First time bending in 4 years. Three vids bending paperclips

king crusher

Okay so I opened my box of steel. 

My only really light stuff for warmups are 60d spiral nails from Home Depot so I wrapped one up. It was so easy but my wrapping is a total mess. I need to use some pony clamps at least. Obviously my technique is horrible(never was great but I was doing reds in imp wraps in 13-14 seconds years back)

second bend was a spiral in one imp wrap. Palms are not as tough as they were when I was bending. Still easy to bend though. 

third was a J drill rod that was kinked already from 2018. I couldn’t finish it in 2018. I cut weight and was doing tons of cardio in 2018 and got to only 179lbs. Now I’m where my body likes to be about 203lbs so today that J drill rod went down. It was of course harder than the spirals but not a max even now. It was fun to do this today. 

I have a good amount of bars still. Drill rod up to R, some 5/16 stainless and aluminum from Lucas I believe, some rated bars (490-590lb) and hard! 5/16 grade 5 bolts from EJ wayyy back when and about 8 red nails. All of that is way too hard now I wouldn’t even try. 

here are the bends

• Like 7

So I looked back through my videos and even though I bent two measly spiral nails and kinked a J in 2018, the last time before that that I bent was a red mail in sept of 2015! And before that was when I was bending often in 2014! So it’s been forever. 

I’ll wrap up a K next time. But this time I’ll chalk the wraps and use a clamp to get a tighter wrap. 

• Like 3

Good start brother, it'll comeback like riding a bike! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Okay so today I bent three bars. 

one was just the spiral mail for a warm up. 

next, and to clarify on what I talked about in the K video, the J bar was in fact a J. I mentioned in the K video it’s painted yellow on the end but realize now after looking at some of my uncut precision Marshall drill rod that all the ends are yellow. So this rod was just an end piece. I forgot as I cut these down in like 2014!

I also didn’t realize until I measured it was after the video that the J was an 8” piece. 

the last bend was a K at 7” and was much harder than the 8” J. 

I wouldn’t say it’s a max bend but it was a lot harder and put pressure on my left pointer finger which is the spot that takes a beating for me. 

both bars bent down to just under 1.5”

the bends 

Edited by king crusher
  • Like 3

So I’ve been researching steel and buying some more. I really need some training stock. The timber ties are super easy and I’m out of I and J drill rod and have like 6 K bars left. 

I last bought at precision marshal and I still have some 36” stock to cut down but it’s like O size. 

on their site it looks like it’s 12-15 dollars per 36” piece so 5 7” bars for that price seems Spendy. I don’t think it costed that much in 2014? Does anyone know how much it’s went up, everything is up now days!!!

that’s for the O-1 lettered and you don’t save money getting longer lengths either. 

I also looked on FBBC and they sell bags of bars on there. Wonder which way I should go? What do you guys think?

Zoro has J for a good price.

https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-oil-hard-drill-rod-o1-j-0277-in-o1dj6/i/G2789599/

Fat Bastard has great prices but usually take a while to get. 

If you want a really inexpensive way, get shiney 60d's from Ace hardware 

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/hardware/nails-and-staples/nails/5023851

@devinhoosells almost everything (good prices and great service too) but I'm not sure if he opens back up after his move. I think July. 

https://eatchalkgetbig.square.site/

Hope this helps

Edited by stranger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, stranger said:

Zoro has J for a good price.

https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-oil-hard-drill-rod-o1-j-0277-in-o1dj6/i/G2789599/

Fat Bastard has great prices but usually take a while to get. 

If you want a really inexpensive way, get shiney 60d's from Ace hardware 

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/hardware/nails-and-staples/nails/5023851

@devinhoosells almost everything (good prices and great service too) but I'm not sure if he opens back up after his move. I think July. 

https://eatchalkgetbig.square.site/

Hope this helps

That drill rod is out of stock but yes, good deal. That site is odd, it’s not in order at all and pricing is all over the place. 

have you guys bent the bright vs hot dipped galvanized 60d? Which is harder and how do they both bend?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, king crusher said:

That drill rod is out of stock but yes, good deal. That site is odd, it’s not in order at all and pricing is all over the place. 

have you guys bent the bright vs hot dipped galvanized 60d? Which is harder and how do they both bend?

The bright ones are definitely harder. Judging by your recent drill rod bends they shouldn't be a problem for you. 

There's a reference tab in that last link I shared (Eatchalkgetbig) that has tons of steel ratings on it. It's super useful and I use it all the time whenever I'm bending.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, stranger said:

The bright ones are definitely harder. Judging by your recent drill rod bends they shouldn't be a problem for you. 

There's a reference tab in that last link I shared (Eatchalkgetbig) that has tons of steel ratings on it. It's super useful and I use it all the time whenever I'm bending.

I’ll check that out thanks. 

here is everything I have to bend not including a few 36” lengths I still need to cut. 
I need some easier stock!

The pic of the slightly wobbled G5 5/16 bolt is what I was able to do in 2014 in imp pads. That thing makes a red nail seem like a brad nail

6A682CFC-CA4E-47F6-8088-A47FDBF6244A.jpeg

BF807C6F-EB74-48D0-8A9F-355BFC4CDD39.jpeg

• Like 2

L drill rod in imp’s. This was a bit harder than the K yesterday but I did it easier and quicker. Probably due to both efficiency and confidence. Obviously I didn’t get stronger in 22hrs since the K so it’s just getting back in the swing of it. 

I mainly want to bend again because it really helped with my bench press in 2014-15. I noticed it for sure. But also because it’s fun. 

