matek's training log

matek

51 minutes ago, matek said:

I could not care less about the immediate pain sensation itself, it's irrelevant. The problem is what comes later: affecting my other goals and workouts. Maybe when I tried reverse I was doing too much grippers and that's why it caused troubles around my thumb mpc joint. I'm sure I'll do it again in the future though, and I'm looking forward to buy a WD2.

Just my opinion: probably there is a correlation because of general conditioning, but I don't think bench/close grip bench is a good indicator of elbow tendon strength.

In my case, some of the tendons in my elbows are super thick (gymnastics, rock climbing, years and years of weighted calisthenics) and can handle a lot, but still got tennis elbow-like symptoms from fat bar work haha 😄 

Was just joking around, of course reverse bending is a terrible practice if you don't like pain :D

I think elbow health is very important for all movements when you train your biceps and triceps, so for me it's an important indicator if I feel good at those exercises I usually don't get elbow problems.

7 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

I think elbow health is very important for all movements when you train your biceps and triceps, so for me it's an important indicator if I feel good at those exercises I usually don't get elbow problems.

I tend to agree with this when it comes to the "back" of the elbow, where the triceps tendon is. Of course, I had problems with that as well, when I was doing weighted dips with really big weights, and later when I was doing Smolov Jr (benching 4x/week) for a prolonged period. It's easy to get carried away when you're progressing super fast because of the muscle development and getting used to the movement (picture related). In general training, I consider myself to be experienced, but I still have to remind myself time-to-time to take it slow. 

436543.jpg

• Like 1

2022/05/14

Braced (short bar) and DU bending

CRS (SS400 ) 8mm x 200mm (0.315" x 7.87")

4x CRS (SS400 ) 9mm x 200mm (0.354" x 7.87")

Some of them went really off-center, not sure why.

CRS (S45C) hex 7mm x 180mm (0.276" x 7")

After doing a few 7mm bars (not on the picture), I tried DU bending this for 10 minutes (with breaks of course). All I achieved is 21 degrees and a very sore left wrist. Much harder than the A2-70 bolt I did a few days ago, this material in this shape is absolutely brutal. With my "normal" CRS with the same dimensions hex, I can do 10 in a row with small breaks, no problem. The kink until ~10 degrees is fine, but the sweep is super unforgiving. Anyways, finished it to 2" braced because I was mad at it. 

Btw I'm glad I did grippers yesterday, felt really good.

20220514.jpg

• Like 6

Grippers are cleaned and oiled.

Btw I filed down the stoppers on my GD Iron Grip 90, and now the handles touch on all levels.

cg.jpg

Edited by matek
  • Like 6

2022/05/15

Grippers

I hade to try out my GD 90 now, that the handles can touch...

GD Iron 90 Level 4 (wide spread, no extensions)
RH/LH 2x5

GD Iron 90 Level 5 (narrow spread, no extensions)
RH/LH 3x1
These singles were much harder now that the handles must touch. Big difference.

IM CoC#3 parallel choked (unrated)
RH 5x1, clean reps
LH 5x1, as far as I could, but no closes

• Like 5

2022/05/16

DU bending

Long workout, lot's of volume.

-20 mins isometrics to practice the kink

I'm bending for about 2 months now, and I noticed that the newbie gains started to slow down. I cannot rely on my power anymore, my wrists just cannot take it. That's the sad truth 😄. Hopefully the isos help! Btw isos are great because you're not disappointed that there is only a few degrees/nothing 😄

- 15x CRS 7mm x 6"/6.5"/7"

Some of them in singles, some in doubles, some with putting the wraps closer, etc. I also tried different DU strategies based on where I finish the bar: chest, below chest, stomach. 

- 5x high carbon drill rod 7mm x 7"

- 4x CRS hex 7mm x 7"

These are done in doubles. Not because it was necessary to complete it, but I needed to practice technique, that is quite different in doubles. 

