matek's training log

matek

What coincidence that the only 'good'  frame from your video your forearm looks absolutely JACKED! 😂 Nice bend, dude. That thing looks heavy!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, stranger said:

What coincidence that the only 'good'  frame from your video your forearm looks absolutely JACKED! 😂 Nice bend, dude. That thing looks heavy!

Haha you know it!😄 What a coincidence 😐

Thanks!👍

• Haha 2

I bought the original fat gripz (used, so the old version), because although the Qiban fat grip has an extremely good value, it has a huge gap when put on the bar. Can't wait to try next week with fat bar workout. 

fatgripz.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, matek said:

I bought the original fat gripz (used, so the old version), because although the Qiban fat grip has an extremely good value, it has a huge gap when put on the bar. Can't wait to try next week with fat bar workout. 

fatgripz.jpg

I laugh when I stop and think about the stuff we get excited about.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I laugh when I stop and think about the stuff we get excited about.

😄

Fortunately, my wife kinda understands (she did powerlifting for years). But she must not know how much an inch dumbbell costs because I want to buy one in the future. 

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, matek said:

fatgripz.jpg

I love my old blue fat gripz. They are a great conversation starter at the gym cuz people always want to know wtf they are. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Malice40 said:

I love my old blue fat gripz. They are a great conversation starter at the gym cuz people always want to know wtf they are. 

Right, I get strange looks every time I use a thick bar adapter because most of them use some kind of straps 😄

• Like 1

2022/07/30

DU bending (single IMP corduras)

- 5x Drill rod (SK95) 9/32" x 7" (7.1mm x 178mm)

Degrees: 78, 57, 65, 57, 43. So all above 40 and I didn't want to push them more to spare my right wrist. 

- 5x CRS (SS400) 9/32" x 6.5" (7.1mm x 165mm)

- 2x CRS (SS400) 9/32" x 6" (7.1mm x 152mm)

Ahhh it felt good bending CRS after the SK95. Degrees: 83, 86, 89, 83, 90, 75, 83. Btw these are "genuine" 9/32" bars, I have access to round CRS in both metric and imperial units (not all increments though). 

Pinkies decided to transform into little sausages 🤗

20220730_1.jpeg

20220730_2.jpeg

Edited by matek
  • Like 5

2022/07/31

Grippers

Grip was super tired after this week, so nothing high intensity, just some volume for fun. Relatively short rest periods.

- GD Iron 90, level 4, wide spread, without extension, handles touching (filed stoppers)

RH: 4x10, 1x9, 1x8, 1x7

LH: 3x10, 1x9, 1x8, 1x6, 1x6

Reps were little bit wider than 20mm, but not quite like a GHP block.

20220731.jpeg

Edited by matek
  • Like 6

2022/08/01

Bodyweight was 103.6kg/228.4lbs. I'm gaining weight, I hope it's not only fat 😅.

Push

OHP (in elbow sleeves)

- 1x10 65kg/143lbs

- 1x8 80kg/176lbs

- 1x5 85kg/187lbs

- 1x2 90kg/198lbs

- 1x2 92.5kg/204lbs

It's been months since I did overhead press, so I slowly worked my way up to a relatively heavy double. I did every set in elbow sleeves because when I did OHP twice per week (years ago) it helped me a lot with elbow issues.

Plate loading shoulder press machine, wide grip

- 5x14 100kg/220lbs

Had to put down the weight for a few secs after the 12th rep of the last set.  

Cable machine triceps pulldown

- 5x16 68kg/150lbs (full stack)

I don't really like this exercise but it gives a nice triceps pump. 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, mikhael said:

You probably know this, but if you have gained weight in short period of time, it's huge chance that it is water. 

Not that short period of time, but still, part of it can be water for sure. 👍

2022/08/02

Thick bar 

Fat Gripz Extreme (2.75") double overhand deadlifts

- 5x3 90kg/198lbs

This was kinda hard for 5 sets, but I'm glad I got all. 

Fat Gripz original (2.25") double overhand deadlifts

- 2x1 125kg/276lbs 

First time with the original FG. This wasn't easy, I couldn't fully control the weight down in the second set. The FGE got me tired for sure, but the original FG is much harder than the Qiban fat bar adapter I used before (for various reasons). 

3x3 115kg/254lbs

This was just about perfect at this point. 

