Because I said I would. 406.5lb bench press.

Tommy J.

I’d love to sit here and take a big steamy pile of s%*+ all over a couple members here and rub this lift in their face. But I’m trying to turn a new leaf.

just like I promised I would, here is the 400lb+ bench I said I would do. Complete with uncut and unedited footage of the lift and weight measurement on a legit postal scale.

Only took me about 3-1/2 years from the time I first said I wanted to bench 400 outloud. But I put my money where my mouth is. Didn’t I?

• Like 16

Thanks dude!

so I’ll give a little back story to address my salty post.

about 3-1/2 years ago I said on this board that I aimed to bench 400lbs. At the time, I was barely benching 300 for a decent T&G single. Was that (taking aim at 400) a hefty goal? Of course it was. I wasn’t interested in aiming at a 5 or 10lb PR that might only keep me in pursuit for a few months. I aimed big. And I was met with heavy pessimism. from a handful of guys that believed only “super humans“ possess the ability or genetics, etc. to bench 400+. As was evident in their tone. Lol. Basically, most of them were guys well past their prime years that had never got anywhere close to a 400+ press. So in their eyes, I couldn’t because they couldn’t. No need for any names. But I remembered them. I thought about them every time I attempted 4 plates. Which was a dozen or so times before today. And their words did not persuade me to change my mind. No matter how many times over these last 3-1/2 years I got sick, or tweaked something, had a bad workout, or just flat out couldn’t squeeze in time to lift, I kept at it.

400 was a lifetime goal for me since I was a teenager. I just never said it out loud until 3-1/2 years or so ago.

Spite wasn’t the reason I kept at it tho. Although some degree of spite is present now, principal is what kept me going. I said I was gonna do it. So I had to do it. It’s just that simple. Most mf’ers don’t operate that way. But I do.

also, while I’ve always believed a 400lb bench isn’t some incredible bench press, it does still mark my biggest strength achievement to date. Even over all the grip stuff and bending I did. The amount of time and effort it took to accomplish this bench press is my gauge for determining that. It took me less than a year to lift the inch. Less than a year to cert the #3. Less than a year of consistent bending before I took down my best bends.….this bench took about 3-1/2 years of focus, and dedication. Which makes it my proudest and most fought for strength achievement to date.

obviously I’m not done. I did say I was gonna do it raw. And the above press is not 100% raw due to the elbow sleeves. ….but only a fool would think that after adding over 100lbs on my press that I will all of a sudden just quit and not do it 100% raw also. So it (doing in raw) is coming.

without rambling much more, I will drop some names of some people that are members here that were super motivating and encouraging throughout my pursuit. Obviously there are also a few non members that were encouraging as well. But I’ll just mention names of folks that are members here.

special thanks to all these guys. Every single one of them pushed me at least a handful of times in the direction I needed to be.

Eric Milfeld, Adam Glass, Tanner Merkle, Jedd Johnson, Stephen Anderson, Isaac Newton, Mike Rinderle, David Wigren, Chris Rice, Jason Steeves, and 2-3 others that I can’t remember their names right now.

saltiness aside, that was one sloppy press. between my butt trying to come off the bench and the weight falling off the hook. But I’m proud, none the less!

• Like 7

Staying determined and never giving up always pays off..... I can't wait for the next video!

• Thanks 1

Congratulations on successfully achieving a long term goal. It’s gotta be a great feeling, and a PR like that IS worth bragging about. If you can’t do it here where the F can you?

• Thanks 1

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!  As much for being able to stay focused on a single goal for 3 1/2 years as getting so much stronger.  Some very serious determination!  So what's next?  I know you want to clean this one up and do it Raw but I have to think there's another seemingly impossible goal you have kinda sorta thought about for the future? 

Edited by climber511
  • Thanks 1

Congrats on big achievement. When you were at 300 LB max 3 years ago you said 405 LB was not that big of a deal and you would get there in a year. I said that would be impossible - especially drug free. You got to the milestone in 3 years since and drug free so big congrats. Tommy, Iam not even close to being a hater of anyone.

