matek's training log

matek

13 minutes ago, matek said:

Zero fat bar work for like 3 months now because of elbow tendonitis, and I only tried pinching 2-3 times because of the elbow + thumb pain. It was slowly healing up, but the consistent gripper work + heavy pulling sessions at the gym slowed down the process a lot. Since DU bending doesn't really bother my elbows, I've been doing that a lot recently and I had a lot of newbie gains. 

Not much griper work either in the past month, only a few times. This definitely sets me back, but feels like my elbow is in ~90% condition and I'm really happy about this. That weird thumb pain around the MPC joint is also gone, although I injured my right thumb recently (not training related) and to be honest it's quite uncomfortable when crushing. 

From next week, I'm doing grippers consistently again, and maybe... maybe I can do pinching or fat bar work once per week. 

Good luck, tendonitis sucks.. Had it bad in both elbows and hands years ago and then again when I started bending. 

My elbow is acting up  a little again, but I think thats from a bending injury.  Also had some weird thumb pain in both thumbs years back..All the issues with my hands is what got me into this sport.

Sleeping with compression gloves helped clear that up plus some home rehab.   Set backs suck, but you'll get through it. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Good luck, tendonitis sucks.. Had it bad in both elbows and hands years ago and then again when I started bending. 

My elbow is acting up  a little again, but I think thats from a bending injury.  Also had some weird thumb pain in both thumbs years back..All the issues with my hands is what got me into this sport.

Sleeping with compression gloves helped clear that up plus some home rehab.   Set backs suck, but you'll get through it. 

Thanks! We'll see how it goes from next week. 

What type of bending were you doing? Most of the people mainly do double overhand, and it is super taxing on the elbows, even if you have a healthy one. I've tried double overhand once, expecting that my shoulder mobility will be the biggest issue, but actually the problem was my over-abused elbows. With double underhand (what I'm doing in all my recent logs) I have no problems with elbows.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, matek said:

Thanks! We'll see how it goes from next week. 

What type of bending were you doing? Most of the people mainly do double overhand, and it is super taxing on the elbows, even if you have a healthy one. I've tried double overhand once, expecting that my shoulder mobility will be the biggest issue, but actually the problem was my over-abused elbows. With double underhand (what I'm doing in all my recent logs) I have no problems with elbows.

Just reverse bending once in while with 60d's and 60d spirals... But right now I've been on a kick with the Wrist Developer and Horseshoe Bender...  So I have only been bending every couple weeks to check my progress.  I think I've done double overhand once or twice..  I feel like an idiot but I don't remember.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Just reverse bending once in while with 60d's and 60d spirals... But right now I've been on a kick with the Wrist Developer and Horseshoe Bender...  So I have only been bending every couple weeks to check my progress.  I think I've done double overhand once or twice..  I feel like an idiot but I don't remember.  

I can imagine reverse can be hard on the elbow of the front hand... I tried it a few times, and for me the pressure on the thumb was worse (nothing that wouldn't heal in a few days, but still). 

I'm trying to order a WD2 for about a month now, but Elizabeth told me they're experiencing some troubles with suppliers/delivery. But hopefully within a month I'll have it. 

Edited by matek

4 hours ago, matek said:

I can imagine reverse can be hard on the elbow of the front hand... I tried it a few times, and for me the pressure on the thumb was worse (nothing that wouldn't heal in a few days, but still). 

I'm trying to order a WD2 for about a month now, but Elizabeth told me they're experiencing some troubles with suppliers/delivery. But hopefully within a month I'll have it. 

That sucks, they where having same issue around xmas.  I got their last or 2nd to last Vulcan.... They where expecting more in February but they still haven't. The WD2 is my favorite device. it really works the wrist, and biceps, and my core... It doesn't beat bending, but its nice to be able to to strengthen the muscles needed to bend without bending. 

You are real strong. I think you should get both the orange and crom spring. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

That sucks, they where having same issue around xmas.  I got their last or 2nd to last Vulcan.... They where expecting more in February but they still haven't. The WD2 is my favorite device. it really works the wrist, and biceps, and my core... It doesn't beat bending, but its nice to be able to to strengthen the muscles needed to bend without bending. 

You are real strong. I think you should get both the orange and crom spring. 

Thanks! Yes, one spring of each type is the plan. 

