Rite of Passage

Jet Black Heart

Hello everyone. 

I’ve recently set up my own home gym and im planning on getting back into strength training after a long lay off. 

A month or so ago I deadlifted for the first time in a very long time (talking years) and my grip failed pulling 170kg. I also  struggled to close a COC #1. 

I was mortified with myself as pre COVID I have been able to deadlift 250kg without straps/ wrist wraps and I was repping the COC #2. 

I’m not a diva but I can say that I’m over it now and I’ve decided to tackle the problem head on by implementing direct grip work and adjusting my training  

Within a year or so I would like to beat all previous PRs on the 4 big lifts and close a COC #2 again. But, ultimately the goal is to one day pull a 300kg deadlift, and this is a log to track that goal. 

I’ve been an avid reader of the forum as a guest for a few months now and I have learnt quite a lot from reading posts and logs, so thank you all.

I have recently bought a 64mm Rolling Handle and a 60mm Pinch Block. 

At the moment I’m training a standard upper lower 4 day split with 1 of the 4 big lifts each session and two or three assistance exercises specific to that lift - works well for me.

Not entirely sure what my new deadlift focused training split will be yet. But what I can say is my time is limited due to becoming a first time dad. 

The new split is likely to look like the below but have the same theory as above. 

Mon - Press focus / upper. 

Wed - Deadlift (heavy) focus/ lower. 

Fri - Bench focus/ upper. 

Sat - Deadlift (light) focus/ lower. 

Until time is on my side I’m thinking of implementing direct pinch grip work on Mondays (after heavy deadlifts) and direct open crush grip on Saturdays (after light/ speed deadlifts). But I’ll work extensor work on both days as I’ve read this is the most neglected aspect of grip. 

In time I will be able to move the grip training to two evening sessions, once the baby is asleep and in a routine. 

• Like 6

Today I found out my estimated 1rms….

47kg for the Rolling Handle.
28kg for the Pinch Block.

Granted it may have not been optimal to figure out my 1rm for two lifts one after the other but I had a lot of fun doing so.

I’ve no idea where these numbers are relative to grip strength standards though?!

• Like 2

NICE 

post pictures of your gym

• Like 1

that's a nice set up

• Like 2

good picture of louie simmons 

• Thanks 1

After testing my 1rm’s on Thursday I done some bicep work after. And I’ve been thinking that it surely can’t be a coincidence that I felt the bicep durning those bicep exercises more than usual. 

Perhaps as the forearm muscles were fatigued the bicep muscles were having to work even harder than ever meaning a better contraction and/ or mind muscle connection. 

I’ve always struggled with tanning biceps and the mind muscle connection. I’ve tried to train them in many different ways with lots of different exercises - my mates used to call me the T-Rex. 

Anyway, I’ve just done something that is perhaps a little bit weird lol. I’ve measured the biceps and forearms, I’ll measure again in a few months…..

Left forearm - 11.8 inches

Left Bicep - 15.1 inches

Right forearm - 12 inches

Right bicep - 15.3

• Like 3

Was supposed to go on a bike ride this afternoon but the weather had other ideas. So I had an impromptu session where I was gonna reevaluate my Pinch Block 1rm. Looks like I got it first time around. 

CoC Gripper W/Up.
S = 3x15/15  

60mm GOG Pinch block.
13kg = 5/5 
18kg = 3/3 
23kg = 1/1 
28kg = 1/1

64mm GOG Rolling Handle 3x5.
40kg =  5/5, 5/5, 5/5

Strict DB Curl 3x15.
10kg = 13, 13, 13 

KB Towel Curl 3x15.
24kg = 15, 15, 14 

Finished off with ten sets of six KB Snatch EMOM with 20kg. 

Then I worked up to six sets of two with 28kg. Form really started to break down after the first set lol so called it a day there. 

• Like 5

“I have forearm DOMS” isn’t something I think I’d ever hear myself say lol. Although I’m not surprised I have it. Plus, it’s a good sign!! 

I ran the massage gun over my forearms earlier on a low setting (two minutes per forearm) and already they feel a million times better - I’ll do it again later. 

