Card tearing/ Practice

Ole' Puller

"A time for tearing"

"Over a year ago I ordered a complete set of certification cards from @cardtearing along with the rubber isometric trainer. I eventually tore the trainer which was very satisfying but I didn't go any further. I've always found card tearing to be extremely interesting and I really appreciate all of the card tearers out there so I decided to add this activity to my regular training. I purchased a dozen practice cards to work on proper technique in stages. I have a particular interest in both braced and unbraced card tearing so I'll practice both styles accordingly. Today's session was unbraced and I split the deck into 2 decks of 26 cards and quartered them. These cards are entry level but provided good training and it feels good to join the community!"
👊〰️👊FB_IMG_1651167796832.thumb.jpg.70b86e0482ce054ae10812ea0cd20a9c.jpg

• Like 2

Card tearing practice
• Two full decks
• Entry level difficulty
• Unbraced

"Here's a quick look at a card tearing session I completed late yesterday and early today. The tears felt good but work is needed. I definitely need to incorporate more upper body and wrist torque but nothing that time and practice won't fix."
🤜🤛

IMG_20220428_003358479.thumb.jpg.31435aa0c434fb67a51f958ba00a072b.jpg

• Like 4

On 4/28/2022 at 2:08 PM, Jared P said:

Awesome. Card tearing is definitely something I could see myself getting into in the future.

Thank you brother, I appreciate that my friend! Yes, I wanted to include card tearing into my training for a while now so it feels good to finally get started.🤙

"Braced card tearing practice"
• Full deck
• Entry level deck

"This card tearing session involved braced tearing. In training to become good at both unbraced and braced card tearing I'll be splitting the two sessions appropriately. For the braced version I wanted to experiment with different grips and placement on the body so I didn't record this session but the position I chose felt comfortable so it will be wise to stick to that technique. The tear itself felt great and I can definitely handle a thicker deck but I'll do so gradually, for now though this was very pleasing .. I'm going to need to order another dozen or two decks and I'll be adding mavericks as a good step up."
🤙👊🤙FB_IMG_1651501263929.thumb.jpg.1689e7298a47004567e41097d055cad3.jpg

• Like 3

"Card tearing session"
• Full deck
• Entry level cards

"Along with horseshoe bending, I got in a good tear on a deck of cards that felt really good. I worked on better technique and speed today and I look forward to great results down the road.🤙

IMG_20220503_144446321.thumb.jpg.ab7bd142326b996a09a3feba42d9067f.jpgIMG_20220503_145120582.thumb.jpg.1b18dab5a8da3b8fdf836bcc958c9413.jpg

• Like 4

"Braced card tearing practice"
• Full decks
• Entry level decks

"Today's braced card tearing session was very nice. I tore 2 decks in a braced position and I learned a few things during the first tear. In the first go around, I didn't grip the cards as tight as I should have nor did I apply downward pressure which caused some slippage. The tear itself was satisfying but I knew I could do better so I unwrapped a second deck and made a few adjustments which went really smooth!"
🤜👊🤛

IMG_20220508_120920655.thumb.jpg.40bf9177871626fbe4d096a3ff9337cc.jpg

• Like 5

Keep it up... I'm dying to try some card tearing, but i've got too many irons in the fire as it is.

• Like 2

Card tearing practice/ Mavericks:

• Mavericks (full deck)
• Unbraced

"For today's card tearing session I moved up to a deck of mavericks. I intend to continue training with the entry level decks but I'll load them up with more difficult cards to  increase the difficulty, while tearing more of these mavericks because I found today's session to be of a great help to me. First off, they were more slippery due the better quality which showed me where the adjustments are needed. The tear itself wasn't difficult but I need to work on correcting the slippage. Overall I was quite pleased with today's card tearing practice"
👊〰️👊

IMG_20220513_141057494.thumb.jpg.0a1447d31f2fbf6c668c53889b2a1367.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Ole' Puller said:

Card tearing practice/ Mavericks:

• Mavericks (full deck)
• Unbraced

"For today's card tearing session I moved up to a deck of mavericks. I intend to continue training with the entry level decks but I'll load them up with more difficult cards to  increase the difficulty, while tearing more of these mavericks because I found today's session to be of a great help to me. First off, they were more slippery due the better quality which showed me where the adjustments are needed. The tear itself wasn't difficult but I need to work on correcting the slippage. Overall I was quite pleased with today's card tearing practice"
👊〰️👊

IMG_20220513_141057494.thumb.jpg.0a1447d31f2fbf6c668c53889b2a1367.jpg

You smoked those Mavs Brother! I'm excited to see your progression.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, stranger said:

You smoked those Mavs Brother! I'm excited to see your progression.

Thank you brother! It felt good and it was a nice step up. I'll adjust to the slippage, but it was a pretty good tear.🤙

• Like 1

That's some nice work! I very recently bought 3 cheap decks so I can see what I can do. Technique doesn't exist yet lol. But is isn't NOT easy. 

Only a few days later I managed to tear 15 and then again in half. And 2 days ago I did 20 cards and again in half. 

The cards I bought seem laminated, definitely not as "papery" as the deck of cards I have in my house if somebody wants to play and not tear them lol.. 

I'll keep trying. As if all the other stuff I do wasn't enough, now I got card tearing as well 😐🤔🐵👀

• Like 2

On 5/8/2022 at 3:01 PM, Blacksmith513 said:

Keep it up... I'm dying to try some card tearing, but i've got too many irons in the fire as it is.

Thanks brother! I'm really enjoying gradually moving up in progressions and making adjustments along the way.🤝

7 minutes ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

That's some nice work! I very recently bought 3 cheap decks so I can see what I can do. Technique doesn't exist yet lol. But is isn't NOT easy. 

