Long steel double overhand

devinhoo

First time taking down a piece of 1/2” x 12” 6063 aluminum.

I’ve been trying to work on my mobility for really long double overhand bending, and while this wasn’t necessary a big PR it’s still a pretty neat bend.

This bar is pretty soft aluminum from the hardware store. It‘s not bad on the kink, but the crush is rough on shorter bars.

5E687BF3-0CC2-4248-80EB-3322AF5A4A55.jpeg

Edited by devinhoo
  • Like 8

Nice, those long bar DO bends are fun!

That's a really thick piece of metal. How thick do you need to go with aluminum for it to be equal to 8 mm CRS?

20 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Nice, those long bar DO bends are fun!

That's a really thick piece of metal. How thick do you need to go with aluminum for it to be equal to 8 mm CRS?

Honestly I haven't bent enough aluminum to know for sure, but 1/2" 6063 aluminum from the hardware store is probably around 5/16 CRS to kink, but it binds up on the crush like brass and the added diameter only makes that worse. I know that 6061 aluminum is more difficult, but I don't know by how much.

Here are some old posts I found about bending aluminum... however I've spoken to Squeezus a bunch about aluminum and he strongly recommends testing each batch of aluminum because they can snap unexpectedly.

Edited by devinhoo
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brett said:

Nice bend! At that diameter are you using single or double wraps? 

Single wraps. I'll occasionally use double wraps for 9" stock, but for anything longer I always use single wraps like you recommended. At that length they're too bulky to get into a good position and really don't seem to help much with leverage.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nice bending brother! 
you gotta have really good shoulder mobility to DOH bend something at that length!  Salute!  💪🏼💯

• Thanks 1