How much weight do I have to lift in order for me to be considered strong at 1 HP?

DevilErik

Hey guys as some of you already know I got a 60mm pinch block now.

I can 1 HP 25 kg on my 60mm pinch block now after less than two weeks and I was wondering how strong that is.

I can't really find that much about numbers.

I really enjoy chasing numbers when it comes to grip.

Thanks in advance,

Erik

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Hey guys as some of you already know I got a 60mm pinch block and a 60mm rolling handle now.

I can 1 HP 25 kg on my 60mm pinch block now after less than two weeks and I was wondering how strong that is.

I can't really find that much about numbers.

You are already pretty strong! Just keep getting stronger..

I always assumed for pinch and its depending on the wide of the block, but  60lbs or so is a respectable number for the pinch.....

For the rolling handle, anything over 150lbs i think.  These are just my estimates based on from watching different people lift with different grip tools. There is going to be variations..  Obviously there are people who can lift much more..  I could be off with my numbers, these are just my observations.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

You are already pretty strong! Just keep getting stronger..

I always assumed for pinch and its depending on the wide of the block, but  60lbs or so is a respectable number for the pinch.....

For the rolling handle, anything over 150lbs i think.  These are just my estimates based on from watching different people lift with different grip tools. There is going to be variations..  Obviously there are people who can lift much more..  I could be off with my numbers, these are just my observations.

Thanks man I appreciate that.

I know it depends on the width of the block I was just curious about the numbers.

I don't think I have enough weight for the rolling handle yet I don't want to rush it so I am still gradually working my way up but it really doesn't feel like thickbar to me because my fingers are nearly able to touch haha.

That should be about right the highest number I have seen on youtube is 200 lbs.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Thanks man I appreciate that.

I know it depends on the width of the block I was just curious about the numbers.

I don't think I have enough weight for the rolling handle yet I don't want to rush it so I am still gradually working my way up but it really doesn't feel like thickbar to me because my fingers are nearly able to touch haha.

That should be about right the highest number I have seen on youtube is 200 lbs.

Haha here’s what a normal persons hand looks like. Don’t mind the mess.

BAFB303F-35B4-4FB8-9AB0-AF9C425AD2B4.jpeg

• Haha 1

Just now, Blacksmith513 said:

Haha here’s what a normal persons hand looks like. Don’t mind the mess.

BAFB303F-35B4-4FB8-9AB0-AF9C425AD2B4.jpeg

A "normal" persons hand haha I love it.

1 minute ago, DevilErik said:

You'll be able to lift the inch someday for sure.  I just bought a second rolling handle. I waited patiently for it to go on sale, people do pull ups with them. I've hung from the monkey bars with one arm while holding my nephew but I can't even hold on for a half a second with these things.   They are awesome for hand strength.

If you are limited with weight is limited for now, and while I'm not a big fan of single finger lifts but you could try the pinch block with less fingers.  I've never tried it,  the idea just popped in my mind while typing this. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

You'll be able to lift the inch someday for sure.  I just bought a second rolling handle. I waited patiently for it to go on sale, people do pull ups with them. I've hung from the monkey bars with one arm while holding my nephew but I can't even hold on for a half a second with these things.   They are awesome for hand strength.

If you are limited with weight is limited for now, and while I'm not a big fan of single finger lifts but you could try the pinch block with less fingers.  I've never tried it,  the idea just popped in my mind while typing this. 

I think so too.

Awesome man pull ups are great.

I am holding myself back because I want my tendons to adapt to pinch and thickbar.

I know it's the right thing to do but I don't really have the patience.

25kg was super hard for me on the pinch block but it was WAY too easy on the rolling handle.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I think so too.

Awesome man pull ups are great.

I am holding myself back because I want my tendons to adapt to pinch and thickbar.

I know it's the right thing to do but I don't really have the patience.

25kg was super hard for me on the pinch block but it was WAY too easy on the rolling handle.

Low and slow....the reason I really like grip is, there are people in their 50s and 60s still killing it... Even 70s.  Jedd Johnson has always been a beast, and he's still getting stronger, David Horne is still going strong...  Slim said his prime was his 40s and early 50s.    It's all about that tendon strength....  I wish I was more aggressive with my training, but its scary when you go too hard and your tendons feel like they might snap and then you gotta dig or mix concrete all day.  That feeling doesn't happen too much anymore though. 

Look at it like you are laying the foundation out for a strong future... Keep at it like you are and you'll be pulling big numbers before you know it.

• Like 2

If you go to the gripsports top 100, you can see the best lifts in many categories, some of which are one hand pinch like Ironmind Blockbuster and Barrel Strength Systems Flask, along with 2HP and plenty of thickbar, rolling handle, anvil, gripper, and other feats.

http://www.gripsport.org/lists.htm

• Like 2

Just now, Vinnie said:

If you go to the gripsports top 100, you can see the best lifts in many categories, some of which are one hand pinch like Ironmind Blockbuster and Barrel Strength Systems Flask, along with 2HP and plenty of thickbar, rolling handle, anvil, gripper, and other feats.

The record is way over 200 pounds on rolling thunder, by the way, but 200 is still very hard (not sure I will ever get there).

On pinch blocks, the record for one hand is going to be in the low 100 pounds; not sure exactly but for the IM blockbuster it is probably right around 100 and a little higher on flask, but not as high as 150.

