First time bending in 4 years. Three vids bending paperclips

king crusher

21 minutes ago, stranger said:

I think it'll be harder to kink than the M but the crush will be much easier. But nails vary a lot more than drill rod so who knows? 

Here's the ratings for O drill rod and shiny nails

Screenshot_20220617-173528.png

Screenshot_20220617-173622.png

Thanks for that. It actually mentions the Menards nails! 475 is a beast. A red is like 440ish ain’t it? Might be awhile for these. I’ll try tomorrow just to see 

Cut and de-burred some M. 4pcs at 7” and the last one just left at 8” that’s a whole 36” rod

C10E039B-4AB0-48AF-A09F-ADC1BA70AE97.jpeg

• Like 1

So this morning I found out where I stand currently haha. 

M went down without issue

wrapped up the Menards grip fast 70d and laid into it. I could feel movement the first couple hits but that tell tale fold feeling never came ugh ohh

My body felt like I had just had a good workout but I just had to try a Red to see how they compare. 

the 70d is WAY harder than a red! I felt that tell tale fold on the red and knew I was making progress. I know for sure the red would’ve been completed if I did it first! But I’m glad I know how they compare. The fact I was already semi spent and took the red way further attests to that. 

I need a new digital caliper. It keeps turning on and off with a new battery. It is like 8 years old from harbor freight though. 

vids

M drill rod

Edited by king crusher
  • Like 4

Red nail DONE 

My outer pecs were a bit sore going into today but I wanted the red done on the one week anniversary of my return to bending. 

I will take about five days off from bending now. No problem with anything on todays bend though. 

to warm up I purposely bent to timber ties at chest level super slow to warm up. 

• Like 3

So today I decided to mark the middle and high side of that 70d I wobbled the other day so when I try it again I will be trying it in the correct direction and I realized something. Cutting off the head and tip brought the 7” 70d down to 6 3/8” so that has to make it a bit harder. 

either way, it’s harder than a red nail for sure. 

5E5A4650-0B55-4F1E-9FB7-32911764768F.jpeg

• Like 3

Really strong bend, love the intensity!

Sometimes I read that the red is harder than the bastard, but some people are just sure it's the other way around. Some people say overall a 70d is harder than the red, sometimes the opposite. 😄

Looks like it all comes down to the batch. Maybe if you would buy new reds, or buy 70ds from another company, it would be different. Who knows.

I experienced the same with the CRS I usually buy. Carbon and Manganese contents have a certain range in standardized alloy compositions, and the "same" type of steel can be actually really different (for us, anyway).

Edited by matek

23 minutes ago, matek said:

Really strong bend, love the intensity!

Sometimes I read that the red is harder than the bastard, but some people are just sure it's the other way around. Some people say overall a 70d is harder than the red, sometimes the opposite. 😄

Looks like it all comes down to the batch. Maybe if you would buy new reds, or buy 70ds from another company, it would be different. Who knows.

I experienced the same with the CRS I usually buy. Carbon and Manganese contents have a certain range in standardized alloy compositions, and the "same" type of steel can be actually really different (for us, anyway).

Thanks. Yeah sometimes I get a bit too psyched up. 

I read darker looking Chinese 70d are only 275ish and shiny ones are 475. This would for sure make these the latter. 

im bending one of the 70d in maybe 5 days

• Like 2

My oh my these Menards brite 70d spikes are beasts, or I’m just weak. 

so it measures 5/16 and 6 3/8” and I did make more progress on it. I thought today it would fall but nope. After the first few hits my right hand the pointer and middle fingers were in pain and I have a bit of missing skin on the middle finger so I couldn’t really give it 100%

it’s getting to were it might be not getting the full effect from a kink like a straight bar would so I may wrap up an uncut straight one next time. 

I did a M a few min after the 70d attempt and it was not hard but I made a workout of it just working the sweep purposely and keeping it low. I could have finished it way quicker. 

vids on page but here is the 70d now

4CDAB468-8D94-4A94-9D5C-B5B7D97F8C7B.jpeg

• Like 2

Okay so I need to back off the bars that are like max effort and work easier stock because my hands are not toughened up to bending. 

I got that red nail bent last Monday and on Thursday I gave it my all on that damn Menards brite 70d and today I wrapped up a O drill rod. Which btw, I would say is about the same if not a hair EASIER to kink than the Menards 6 3/8” 70d spike. 

I wobbled the O drill rod but my fingers hurt too much.  

