Ironmind bending certs

John McCarter

I wonder what the growing concerns are, if not just that double-overhand has long been the preference. Double-overhand does explicitly fit into the current rules including that your hands can contact the body above the waist. 

I'm not too plugged into bending though. Is there a concern unrelated to double-overhand technique? 

And it says this is in response to concerns; Who raised the concerns? 

This will be interesting to see what direction they head. Using the CoC list as an example, the roster will not likely be divided into before/after changes if any are made. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I wonder what the growing concerns are, if not just that double-overhand has long been the preference. Double-overhand does explicitly fit into the current rules including that your hands can contact the body above the waist. 

I'm not too plugged into bending though. Is there a concern unrelated to double-overhand technique? 

And it says this is in response to concerns; Who raised the concerns? 

This will be interesting to see what direction they head. Using the CoC list as an example, the roster will not likely be divided into before/after changes if any are made. 

I was thinking it had to do with videos being used for certification. 

But more on what you said, what concerns? Seriously? You get 1 minute to bend in crap pads with no rubber bands, what's could the issue be? 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, stranger said:

I was thinking it had to do with videos being used for certification. 

Yeah I hadn't thought of that.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Yeah I hadn't thought of that.

But even that doesn't make sense. They could just announce that they're changing it back. 

I emailed them ask what exactly the complaints were. 

If I were in charge I'd keep it the same but allow 1 rubber band per side. Also keep the video submission. But I'm just some guy in the internet. 

• Like 1

Wow, very strange. I wonder what the issue is. I hope it comes back soon as the “Red” is often the first big goal bend people go for.

• Like 5

Could be any number of things.

My initial thought is that it was because of the online certs and they are going to revert back to the original witnesses certifications. But then why only for bending? Why not also put a hold on gripper certs too if that was the case?

Next guess could be on technique and whether or not Double Overhand will be considered a legal technique. Again, they have allowed DO since its inception so it would be weird to disallow it all of a sudden after nearly 20 years of certs.

• Like 2

Perhaps they thought that the length is an issue and want to have a 7" cert instead (holding my thumbs) for the gold that is :D

Edited by Lennix
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Maybe they will add an inbetween nail like the did for grippers. Encourage people to climb the roster towards gold nail. 

Jump between red and gold is currently way too big.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

Maybe they will add an inbetween nail like the did for grippers. Encourage people to climb the roster towards gold nail. 

That's a great idea but why stop the certification process? This whole thing is weird. I emailed them, no answer yet. 

Back to the in-between bar, make it 11/32x8 and call it the Orange nail?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, stranger said:

That's a great idea but why stop the certification process? This whole thing is weird. I emailed them, no answer yet. 

Back to the in-between bar, make it 11/32x8 and call it the Orange nail?

11/32 x 8 or even 7.5" yeah sounds perfect. Something for benders to aspire to and keep chasing that cert. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

This was talked about years back ... the possibility of an in-between nail.  The discussion should be in the IM forum somewhere, and possibly here.  The reference was to the "Black Nail."  Unfortunately, nothing ever came of it.  I think then, was the best chance of something like that ever happening too, unfortunately.

• Like 7

Man, I really hope they don’t ruin the cert by changing the rules so that it’s no longer the same challenge. I’m hoping it’s just them removing the option to cert digitally without an unbiased witness.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

Straight up name dropping in that . Lol 

I just bent one of the new Reds in IMP's like 20 minutes ago to see if I could. 

Whomp whomp 

IMG_20220222_163334_593.jpg

• Like 3

Who is derrick?

Graybill? I'm questioning it because IM did not capitalize the name and Graybill's name is D-e-r-e-k as far as I know. 

• Like 3

What I don't get is why people even bother with this company anymore.

A lot of weak people on the red nail list now. How many DU or reversed their reds when they certed? I bet it wasn't too many.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

How many DU or reversed their reds when they certed?

Do you suspect that is the change they will make? DU or reverse only?

It sounds like the issue is with meticulous and boring leverage-gaining wrapping technique. 

Could the change be something as simple as shortening the allowed certification time and any nail wrapping is included in the time limit? 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Do you suspect that is the change they will make? DU or reverse only?

It sounds like the issue is with meticulous and boring leverage-gaining wrapping technique. 

Could the change be something as simple as shortening the allowed certification time and any nail wrapping is included in the time limit? 

What they are describing is bending using only wrist strength. The rules like they are now is perfectly fine. Bending a steel bar at waist level with a double overhand grip is just as hard or harder than reverse and DU.

It's a completely different feat. If they stick with this they are essentially doing the exact same thing as they did when they introduced the CCS rule for grippers.

I am not surprised at all, this was very expected. That's how it goes when people who haven't acomplished anything themself makes up the rules. You get crap rules. But if they actually make a seperate list this time I guess it's okay. One thing is for sure tho, we will not see many red certs anymore and we will never see anyone cert the gold.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, bruce1337 said:

11/32 x 8 or even 7.5" yeah sounds perfect. Something for benders to aspire to and keep chasing that cert. 

That's in part why I set up my bending certs with in-between sizes. Figured that 5/16"x7", 0.332" x 7.5", 11/32" x 8", and 3/8" x 9" was a smoother and more accessible progression for people.

IronMind started with a great idea, but I find it really weird the way they haven't taken critical feedback very well. More than "preserving the spirit" of bending it seems to push people away and leave a bad taste in the mouth.

Edited by devinhoo
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

That's in part why I set up my bending certs with in-between sizes. Figured that 5/16"x7", 0.332" x 7.5", 11/32" x 8", and 3/8" x 9" was a smoother and more accessible progression for people.

IronMind started with a great idea, but I find it really weird the way they haven't taken critical feedback very well. More than "preserving the spirit" of bending it seems to push people away and leave a bad taste in the mouth.

Exactly.

They wanna change their gripper and bending certs to make them more "legitimate" but won't change the rolling thunder to make it not suck? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

but I find it really weird the way they haven't taken critical feedback very well.

At least they are soliciting feedback in this case. Maybe that is a positive. Now is the chance for anyone to hit up that email with feedback. Speaking up about your wishes for the certification might be a way to effect change.

Not directed at you @devinhoo just piggybacking off your mention of feedback. :)  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Cannon said:

Who is derrick?

Graybill? I'm questioning it because IM did not capitalize the name and Graybill's name is D-e-r-e-k as far as I know. 

The rule change is solely because Derek was about to cert Gold Nail and RS hates him so much that he would rather ruin his entire cert list than acknowledge him.

Yes derrick refers to Derek Graybill. 

Edited by bruce1337
  • Like 5

So obviously Ironmind don't like the current style of DO bending and wrapping. They want new wraps not tampered with and perhaps remove DO as style (or well, do at waist level instead of under chin) Since I was closing in on the Gold nail in singles this is a tad boring. I'm hoping Ironmind doesn't kill the Gold completely but it definitly sounds like it. Bending the Gold might be possible in new wraps with only chalk but not with another style of bending. So I am holding my thumbs.

• Like 3