Fat gripz original one-handed dumbbell lift (2.48" on the dumbbell)

- RH 10x1 56.7kg/125lbs

- LH 10x1 54.4kg/120lbs

The FG was obviously much more open than on the olympic bar, so I measured the circumference (and calculated the diameter). I was worried that I will have to come up with something to reach 2 3/8", but looks like it's over that with these dumbbells. 

Very clean reps, I controlled the weight on the way down as well (as far as I know this is not required for a legit inch dumbbell lift?). Besides the last set, as I progressed with the sets it got easier and easier (I think because my grip got tired from the deadlifts and needed to rest). So I could have gone heavier, but it's ok. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, matek said:

2022/08/02

Thick bar 

Fat Gripz Extreme (2.75") double overhand deadlifts

- 5x3 90kg/198lbs

This was kinda hard for 5 sets, but I'm glad I got all. 

Fat Gripz original (2.25") double overhand deadlifts

- 2x1 125kg/276lbs 

First time with the original FG. This wasn't easy, I couldn't fully control the weight down in the second set. The FGE got me tired for sure, but the original FG is much harder than the Qiban fat bar adapter I used before (for various reasons). 

3x3 115kg/254lbs

This was just about perfect at this point. 

Fat gripz original one-handed dumbbell lift (2.48" on the dumbbell)

- RH 10x1 56.7kg/125lbs

- LH 10x1 54.4kg/120lbs

The FG was obviously much more open than on the olympic bar, so I measured the circumference (and calculated the diameter). I was worried that I will have to come up with something to reach 2 3/8", but looks like it's over that with these dumbbells. 

Very clean reps, I controlled the weight on the way down as well (as far as I know this is not required for a legit inch dumbbell lift?). Besides the last set, as I progressed with the sets it got easier and easier (I think because my grip got tired from the deadlifts and needed to rest). So I could have gone heavier, but it's ok. 

its not a requirement, but its much more impressive. I just bought a loadable dumbbell  with 2 3/8 handle and i'm instructed to lift it even..  

I hope you can get an inch dumbbell soon.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

its not a requirement, but its much more impressive. I just bought a loadable dumbbell  with 2 3/8 handle and i'm instructed to lift it even..  

I hope you can get an inch dumbbell soon.

I wanted to ask, which one did you get? Since you got the Napalm's nightmare, I guess you bought the loadable dumbbell from armassassin as well. Did you get the offset one, or "normal"? Or maybe the revolving one?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, matek said:

I wanted to ask, which one did you get? Since you got the Napalm's nightmare, I guess you bought the loadable dumbbell from armassassin as well. Did you get the offset one, or "normal"? Or maybe the revolving one?

Yes the regular one. I asked again just to make sure. That is the one he wanted me to get to train for the inch. 

I've got a VERY important lesson I learned today regarding bending.... Don't buy drill rod while intoxicated... Came home expecting a box of 4 and a half foot pieces of of drill rod... I ordered 4.5 inches pieces.  I thought it seemed a little cheap and I thought that was an odd length.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@matek I have the loadable 2-3/8 from AASS, works really well just make sure you get t lock collars.( The ones that screw into the bar)

@Blacksmith513 I got drunk on Saturday, wanna guess what I bought? That's right, a slightly used GHP 10 rated 265! 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yes the regular one. I asked again just to make sure. That is the one he wanted me to get to train for the inch. 

I see, thank you! I might get one when I start focusing on the inch. 

1 minute ago, stranger said:

@matek I have the loadable 2-3/8 from AASS, works really well just make sure you get t lock collars.( The ones that screw into the bar)

Thanks! I was just thinking about the collars: you would have to get the collars super tight to stop the plates from rotating (as that would make the lift easier). 

12 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I've got a VERY important lesson I learned today regarding bending.... Don't buy drill rod while intoxicated... Came home expecting a box of 4 and a half foot pieces of of drill rod... I ordered 4.5 inches pieces.  I thought it seemed a little cheap and I thought that was an odd length.🤣

Duuude, good luck bending those 😂

4 minutes ago, stranger said:

I got drunk on Saturday, wanna guess what I bought? That's right, a slightly used GHP 10 rated 265! 😂

I guess you bought it for chest crushes, right? Right?😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2022/08/03

DU bending (doubles of cordura+ leather)

One hit day.

I've decided to swap my singles and doubles days (that's why I bent in singles twice last week). 

Shoulders were sore after Monday's OHP work, but overall not a bad workout. 

