finally getting THE standard

cantgripcrap

Hey grip dude and dudets,

Wanna convinced me to get THE standard in gripping so I ordered the CoC Trainer since I CAN'T GRIP CRAP and also went for the Mastery of Hand Strength since more knowledge is good thing. I think I'll give my Ivanko a rest and work on the T for a while.

Anxiously waiting,

Cantgripcrap

I think you made a smart choice.  Brookfields book is very informative.  As for the Trainer, thats what I started with.  I couldn't even close it when I started.  Now, on a good day I can do the #2.  Just trying to show you what can happen if you work at it.  Most of my friends can't close the Trainer and just give up right away.  I think of it this way- Hard work + persistance=closing the #3.  Keep working and you'll get there.

JD

Ah, there's still hope for me....that's good to know. Tell me, what did you do to help close the "T"? Is doing half reps and negs is the way to go? Give me an idea if you would about reps/sets/frequency.... I appreciate the help.

F

At the time I didn't know what a half rep or a negative was.  I was very ignorant when it came to grip training.  I just grabbed it and squeezed.  I used to do two workouts a week.  After a month or so I just kind of started getting reps.  I honestly think it was kind of a mental thing.  I got it in my head that I could do it and I did.  Technique is important too.  You have to place the gripper in your hand just right, so you can use all your power.  My main point is, don't psych yourself out.  You may be able to rep it right from the start, if your mind will let you.  If not, follow some of Brookfields advice for crushing grip and continue using the SG.  Soon the trainer will be nothing.  Good luck!

JD

I agree with JD79.  Don't fall into the trap of using the grippers each and everyday.  That's NOT what they are for.  I would suggest timed holds if possible.  And do other types of grip training.  Hold the gripper as it feels most comfortable to you - if it feels "wrong" it probably is.  And lay off the "repping" nonsense - it only gets your hands sore, and doesn't improve your grip strength.  Here's to your training!.....

Guest Gordon Cooper

My Beef Builder Advanced (nominal 140 lb. closure pressure) arrived today. I am within 1/4 of an inch of closure. (I have never owned a Trainer, went for the Pony #3203 clamp instead, a savings of about 16 dollars over the Trainer.) I am certain that I will be closing it at will in a couple of weeks. I suspect the early improvements by grip trainees on the CoC and other grippers are neurological and probably rapid, since they presumable have never used this sort of gripper before.  

If an old dude like me with carpal tunnel syndrome can get that close with an Advanced on a first try, I really worry about the overall health and grip strength of high school students.

Guest Sarpedon

Gordon, in my experience, most can shut the trainer,

or even the #1. I don't know where other grippage

posters find their victims, but mine have all closed

the #1. Albeit, some have complained that it hurts.

I've given the #1 to two people, non-weightlifters,

and have seen them close it. One was my roommate

who rarely works out and does mainly CV and

basketball when he does. The other is my dad,

55 years old and no history of weight training

and an inactive lifestyle. He shut the thing even

more convincingly than my roommate.

I would never brag about my ability to close the

#1... It's not a feat that is impossible to most

grown men. How to explain the failure of people

such as Sybersnott's co-workers? I think that, as

in the case of my roommate, many people hold

back at first, since the handles are sharply knurled.

When he complained, I shamed him into trying

harder and, sure enough, it closed.  

By the way, I have a wider-than-average handled

trainer that's pretty tough, and this #1 is still a

fair bit harder... It isn't defective or unusually weak.

Sarp.

Guest Dr Tom

Sarpedon:  I've posted this before but I've handed my #1 to more than a dozen people (more like 18-20) and NO ONE has closed it fully.  Even men w/ "strong" grips.

Admittedly, I don't hang out w/ lots of guys who lift.  However, my Aussie neighbor who has lifted for many years and is quite strong can't convincingly close it , either.  I think that there must be significant variation among the grippers.  I plan on sending mine to PDA once they get up to speed on their testing equipment.

Fred,

close the gripper as far as you can, and then hoooold at that position for a few seconds before you release at a controlled speed. Repeat a few times. The "T" will be yours. When you can do 5 reps with the T, start trying the same technique out with the #1. If you have experienced an ability in your other training to take very high severity and intensity, you may use negatives instead of or in addition to the approach outlined above.