Wrist Developer Ranking

Fist of Fury

Let's go guys. Let's see if it's possible to max this thing out. A little bit of friendly competition is always fun.

RULES

• Use a genuine Wrist Developer from World of Grip. (You can use the first version as well, however, since it's not in production anymore and is not easily accessible, the levels will be counted equally. So you will be at a disadvantage using the first version since it's harder).
  • The WD should be gripped with a reverse grip, no other grip is allowed.
  • Only single wrapping, no double wrapping.
  • Pads can have a maximum size of 4x12 inches and must be of a flexible material like leather or cordura. If you're using branded pads like Ironmind, Horrido or GBI etc you don't have to measure them on video. If you're using your own pads or pads that is not easy to recognize you should measure them on camera after you have made your attempt. You don't need to show the wrapping process. Only the unwrapping process has to be shown after you have finished your attempt. Pads can become slightly larger with use, that's acceptable. As long as they are not intentionally made larger than 4x12 inches.
  • Any amount of reps you can do counts. The more reps you do at a certain level will move you up on the ranking. However a single rep at a higher level always beats any number of reps at a lower level.
  • If you're attemting to do multiple reps, the handles must be fully released to the starting position between each repetition. Switching hands is not allowed, every repetition has to be done the same way.
  • This ranking will be inclusive for people on all strength levels. The Orange and CROM spring sold by World of Grip will be the only springs you can use. CROM spring starts at Level 6 and moving the  spring up one notch increases the level by 1. Moving the spring up a notch on the stopper side increases the level by 2. Moving it up a notch on each side increases the level by 3.
  • No equipment is allowed, tapes, band aids of any kind, elbow sleeves, wrist supports etc is not allowed. 
  • Magnesium carbonate is allowed. Liquid chalk and any other form of grip aids like glue is not allowed.
  • No bracing of the hands, arms and elbows or any other body part.
  • The WD must remain above waist level throughout the attempt.
  • Upload the video with your attempt to a social media platform like YouTube or Instagram.
  • The video must be in HD, with sound and can not be edited. The spring and it's placement must be shown clearly. Remove the wraps after you're done and show them.
  • Time limit is 3 minutes. Also there will be seperate lists for people who wants to do high rep attempts, you will then be given 5 minute and 10 minute trials where you can try to do as many reps as you can. The time starts when you make your first hit and you must make your last hit before the time is up.
  • Post the video in this thread. If you want your real name on the list, let me know. Otherwise only your gripboard username will be displayed.
  • I will be the judge for now. If I feel that I need help judging I will ask for help.

And yes, springs vary in resistance, just like all types of steel does. But there's really nothing we can do about that. Remember, this is just for fun!

I hope to see you all make some attempts. Regardless of which level you're at. Good luck!

Also, please let me know if you have any suggestions or questions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David_wigren - Level 13 - 4 reps - 25 February 2022 -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4xwW4qpTpQ

• Like 6

Very cool competition. I like watching vids about the WD 1 & 2 version. I don't own one(yet lol) but I had a couple questions. Sorry if it high jacks the thread. 

I realize the WD is promotoed as being a great training tool for reverse style bending but is it an okay tool to use for DO and DU styles? Do many of you use it for these styles or strictly reverse style?

How much range of motion should somebody use for the lighter working sets? I ask because it looks like if you were to try to make the handles touch your fingers would get in the way. Would you just go until you felt a satisfactory rom kind of thing? And for heavy sets barely move the handles to sort of mimic a heavy iso?

Could this device have much carry over to Grip Sport and/or Armlifting? 

Sorry for the newb questions I don't know much about bending or this tool. Looks like a really neat way to work the wrists!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Very cool competition. I like watching vids about the WD 1 & 2 version. I don't own one(yet lol) but I had a couple questions. Sorry if it high jacks the thread. 

I realize the WD is promotoed as being a great training tool for reverse style bending but is it an okay tool to use for DO and DU styles? Do many of you use it for these styles or strictly reverse style?

How much range of motion should somebody use for the lighter working sets? I ask because it looks like if you were to try to make the handles touch your fingers would get in the way. Would you just go until you felt a satisfactory rom kind of thing? And for heavy sets barely move the handles to sort of mimic a heavy iso?

Sorry for the newb questions I don't know much about bending or this tool. Looks like a really neat way to work the wrists!

It's designed to work on so you build up your strength for reverse bending. It mimics the exact movement of reverse bending and the motion stops at 40 degrees. Which is considered a full bend when you do the reverse style bending.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

The wrist developer is great. I gave my self some tendon irritation from using is and bending too many 60ds, it still flairs up some days. But it’s an amazing tool for……wrist development. Seriously. I highly recommended it. I’m not an expert at grip training yet, but there’s nothing better for strong wrists in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

The wrist developer is great. I gave my self some tendon irritation from using is and bending too many 60ds, it still flairs up some days. But it’s an amazing tool for……wrist development. Seriously. I highly recommended it. I’m not an expert at grip training yet, but there’s nothing better for strong wrists in my opinion.