Warmup:

- Wrist Developer 2 (single suedes) with the Orange spring in DU position 20x (1-1), (2-2), (3-3), 10x (4-4)

- CRS (S45C) 7mm x 178mm (0.276" or ~9/32" x 7")

- CRS (SS400) 8mm x 170mm (~5/16" x 6.7")

It was a good idea to include a somewhat heavier bar in the warmup. I should remember this. 

Main:

- Drill rod (O-1) 7.9mm x 178mm (5/16" x 7") from ECGB (@devinhoo thanks again!)

- Drill rod (SK95) 7.9mm x 178mm (5.16" x 7")

I wanted to try out the O-1 rod before doing any cert. As I thought, the O-1 is overall a bit easier than the Japanese drill rod. Until ~15 degrees they feel the same, but then the SK95 can be such a pain in the butt... Anyways, I've recorded these two bends. Degrees: 64, 60

- 5x CRS (SS400) 8mm x 152mm (~5/16" x 6") Edit: These were 6" bars, not 7"

Some of them got pretty uneven but oh well. Degrees: 74, 77, 61, 57, 51

20220803.jpeg

Edited by matek
  • Like 7

2022/08/05

Forearms + DU bending (single IMP corduras)

I didn't want to do what I'm supposed to, so I did some forearms (ulnar and radial deviation, wrist curls), and one DU bend after warming up with the WD2: Horrido A2-70 stainless bolt at 5/16" x 7" in single IMPs. Managed to bend it to 45 degrees. Took about three minutes. I feel like my DU is stagnating for about a month now (both singles and doubles). Maybe because I started to do thick bar and go to the gym more often? Maybe I just need to be more patient. 

20220805.JPG

Edited by matek
  • Like 6

2022/08/06 

Grippers

GD Iron 90, level 5, wide spread, without extension, handles touching (filed stoppers)
- RH: 1.5" block set 3x1
No problem.
- LH: MMS 3x1
One miss because bad set.

Standard Titanium adjustable (filed), 19mm choked
- RH: set to RGC 157 5x1
- LH: set to RGC 150 5x1

RH wasn't feeling very good because of my wrist, but LH was surprisingly good. The difference between my hands in MMS is much bigger (not surprisingly). 

Still working with the filed handles because the regular ones are still out of stock 😪

20220806.jpg

Edited by matek
  • Like 6

2022/08/07

Had some fun with the Wrist Developer 2. I didn't do it last week because I wanted to spare my elbows. 

All sets were done in both hand positions, in single suedes. 

Orange spring:

- 20x (1-1), 20x (2-2), 20x (3-3)

- 10x (4-4)

CROM spring:

- 5x5 (1-1) Level 6

I really didn't want to overdo it so I chose Level 6. Because I can keep my front hand wrist in a completely neutral position while performing the reps, my right wrist was ok, no pain at all. It annoyed my left inner elbow a little bit, but not too bad. 

Such a nice little device. I'm glad I got into grip training this year, because if I were 5-7 years younger I would totally overdo it and give myself crippling tendonitis 😆

Edited by matek
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, matek said:

Such a nice little device. I'm glad I got into grip training this year, because if I were 5-7 years younger I would totally overdo it and give myself crippling tendonitis 😆

this 100%... I wish I did some things different training wise and wish I further ahead in some areas.. But now that i'm a little older, I do things much smarter..

yeah the WD is great.. I'm tempted to take the wraps off. I think unwrapped might condition your hands a little more.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

this 100%... I wish I did some things different training wise and wish I further ahead in some areas.. But now that i'm a little older, I do things much smarter..

I hear you 👍

27 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

yeah the WD is great.. I'm tempted to take the wraps off. I think unwrapped might condition your hands a little more.

I tried it before, I didn't like it personally. I want to condition my tendons and muscles involved in the movement, so suedes makes the most sense. I gain nothing from pushing through the thumb pain without wraps, just messes up my training routine (or I do it at a really suboptimal resistance/level that wouldn't make sense). Maybe better for bone conditioning though!

Edited by matek
  • Like 1

2022/08/08

Push

Bodyweight: 103.6kg/228lbs

Weighted pushups using pushup stands

- 10x16 with 20kg/44lbs

Had to put down my knees and regroup before the last two reps of the last set. Otherwise fine, I really enjoyed these pushup stands. 

Pushups using pushup stands

- 5x18

Last two sets were not easy above 12 reps, already tired. Breaks needed to be longer. 

Chests/shoulder crushes with adjustable armbar

- 5x12 at the widest position/highest resistance

Triceps pushdowns with bands

- 5x20

20220808.jpeg

Edited by matek
  • Like 6