Ironmind bending certs

John McCarter

1 minute ago, Lennix said:

But that will make the gold nail impossible which by the looks of it, is what they want.

Maybe. I’ve wondered about that with the #4 cert and that nobody has even attempted (I don’t think) in 18 years. There is something to “build it and they will come” but I wonder if they were really going for “they will come once in a generation, maybe.” 

I know Holle could possibly do it now. Carl seems really close. Ivan is doing impressively wide stuff. Shamey has the horsepower but I’m not sure how much he goes for the credit card—I vaguely remember someone saying the wide stuff is not his fav. 

Just some thoughts. Would love to see Carl get the green light. The gripper vids I’ve seen from him are patient and purposeful, it’s hard to imagine them not passing muster for “don’t rush the swipe.” 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Maybe. I’ve wondered about that with the #4 cert and that nobody has even attempted (I don’t think) in 18 years. There is something to “build it and they will come” but I wonder if they were really going for “they will come once in a generation, maybe.” 

I know Holle could possibly do it now. Carl seems really close. Ivan is doing impressively wide stuff. Shamey has the horsepower but I’m not sure how much he goes for the credit card—I vaguely remember someone saying the wide stuff is not his fav. 

Just some thoughts. Would love to see Carl get the green light. The gripper vids I’ve seen from him are patient and purposeful, it’s hard to imagine them not passing muster for “don’t rush the swipe.” 

There's a romanian guy, Ioan Cristian Puscasu, he has tried the #4 cert twice with CCS and he was really close both times.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

There's a romanian guy, Ioan Cristian Puscasu, he has tried the #4 cert twice with CCS and he was really close both times.

Thanks, I remember him but couldn’t recall if he got official attempts. 

I wonder why Randall is okay with anyone wanting to cert #4 but moves the goal post when people got close to gold nail. 

Does he just not want the gold to ever be done?

1 hour ago, bruce1337 said:

I got a vague reply from Randall implying that bending with seasoned wraps DO is akin to geared powerlifting.

This is interesting and the opposite of my experience.  I cannot stand old, chalked-up wraps and have traditionally kept a rotation of new/near-new wraps going.  If the wraps start to show wear, I'll cut them in half and use them as minimal wrap pads or 1.5x IMP wraps.  

• Like 1

In all honesty. Ironmind pads ”season” pretty quick. Do they expect is to buy a new pair of Ironmind wraps after a few weeks? And will they no longer allow chalk?

And regarding the use of “mechanical aid” for wrapping. I’ve always just sat on my ass on the floor and used my foot as a mechanical aid. I assure you, my foot works just the same as using a clamp to hold the wraps. Believe me I’ve experimented plenty with both. Using my foot is just less of a hassle in that regard. So if Ironmind wants to rule against using “mechanical aid” for wrapping they’ll achieve nothing. People will just start using their feet instead. I’ll be quick to post foot wrapping tutorials XD.

I fear that Ironmind will have to write a very lengthy set of rules if they wish to fulfill the sentiments of the comments in their news update.

I’ve been bending steel for 15 years. Most of that has been spent at or near the top. I’ve got more experience than most. IMO the rules are fine the way they were.

If Derek bent the gold in ironmind wraps, no rubber bands, in under one minute and in accordance to the old rules, then he’s a gold nail certified in my eyes.

If you’re a noob who just wished to impose your own inexperienced opinions on how others should steel bending, please don’t. No one on the current list certed by bending a red in accordance to the sentiments of that news update.

• Like 4

A general reminder that IronMind set up an email to solicit feedback. If you have a message you hope they see, just email them. Link already posted earlier in the thread.  

• Like 1

It's weird how crazy they are over the bending and gripper certs yet they let a women break the hub WR without weighing her lift and outside of a contest. They amended the rules after as they say it wasn't in the rules to weight the lift but that's just insane to me that they let that fly but wanna make bending the red or gold harder/ impossible. 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CX11xDloZjo/?utm_medium=copy_link

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stranger said:

It's weird how crazy they are over the bending and gripper certs yet they let a women break the hub WR without weighing her lift and outside of a contest. They amended the rules after as they say it wasn't in the rules to weight the lift but that's just insane to me that they let that fly but wanna make bending the red or gold harder/ impossible. 

Yeah that WR shook the grip community. Everyone was confused at how they allowed it to be submitted as a record attempt. Unfair to those who trained and did their records in comps with witnesses and calibrated weights.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

A general reminder that IronMind set up an email to solicit feedback. If you have a message you hope they see, just email them. Link already posted earlier in the thread.  

What’s best for the steel bending community might not be the same as what Ironmind thinks is best for them.

They were provided all information they needed in 2011 by myself, Carl Donati and others that were active at the time. If they can’t follow it then they obviously have another agenda.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, David_wigren said:

What’s best for the steel bending community might not be the same as what Ironmind thinks is best for them.

They were provided all information they needed in 2011 by myself, Carl Donati and others that were active at the time. If they can’t follow it then they obviously have another agenda.

One can only hope that if enough people from the steel bending community reach out we can b̶u̶l̶l̶y̶ persuade Randall to see reason.