Everything to ~90 degrees (except the iso of course). Didn't even put it aside to take a picture, just put them into my bending graveyard straight away. 

• Like 3

2022/05/17 Grippers

I'm alternating between grippers and bending for 5 days in a row now, so tomorrow will be just normal gym, no grip related stuff. 😄

- Standard adjustable Ti, Level 3, filed handle RGC 135

RH 7x1 MMS: only 2 full closes, but I really tried
LH 7x1 MMS: no closes as expected

To be honest, the super wide spread (it's the lowest setting of this adjustable) and the filed handle is just too much for me technically. You have to be really good at setting a gripper to nail this. The long set is energy consuming, and if there is a slight slip the handles won't close because you have to be in a really good position mechanically for the filed close. I think I will get a normal handle, and use the filed one when I'm stronger and can use higher levels with slightly narrower spread. The RGC diff should be ~5 lbs.

- Silarukov-1 adjustable replica, parallel choked, level 7-10
RH/LH: 4x1

These felt a little bit too easy for singles, so I switched to one setting higher.

- Silarukov-1 adjustable replica, parallel chocked, level 6-11
RH/LH: 6x1 barely missed two with my RH

Because of how the joint at the top behaves on this gripper, RH is actually harder.

- GD Iron 90 Level 4, handles touching, wide spread no extensions
RH/LH: 5x5 GHP block set

Finished with doing high reps on level 2 and 1.

20220517.jpg

Edited by matek
  • Like 8

2022/05/18

I did some lighter shoulders, then a hour of cardio.

I know I shouldn't be bending and give a rest to my hands/wrist (as I said yesterday 😄), but the cardio was so boring I had to do some DU bending. After warming up with a few 7mm x 6" and 7" CRS, I tried a Stainless (304) 8mm x 180mm (~5/16" x 7").

I only tried CRS, and the stainless A4 and A2 Horrido bolts for this dimensions. Maybe because I need a rest, but this was really hard. Felt way harder than the A2-70. I managed to bend it to only ~15 degrees in 5 mins, in double wraps of suedes + leathers. At this point I decided to do what had to be done to complete the bend DU: switched to double, thick leathers. I wouldn't consider this a legitimate bend, because I was using literally 2" thick, rigid wrapping (I've never done this before). But this POS had to be destroyed. I'm looking forward doing it in "normal" doubles, within a minute. 

20220518.jpg

Edited by matek
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, matek said:

2022/05/18

I did some lighter shoulders, then a hour of cardio.

I know I shouldn't be bending and give a rest to my hands/wrist (as I said yesterday 😄), but the cardio was so boring I had to do some DU bending. After warming up with a few 7mm x 6" and 7" CRS, I tried a Stainless (304) 8mm x 180mm (~5/16" x 7").

I only tried CRS, and the stainless A4 and A2 Horrido bolts for this dimensions. Maybe because I need a rest, but this was really hard. Felt way harder than the A2-70. I managed to bend it to only ~15 degrees in 5 mins, in double wraps of suedes + leathers. At this point I decided to do what had to be done to complete the bend DU: switched to double, thick leathers. I wouldn't consider this a legitimate bend, because I was using literally 2" thick, rigid wrapping (I've never done this before). But this POS had to be destroyed. I'm looking forward doing it in "normal" doubles, within a minute. 

20220518.jpg

5/16 stainless DU is a big bend, I don't care what wraps you use! 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, stranger said:

5/16 stainless DU is a big bend, I don't care what wraps you use! 

Thanks! The plan is to do it in "normal" suede + leather wraps within 5 mins. Then within a minute. 

• Like 1

Grippers

I removed the CPW choker mechanism from my Standard Iron. I improved a lot thanks to this modified gripper, but it's more useful for me now as a normal gripper.

- Standard Fe RGC 134
RH MMS 5x1: no problemo
LH MMS 5x1: as far as I can, but I actually closed 2 (setting went well on these two reps)

- GD Iron 90 Level 5, narrow spread, no extensions, handles touching
RH/LH 3x1
I didn't set the gripper narrower, used it as a wider choked gripper. These were hard at this point so I had to rest longer, but got it all.