Recovery has never really been an issue for me as I have a desk job. Sleep has always been very good (until the baby was born). Even now it’s still fairly decent.

Apart from chin ups in tomorrows session no grip is needed now until deadlifts on Wednesday. I’ll see how my forearms feel tomorrow and take it from there. 

Edited by Jet Black Heart
Added “I think”
  • Like 2

On 6/25/2022 at 7:37 AM, Jet Black Heart said:

Was supposed to go on a bike ride this afternoon but the weather had other ideas. So I had an impromptu session where I was gonna reevaluate my Pinch Block 1rm. Looks like I got it first time around. 

CoC Gripper W/Up.
S = 3x15/15  

60mm GOG Pinch block.
13kg = 5/5 
18kg = 3/3 
23kg = 1/1 
28kg = 1/1

40kg =  5/5, 5/5, 5/5

Strict DB Curl 3x15.
10kg = 13, 13, 13 

KB Towel Curl 3x15.
24kg = 15, 15, 14 

Finished off with ten sets of six KB Snatch EMOM with 20kg. 

Then I worked up to six sets of two with 28kg. Form really started to break down after the first set lol so called it a day there. 

Impressive lifting 💪 and welcome to the board. Almost 30 kilos is a great lift on the block. I have the same pinch block and I think it's my fav out of all of them 😁

Do you like the 64mm rolling handle? Size wise it looks like a challenging implement but not as brutal as the 76mm rolling handles lol. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Impressive lifting 💪 and welcome to the board. Almost 30 kilos is a great lift on the block. I have the same pinch block and I think it's my fav out of all of them 😁

Do you like the 64mm rolling handle? Size wise it looks like a challenging implement but not as brutal as the 76mm rolling handles lol. 

Thanks man ☺️. I love the handle, 64mm is just right at the mo. I messaged Gods Of Grip before buying and they were very helpful with their advice etc. I did look at the 76mm but that would have been way too big! Lol.

I’m not sure which lift is my favourite lift outta the two as I’ve only tested my 1rm on the pinch. I’ll do pinch grip for reps on Wednesday. 

• Like 1

Back on the diet today. Going to Benidorm with the lads at the end of July. The goal was to be 90kg by then, but that’s not gonna happen - too many ‘snaccidents’ lol. I’m fully accountable though. 

I was 106kg at the start of the year. Im around 94kg - 95kg at the moment. I haven’t weighed myself over the last week or so as I didn’t track last week as I had a week off work/ holiday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I went to a wedding yesterday, proper rough today. Hungover to the point that I only realised I still had my slippers on after I finished benching!! 

Instead of 3x5 at 88kg on bench I done 10x10 with 60kg (approx 50% of my current 1rm) with 90 seconds of rest (German Volume Training). Last set moved like the first, pretty happy with that!! 

BB Bench Press 10x10.
60kg

BW Chins 3x6 *28. 
2 Black Bands = 6, 5, 5
The 2 black bands are set up across pins numbered 28 (*28) on my rack, to help get me out of the hole. When I get to three sets of six I’ll drop the bands to pins numbered 26 (2cm) and so on until I’m unassisted. 

Dips 3xAMRAP.
BW = 8, 7, 5
When I get to 3x10 with bodyweight I’ll start adding weight with a dip belt. 

Five rounds of weighted jump rope to finish, 40 seconds on (approx 100 skips) 20 off. 

I won’t go into as much detail on later posts. Just want to explain my progressions etc.

Overall more more weight was moved than last Monday, happy days.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jet Black Heart said:

Back on the diet today. Going to Benidorm with the lads at the end of July. The goal was to be 90kg by then, but that’s not gonna happen - too many ‘snaccidents’ lol. I’m fully accountable though. 

I was 106kg at the start of the year. Im around 94kg - 95kg at the moment. I haven’t weighed myself over the last week or so as I didn’t track last week as I had a week off work/ holiday.

"snaccident", thats a good one.  

• Haha 1

Deadlift 3x5.
140kg = 5, 5, 5
These felt great so will up 5kg next Wednesday.