The WD2 looks exactly like what I need. I think I will enjoy using it a lot. I know it's for reverse only, but probably no harm in using it for DU warmup. This would save me money and time. I did a ton of sports in my life, but never encountered an activity which needs this much warmup. My performance is incomparable if I warm up properly vs. just jumping into it. I literally perform better if I'm bending for like 20 mins before the bigger bends. Can be individual, of course. 

But anyway, can't wait to use the wrist developer for all kinds of wrist stuff. 

Edited by matek
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, matek said:

Thanks! Yes, one spring of each type is the plan. 

The WD2 looks exactly like what I need. I think I will enjoy using it a lot. I know it's for reverse only, but probably no harm in using it for DU warmup. This would save me money and time. I did a ton of sports in my life, but never encountered an activity which needs this much warmup. My performance is incomparable if I warm up properly vs. just jumping into it. I literally perform better if I'm bending for like 20 mins before the bigger bends. Can be individual, of course. 

But anyway, can't wait to use the wrist developer for all kinds of wrist stuff. 

I agree, it's the same for me. It's super annoying having to warmup that much. Yesterday I did some reverse bending. Bent the same bolts for the entire workout. I think it took me like 5-6 bolts before I felt ready.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

I agree, it's the same for me. It's super annoying having to warmup that much.

Yes. The pile of 7mm/7.1mm CRS next to me also agrees. 

Btw I plan to give the steel I bent to a small blacksmith company who makes really high quality blobs, and ask them to make a blob for me from it. 

Edited by matek
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, matek said:

Btw I plan to give the steel I bent to a small blacksmith company who makes really high quality blobs, and ask them to make a blob for me from it. 

Wow that’s really cool. Is that blacksmith company on Facebook by any chance do I an check them out?

I have aspirations to somehow combine blacksmithing with old time strongman… even if it’s just performing shows some day. Maybe making horse shoes and then bending them for an audience. 

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, matek said:

That's a cool idea. Especially if you like to train wide pinch and are good at it. Otherwise it's not such a good idea, it will make you a very frustrated and angry man :D

I have all the steel I've bent in buckets and I do rows and curls with them :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Wow that’s really cool. Is that blacksmith company on Facebook by any chance do I an check them out?

I have aspirations to somehow combine blacksmithing with old time strongman… even if it’s just performing shows some day. Maybe making horse shoes and then bending them for an audience. 

This is their site, it's a family business for 3 generations now (only 10 people work there as far as I know): http://ito-gen.jp/. For sports equipment, they mainly make kettlebells, but they make blobs and even inch dumbbells as well. 

That's a very cool idea! I'm sure people would love it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

That's a cool idea. Especially if you like to train wide pinch and are good at it. Otherwise it's not such a good idea, it will make you a very frustrated and angry man :D

I have all the steel I've bent in buckets and I do rows and curls with them :D

I don't have much experience with pinching, we'll see 😄

Yea that works as well! If that company cannot make me my custom steel-blob, I'll probably do something similar..

Edited by matek
  • Like 1

2022/05/08

BW was 99.6kg (219.6lbs). Too much beer and fatty meats lately, have to be careful if I want to stay below 100kg. 

Pushups (weighted)
12x30 with 20kg (44.1lbs) weight vest 
3x30 with 17kg (37.5lbs) weight vest 

I used wrist wraps because my right wrist below the thumb hurts. I injured it not long ago (not during training). I reduced the weight for the last 3 sets because I wanted to keep the rep count without breaking up sets. Even like this, the last set was really hard.

Chest crush (with almost straight arms)
10x16  using the max setting on my crusher

Braced bending (short steel between thighs)
3x CRS (SS400 - low carbon) 8.3mm x 180mm (0.327" x 7")
2x spike 8.7mm x 205mm (0.342" x 8.1")

Not sure of the material, probably non-hardened CrMo though. On paper it was 9mm, but the only real 9mm spot was where the head and shaft meets. 
CRS (S45C - medium carbon) square 7mm x 7mm x 180mm (0.276" x 0.276" x 7")

Wrists
5x16 supination both hands
5x16 pronation both hands
5x16 radial deviation both hands

Mainly for recovery, nothing heavy.

• Like 4

Beer and fatty food... My downfall.  Best thing I did was stop drinking like I did.  I got to the point where if I took a night off from drinking, my grandma would get concerned I was sick.. 🤣 

Now I have to stop at 1 or 2 and only once a week tops, because those bottles have a way of multiplying like rabbits.

