Blob vs Block Pinch for Grippers

AdriaanRobert96

Hello lads and lasses✊🏼

So as the title suggests, will there be any difference between a Blob or a normal block for pinching except the width and price?

I am trying to build up my pinch for overall strength, and while I’d love to buy a full set if atleast 3-5 Blobs .. they’re very expensive here in Sweden.

So I decided to make a pinch block myself with a bit of wood that’s about 6cm thick (I think 3 inches) and inserted something like a ”Ring Eye Screw” in the middle and it works perfectly.

My question I guess is how much will I lose on not having a Blob?

Can I still make great progress with my homemade one?

I am trying to close the CoC #3 on any given day since I already closed it a couple of times.

So pinch will help, I know by experience :)

This is my homemade pinch ”thingy” ..

AAAB006D-1DD7-400E-A838-5DBF0367F516.jpeg

B8FCCD95-E257-4F6E-9B5C-E58FB955A83B.jpeg

• Like 3

Blobs has a curved surface so it's not at all the same as pinching something which is flat. They are much harder because of that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Blobs has a curved surface so it's not at all the same as pinching something which is flat. They are much harder because of that.

This but nothing wrong with what you got... 

Just keep getting stronger and save money for some blob trainer device. World of Grip makes a nice one.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Really appreciate the feedback💪🏽

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

This but nothing wrong with what you got... 

Just keep getting stronger and save money for some blob trainer device. World of Grip makes a nice one.

Will keep that in mind, thanks a lot!

2 minutes ago, Jet Black Heart said:

Nice pinch thingy 👍

Thanks pal😅

• Like 1

What is wrong with that, it looks good and does the job

I always say if you can't buy it, borrow it, or steal it, you must build it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Can’t deny that😅

Thank you!

16 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Hello lads and lasses✊🏼

So as the title suggests, will there be any difference between a Blob or a normal block for pinching except the width and price?

I am trying to build up my pinch for overall strength, and while I’d love to buy a full set if atleast 3-5 Blobs .. they’re very expensive here in Sweden.

So I decided to make a pinch block myself with a bit of wood that’s about 6cm thick (I think 3 inches) and inserted something like a ”Ring Eye Screw” in the middle and it works perfectly.

I am trying to close the CoC #3 on any given day since I already closed it a couple of times.

I’ve had a few of those homemade blocks. If you screwed 1 or 2 more boards to it, it would be similar to the wide pinch you would get with block weights. It’s still flat on the sides,  which the blocks are tapered.  just hits the extensor muscles and wrist harder so weight has to be adjusted lower to not Jack up the back of the wrist. Rounding the edges of the boards helps too.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, slazbob said:

I’ve had a few of those homemade blocks. If you screwed 1 or 2 more boards to it, it would be similar to the wide pinch you would get with block weights. It’s still flat on the sides,  which the blocks are tapered.  just hits the extensor muscles and wrist harder so weight has to be adjusted lower to not Jack up the back of the wrist. Rounding the edges of the boards helps too.

Maybe I’ll add another board and just round the taper the edges, that’s a great idea actually😎Thank a lot pal, didn’t really think about that.

Altho, how thick are the block weights usually?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Maybe I’ll add another board and just round the taper the edges, that’s a great idea actually😎Thank a lot pal, didn’t really think about that.

Altho, how thick are the block weights usually?

They can be any weight but "The Blob" is one side of a 100 lb York dumbbell so it's aproximately 50 lbs. 