AddText_02-25-07.35.46.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

As far as Im concerned Iromind is totally out of touch with the community. There are better standards of bending strength created. FBBC, WOG, Horrido and few others. Red Nail isnt even a standard anymore because 6 minutes on Instagram and you'll see someone outta nowhere with 30 seconds of actual bending experience bend the red. People are just built different these days. Thom, Derek and GoldThorpe are destroying things left and right. Don bends as if he is an assembly line, David Horne is 498743 years old bending 10mm short stock. Ironmind. is. obsolete. I dont even care what they do. Much better opportunities by much better people to be had. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, BottledCitrus said:

As far as Im concerned Iromind is totally out of touch with the community. There are better standards of bending strength created. FBBC, WOG, Horrido and few others. Red Nail isnt even a standard anymore because 6 minutes on Instagram and you'll see someone outta nowhere with 30 seconds of actual bending experience bend the red. People are just built different these days. Thom, Derek and GoldThorpe are destroying things left and right. Don bends as if he is an assembly line, David Horne is 498743 years old bending 10mm short stock. Ironmind. is. obsolete. I dont even care what they do. Much better opportunities by much better people to be had. 

I'm quite sure David Horne is younger than that.

Who with 30 seconds experience has bent the red?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stranger said:

With Randall, you never know, what he knows…he may have legit video or more of that woman, but chose to show a video she sent in. Just to stir things up. Not saying that is the case, but wouldn’t surprise me.

7 hours ago, bruce1337 said:

One can only hope that if enough people from the steel bending community reach out we can b̶u̶l̶l̶y̶ persuade Randall to see reason.

AddText_02-25-07.35.46.jpg

I think he’s coming from the point that those pads were just so you didn’t get skin injuries. I don’t think he imagined people making egg rolls out of them and creating thicker longer levers. I think he just wants more of a lower arm test more than a shoulder and chest crush down. Don’t get me wrong…takes a lot of hand toughness to bear that load-and wrist, too. But its very eccentric type of strength for them…when tucked to or under the chin. I can’t believe anyone would put anything by their throat neck area with that kind of force where something bad can happen. I know there are risks with every strength endeavor, but seems too risky for my taste 🤕

3 hours ago, Allen Heineck said:

I'm quite sure David Horne is younger than that.

Who with 30 seconds experience has bent the red?

its an exaggeration dude. Meaning folk that havent been in the game as long Horne or Don are progressing to red extremely quick and Ive seen folk go from g8 to red and then from there. The whole point was to illustrate that Reds are no longer the staple they used to be

• Like 1

5 hours ago, slazbob said:

I think he’s coming from the point that those pads were just so you didn’t get skin injuries. I don’t think he imagined people making egg rolls out of them and creating thicker longer levers. I think he just wants more of a lower arm test more than a shoulder and chest crush down. Don’t get me wrong…takes a lot of hand toughness to bear that load-and wrist, too. But its very eccentric type of strength for them…when tucked to or under the chin. I can’t believe anyone would put anything by their throat neck area with that kind of force where something bad can happen. I know there are risks with every strength endeavor, but seems too risky for my taste 🤕

Stay out if the conversation please. It’s obvious that you don’t know much about this subject.

It’s dumb to pose your ideas on others when you yourself have very limited experience. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, David_wigren said:

Stay out if the conversation please. It’s obvious that you don’t know much about this subject.

It’s dumb to pose your ideas on others when you yourself have very limited experience. 

Also, though, anyone can have a seat at the table. Slazbob should submit his opinions to IronMind same as anyone else. 

Me being Switzerland 🇨🇭 over here. Let’s keep it friendly. 

DO bending is dangerous guys, please think about your hand health before attempting that style.

Screenshot_20220226-165528_DuckDuckGo.jpg

8 hours ago, David_wigren said:

Truth hurts….but you should have thicker skin…in fact, if you didn’t make your wraps so thick when you bent, it would be. But yes, you are a very strong boy…and iron mind just doesn’t get you. Damn them.

2 hours ago, Cannon said:

Also, though, anyone can have a seat at the table. Slazbob should submit his opinions to IronMind same as anyone else. 

Me being Switzerland 🇨🇭 over here. Let’s keep it friendly. 

Thanks, Matt. 
but the educated man is trying to insult my intelligence by calling me “dumb” which is stupid 🤤 I think he should stay out of this since he doesn’t know the difference between the two.

25 minutes ago, slazbob said:

Truth hurts….but you should have thicker skin…in fact, if you didn’t make your wraps so thick when you bent, it would be. But yes, you are a very strong boy…and iron mind just doesn’t get you. Damn them.

Wiggy has some of the thickest skin on the planet (literally and figuratively)  so I don't know where you're going with this joke.

Not to mention that his strict minimal pad bending strength is world class. And to top it off he literally wrote the rules for bending that Ironmind amended in 2011.

Randall is completely clueless when it comes to bending. Ironmind didn't even have rules for bending when they first had the cert list. People just bent however they wanted with whatever wraps, and I'm fairly certain some of those certs were done braced.

Edited by bruce1337
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

Wiggy has some of the thickest skin on the planet (literally and figuratively)  so I don't know where you're going with this joke.

Not to mention that his strict minimal pad bending strength is world class. And to top it off he literally wrote the rules for bending that Ironmind amended in 2011.

He felt compelled to comment to me, so maybe he just doesn’t have confidence in his accomplishments? If I’m so uneducated about the subject then he could ignore my comments. Ironmind probably needed someone who was active in this type of stuff to fill them in on the scene, but they know more now so they can make their own rules. Someone actually made rules for flag football so…