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!  As much for being able to stay focused on a single goal for 3 1/2 years as getting so much stronger.  Some very serious determination!  So what's next?  I know you want to clean this one up and do it Raw but I have to think there's another seemingly impossible goal you have kinda sorta thought about for the future? 

Thank you, sir!

next on the list is raw, then a raw paused rep.

and yes, I’m already thinking about 440 (an even 200k) 

..that way when I’m asked how much I bench, I can just sort of act bashful and say “200……..KILOS!” 😜

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Congrats on big achievement. When you were at 300 LB max 3 years ago you said 405 LB was not that big of a deal and you would get there in a year. I said that would be impossible - especially drug free. You got to the milestone in 3 years since and drug free so big congrats. Tommy, Iam not even close to being a hater of anyone.

Wrong. I specifically said I was gonna do it no matter how long it took. Never was I delusional about thinking it could be done in a year. I literally NEVER said that. You just literally made that crap up.

wrong again on the drug free. I specifically said I was gonna do whatever I had to do to get it done. Everyone who’s followed any of my bench posts knows damn well I ain’t natty. I’ve been shamelessly open about it. Many times. Right here on the GB all over public posts. And the fact that you’re in here saying I did it natty, after literally running your head in the bench race thread, directly in response to a post I made about NOT being natty, is all the proof anyone here needs to know that you either flat out make up crap that ain’t true (aka a liar), or you have some form of mental problem that inhibits coherent communication, or you just like to intentionally create unnecessary drama. And any one of those 3 possibilities should be immediate grounds for you no longer being a member here. Because any of those 3 issues is going to 100% only cause drama.

I did say a 400 bench isn’t a big deal. And I still feel that way. It doesn’t take anyone special to bench 400. …unless you’re suggesting that it does take someone special, and I possess superior genetics, since I did it? That’s gonna be about the only competent way to disagree with my sentiments about a 400lb bench not being a big deal.

and yes Mike, you ARE a hater. At times a passive aggressive one, and at other times a temper tantrum throwing hater.

nice try at lying in an attempt to throw shade tho.

pay attention. here’s how you throw shade on a guys bench, proper- Mike.. my bench just made Varsity team. And yours rides the bench 3rd string for JV.

Congrats man. Super impressive. I am at a 295 bench and this was super motivating for me to try and push that up to 315 and more eventually.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Congrats man. Super impressive. I am at a 295 bench and this was super motivating for me to try and push that up to 315 and more eventually.

It will happen. Stay hungry for it, but don’t over do it.

random pointer for you. My bench started moving when I began doing 2 pulling exercises for every press exercise. And then it moved yet again when I started overhead pressing. Obviously your pressing and pulling days should be different days.

remember this also, a strong back=a strong press off the chest. And strong triceps=strong lockout.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

It will happen. Stay hungry for it, but don’t over do it.

random pointer for you. My bench started moving when I began doing 2 pulling exercises for every press exercise. And then it moved yet again when I started overhead pressing. Obviously your pressing and pulling days should be different days.

remember this also, a strong back=a strong press off the chest. And strong triceps=strong lockout.

Thanks man. Good info. On your opinion what are some of the best back movements to go with a strong bench? 

2 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Thanks man. Good info. On your opinion what are some of the best back movements to go with a strong bench? 

Rows rows and more rows. On pull days I keep it interesting and mix it up. I might do heavy seal rows, heavy barbell bent rows, and one of my favorites is one I sort of made up. It’s like an ugly half upright half bent row with a lot of body English. I go from mid thigh to lower chest with the barbell.

I pretty much go as heavy as I can with barbell rows. No more than 10 reps or it’s too light. Then I move to dbs for lighter weight and higher volume right after.

example on pull day.

