICKEDLY COOL AND HEAVY DUTY STUFF!I've never seen some of this stuff made so heavy or large before.

Hey What do you think you could flat press with dumbells.Josh has hit some good reps with the 210#s....he doesn't bench press at all...I think You'd be able to do MORE than that???Just a guesstimate would be cool and this IS the workout/ training forum :cool this is THE place to talk about it? ;)

I think the 500 a side farmers will be hit by someone soon...I've read that Odd Haugen has done 465 a side?And of course the event at last years Arnold Classic last year was a 900# apparatus.......that the walked up an incline with :yikes

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

All the gyms I ever worked out at the highest weight for the dumbbells were 150 pounders,and these are childs play to me.That's why your friend's dumbbells intrest me.Can't wait to see the site!! :)

Edited by pexter

I've seen bits and pieces of Jerry's site and the pics.

Other than his version of the INCH replica....his dumbells start at 200 and go up to 300 a piece.Just incredible work.The chains are remarkable,and heavy.The squat bars just awesome.Just wicked stuff.I am lucky to have tested some of it.

I've done high rep shrugs with the 210's and one arm rows(ugly)with the 200's.

One of our favorite tricep exercises is doing a SINGLE dumbell behind the head with BOTH hands.Josh feels this will be(someday)be 'doable' with a 300 pounder!.

he easily does reps with a 210....and with only 15 months(lifetime)of him really lifting weights??I'd have to agree that he is FAR away from his potential.so maybe.....

Josh thinks Flat presses with 250's and possibly 300's in years to come may?be possible?

i saw the owners husband do 20 reps with the 140's once...and he was about 45 years old ....and he doesn't even think he is really very strong.opened my eyes to the possiblities... :erm

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Sounds like some very gifted fellas.Thanks for sharing Bro! :D

Edited by pexter

Sounds like some very gifted fellas.Thanks for sharing Bro! :D

Well some of those numbers i posted were hypothetical,Josh has already done some pretty good lifts and crazy stuff.But we all have a ways to go.I just remembered though...Sean the Cyborg seated shoulder pressed 150's for a few reps also...i thought that was impressive for a guy who trains for bodybuilding and doesn't' think' he is strong either.He does a massive amount of sets and reps and exercises.Amazing work load and still strong.

There will be pics of these guys and their lifts in Jerry's 'gallery' too.

i have a feeling...that you could shoulder and push press the INCH replica now...and you're just saving it for a rainy day.... ;)

Pexter..this is old news and maybe you've seen these pics? but this is Josh Bigger after training for LESS than 3 months.

Nice leverages and wrist rolling huh?

He is MUCH stronger now.

old pics...2 seperate pages.....old pics?but maybe you hadn't seen them

he just had his Gall bladder removed-last week-but at about 5'11"was WEIGHING ABOUT 280- before the surgery.Used to be my training partner.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Tom-

Chest chrushing something has little to do with bench press power. Pat can destroy a red nail, which takes 270k to bend. I doubt he can bench press 270k. Same with the Holles. Jedd and Smitty have been bending some tough stuff lately and I know those 2 hardly bench press at all. Rob Vigeant bent a 4.5 blue and he doesnt bench press. Dave Morton and Tommy do not bench press either and they can chest crush tough nails.

Rick Walker :rock

Okay-but are you repping 400??? No. But you can still chest crush a #4 or better right?

Tom-

Chest chrushing something has little to do with bench press power.  Pat can destroy a red nail, which takes 270k to bend.  I doubt he can bench press 270k.  Same with the Holles.  Jedd and Smitty have been bending some tough stuff lately and I know those 2 hardly bench press at all.  Rob Vigeant bent a 4.5 blue and he doesnt bench press.  Dave Morton and Tommy do not bench press either and they can chest crush tough nails.

i think you are missing the point...no... a big bench presser does not necessarily mean they have a big chest crush >However, a guy that has strong chest,strong shoulders, strong arms,strong wrists and good/great grip (some other gripping attributes) will have an advantage with all that upper body strength.Guys like Pexter or Schoonveld fit this discription.

It will be a matter of 'recruiting'this upper body strength and directing it in the 'crush'...IF they have the wrists,arm and hand strength they should have an advantage.....just like these same guys pick up inches like they are toys and shoulder them and farmers walk two INCHES or toss blobs up first try???I think these type of guys guys would do OK with a heavy chest crush of a WC or a WT...with a little practice of course,....the same sort of overall brute strength that allows people to walk up and close a #3 first try will definitely help with a chest close of a WT.

Would anthony Clark or other such bench pressers have much luck on a chest crush of a gripper???...probably not.But hook up all that upperbody strength(pexter/schoonveld maybe Bigger) to a strong set of arms,mits and wrists???I think you'll see different results.Again,NO its NOT about bench press strength..... and congrats to those that do it without being very strong in the upper body(lifts)...but for the men that have the 'tools'???Lets not be too suprised.

I guess we'll have to see what happens...but a lot of other spectacular...unheard of feats have been done this year.I'm not going to mention names but when I see someone that could care less about grip?and then chest crush a #4 like its made of plastic... and say"so"...I'd have to say the upper body strength doesn't hurt.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Yes, by the same token then would these chest crushers be better with a bigger bench??

I would definitely think so.

Back to the subject of dumbells, the major problem with getting up to 250's and 300's would be the jump between the dumbells. Still, if you had somebody making them for you in graduated steps, that would not be too much of a problem.

I love big dumbells. They are serious chunks of Iron.

Why not just buy some PDA Thumper dumbells? Those things are adjustable to any weight you want. I can't imagine why anyone would want to pay for a pair of 300's (plus shipping) when these things look so badass and are adjustable? If you don't like changing them, just buy a couple pairs and set them at 150 225 275 ect and change them from there. If they're not long enough or somthing just ask john to make them longer (it'd still be cheaper).

