matek's training log

matek

Seems like forever since I did pinching... 

60mm pinch block
Both hands
- 2x1 28kg/61.7lb
- 2x1 29.3kg/64.6lb
- 2x1 30.6kg/67.5lb

80mm pinch block
Both hands
- 3x1 25.6kg/56.4lb

One fail with LH. 

Blob 40 - 18.7kg/41.2lb
RH: 
- 9x1

Long time no blobbin', but felt good. I was really surprised I got it all. Time to get a heavier one, probably. (The blob is upside down on the second picture, with the maker's logo. )
LH:
- 9x1 assisted lift with slow negatives

Did some DU and REV bending between the pinch sets (both in single leathers) 
DU:
- CRS 9/32" x 7"
- Galvanized steel 9mm x 7"
- Drill rod 9/32" x 7"
- Drill rod 7.2mm x 7"
- CRS 5/16" x 7"

REV:
- 3x CRS 9/32" x 7"

20230126_1.jpeg

20230126_2.jpeg

• Like 8

Grippers
RH:
- 2x2 GHP #7 (unrated) MMS
- 1x1 Standard Cobalt (RGC 165) MMS attempt

A few millimeters gap.. so pretty far lol 😅. I'm at the same distance I was before my 2 months break. Added a picture from the video. 
- 2x4 Standard Iron (RGC 134) 30mm block set          
LH:
- 3x1 GD Iron 90 Level 5, without extensions, set to 45mm width, handles touching, NS
- 2x7 CPW x GG4 (RGC 115) CCS

The red handle started to rotate around the spring leg a little bit ☹️. Pretty annoying when closing the gripper.

REV and DU bending (single leathers):
3x superset:
  - CRS 9/32" x 7" REV
  - CRS 5/16" x 7" DU

Still nothing crazy, I'm being careful with my left wrist.  
In the first set, I experimented with relying more on my back hand in reverse. It resulted in crazy off-center bend haha 😂

Forearm/wrist recovery
3x:
  - 40x Wrist curls
  - 35x Reverse wrist curls
3x:
  - 2x Ulnar deviation rolls with Twist yo Wrist
  - 2x Radial deviation rolls with Twist yo Wrist

Nice pump!

20230128_1.jpeg

20230128_2.JPG

20230128_3.jpeg

Edited by matek
  • Like 5

The look on your face with that off center bend is hilarious.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Blacksmith513 said:

The look on your face with that off center bend is hilarious.

😅 My wife (she recorded the bends) was laughing at it like "pffff ahah" which didn't help either... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, matek said:

Grippers
RH:
- 2x2 GHP #7 (unrated) MMS
- 1x1 Standard Cobalt (RGC 165) MMS attempt

A few millimeters gap.. so pretty far lol 😅. I'm at the same distance I was before my 2 months break. Added a picture from the video. 
- 2x4 Standard Iron (RGC 134) 30mm block set          
LH:
- 3x1 GD Iron 90 Level 5, without extensions, set to 45mm width, handles touching, NS
- 2x7 CPW x GG4 (RGC 115) CCS

The red handle started to rotate around the spring leg a little bit ☹️. Pretty annoying when closing the gripper.

REV and DU bending (single leathers):
3x superset:
  - CRS 9/32" x 7" REV
  - CRS 5/16" x 7" DU

Still nothing crazy, I'm being careful with my left wrist.  
In the first set, I experimented with relying more on my back hand in reverse. It resulted in crazy off-center bend haha 😂

Forearm/wrist recovery
3x:
  - 40x Wrist curls
  - 35x Reverse wrist curls
3x:
  - 2x Ulnar deviation rolls with Twist yo Wrist
  - 2x Radial deviation rolls with Twist yo Wrist

Nice pump!

20230128_1.jpeg

20230128_2.JPG

20230128_3.jpeg

Wow! Super impressive. What's the size of your forearm?

You gave me motivation to bend nails - probably will order next month! :)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AnaRhisT said:

Wow! Super impressive. What's the size of your forearm?

Thanks! It's been a while since I measured it, but I think it was a little over 38cm/15". 

6 minutes ago, AnaRhisT said:

You gave me motivation to bend nails - probably will order next month! :)

That's very nice to hear. 🙂 I recommend ordering the ECGB Beginner Bending Kit from Cannon, or the one straight from ECGB Devin. If you're closer to Canada, ordering the beginner kit from BSC Josh is also a great option. The beginner's bag from FBBC Andrew remains a good value option as well, but it might take a few weeks to get your order. If you're interested in braced bending and snapping as well, David Horne has a nice starter pack. 
He doesn't have a "beginner's kit", but I have to mention Jan Horrido , great place to get bolts cheap, especially if you're located in Europe. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, matek said:

Thanks! It's been a while since I measured it, but I think it was a little over 38cm/15". 

