Customizing Grippers?

LABZSTS

Hello! So hypothetically, how would I go about customizing grippers? Like painting for example? 

Spray paint works well, but it’s not a great result because the tips of all the little knurling come off so easily. It’s like trying to paint the tip of a pencil. One bump and it’s gone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

Spray paint works well, but it’s not a great result because the tips of all the little knurling come off so easily. It’s like trying to paint the tip of a pencil. One bump and it’s gone. 

I tried that years ago…spray painted my Tetting GE and no.4 black. The no.4 is still black, but silver speckles come through.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2022 at 10:39 PM, slazbob said:

I tried that years ago…spray painted my Tetting GE and no.4 black. The no.4 is still black, but silver speckles come through.

Well that's a shame. I've always wanted a decently strong gripper that's pink. Grip is already a deceiving sport in general, especially towards newbs. Making a C.O.C. 2 gripper for example, pink, is just gonna make it funnier and more emasculating. My purple Grip genie 3 does t h at now.

• Like 1

Just now, LABZSTS said:

Well that's a shame. I've always wanted a decently strong gripper that's pink. Grip is already a deceiving sport in general, especially towards newbs. Making a C.O.C. 2 gripper for example, pink, is just gonna make it funnier and more emasculating. My purple Grip genie 3 does t h at now.

Also I just like the color in general

39 minutes ago, LABZSTS said:

Also I just like the color in general

blood looks pretty cool on grip tools! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

blood looks pretty cool on grip tools! 

True. If you mean real blood then all I need is sweat and tears to show the training I've done. Blood red is a nice color tho. The closest I have to that color is on my Grip genie 4 cannonpowerworks collab gripper that's Red and Blue.

16506842018685426789400269653482.jpg

• Like 2

Would dipping grippers in paint and letting them dry work? The same way its done rubber or flex seal? Speaking of which, is that a possible thing to do for better grip? Using Flex Seal or Flex seal color to customize the color or grip?

• 2 weeks later...

If it's aluminum handles, anodizing with some dye would be the best way to do it.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 5:46 AM, Fist of Fury said:

If it's aluminum handles, anodizing with some dye would be the best way to do it.

Really? That sounds lit. So like food coloring, or would it have to be a specific kind of dye?

5 hours ago, LABZSTS said:

Really? That sounds lit. So like food coloring, or would it have to be a specific kind of dye?

I have never done it myself but yes you probably have to use a certain type of dye. It's probably not easy to do. First you need know the theory of how it works then you need all the equipment for it. I'm sure there are good guides out there of how to do it. I don't think it's that hard if you read up on it and really want to do it. But it might be a bit of a hassle to get all the stuff set up. 

And you also need to remove the handles. Then glue (or screw) them back on again.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

I have never done it myself but yes you probably have to use a certain type of dye. It's probably not easy to do. First you need know the theory of how it works then you need all the equipment for it. I'm sure there are good guides out there of how to do it. I don't think it's that hard if you read up on it and really want to do it. But it might be a bit of a hassle to get all the stuff set up. 

And you also need to remove the handles. Then glue (or screw) them back on again.

Damn. You lost me at removing handles. The one thing I don't wanna do is damage or dismember my grippers. But I do have an idea 💡

A lot of custom car shops will anodize whatever you want and it's usually not very expensive so that's the first place I'd look if I didn't want to diy it. Removing handles is as simple as tossing the gripper in a vise and using some heat for most of them, some use pins or screws which is even easier. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LABZSTS said:

It isn’t dye. 

Anodized aluminum has been treated chemically by controlled oxidation. To create anodized aluminum, you use an electrochemical process where the metal is immersed in a series of tanks, wherein one of the tanks, the anodic layer is grown from the metal itself.

You’re essentially bathing the metal in an electrified chemical slurry. You can MacGyver this up at home but you had better know what you are doing ⚡

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cannon said:

It isn’t dye. 

Anodized aluminum has been treated chemically by controlled oxidation. To create anodized aluminum, you use an electrochemical process where the metal is immersed in a series of tanks, wherein one of the tanks, the anodic layer is grown from the metal itself.

You’re essentially bathing the metal in an electrified chemical slurry. You can MacGyver this up at home but you had better know what you are doing ⚡

Standard anodizing is done just through electrolysis and you can produce a small variety of colors through differences in voltage and time, but you can also add dye to this process and make an extremely wide variety of colors which is what most of the anodized items that we regular see have used. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Climber028 said:

Standard anodizing is done just through electrolysis and you can produce a small variety of colors through differences in voltage and time, but you can also add dye to this process and make an extremely wide variety of colors which is what most of the anodized items that we regular see have used. 

This is all good. Feedback. Do any is you guys have videos on this happening or how to do it? 

4 hours ago, LABZSTS said:

This is all good. Feedback. Do any is you guys have videos on this happening or how to do it? 

You can go on YouTube and find a video on how to do just about anything, including this. It's not hard, but if removing handles from a gripper is a hard task, then this might be too advanced for someone. Still, there's likely a local place near you that will do this for you, racing shops often have the equipment and don't care if you want something done that isn't a car part. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/12/2022 at 5:01 AM, Climber028 said:

A lot of custom car shops will anodize whatever you want and it's usually not very expensive so that's the first place I'd look if I didn't want to diy it. Removing handles is as simple as tossing the gripper in a vise and using some heat for most of them, some use pins or screws which is even easier. 

Huh. That's a great idea

• 9 months later...
On 4/22/2022 at 6:22 PM, LABZSTS said:

I just got a purple unicorn GG3 as well, very cool gripper!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Kevin Gripz said:

I just got a purple unicorn GG3 as well, very cool gripper!

Lol i had gotten a new one after I lost my first one. I missed it a lot so I'm glad GG brought them back for a time

• Like 1