I smoke a little weed now, which I never did and was sorta against up until 6 months ago but I've found it actually has helped with a few things, on top of making everything more fun.  Great for recovery. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Beer and fatty food... My downfall.  Best thing I did was stop drinking like I did.  I got to the point where if I took a night off from drinking, my grandma would get concerned I was sick.. 🤣 

Now I have to stop at 1 or 2 and only once a week tops, because those bottles have a way of multiplying like rabbits.

I smoke a little weed now, which I never did and was sorta against up until 6 months ago but I've found it actually has helped with a few things, on top of making everything more fun.  Great for recovery. 

Good for you for stopping and finding an alternative! Fortunately, I don't have problems with it, it was a national holiday for almost a week and I "relaxed" more than I normally do, that's it. Nothing crazy 😄

Just now, matek said:

Good for you for stopping and finding an alternative! Fortunately, I don't have problems with it, it was a national holiday for almost a week and I "relaxed" more than I normally do, that's it. Nothing crazy 😄

Thanks.. Don't get me wrong.  I'm not an alcoholic, I didn't/don't have a problem other than, I get up real early to work out and I wish I knew how much better I perform with no beer years ago.  Summer is coming, i'll enjoy a few cold ones here and there but that is it.   After work, just a tiny bit of weed, a walk and some stretching is what I like now.

to keep on topic with your training. Whats this chest crush thing you speak of? Do you have a Chest Krusher too?

• Like 2

Thanks.. Don't get me wrong.  I'm not an alcoholic, I didn't/don't have a problem other than, I get up real early to work out and I wish I knew how much better I perform with no beer years ago.  Summer is coming, i'll enjoy a few cold ones here and there but that is it.   After work, just a tiny bit of weed, a walk and some stretching is what I like now.

to keep on topic with your training. Whats this chest crush thing you speak of? Do you have a Chest Krusher too?

I see. True, getting up real early is hard enough as it is..

I took a picture of the device I have. You can adjust the spread, and at the widest it's actually not that easy. That being said, it's not optimal for me, and the chest krusher would be the best choice. But I find it to be too expensive for "just" chest crushing, especially considering the shipping and customs. I know I would love it, but to think how much steel I can buy for that money...

cr.jpg

Edited by matek
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, matek said:

I see. True, getting up real early is hard enough as it is..

I took a picture of the device I have. You can adjust the spread, and at the widest it's actually not that easy. That being said, it's not optimal for me, and the chest krusher would be the best choice. But I find it to be too expensive for "just" chest crushing, especially considering the shipping and customs. I know I would love it, but to think how much steel I can buy for that money...

cr.jpg

That thing is cool. As with a lot of exercise stuff. The Chest Krusher is very expensive. I'm still glad I bought it. Its added some mass to my body.  When i buy the farm, i'm confident someones gonna have a lot of fun with my equipment.

The great thing about  Crush devices like mine and yours, is it fights you to shut it, and you got to fight it so it doens't spring back open.. Nothing beats bending steel, but its taught me to keep constant tension and to really focus.  I hurt my left arm when it sprung back open once...  

That thing is cool. As with a lot of exercise stuff. The Chest Krusher is very expensive. I'm still glad I bought it. Its added some mass to my body.  When i buy the farm, i'm confident someones gonna have a lot of fun with my equipment.

The great thing about  Crush devices like mine and yours, is it fights you to shut it, and you got to fight it so it doens't spring back open.. Nothing beats bending steel, but its taught me to keep constant tension and to really focus.  I hurt my left arm when it sprung back open once...  

I agree, I also noticed the gains, especially in my upper chest. Honestly, when it comes to upper chest mass, it's better than incline bench. I just wish there was a harder one that's not that expensive as the krusher, because it would be fun to do it for strength, and not just for muscle mass.

Edited by matek
  • Like 2

2022/05/11
I didn't train any grip related stuff for a few days, and today I made a Double Underhand certification attempt for the Horrido A2 bolt (never tried it before). Here is the bend itself:

The first hit was a little bit clumsy, but got it ~90 degrees on my second hit (for people not familiar with bending, in this style the requirement is 40 degrees). In total it was ~14 secs. If somebody is interested in the full cert attempt video, here it is. I'm really glad that the attempt was accepted!

The full workout:
2x CRS (SS400 - low carbon) 7mm x 180mm (0.276" x 7")
CRS (S45C - medium carbon) 7mm x 180mm (0.276" x 7")

Basically warmup. But a note to myself: this is not enough.