- GD Iron 90 Level 4, wide spread, no extensions, handles touching
RH/LH 1.5" block set 3x4

- CPW x GG4 RGC 115
RH 1.5" block set 2x5
LH 1.5" block set 2x4

Braced bending (short bar, between legs)

- CRS 10mm x 230mm (0.394" x 9")
- CRS 9mm x 180mm (0.354" x 7")
- CRS HEX 8mm x 190mm (~5/16" x 7.5") 
- CRS SQUARE 7mm x 180mm (0.276" x 7")

Nothing really hard, but the 10mm bar was fun to kink. 

Wrist, forearms
Ulnar deviation, radial deviation 2x16
Pronation, supination 2x12
Wrist curls, reverse wrist curls 2x16

20220520_1.jpg

20220520_2.jpg

Edited by matek
  • Like 7

2022/05/21

DU bending

My palms were a little bit sore, but my wrists felt okay, so did a few heavier bends. Probably I could continue and do a few more bars, but my right hand around the knuckles started to really hurt so I stopped. 

Warmup:
CRS (SCM435) 7mm x 180mm (0.276" x 7")
CRS (SCM435) 7mm x 150mm (0.276" x 6")
2x CRS (S45C) 7mm x 180mm (0.276" x 7")

This medium carbon S45C batch is disappointing. I feel no difference between my normal CRS and this. 

Main:
CRS (SS400) 8mm x 180mm (5/16" x 7")
2x CRS (SS400) 8mm x 190mm (5/16" x 7.5")
3x CRS (SS400) 8mm x 180mm (5/16" x 7")

Every bend was done in ~10 seconds, to ~90 degrees in one hit except the first bend that took two hits. My first main bends are always the worst, it's like the first pancake of a batch. 

Wraps were 1.6" thick doubles of suede + leather.

Btw I ordered some FBBC stock from Andrew, because even if there is no official certification anymore, there are a few bars I want to complete. 

20220521.jpg

• Like 4

2022/05/24

Grippers

Although I've been focusing more on bending lately, I think I'm ready for the MM0 cert. 
I tried my brand new GHP Level 7 today, and clearly closed it for two singles MMS. In 1-2 weeks I will make a cert attempt, no reason to wait. 

RH: 2x1 GHP Level 7 MMS (unrated)
I really like the knurling on this gripper.
LH: 2x1 GD Iron 90 Level 5 MMS (wide spread, no extensions, handles touching) 

RH: 6x1 Standard Fe RGC 134 MMS
LH: 6x1 GD Iron 90 Level 5 MMS (wide spread, no extensions, handles touching)
Missed 3 barely with LH. 

RH: 5x1 IM CoC #3 parallel choked (unrated)
Even if I'm tired, this is no problem anymore.
LH: 5x1 IM CoC #3 parallel choked (unrated) as far as I can
I got really close with my left hand on a few reps.

DU bending (single corduras)

First time trying bending in cordura wraps, so I figured why not try some "conventional" DU bending in singles. I don't hate it, because I can see these are way more durable than suedes (obviously), but it's pretty slippery and needs a lot of chalk. So it's quite messy. Btw not IMPs, I just simply bought a big piece of 1050d cordura and cut the same size of wraps as the IMPs (actually a little bit smaller). 
As for the bending part, it was ok. The pressure on pinkies is obviously much bigger compared to thicker leathers or doubles, but because of this "limitation" my wrists didn't mind the bends at all. 

2x CRS (S45C) 7mm x 180mm (0.276" x 7")
3x CRS (SS400) 7.1mm x 180mm (0.279" x 7")

I finished these to sub 2" all the way in DU position (but with crushing, of course), why not.