BB Good Mornings 3x12.
65kg = 8, 8, 8.
Light but really good form, sets of 9 next week and so on until I get to 3x12. Then I’ll add 10kg or so. Kind of like step loading, but over a long period/ block. 

60mm Pinch block 6x5.
20kg = 5/5, 5/5, 5/5.
Really enjoyed these. I did do an unlogged set, which was the first set  I only got three reps on my left as I didn’t chalk my thumbs/ hands well at all - noted. 

KB Split Squat 6x12 EMOM.
28kg = 6/6, 6/6, 6/6. 
Sets of seven next week. Working like this to a timer also gradually increases my GPP.

KB Towel Curl 3x15.
24kg = 12, 12, 10

• Like 6

Lunch! Homemade Cheeseburger with Crispy Onions and a drizzle of Ketchup and Mustard. It was so nice I’ll have the same tomorrow 😋 

287C5746-758F-4E88-83D3-7E5632A74D29.jpeg

• Like 5

Seated Shoulder Press 3x5.
67kg = 4, 3, 3. 
Felt heavy today. Hopefully straight sets of 4 next week, minimum, fingers crossed.

Swiss Bar Inverted Row 3xAMRAP. 
BW = 8, 8, 8. 
I do these with a neutral/ hammer grip.

Swiss Bar 45° Inc Press 3x8.
60kg = 8, 8, 8. 
Again, I do these with a neutral/ hammer grip.

Finished off with some Strength Aerobics for a change. 

A Clean, Press, Snatch complex every 30 secs for 10 minutes/ 20 sets. I started off with a 24kg KB but swiftly changed to the 20kg KB. I forgot how taxing it is, it’s been a while. My clean was terrible 🤪

• Like 6

Speed Deadlift 8x3 EMOM.
83kg. 
Felt good, first set was like the last. Will keep this weight until my heavy deads move up.

RDL 3x6.
110kg = 6, 3/2, 4.
Far too heavy, admin error lol. Weight should have been 100kg. Will drop to 100kg and shoot for three sets of six next week.

SS Box Squat 3x5.
100kg = 3, 3, 3. 
Seen stars on the first set, weird. Three sets of four next week though.

41kg = 5/5, 5/5, 5/5. 
I like this lift a lot, nice way to wind down a session also. 42kg next week!!

• Like 4

Killer workouts 

good looking lunch too 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Killer workouts 

good looking lunch too 

Thanks John.

I’m still trying a few things and moving exercises around. Having to keep workouts as short as possible and having limited equipment means I’m having to be clever about my programming to get the most bang for my buck. 

Im used to training in large gyms with plenty of equipment….. and time.

I think I’m nearly there, couple more tweaks and I’m golden!! 

BB Bench Press 3x5.
90kg = 4, 4, 4. 

Assisted BW Chins 3x6.
2 Black Bands = 6, 6, 6.
Three sets of six done on pin holes numbered 28. I’ll drop the hooks down to holes numbered #26 (see photos below) next week. Rinse and repeat until I get to three sets of six again…. And so on. 

BW Dips 3x10.
BW = 7, 7, 7. 
8, 7, 5 last week. It was for the first time doing dips unassisted (with bands). Last week was a total of 20 reps averaging 6.6 reps per set. Evened it up this week with three sets of seven. Still, that’s one more rep than last week - happy days!

Tabata.
LH Clean 16kg 
RH Clean 16kg
Jump Rope (high knees) 
LH Press 16kg 
RH Press 16kg
Jump Rope (high knees) 
LH Snatch 16kg 
RH Snatch 16kg
Two rounds with 120 secs rest between rounds.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 10:15 AM, Jet Black Heart said:

Lunch! Homemade Cheeseburger with Crispy Onions and a drizzle of Ketchup and Mustard. It was so nice I’ll have the same tomorrow 😋 

287C5746-758F-4E88-83D3-7E5632A74D29.jpeg

Thats the reason right there i'll never have a 6 pack and i'm ok with that. I'd rather have a 6 pack of beer and 3 cheeseburgers...

Last week alone i had 10 cheeseburgers... 

• Haha 1