Dumbbell options

Busa

Hi all after a bit of advice / options on the best type of dumbbells to purchase.

I don't have a massive area to store them so not looking at the fixed type.

Not a big fan of the "selectorised" type they just look odd and awkward to use.

So that leaves me with adjustable dumbbells. I live in the UK and it does look a bit limited compared to some countries on options.

I was thinking either cast iron pro style or the Olympic thinner steel plate type with handles.

I just don't know which is a better option. Unsure how well each type would stand the test of time. I want to use them for general fitness and also to get me to a level to lift an inch dumbbell.

Would love to hear some thoughts on this. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Busa said:

Hi all after a bit of advice / options on the best type of dumbbells to purchase.

I don't have a massive area to store them so not looking at the fixed type.

Not a big fan of the "selectorised" type they just look odd and awkward to use.

So that leaves me with adjustable dumbbells. I live in the UK and it does look a bit limited compared to some countries on options.

I was thinking either cast iron pro style or the Olympic thinner steel plate type with handles.

I just don't know which is a better option. Unsure how well each type would stand the test of time. I want to use them for general fitness and also to get me to a level to lift an inch dumbbell.

Would love to hear some thoughts on this. Thanks.

How heavy do you need them to go cause that makes a difference since certain brands top on the low side 

Thanks for the reply.

The brands I was looking at for steel weights are Watson gym https://watsongym.co.uk/product/eco-dumbbell-plates/ and Rebel strength https://www.rebelstrength.co.uk/product-page/adjustable-weight-dumbbells-pair-2-plates

The cast iron I was looking at Body Power : https://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/body-power-pro-style-dumbbells-80kg-x2.html again go high enough various shorter handles and weights can be purchased first to build up over time when needed.

They all go up more than heavy enough both short and long term. 53 now and need to do more than just grip stuff to see gains yet struggle with getting gym time now.

Both types I have seen on ebay going for a lot less now gyms are open so many off loading equipment bargains or at least cheaper items are around.

I was thinking of the steel plates as less bulk just wondered if there are any draw backs to using one type from anyone's personal experience.

The things that came to mind for me are all my loading pins grip stuff are 2"  Getting 1" plates for the pro style is it a good option / needed?

For the steel plates they stick out further than the bar is that a noticeable problem with a dumbbell workout?  I could I guess get inserts made and use them like the pro style with that type of handle.

13 hours ago, slazbob said:

Garage Gym Reviews on YouTube did a review of basically all the adjustable dumbbells out there. 

"selectorised" type don't really like them much to be honest I did think of maybe the HAVAK TRIAD but  do have limitations with some exercises plus I think customs would kill me with charges to ship to the UK.

5 hours ago, Busa said:

"selectorised" type don't really like them much to be honest I did think of maybe the HAVAK TRIAD but  do have limitations with some exercises plus I think customs would kill me with charges to ship to the UK.

Yeah, it was late that night and I didn’t fully understand you weren’t looking for the adjustable type. You just want dumbbells you could put plates on.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought cheap cast iron ones from Argos, 10kg each or you can load one to a max of probably 14kg ish. 

But I also bought some 10kg and 5kg plates to go with them. 

With 4x 10kg plates per dumbbell you are looking at 41-42kg per hand including the bar and collars. I think there's room for a little more at say 44kg per hand. 

That's nearly 200lbs together (88kg) so you have something to work with if you like RDLs, rows, farmer carries etc.

In the name of grip, if you add a set of thick grips this weight will be plenty for those needs.

With lower weights I like to do wrist curls, reverse wrist curls, plate carries with 2x 10kg per hand, and load a dumbbell one-sided for wrist levering. 

It works. For lifting an inch you'd of course want something heavier, but it won't hurt to stick an oversized thick grip on a 44kg dumbbell and hold for time. You could even think about adding chains...

Edited by Gripperer
  • Like 1