All this affects the size of the block. Some measurments from York "blobs"

30 lb. blob
3-1/4" at top sloping out to 4-3/8" Height 6-3/8"

35 lb. blob
3-9/16" at top sloping out to 5" Height 6-1/2"

40 lb. blob
3-3/4" at top sloping out to 5-1/4" Height 6-13/16"

45 lb. blob
3-13/16" at top sloping out to 5-1/2" Height 6-15/16"

50 lb. blob
3-7/8" at top sloping out to 5-1/2" Height 7-7/16"

I kg och millimeter

13.6 kg blob
82.6 mm at top sloping out to 111.1 mm Height 161.9 mm

15.9 kg blob
90.5 mm at top sloping out to 127 mm Height 165.1 mm

18.1 kg blob
96.8 mm at top sloping out to 133.4 mm Height 173 mm 

20.4 kg blob
96.8 mm at top sloping out to 139.7 mm Height 176.2 mm

22.7 kg blob
98.4 mm at top sloping out to 139.7 mm Height 189 mm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

And you can always buy or steal someones design when building something, but you can't borrow it :D 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

They can be any weight but "The Blob" is one side of a 100 lb York dumbbell so it's aproximately 50 lbs. 

All this affects the size of the block. Some measurments from York "blobs"

30 lb. blob
3-1/4" at top sloping out to 4-3/8" Height 6-3/8"

35 lb. blob
3-9/16" at top sloping out to 5" Height 6-1/2"

40 lb. blob
3-3/4" at top sloping out to 5-1/4" Height 6-13/16"

45 lb. blob
3-13/16" at top sloping out to 5-1/2" Height 6-15/16"

50 lb. blob
3-7/8" at top sloping out to 5-1/2" Height 7-7/16"

I kg och millimeter

13.6 kg blob
82.6 mm at top sloping out to 111.1 mm Height 161.9 mm

15.9 kg blob
90.5 mm at top sloping out to 127 mm Height 165.1 mm

18.1 kg blob
96.8 mm at top sloping out to 133.4 mm Height 173 mm 

20.4 kg blob
96.8 mm at top sloping out to 139.7 mm Height 176.2 mm

22.7 kg blob
98.4 mm at top sloping out to 139.7 mm Height 189 mm

Oh man, thank you so very much for taking the time to go in depth on this😊 I appreciate it greatly!

We’ll the width seems just fine for me, got large hands so that’s great✊🏼

Altho it’s so hard to find in Sweden, maybe i’ll check on Ebay😂

1 hour ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Oh man, thank you so very much for taking the time to go in depth on this😊 I appreciate it greatly!

We’ll the width seems just fine for me, got large hands so that’s great✊🏼

Altho it’s so hard to find in Sweden, maybe i’ll check on Ebay😂

There are some different versions of York old school dumbbells which the "blobs" are made out of, from different generations. Unfortunately York stopped production of the old school raw iron db's a few years ago. Which was a shame, because up until then you could buy the series of db's which was called "Legacy" and you could just cut the handle off and you had two blobs, "Legacy blobs" as they are called in that case.

You can also make block weights out of hex db's. However they are not available in Sweden, I know that for sure. I don't even know if you can get them in EU? They are available in the US, that's the only place I've seen them coming from and maybe UK?. All hex db's here in Sweden has rubber on them. Unfortunately it's no idea removing the rubber either since they are apparently not shaped nicely underneath.

You can go out in nature and look for stones. I've done that and I've found som fun stones to train with.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

There are some different versions of York old school dumbbells which the "blobs" are made out of, from different generations. Unfortunately York stopped production of the old school raw iron db's a few years ago. Which was a shame, because up until then you could buy the series of db's which was called "Legacy" and you could just cut the handle off and you had two blobs, "Legacy blobs" as they are called in that case.

You can also make block weights out of hex db's. However they are not available in Sweden, I know that for sure. I don't even know if you can get them in EU? They are available in the US, that's the only place I've seen them coming from and maybe UK?. All hex db's here in Sweden has rubber on them. Unfortunately it's no idea removing the rubber either since they are apparently not shaped nicely underneath.

You can go out in nature and look for stones. I've done that and I've found som fun stones to train with.

I think I should’ve been born earlier then😂

Jokes aside, I’ll look for some damn stones or maybe just cut some HEX DB’s but that aswell is pretty expensive..

I’ll probably look for some “second hand” hex dbs.

Thank you so much for the feedback lad😎

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 12:34 PM, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Hello lads and lasses✊🏼

That actually looks nice, I love pinch blocks. Own a few.. 

• Thanks 1