New Entry in "The Black Log"

Tom Black

I have just added a new entry in The Black Log.  This log describes my experiences with the 12”x3/8” nail I partially bent, hereinafter to be called the Widow Maker.

Go to  Grippage

Tom,

I throughly enjoyed the log.  That name "Frightener of Steel" just popped in my head as I pictured you strolling down the ailes in the local hardware store looking for victims.  It must have been when I was watching cartoons and could see the various steel come to life and a murmur develop among them on what they should do to "get out of there!".  Ala Toy Story animation. :)

Thanks for your continued words of encouragement.

I’ve developed a good friendship with one of the salesmen at the local True Value Hardware store (for some reason I thought this was an Ace, I’ll have to go correct my old posts).  Yesterday we walked through many different isles looking for things I could bend, break or mutilate in some way.  It used to be that I merely went to the nails, but now I study bars, screwdrivers, files, U-bolts, graded bolts, and finally #12 Jack chain.  Nothing is safe from my grasp.  I think I got a little carried away and came home with a zinc plated steel bar (the same they use in WSM competitions) 3'x 5/8”.  I remembered reading that the big guys stopped with 11/16" (they couldn’t finish them into a U, but I forgot that they were bending 4-foot, not 3-foot for the thicker pieces.  I’ve decided if I try to bend this it will be in front of some witnesses, I won’t try it today in my workout.  I also won't stack a bunch of goofy towels on my head either.  I think it would be harder than 11/16"x4', by virtue of the shorter length, but I am not sure and they don't sell the 11/16".