20220524_1.jpg

20220524_2.jpg

20220524_3.jpg

Edited by matek
  • Like 8

I failed the 7.4mm (0.291") x 7" high carbon drill rod (SK95) four times already. The sweep is incredibly hard on it considering its diameter. It's way harder than a 5/16" x 7" CRS. I would say the kink is similar to a 5/16" x 7" stainless, but the sweep is something different.

Today I gave it another go in doubles of cordura + leather. Actually my DU technique in doubles is very wrist dominant, and involves much less folding compared to my technique in singles. It went down to ~15 degrees with my usual technique, but after 5 mins I realized the sweep is not going to happen this way, so I went full modified DU and started to push the ends together with everything I got. Got it to ~20-25 degrees in 25 minutes, but it just didn't want to move anymore. It sprang back from every hit. But I had enough of this bar, and it this was not the day to quit. I rewrapped it into thick double leathers, and got it to ~70 degrees in an additional 20 minutes. It was absolutely brutal, I was drenched in sweat, and even burst some capillaries in my face. 

So basically 1. it's not a world class feat, but 2. it took waaay more than 5 mins, 3. from halfway I was using wraps I would consider "cheating" 😂. But it doesn't matter. Today I didn't give up on something really-really hard, and I want to remember this. 

20220525.jpg

• Like 5

Grippers:

RH: 4x1 GHP Level 7 (unrated) MMS
Missed one with a clumsy set.
LH: 4x1 Standard Fe RGC 134 MMS
Closed only one, but that's not that bad with LH. 

RH/LH: 7x1 Silarukov-1 adjustable replica, 23mm chocked (little bit over parallel), level 5-12
Missed 3 with RH, one with LH.

RH: 3x2 IM CoC#3 (unrated) parallel choked 
LH: 3x1 IM CoC#3 (unrated) parallel choked 

Barely missed two with LH, RH easy. 

Wrists:
3x12 ulnar deviation
3x12 radial deviation
3x12 supination
3x12 pronation

• Like 5

2022/05/29

Supposed to be DU bending today, but my wrists need more recovery so I decided to do high rep wrist and forearm exercises. Big variety of exercises, all super high volume. I felt like my forearms will blow up haha 😅

ulnar deviation

radial deviation

fat grip ulnar deviation

pronation load on wrist

pronation load on thumb

supination

wrist curls

reverse wrist curls

fat grip wrist curls

fat grip reverse wrist curls

B786D1D3-813A-471D-99E0-DDC4FD1212E0.jpeg

Edited by matek
  • Like 8

2022/05/30

Grippers

CPW Standard Fe RGC 134, 1.5"/38mm (GHP) block set 
RH: 3x1
Missed one.
LH: 3x1 as far as it goes
Almost closed one where the setting went really well. 

IM CoC#3 (unrated), choked to 1.5"/38mm (GHP) block 
RH: 4x1
Missed 2... this was hard. I have to get used to block sets.
LH: 4x1 as far as it goes
Little beyond parallel.

U-shaped 1.2"/30mm parallel adjustable gripper RGC ~137
RH: 6x2
For this, I already needed to rest more between the sets. It was more like sets of two consecutive singles, because I repositioned the gripper between the reps. I missed the first rep of the last set. 
LH: 6x1
Barely missed two. 

GD Iron 90, level 5, narrow spread, pinkies are in the middle of the extension, handles touching
RH: 5x4
Last reps were hard, missed the last one. 
LH: 5x3
No problem. 

20220530.jpg

Edited by matek
  • Like 7

2022/05/31

Thick bar, wrists

At the end of last year, I started training with fat grips and I liked it so much I got elbow problems from it. I did all kinds of recovery, eliminated fat bar work, but only stopping all kinds of pulling movements for about a month healed in completely. I used a cheap fat grip and a frat gripz extreme for pulling movements but this time I'll only use it for deadlifts, and only once per week. Btw I think I never deadlifted before using these.