I don't know, maybe you guys can tell me...

Why not just buy some PDA Thumper dumbells? Those things are adjustable to any weight you want. I can't imagine why anyone would want to pay for a pair of 300's (plus shipping) when these things look so badass and are adjustable? If you don't like changing them, just buy a couple pairs and set them at 150 225 275 ect and change them from there. If they're not long enough or somthing just ask john to make them longer (it'd still be cheaper).

I don't know, maybe you guys can tell me...

:blushLong story.But Here is what jerry noticed.IF you have the big handles long handles as you described and IF you can load them up?You are still limited by the inaccurate plates you put on the handle.In otherwords the plates(generally)are not accurate.He weighed 10lb plates they weighed as little as 8.75 lbs to a few 'freak plates' :D that weighed nearly 12lbs.So?Say you were loading up a 150 pounder-When the dumbells are loaded up you might -with inaccurate plates-have one side that weighs 70lbs and the other side might weigh 80lbs(this is an exagerated scenario)it is not balanced no matter how good the handle is.You could buy more expensive or accurate plates?but then that gets expensive and you still get a L-o-o-o-o-on-ng dumbell.That isn't held together with welds.

Also the cast iron plates used end up making a longer more awkward dumbell(than a solid steel).In fact one of the pics that I believe he'll have on his site has his 220 pounder next to a conventional 180 pounder??The plate loaded 180 pounder is about 1/4"less in diameter BUT it is actually longer than the 220 pounder.Jerry's 250's are about the length of a plate loaded 200?!

Soooo...you have a perfectly balanced(weight distribution per side)dumbell which is shorter than the conventional plate loaded.It IS easier to handle and by being 'balanced'puts even pressure on the hands and wrists....

Also..gyms or strength porograms probably don't want to have plated loaded (adjustable)dumbells as the gym members may not always put the collar on correctly.i have seen a dumbell come apart during the middle of a heavy dumbell bench press.Not pretty :cry

Other than the gym we work out at...his sales so far have been to individual's who just want the best or the largest.but gyms have expressed interest in them and are also waiting for his site to be up.Pictures are worth a million words?!

I will say josh jumped(flat dumbell presses) from plate loaded 185's to 200's and said although he could 'feel'the extra weight...the 200's were easier to 'handle'.Ditto the even larger steel dumbells.

I think its the other way around, if you load a plate loaded thumper up with 4 25s on each side, you've got about a 220lb dumbell and its about the length of a 110 pound "pro" bell. The 160s at my gym are bolted together and the things are like 2 feet long! I think there was a picture in Planet Muscle of an NFLer using 225s for flat bench. He had 25s on a loadable bar and the weight looked much more stable than an average 150.

As for the weights being off you've got to compare like source to like source. If you've got plates that are fairly inaccurate, why is the weight difference a problem on dumbells but not on squats? The more 10's you've got on the bar, the more likely the positives and negatives cancel each other out.

As for welds, they can break, especially with 300lbs on there but I doubt you'd be able to put a dent in John's dumbells - of course you've got to secure them though ;)

Edited by AP

As for the weights being off you've got to compare like source to like source. If you've got plates that are fairly inaccurate, why is the weight difference a problem on dumbells but not on squats? The more 10's you've got on the bar, the more likely the positives and negatives cancel each other out.

As for welds, they can break, especially with 300lbs on there but I doubt you'd be able to put a dent in John's dumbells - of course you've got to secure them though ;)

I think weights being 'off' -on each side of a dumbell- creating an imbalance -creates a significant difference because- in this case- it is being balanced by- one-relatively small-joint.On the wrist IF one side is off?You'll feel it.

Squats are a multi joint movement.Compound movement.and you'll notice a weight imbalance less. and having said that -even on squats-the weight per side does matter.We have all our 45's(44lbs to 52 lbs) marked with yellow marking paint to tell us what each plate weighs...we try to 'balance'the amount of weight on each side when loading 45's....so even though this is a compound movement we'd still like to get it close in weight per side.

using 25 's for heavy DB presses...no disrespect-it sucks.It shortens the range of motion and does not feel right.That this football player was doing it...was probably because they didn't have heavy enough dumbells.I doubt that it would be his first choice for such a massive dumbell press...

Also...We DO have loadable dumbell handles also-made by jerry and he actually sent these bars off to be hardened.i don't know if PDA does this.His bars are just as strong as anything made.(he does NOT sell these he made them for us) we have access to loadable bars and have used them in the past. When multiple people working out together? they ARE a hassel and they are not as comfortable or easy to handle as the steel ones.

jerry makes high performance gears for off road racing 4 wheeldrives.These vehicles are generating 400 to 800 h.p....despite some of the guys here being pretty strong?Nobody is generationg that kind of power....yet :yikes So his view of steel and strength are different from ours...or perhaps even other manufacturers?

Also on his Solid Steel Dumbells? the handles are inserted 2.5 inches inside of EACh side of the COLD rolled STEEL weight. then TIG welded.It is doubtful that anyone will break the welds.possible but doubtful.we have dropped them.he prefers TIG welding to MIG welding.I'm not sure why.

he prefers TIG welding to MIG welding.I'm not sure why.

TIG welding creates a superior quality weld with precise control of heat

and other variables. Variables such as a wider range of materials, specifiic joints.

The Aerospace and Aviation industries use TIG exclusively

Pexter,

After seeing you manhandle the inch replica at Rick's I'm surprised your not using heavier dumbells :cool

Seriously that's some scary dumbell weight!!

Jon@han