I start with 3 AMRAP pull up sets. 6-8 minutes between sets.

then move to my modified ugly form barbell rows with like 270lbs (at this time) for 3 sets of 10. I bump that weight up 5lbs every workout.

then move on to db rows. Heaviest db I own is a 90lb. I’ll do 15-20 reps each arm for 3 sets with the 90. I full rom these, from floor to as far back as I can pull it each rep.

then move on to finishing off my biceps with curls of all variations.

and that will conclude my entire pull day.

one more note is don’t go into bench day with a sore or tight back. I do my pull days the very next day after my bench days. Never vice versa

• Like 1

Tommy, honest mistake on my behalf saying you did it drug-free. Obviously, I knew you had mentioned that couple years ago. I wasn't trying for some Putinesque comment. As far as my bench strength- Iam fortunate to still lift and keep in somewhat decent shape.

30 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Rows rows and more rows. On pull days I keep it interesting and mix it up. I might do heavy seal rows, heavy barbell bent rows, and one of my favorites is one I sort of made up. It’s like an ugly half upright half bent row with a lot of body English. I go from mid thigh to lower chest with the barbell.

I pretty much go as heavy as I can with barbell rows. No more than 10 reps or it’s too light. Then I move to dbs for lighter weight and higher volume right after.

example on pull day.

I start with 3 AMRAP pull up sets. 6-8 minutes between sets.

then move to my modified ugly form barbell rows with like 270lbs (at this time) for 3 sets of 10. I bump that weight up 5lbs every workout.

then move on to db rows. Heaviest db I own is a 90lb. I’ll do 15-20 reps each arm for 3 sets with the 90. I full rom these, from floor to as far back as I can pull it each rep.

then move on to finishing off my biceps with curls of all variations.

and that will conclude my entire pull day.

one more note is don’t go into bench day with a sore or tight back. I do my pull days the very next day after my bench days. Never vice versa

Sorry for all the questions but what kind of bench or push frequency have you been doing? How many days a week are you doing bench or chest or push or whatever days?

6 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Sorry for all the questions but what kind of bench or push frequency have you been doing? How many days a week are you doing bench or chest or push or whatever days?

No problem at all. You’re asking relevant questions that are definitely going to serve you well. In fact, I wished I had asked them 3-1/2 years ago vs wasting time debating with people who had no intent to share anything useful to my goal.

my bench schedule goes like this

bench every 5th day so I’m fresh.

I base my percentages off whatever my projected 1rm is based off reps from my previous workout.

One workout I warm up to a single AMRAP top set at 70-80%. Usually falls somewhere in the 8-10 rep range. Then I’m done with bench that day.

my next bench day (5 days later) will be warm up to a heavy AMRAP set at 90-95%. This set will be in the 1-3 rep range. But if I can only get 1 rep on this day, I’ll do 3-5 singles with big breaks in between. If I get 3 reps on this day, I’ll then move the weight down to 50-55% and hit an AMRAP set with that. Usually somewhere around the 20+ rep range if I wasn’t too gassed from my heavy set. Then that’s it on the “heavy” day.

wash, rinse, repeat both workouts every 5th day.

just note that you should expect to be stronger each week. So you’re projected 1rm will change almost weekly. Which means whatever weight was 75-80% last week won’t be the same weight this week.

I have no idea why I do it like this. But it seems relatively safe, and produces gains. I NEVER was coerced into benching more frequently than that.

im not saying more frequency won’t work. But one question I always had for anyone suggesting I switch it up was- “why change what I’m doing if it’s working?” And “why would you even suggest I switch it up without even asking if I was seeing progress doing it my way?”

that logic always seemed comparable to a dr randomly prescribing meds to a perfectly healthy person.

• Like 2

Tommy-

any shoulder issues? I never had issues back when I was younger, but I benched Saturday with a light weight and for upto 10 reps and did dips…carful to not go too low. But I did them weighted …and today woke up with shoulder pain. I still worked back today without much pain but I must have bad technique or something. I use a slight arch and keep my shoulders down so not sure if it’s bar descent or just a bum shoulder from sleeping on the couch.