I actually started with beltless squats:

5x5 150kg/331lb, taking breath only before the first and fourth rep, relative short rest periods

Fat Gripz Extreme double overhand deadlift (after warmup):

5x1 90kg/198lb

No problem, but I didn't want to push it for the first time.

5x3 85kg/187lb

I regripped every rep.

Fat Gripz Extreme thumbless double overhand deadlift:

3x5 70kg/154lb 

No regripping, this was relatively easy. 

Wrist deadlifts with kettlebell

3x3 32kg/71lb

I tried this movement once a few months ago, but I want to do it every week from now, because it's super good. Thanks @Kluv#0! I think I'm better at this with my RH not because I'm stronger there but because I'm right handed (so I don't have to balance it that much). 

3x12 24kg/53lb

Practicing keeping the balance... 

Unrelated to today's training, but a few days ago I made a certification attempt for the Mash Monster Level 0, using my new GHP #7. I got one white and two reds from the judges. So it was a fail, because I set the gripper too deep for a MMS/parallel set. Regardless of the outcome, big thanks for the judges for their time. Here is the attempt:

Actually, this was my third single in a row with the gripper (log is 05/28). Maybe I will try it again in the future! I know some of you sometimes reading my log want to certify as well so just an advice: make sure that it's clear from the camera angle that the set is parallel. So something like this won't pass:

IMG_2035.PNG

Edited by matek
  • Like 8

Strong as always and very nice work with the KB wrist deadlift! MMO will happen in days and this time next year you will be closing that for 5 plus reps!

• Like 2

That set wasn't too deep, the judges were blind.

However doesn't look like it was closed completely. You'll make it next time tho.

1 hour ago, mikhael said:

Have you tried to Pull-up on Rings? 

Huhh, very long time ago! When I was doing gymnastics as a teenager. 

38 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Strong as always and very nice work with the KB wrist deadlift! MMO will happen in days and this time next year you will be closing that for 5 plus reps!

Thank you, I really like the movement! Sure, I want to MMS close a GHP 8 this year!

33 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

That set wasn't too deep, the judges were blind.

However doesn't look like it was closed completely. You'll make it next time tho.

Thank you, will try to move towards the camera better (and make more detailed instructions to wife 😅).

The gripper was closed, this is the only thing I'm sure of. Probably shaking too much...

436545.jpg

• Like 3

Hard to see on GHP's sometimes, think that's the only bad thing about them.

Some grippers doesn't look closed when they actually are closed either. Like on that picture for example, some grippers would not be closed looking like the still pic you posted. But you only know for sure if you can feel the handles touch each other or not.

• Like 1

2022/06/01 

DU bending (doubles of cordura and leather, 1.63")

I decided to do two DU bending sessions per week: one with double wraps, one with single wraps. 

Warmup:
- CRS (S45C) 0.276" x 7" (7mm x 180mm)
- 2x CRS (SS400) 9/32" x 7" (7.1mm x 180mm)

Main:

- CRS (SS400) 5/16" x 7.5" (8mm x 190mm)
- CRS (SS400) 21/64" x 7" (8.3mm x 180mm) 

PR! Took two hits because I almost passed out after the first hit and I had to get my ... together (see video 😂). This is the bottom bar on the picture. 
- 2x CRS (SS400) 5/16" x 7" (8mm x 180mm)

Isometrics: 

- 20 mins of iso practicing the kink 
Finishing with this was kinda brutal on the wrists, but in a good meaning. Nice workout. 

20220601.jpg

Edited by matek
  • Like 6

2022/06/02

Light grippers, forearms

Left wrist is kinda trashed from yesterday's DU bending session, and to be honest CNS also needs some rest, so nothing hard today. 

CPW x GG4 RGC 115 MMS
RH: 3x12
LH: 3x9

GD Iron 90, Level 4, narrow spread (1.7"), no extensions, handles touching, no set
RH/LH: 7x6

3x36 ulnar deviation 

3x16 radial deviation

3x16 wrist curls

3x36 extensors

Edited by matek
  • Like 5