Only a few days later I managed to tear 15 and then again in half. And 2 days ago I did 20 cards and again in half. 

The cards I bought seem laminated, definitely not as "papery" as the deck of cards I have in my house if somebody wants to play and not tear them lol.. 

I'll keep trying. As if all the other stuff I do wasn't enough, now I got card tearing as well 😐🤔🐵👀

Thank you brother! Yes, it's very addictive and is rooted to classic strongman feats of hand strength which is what I appreciate the most about it.🤙

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ole' Puller said:

Thanks brother! I'm really enjoying gradually moving up in progressions and making adjustments along the way.🤝

You know, i was thinking recently, it would be great if you where on "Beyond the Bend".... I was listening to one of the more recent ones and they mentioned your name...  You should get on there and tell your story.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

You know, i was thinking recently, it would be great if you where on "Beyond the Bend".... I was listening to one of the more recent ones and they mentioned your name...  You should get on there and tell your story.

I second this.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, stranger said:

I second this.

Me too! Would be awesome. And would be great to hear your story as well Chaz. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yes, I've been invited to appear by Cody, but a few things around Thanksgiving of 2021 came up and Cody had to cancel out . Afterwards we tried a few more times but work schedules and such got in the way because the day available that Cody records the episodes is on a Monday and it's not often I get a Monday off from work. We spoke of of the possibility of recording episodes on other days of convenience. I hope it works out because I love the show and would be very flattered to sit through an interview.

• Like 4

Braced card tearing:
• @cardtearing 54
• @cardtearing 63
• Full entry level deck +6 Mavericks

"Today's braced card tearing session was super! It felt great to finally start working my way through the original set of certification cards from Anton Naumstev with @cardtearing. I started with a set of 54 and right away there's a BIG difference in both difficulty and feel. First off the dimensions of the cards are smaller and the taped ends really force you to rely heavily on thumb and finger strength and I really appreciate that. Afterwards I micro loaded a full entry level deck with 6 mavericks and had no trouble tearing through it, I definitely could've added more mavs. To finish off today's training, I decided to have a go at the @cardtearing 63 which was a good challenge that I was able to complete and I learned a lot during this tear. I'll be including a bit more thumb and pinch training than I already do which should benefit me greatly as I progress to much harder decks!
Very grateful!🤙🤜🤛🤙

IMG_20220517_125730879.thumb.jpg.9b60e0aafd780d320e1e78f78110a804.jpg

• Like 3

Unbraced card tearing:

• Mavericks (full deck)
• Bicycles (loading deck) (+ 5 cards)

"Today's card tearing progression involved a full deck of Mavs loaded with 5 bicycles. The tear itself wasn't difficult but this is about progressing gradually over time and was very pleasing. The most notable difference from previous tears was the slippage! Between the better quality Mavs and just 5 bikes, the slippage was something to deal with. In addition to the slippage was my silver screen video footage! In typical Marty fashion the tear left the camera frame (what a surprise!) but I assure you it was an unbraced tear even though I used my whiskers at the very end to keep the cards from exploding out of my hand! 
🤙🦀🤙

IMG_20220521_133718902_BURST000_COVER_TOP.thumb.jpg.49c52b6df064d8ae4d2dc6c03c38dbd2.jpg

• Like 3

Braced card tearing:

• "85" cards (taped)
• 1 full entry level deck (55cards)
• +10 entry level cards
• +10 Mavericks
• +10 Bicycles

"Also on the menu for today's training was braced card tearing. I succeeded in tearing a deck of 85 cards taped at the ends. The deck was loaded with entry level cards, Mavs and bikes and was a good challenge. I was very grateful to have torn this deck and it's a good step towards tougher rips!"
🤙🦀🤙

IMG_20220523_103820510.thumb.jpg.983ef043f26d9a63bb59b43dd46f0863.jpgIMG_20220523_104644283.thumb.jpg.261a7e62f143cb819710accff6a51d04.jpgIMG_20220524_121756292.thumb.jpg.bb822c96058d16c90d1b7eb4d34e9fb7.jpg

• Like 3

Unbraced card tearing:

• Full deck of mavericks
• + 5 bicycles
• + 5 entry level cards
• 62 card tear

"I just finished a good card tearing session that wasn't the prettiest but I got through it. I used a full deck of mavs and loaded the deck with 5 bikes and 5 entry level cards that proved to be a good challenge .. very rewarding!"
👊🦀👊

IMG_20220529_121634523.thumb.jpg.9fe4d7fcfb8adef963574c89636e4178.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Unbraced card tearing/ Half in half:
• A deck of mavericks split into two decks of 28 cards and prepped

"For today's card tearing session I tried the half in half tear created by Anton Naumstev with @cardtearing. If felt really good and I can now move on to thicker decks of this type of tear that's a bit more challenging. Very grateful!"
🤜🦀🤛

IMG_20220609_111253174.thumb.jpg.3f45a1e92bc6a82d64098ace1850fed9.jpgIMG_20220609_112725717.thumb.jpg.a312834e090735db54e919cd1c8e379b.jpg

• Like 2

Very impressive

• Like 1

"Quartering a deck"
• Full deck of mavericks
• Quartered

"For today's card tearing session I quartered a deck of mavs. I didn't record this one today because I literally was on my way to work, right before I stepped out the door, I decided to practice quartering today instead of tomorrow. I'll definitely post up a video next time!"🤙🦀🤙
@cardtearingIMG_20220616_133950516.thumb.jpg.152e2742fe1d359a626bf7a951213f15.jpgIMG_20220616_134613755.thumb.jpg.59ada3d26daa471bdd2bc36e4a431362.jpg

• Like 1