Plate Curls

lane

I think that the formula for the torque of a plate curl would be T = R*M  (radius * mass).  If someone else more physics / math inclined than I has a better formula please let me know.  I am assuming that the plate is parallel or we would need to add the sin function to the formula as well.  If I am right then the torque for the different plates is as follows

lbs         diameter     T = R * M

10           8 15/16      44 11/16

25          11 5/8         145  5/16

35          14  1/12      246 11/24

45          17 3/4         399  3/8

I pulled these diameters off of the Ivanko site.   A 45lbs plate is pretty incredible.

thanks,

- lane

(Edited by lane at 5:56 pm on April 3, 2001)

I did a rough estimate some time ago based on plate diameter and finger length that seemed to indicate a 35-45 lb plate curl is equivalent to 3-4x as much on a regular wrist curl. But I estimated this just eyeballing dimensions.

Lane, I received your message. In my hasty reply I may have provided some misleading information. The magnitude of the torque on the wrist will be the same as that described in your table. Here we assume that the plate is held horizontal and that the plate's edge is vertically aligned with the wrist. These assumptions may not be accurate or realistic but they simplify the problem. The required force exerted with the hand to maintain a static system increases as finger distance on the plate decreases. To put another way, even though the torque on the wrist is the same for everbody, greater hand force is required as the hold gets closer to the plate's edge. David may have an advantage with gorilla sized hands but a 45-pound plate curl is still a 45-pound plate curl. The feat becomes more impressive if done with a smaller hand.