That's very nice to hear. 🙂 I recommend ordering the ECGB Beginner Bending Kit from Cannon, or the one straight from ECGB Devin. If you're closer to Canada, ordering the beginner kit from BSC Josh is also a great option. The beginner's bag from FBBC Andrew remains a good value option as well, but it might take a few weeks to get your order. If you're interested in braced bending and snapping as well, David Horne has a nice starter pack. 
He doesn't have a "beginner's kit", but I have to mention Jan Horrido , great place to get bolts cheap, especially if you're located in Europe. 

Thanks a lot, I already checked the prices in some of these websites a few weeks ago. The shipping is around 60$ in the kits that I'm interested ( By CanonPowerWorks ), this is disappointly high price. I'm struggling to find a good beginner kit with a low shipping cost. Will keep looking..

21 minutes ago, AnaRhisT said:

Thanks a lot, I already checked the prices in some of these websites a few weeks ago. The shipping is around 60$ in the kits that I'm interested ( By CanonPowerWorks ), this is disappointly high price. I'm struggling to find a good beginner kit with a low shipping cost. Will keep looking..

I've never ordered beginner's kits for the same reason (actually, it would be even more expensive for me). I order bars/bolts only for certifications and certification practice.
Try to find a supplier in your country (the closer, the better, of course). Order longer bars that you can cut up with a bolt cutter yourself. This is what I did and still do. Always think about the lengths you want, e.g., 5x7" and 2x6", so order a 47" long piece. Consider the shipping cost as well; for example, maybe with the 47" long bar, you're already in the 'next' shipping category, so let's say 5x7" and 1x6" makes more sense. The materials and diameter you can just copy from one of the beginner kits. Edit: you might not find the same materials in your country. In this case, you just have to learn about the materials yourself (I had to do this as well); material equivalents, chemical compositions. 
Let me know if you need help. 

Edited by matek
  • Like 2

Grippers + bending during the rests

Grippers RH:
- 2x1 Standard Cobalt RGC 165 MMS attempt
Same as last week; so close but so far. 
- 1x1 CoC #3 unrated, MMS
- 1x1 GHP #7 unrated, MMS
- 2x1 GoG Elite #6 unrated, 30mm block
- 1x2 Standard Iron RGC 134, 30mm block

Grip was already tired (+bending), couldn't rep it more. 

Grippers LH:
- 6x1 GD Iron 90 Level 5, standard width, without extensions, handles touching, MMS
Missed the last somehow. 
- 1x9 GD Iron 90 Level 4, standard width, without extensions, handles touching, MMS

Reverse bending (IMP cordura singles)
- 3x CRS 9/32" x 7"

DU bending (leather singles)
- 1x CRS 1/4" x 7" Square
- 1x CRS 7mm x 7" Hex

Hard batch (or I mixed some C45s to the normal CRS drawer?).
- 1x CRS 5/16" x 7"
Left wrist was fine, so I went thicker:
- 1x CRS 21/64" x 7"

20230131.JPG

Edited by matek
  • Like 8

Nice,  its funny you started up again with reverse and i'm about to start throwing in some DO bending. Real curious to see what I can do.. I'm really going to kick it up a notch with bending now.

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice,  its funny you started up again with reverse and i'm about to start throwing in some DO bending. Real curious to see what I can do.. I'm really going to kick it up a notch with bending now.

Sounds awesome!

3 hours ago, AnaRhisT said:

Amazing workout!!

Thanks!

60mm pinch block
Both hands:
- 1x 28kg/61.7lb
- 1x 29.3kg/64.6lb
- 1x 30.6kg/67.5lb
- 2x1 31.8kg/70.1lb

80mm pinch block:
Both hands:
- 2x1 25.7kg/56.7lb
- 2x1 27kg/59.5lb

Blob 40 - 18.7kg/41.2lb
RH:
- 10x1 with 2-3 sec hold on top
LH:
- 8x1 

Really happy about these with left hand. I don't know what happened and why I got so much better during the 2 months break. Maybe because I'm not DU bending pounds of steel every week like a madman 🤔. Also, I think I've been using too much chalk on my hands. I need a full coating, but the thinner, the better. 
- 2x1 assisted lift with slow negatives

Attempted a blob face lift because I was curious, and I have big enough hands to do it theoretically... but no chance, this thing should be illegal 😐.