You'll probably do more on the rolling handle than pinch without too much trouble.  55 pounds on the pinch block is decent, especially if you aren't using a super-seasoned block.  If you watch a good video on chalking (I think John McCarter did one a while back), you might add 10 pounds to that without even getting stronger lol.  I've always done 10 or so pounds better on a well-seasoned comp pinch block than on my own.  The seasoning doesn't seem as crucial on the rolling handles, though, and that's probably even more true if you can get your hand all the way around it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Oh, what do you know, John McCarter still has the world record on BB, 49 kilos, I was there in the room when he set that in 2018!  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Awesome thanks for the info!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

The record is way over 200 pounds on rolling thunder, by the way, but 200 is still very hard (not sure I will ever get there).

On pinch blocks, the record for one hand is going to be in the low 100 pounds; not sure exactly but for the IM blockbuster it is probably right around 100 and a little higher on flask, but not as high as 150.

You'll probably do more on the rolling handle than pinch without too much trouble.  55 pounds on the pinch block is decent, especially if you aren't using a super-seasoned block.  If you watch a good video on chalking (I think John McCarter did one a while back), you might add 10 pounds to that without even getting stronger lol.  I've always done 10 or so pounds better on a well-seasoned comp pinch block than on my own.  The seasoning doesn't seem as crucial on the rolling handles, though, and that's probably even more true if you can get your hand all the way around it.

I have the RGT which is much more difficult than the rolling thunder.

I have a 60mm pinch block the blockbuster pinch block is HUGE.

I am definitely much stronger at thickbar.

I put some chalk on the block but not a lot.

My hands get so sweaty that it is impossible to hold on to anymore so I had to season it a bit even though I didn't really want to.

I don't have to chalk my rolling handle at all due to the size of my hands.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I had to season it a bit even though I didn't really want to

Chalking the implements is expected and perfectly acceptable at comps, and in all the records you see, and using it in training will let you use more weight to train your muscles and tendons -- so I affirmatively recommend you use it, or at least don't feel like you shouldn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevilErik said:

image.thumb.jpeg.b15a45e3bea74e8c45e4db7b20248389.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Chalking the implements is expected and perfectly acceptable at comps, and in all the records you see, and using it in training will let you use more weight to train your muscles and tendons -- so I affirmatively recommend you use it, or at least don't feel like you shouldn't.

Awesome! Then I am just going to season it.

Leaving KG's on the table just because I refuse to season my implements would be very stupid.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Awesome! Then I am just going to season it.

Leaving KG's on the table just because I refuse to season my implements would be very stupid.

By seasoning I just mean chalk of course.  I wouldn't alter the implements themselves; that would be cheating.  And on the rolling handles, the chalk is just for where your hands touch the implement.  You don't want it getting into the rolling mechanism, which would alter the implement.  It's just for traction.

• Like 1

Just now, Vinnie said:

By seasoning I just mean chalk of course.  I wouldn't alter the implements themselves; that would be cheating.  And on the rolling handles, the chalk is just for where your hands touch the implement.  You don't want it getting into the rolling mechanism, which would alter the implement.  It's just for traction.

Yeah I understand that.

I am not going to season my rolling handle anyway because it doesn't feel slippery at all.

My pinch block however is just way too slick and really needs some seasoning.

Thanks for all your help man I appreciate it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

image.thumb.jpeg.b15a45e3bea74e8c45e4db7b20248389.jpeg

I feel really  inadequate. It’s ok, smaller the hands bigger the tool looks. My Rolling Grip Thing looks big in my hands.

there’s only one way to season a tool and that’s by using it!

60mm pinch is in the “goldilocks zone” IMO along with the Flask and most standard plate pinching feats. 

Regarding plate pinching, I always felt like 2x25s was a stepping stone, 2x35s is strong, and 2x45s is the Elite feat. 

I would say 31-32kg (70lbs) on your block is “strong”.  And any time you PR is a time to celebrate!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cannon said:

60mm pinch is in the “goldilocks zone” IMO along with the Flask and most standard plate pinching feats. 

Regarding plate pinching, I always felt like 2x25s was a stepping stone, 2x35s is strong, and 2x45s is the Elite feat. 

I would say 31-32kg (70lbs) on your block is “strong”.  And any time you PR is a time to celebrate!

Awesome thanks for commenting!

I guess I am much stronger than I think I am.

I am definitely a PR celebrator I am calm and collected while lifting but once I hit a PR I usually start screaming lol.

I am going to shoot for 32kg then!

Edited by DevilErik

Pinch is a friction lift so it totally depends on what type of friction you can get, if it holds chalk or not.

For something that holds chalk I would say 100 lbs should be considered a good number for 1HP.

Then the size of the object also matters of course, if it's a really wide or a really narrow pinch width, then the number would be a lot less of course. For oprimal width, with chalk I would say 100 lbs. 

• Like 1

What’s a good number for a 4inch block?   

21 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Pinch is a friction lift so it totally depends on what type of friction you can get, if it holds chalk or not.

For something that holds chalk I would say 100 lbs should be considered a good number for 1HP.

Then the size of the object also matters of course, if it's a really wide or a really narrow pinch width, then the number would be a lot less of course. For oprimal width, with chalk I would say 100 lbs. 

Thanks for commenting!

It's a 60mm pinch block and it doesn't hold chalk AT ALL.

received_371275158217235.jpeg

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1