1 hour ago, slazbob said:

Tommy-

any shoulder issues? I never had issues back when I was younger, but I benched Saturday with a light weight and for upto 10 reps and did dips…carful to not go too low. But I did them weighted …and today woke up with shoulder pain. I still worked back today without much pain but I must have bad technique or something. I use a slight arch and keep my shoulders down so not sure if it’s bar descent or just a bum shoulder from sleeping on the couch.

Yes I had a shoulder issue back in 2019 that shut me down for over 10 months. I did zero benching during that time because it hurt so bad. What it ended up being was bicep tendinitis in one of the upper tendons.… and it was brutal man!

so much so that I feel that the name “tendinitis” isn’t even a remotely ominous enough sounding name for it, given how much pain it causes. Lol

i basically just had to let it heal before I could continue.

one pointer I learned to help protect the shoulders and pecs is don’t bench on a narrow bench. Unsupported shoulders are the #1 reason for pec tears and shoulder injuries on bench press, according to Donnie Thompson. I do what I can to avoid shoulder issues by benching only on my fatpad, and keeping the elbows tucked as much as I can remember to.

• Thanks 1

Bicep tendonitis in the upper shoulder is what screws with my bench, Ironically i get it from setting heavy grippers

Also heavily agree with the narrow bench tip, I'm a super wide guy so narrow benches are a no go, not only does it compromise your pec tendon stability, It can also affect your ability to maintain tightness throughout your traps and scaps

• Like 1

I've never thought much about bench "width" I guess.  When you say wide - what exactly do you mean?  I assume this would vary somewhat with the individual?

7 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Yes I had a shoulder issue back in 2019 that shut me down for over 10 months. I did zero benching during that time because it hurt so bad. What it ended up being was bicep tendinitis in one of the upper tendons.… and it was brutal man!

so much so that I feel that the name “tendinitis” isn’t even a remotely ominous enough sounding name for it, given how much pain it causes. Lol

i basically just had to let it heal before I could continue.

one pointer I learned to help protect the shoulders and pecs is don’t bench on a narrow bench. Unsupported shoulders are the #1 reason for pec tears and shoulder injuries on bench press, according to Donnie Thompson. I do what I can to avoid shoulder issues by benching only on my fatpad, and keeping the elbows tucked as much as I can remember to.

Thanks….I use a Rogue flat bench which is a good width, in a power rack. The front shoulder pain is bicep tendinitis- its definitely there, I’m trying to work around  it. Could be the issue, my shoulder hurts more towards the middle and backend from benching tho. Could all be related but the shoulder pain hung around when I started shoulder press and bench press probably last fall. The front pain is relatively new.

3 minutes ago, climber511 said:

I've never thought much about bench "width" I guess.  When you say wide - what exactly do you mean?  I assume this would vary somewhat with the individual?

Wide enough to fully support/contact the scapulas. I suppose I could get technical and cite a measurement or two.. but I’ll keep it simple. I have never met or heard of a man too wide for a Thompson fatpad to give full support. Fatpad is the way to go. They are sort of pricy, but worth every penny imo. I bought my pad and then just built a frame for it. I posted it in the equipment section.

and Donnie Thompson actually has a video out there showing people how to simulate a fatpad. Which is a super honest move on his part, considering that putting that info out there will only hurt his fatpad sales.

On 6/20/2022 at 6:34 AM, slazbob said:

Thanks….I use a Rogue flat bench which is a good width, in a power rack. The front shoulder pain is bicep tendinitis- its definitely there, I’m trying to work around  it. Could be the issue, my shoulder hurts more towards the middle and backend from benching tho. Could all be related but the shoulder pain hung around when I started shoulder press and bench press probably last fall. The front pain is relatively new.

I’m not sure what to recommend rehab wise other than getting decent blood flow in the area until it stops hurting eventually.

when mine acted up I literally quit lifting for a long time and just did arm circles and whatnot. A PT could definitely recommend some excellent rehab and mobility exercises for it.

but “baby it” is my main recommendation. The shoulder is the most complex/mobile joint in the body with a lot of stuff that can go wrong. But it is also one of the most resilient joints in the body in that it can adapt to some pretty insane workload at multiple different angles.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 1