20230201.JPG

Edited by matek
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, matek said:

60mm pinch block
Both hands:
- 1x 28kg/61.7lb
- 1x 29.3kg/64.6lb
- 1x 30.6kg/67.5lb
- 2x1 31.8kg/70.1lb

80mm pinch block:
Both hands:
- 2x1 25.7kg/56.7lb
- 2x1 27kg/59.5lb

Blob 40 - 18.7kg/41.2lb
RH:
- 10x1 with 2-3 sec hold on top
LH:
- 8x1 

Really happy about these with left hand. I don't know what happened and why I got so much better during the 2 months break. Maybe because I'm not DU bending pounds of steel every week like a madman 🤔. Also, I think I've been using too much chalk on my hands. I need a full coating, but the thinner, the better. 
- 2x1 assisted lift with slow negatives

Attempted a blob face lift because I was curious, and I have big enough hands to do it theoretically... but no chance, this thing should be illegal 😐.

20230201.JPG

You will get it, try some sort of deload setup for the blob with a resistance band. 

Bending is great but it takes a lot out of you and when you are training towards multiple goals you gotta find a proper balance.

With more rest you may find you can bend bigger pieces.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

You will get it, try some sort of deload setup for the blob with a resistance band. 

Yes, that might work. Or using my 125mm pinch block. But I don't think I will focus on the face lift until I can lift a 50lb blob. 

5 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Bending is great but it takes a lot out of you and when you are training towards multiple goals you gotta find a proper balance.

With more rest you may find you can bend bigger pieces.

That would be great!

• Like 1

Because the 40lb blob (well, actually 41lb) is getting a little bit too easy with RH, I ordered a 50lb one. I skipped the 45lb one for now; maybe I can get used to the 50lb blob using assisted lifts. If not, I can always get a 45lb one later. 

• Like 1

Rest day, but I wanted to do a few choked closes

RH:
- 2x1 Standard adjustable Titanium set to RGC 175 choked to 21mm
- 2x1 Standard adjustable Titanium set to RGC 167 choked to 21mm
- 1x1 Standard adjustable Titanium set to RGC 160 choked to 21mm

LH:
- 1x1 U-shaped 30mm parallel gripper set to RGC ~138
- 4x3 U-shaped 30mm parallel gripper set to RGC ~128

20230202.JPG

Edited by matek
  • Like 7

Hey,

ordered 60d timerties 6” from eBay. Their brand is Ace. I understood they are not bad for starters. Can u confirm? (Also read some threads here bout them)

75pcs for less than 50$ btw

386BFFBC-7D5C-44DC-87EA-A8128D27DC57.png

36D521DE-50AF-4638-90E7-8A363215A411.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AnaRhisT said:

Hey,

ordered 60d timerties 6” from eBay. Their brand is Ace. I understood they are not bad for starters. Can u confirm? (Also read some threads here bout them)

Timber ties ("spiral 60ds") are easier to bend than normal 60ds. Also, you got galvanized ones, which are, again, easier to bend than shiny ones. So yes, I think this is a perfect place to start. And if these happen to be too easy to bend in all styles (or in the style you're interested in), use less padding. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AnaRhisT said:

Hey,

yup those are great to start with. I could bend them and 60d galvs from the start. You should be able to bend them as well, the only person who couldn't bend them in suedes was one of my friends... Padding makes a difference though, my brother in law could in suedes but not with IMPs.   Have fun!

• Like 3

DU bending (leather singles)
Warmup:
- CRS 7mm x 7"
- SS 304 7mm x 7"

Main:
- CRS 5/16" x 7"
- CRS 9mm x 6mm rectangular x 7"
- CRS 21/64" x 7"
- Brass 10mm x 7" HEX 
- CRS 5/16" x 6"

All one hit, all above 40 degrees. 

Blob 40 - 18.7kg/41.2lb
- Both hands: 8x1 

20230204.JPG

• Like 7

Bought a CoC #3.5 a few days ago (one of the few gripper brands I can buy locally). It definitely feels heavier than my Standard adjustable set to RGC 175 (I closed these a few times between my legs, + chest crushed them to compare). So there is no point in MMS max efforting on it, at least not yet 🙂. If I don't count my Standard adjustables, these are the grippers to conquer (in order of difficulty):
1. Standard Cobalt RGC 165. I'm really close to this. I will MMS it within a month or two. 
2. The all-steel Japanese gripper. Definitely heavier than my Cobalt, but most certainly below the #3.5
3. CoC #3.5

A few months ago, I found a guy who rates grippers here, and his ratings are within 1-2lb of Cannon's. I can live with that (it would be too expensive to ship 8 grippers to the US). I have a GHP #8 to arrive, then I'll get all my unrated grippers rated. Btw the guy grips 120kg on the GM150 at the bodyweight of 64kg/140lb 🙃🙃, he is the Number #1 in his weight class on grippermania. 

ng.JPG

• Like 5