I looked back in my old videos from 8 years ago and I did a red and this same O stock and I also took a P drill rod down to that mid point where I get stuck on hard stuff. 

Im going to get some brite 60d. That should give me lots of easier bending. The timber ties are too easy to be remotely hard. And drill rod is Spendy now to be buying a bunch of like J and K to blow through. 

I did experiment with just folding imps over the timber ties like hotdog buns and that does make it harder. 

just for the heck of it I’m posting a couple videos also of a P drill rod and a red in 15sec. I weighed a good 20lbs more and of course 8yrs younger. 
I’d like to get back to that level but being older and lighter I don’t know  

• Like 2

Nice bending... I think you can get to your former self and then some. 

Even for me the 60d spirals are easy but I love to snap them. Thats another thing you could do if snapping is your thing. 

• Thanks 1

Im founding hitting maximal and slightly under maxima  too much can be counterproductive. Im beginning to wonder how to gain more strength for a bend. And your right drill pricing precludes me from buying a bunch. Still easier to get nails, bolts and 1/4 stock. But even then how would doing 5/16x7 for reps help you bend 11/32 or 8.8s 

3 hours ago, BottledCitrus said:

Im founding hitting maximal and slightly under maxima  too much can be counterproductive. Im beginning to wonder how to gain more strength for a bend. And your right drill pricing precludes me from buying a bunch. Still easier to get nails, bolts and 1/4 stock. But even then how would doing 5/16x7 for reps help you bend 11/32 or 8.8s 

I have a pretty good amount of O and P drill rod already cut. I also have some 5/16 304 stainless steel and regular 5/16 CRS. As well as Q drill rod and even a couple edgin bolts. So I have some hard stock, if I ever get there. 

I actually looked back and found a video of me blasting through 5/16 crs super fast and I commented that it’s easier than O drill rod by far. So that will probably be what I use I only have maybe 8 or 9 bars though. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice bending... I think you can get to your former self and then some. 

Even for me the 60d spirals are easy but I love to snap them. Thats another thing you could do if snapping is your thing. 

I ordered a 30lb box of brite 60d nails. They should be a good bit harder than spiral timber ties. They should arrive in a couple days. 

I am also building a bending table to put in my gym. Here’s the start

F833CE09-A1B6-49CA-AA2E-29D0CD038D67.jpeg

• Like 4

So here is the bending table completed in all of its glory. 

I wonder if anyone can guess what I used to hold the nails/bars?

EDA8A452-D3C2-4554-94C7-B922B2E661FB.jpeg

CC626374-8BCF-4FD0-A160-48FEFADD06BB.jpeg

7395CD38-70DB-4D79-9A02-ED6342FBDABC.jpeg

9D2F0E9F-A1AE-47D1-9F60-80024C1A4143.jpeg

• Like 5

Looks great. I’d like to build something similar.

• Thanks 1

So my 30lb box of brite 60d nails came this afternoon and of course I had to try one right away. 

I would guess it’s around a K drill rod which is perfect for getting some bends in without busting up my old mid 40’s hands haha. I feel like bending is a great supplement to weight training but I’ve found over the last two weeks it’s tough to hit big bends and lift heavy. I didn’t have an issue 8yrs ago but now in my mid 40’s it’s a lot of volume. 

these 60d nails are a great mid point between the super easy timber ties and expensive drill rod. 

0877AFDA-FAE5-4880-847F-6083D70686FB.jpeg

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, king crusher said:

So my 30lb box of brite 60d nails came this afternoon and of course I had to try one right away. 

I would guess it’s around a K drill rod which is perfect for getting some bends in without busting up my old mid 40’s hands haha. I feel like bending is a great supplement to weight training but I’ve found over the last two weeks it’s tough to hit big bends and lift heavy. I didn’t have an issue 8yrs ago but now in my mid 40’s it’s a lot of volume. 

these 60d nails are a great mid point between the super easy timber ties and expensive drill rod. 

0877AFDA-FAE5-4880-847F-6083D70686FB.jpeg

I’m gonna check those out. I’ve got about 4 or 5 40lbs boxes of 60d spiral and 3 50lbs boxes of 60ds. Home Depot had a clearance sale. At 29, bending can drain me too but I’m still sorta new to it. 

The last couple days I feel like all I’ve been doing is suggesting David Horne products… I swear I’m not an affiliate, but you should buy the Wrist Developer. It’s a great way to practice/ warm up for bending. In the long run you save money if you just use it for warming up. Nothing replaces or beats bending but it’s my favorite device. I only say this because bending gets expensive.

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 1