• Like 3

Okay so I was pricing drill rod and for 12 - 36” pieces it would be like 70 bucks plus 24 for shipping! That’s for the precision Marshall stuff I have now which is good stuff. 

I found a local metal supply place though that has CRS, HRS aluminum, stainless etc and they said that amount of 5/16 crs would only be 35 dollars and I can pick up. 

I gave them that dimension just to price it but could get different sizes. 

Isn’t the red mail and bastard bars just 5/16 crs?

this economically seems to make more sense. 

What sizes would be good to get in CRS?

1 hour ago, king crusher said:

Okay so I was pricing drill rod and for 12 - 36” pieces it would be like 70 bucks plus 24 for shipping! That’s for the precision Marshall stuff I have now which is good stuff. 

I found a local metal supply place though that has CRS, HRS aluminum, stainless etc and they said that amount of 5/16 crs would only be 35 dollars and I can pick up. 

I gave them that dimension just to price it but could get different sizes. 

Isn’t the red mail and bastard bars just 5/16 crs?

this economically seems to make more sense. 

What sizes would be good to get in CRS?

Just get some round 9/32" & 5/16" 1018 cold rolled steel. Do you have any bending goals?

• Thanks 1

Yes the red nail and bastard are 5/16" CRS.

For now, I would buy 9/32" HEX CRS (the rating is around the L drill rod, just cheaper), maybe some M drill rods, and 5/16" CRS. 

And for warmup I would get 9/32" CRS.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Danny Young said:

Just get some round 9/32" & 5/16" 1018 cold rolled steel. Do you have any bending goals?

For sure get back to doing the red and then we’ll see. 
what should I expect bending the crs vs o1 drill rod? Have not touched a red since Jan of 15 I think it was

10 minutes ago, king crusher said:

For sure get back to doing the red and then we’ll see. 
what should I expect bending the crs vs o1 drill rod? Have not touched a red since Jan of 15 I think it was

0-1 DR will seriously bind on the sweep and crush especially as you move up in diameter size. You should just stick with the DR while working your way up in bigger DR.

43 minutes ago, Danny Young said:

0-1 DR will seriously bind on the sweep and crush especially as you move up in diameter size. You should just stick with the DR while working your way up in bigger DR.

I’m going to ask about it at this local metal supplier. I have like 2 bars of L left only and one 36” piece of M. I have O P and Q too

@king crusher Something I really like is 70d shiny nails. They're the same size as Reds but probably the cheapest option. You can get a box of 300 for about $100 shipped depending on where you live. Or order just a few to make sure that you like them first then decide if you wanna buy a box or not. 

I cut the head off with bolt cutters so that I don't have to re wrap each bend. 

https://www.menards.com/main/hardware/fasteners-connectors/nails/common-nails/grip-fast-reg-7-bright-smooth-shank-common-spike-nails/2292117/p-4364363665809972.htm 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stranger said:

@king crusher Something I really like is 70d shiny nails. They're the same size as Reds but probably the cheapest option. You can get a box of 300 for about $100 shipped depending on where you live. Or order just a few to make sure that you like them first then decide if you wanna buy a box or not. 

I cut the head off with bolt cutters so that I don't have to re wrap each bend. 

https://www.menards.com/main/hardware/fasteners-connectors/nails/common-nails/grip-fast-reg-7-bright-smooth-shank-common-spike-nails/2292117/p-4364363665809972.htm 

That’s a great idea I will have a box sent to my local Menards! I’ll start with that 30 count. 
how hard are they compared to drill rod or reds?

I wonder if cutting the head and tip off would be good? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, king crusher said:

That’s a great idea I will have a box sent to my local Menards! I’ll start with that 30 count. 
how hard are they compared to drill rod or reds?

I wonder if cutting the head and tip off would be good? 

Very similar to reds in the kink but they give up on the crush. But at $0.33 a bend it's hard to pass up. 

Cutting the top would probably help save your pads but I'm not sure how much or if its worth the time. Definitely something worth looking into though. 

4 hours ago, stranger said:

Very similar to reds in the kink but they give up on the crush. But at $0.33 a bend it's hard to pass up. 

Cutting the top would probably help save your pads but I'm not sure how much or if its worth the time. Definitely something worth looking into though. 

Sounds awesome. I went to Menards today and they had the 30 count box for 13 bucks. Plus the 11% rebate can’t forget that ha. 

I will try one soon I’m sure. 

They don’t stock the 50lb box but I can get it sent to the store if I want they are like 78.00

• Like 1

Only takes a few seconds with the angle grinder to cut the tip and head off. Then out of boredom I put the grinding wheel on and de-burred the ends. 

AAB7ABCD-7629-4CAD-B647-EEE4A1D03754.jpeg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Only takes a few seconds with the angle grinder to cut the tip and head off. Then out of boredom I put the grinding wheel on and de-burred the ends. 

AAB7ABCD-7629-4CAD-B647-EEE4A1D03754.jpeg

They look good to go! I use bolt cutters but definitely need something to clean off the ends, save my pads a little.

• Like 2

Just now, stranger said:

They look good to go! I use bolt cutters but definitely need something to clean off the ends, save my pads a little.

They do look good to go. Now the question is, am I haha we’ll see. 

I did that L yesterday and tomorrow I was planning on a M. How will this 70d fit in with the L and M?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, king crusher said:

They do look good to go. Now the question is, am I haha we’ll see. 

I did that L yesterday and tomorrow I was planning on a M. How will this 70d fit in with the L and M?

I think it'll be harder to kink than the M but the crush will be much easier. But nails vary a lot more than drill rod so who knows? 

Here's the ratings for O drill rod and shiny nails

Screenshot_20220617-173528.png

Screenshot_20220617-173622.png