Horrido A2-70 bolt: stainless (303) 8mm x 180mm (5/16" or 0.315" x 7")
Despite the questionable first hit, it wasn't particularly hard, so I continued bending hex bars. I felt really warmed up after this.

6x CRS (SS400 - low carbon) hex 7mm x 180mm (0.276" x 7")
1-2 hits to ~90 degrees.

Good workout. Everything was done in doubles of suede + leather.

20220511_1.jpg

20220511_2.jpg

• Like 6

Smoked that A2! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stranger said:

Smoked that A2! 

Thank you! Next bending cert goals are the Moose bar from BSC (if it will be back in stock) and the 5/16 drill rod from ECGB.

Edited by matek
  • Like 1

2022/05/13

Grippers

My right hand still didn't recover from that small injury, so I had to warmup a lot. Also, since I didn't do much grippers recently, I didn't attempt anything really hard (and low rep).

- Lot of reps with the GD Iron 90 at levels 1,2,3,4 - narrow set, without the extensions
Proper warmup!

- CPW x GG4 @RGC 115
RH/LH 2x5 GHP block set

- Standard Iron parallel choked @RGC 134
RH 3x5, LH 3x3

- U-shaped parallel adjustable gripper set to @RGC 128
RH 6x5, LH 6x4
No problem, probably should have done 6 and 5 reps. But I think my gripper is more like RGC ~125 at this setting. This is the lowest setting on this gripper.

- GD Iron 90 Level 5 - narrow set, with extensions
RH 6x3 pinky on the extension line 
LH 6x3 pinky on the extension line (maybe a little bit lower than RH)

Because I used the narrow setting, I didn't set it with my other hand, so it felt just hard enough. Btw, I should clean and oil all my grippers...

Not training, but I got a new toy: GHP Level 7 with a GHP block (I want to do GHP certs in the future). This will be the gripper I will close for the MM0 cert when I'm ready (the CoC#3 I have was in a choker for about a month, and I plan to put it back). I didn't try closing it yet, just tried out how the handles feel. I really like it, the knurling is much better than on a CoC. 

Braced bending (mid-long flat bar)

I ordered these bars with some CRS for DU bending. I didn't get more because I'm trying to figure out what would be good dimensions for me to do flat bar. I kinked them on my knee (using a towel), then finished them between my thighs.

- HRS 9mm x 19mm x 500mm (0.354" x 0.748" x 19.69")
Too easy, might be good if shorter.

- HRS 9mm x 25mm x 500mm (0.354" x 0.984" x 19.69")
This was harder to kink, but within one minute in total. I need shorter or thicker. Glad I didn't order more.

Wrists

- 5x12 supination with bands
- 5x12 radial deviation with bands

20220513_1.jpeg

20220513_2.jpeg

20220513_3.jpeg

20220513_4.jpeg

Edited by matek
  • Like 5

On 5/6/2022 at 5:49 AM, matek said:

What do you mean. The pressure on the thumb webbing is what makes reverse bending so much fun. I'm always looking forward to reverse bending sessions just to feel this awesome pain in my thumb :D 

Elbow pain comes later once you get to harder bars. I started to get it at around level 12 on the wrist developer. I could close grip bench around 120 kg at that time but it didn't help. I guess you need to be even stronger to avoid elbow pain.

20 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

What do you mean. The pressure on the thumb webbing is what makes reverse bending so much fun. I'm always looking forward to reverse bending sessions just to feel this awesome pain in my thumb :D 

Elbow pain comes later once you get to harder bars. I started to get it at around level 12 on the wrist developer. I could close grip bench around 120 kg at that time but it didn't help. I guess you need to be even stronger to avoid elbow pain.

I could not care less about the immediate pain sensation itself, it's irrelevant. The problem is what comes later: affecting my other goals and workouts. Maybe when I tried reverse I was doing too much grippers and that's why it caused troubles around my thumb mpc joint. I'm sure I'll do it again in the future though, and I'm looking forward to buy a WD2.

Just my opinion: probably there is a correlation because of general conditioning, but I don't think bench/close grip bench is a good indicator of elbow tendon strength.

In my case, some of the tendons in my elbows are super thick (gymnastics, rock climbing, years and years of weighted calisthenics) and can handle a lot, but still got tennis elbow-like symptoms from fat bar work haha 😄