Thanks for all the info dude! I notice you're into sledge levering and other wrist exercises. Would you put this device above plate curls or levering? 

I asked about DOH DU styles because there are threads in the past on the Grip Board of guys performing these styles using the WD1 & 2 I believe. I know David and Elizabeth's site specifies to only perform it doing the reverse style but there are benders and gripsters who use it for the other styles. Is it safe to do so? I'd imagine you would get even more of your moneys worth if you could incorporate more then just reverse only. 

I wish shipping wasn't so expensive from the World of Grip website. When compared to competitiors such as Gods of Grip(also out of England) it's night and day. Did you buy yours directly from the site or off ebay etc? 

Edited by Bigfoot Grip
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Thanks for all the info dude! I notice you're into sledge levering and other wrist exercises. Would you put this device above plate curls or levering? 

I asked about DOH DU styles because there are threads in the past on the Grip Board of guys performing these styles using the WD1 & 2 I believe. I know David and Elizabeth's site specifies to only perform it doing the reverse style but there are benders and gripsters who use it for the other styles. Is it safe to do so? I'd imagine you would get even more of your moneys worth if you could incorporate more then just reverse only. 

I wish shipping wasn't so expensive from the World of Grip website. When compared to competitiors such as Gods of Grip(also out of England) it's night and day. Did you buy yours directly from the site or off ebay etc? 

For conditioning and strengthening the wrists for bending, yes i would. But I bought 4 60d nails the same time I bought the WD, and  I bent them relatively easy, I owe that to my years with the sledgehammer.....what I didn't think about was the tendonitis I was gonna get because of the strain bending puts on your wrists.  I think if i had more time with the WD first it wouldn't have happened.  I think it probably is fine to use with other styles. I just don't.  I still have not been able to regularly use it

Yes its expensive, but they are well made..  I bought directly from them.  What does the IM bag of nails cost?  80+?  This was $140, and will last for ever... While nothing beats actual bending, this is a cheaper alternative in the long run... AND if you ever need to sell it, you can get 2/3 your money back.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

It's not meant to be used for anything other than reverse grip. 

Shipping is not that expensive and GOG is not a competitior to WOG. The WD is only sold by WOG and nowhere else.

Enough talking now guys, let's put up some results with the wrist developer.

• Like 1

What is the normal practice when it comes to spring seasoning? I remember people talking about it years ago but I don’t remember what was said. 

If you take a spring and set it on the highest setting on the vulcan gripper and close it, the spring will get streatched and weakened. I remember Matt Cannon did some ratings before and after the spring had been stretched and it was really significant. I personally never did that since I felt that no one would be able to close the gripper at the highest setting with any of the harder springs anyway so that type of seasoning would never naturally occur. The way I saw it was that if you did that then you were basically tampering with the spring to make it weaker. However, I remember in 2017 when I competed at the europeans. My previous best gripper result was Level 15 on the vulcan. When I was warming up with my own vulcan I could tell that I was having a bad day. Yet, when it was time for me to close the gripper that was used in the competition I PR’d like crazy. I don’t think I could’ve gotten level 15 on my own vulcan that day but I ended up closing level 17 or 18 with the competition gripper. As I walked away from the event I was wondering to myself if perhaps the spring used at the competition was faulty. But before I could mention it to any of the others I overheard a few mentioning that the spring was the toughest they had ever felt. That made me think that maybe it’s common practice to stretch the spring to season it? 

What are some of your opinions on this? Should the spring be stretched on the highest setting in order to “season” it?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good point David. In my opinion, only if you rate the springs you should stretch them. Just like you would close a torsion spring 30+ times before you rate them. If you don't rate them, don't tamper with them. Just train normally with them.

The only person I've seen even being close to the highest setting with the CROM spring is David Shamey, I think he did level 27 (which is completely insane by the way). And if you're at that level, you're not tampering, you're actually that strong, so you deserve the possible advantage you get.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Good point David. In my opinion, only if you rate the springs you should stretch them. Just like you would close a torsion spring 30+ times before you rate them. If you don't rate them, don't tamper with them. Just train normally with them.

The only person I've seen even being close to the highest setting with the CROM spring is David Shamey, I think he did level 27 (which is completely insane by the way). And if you're at that level, you're not tampering, you're actually that strong, so you deserve the possible advantage you get.

Haha, I agree. At that point you were just strong enough to ruin the equipment 😂

With the WD2 though I don’t think stretches the spring enough to weaken it. I think it’s only an issue on the vulcan gripper.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, David_wigren said:

What is the normal practice when it comes to spring seasoning? I remember people talking about it years ago but I don’t remember what was said. 

If you take a spring and set it on the highest setting on the vulcan gripper and close it, the spring will get streatched and weakened. I remember Matt Cannon did some ratings before and after the spring had been stretched and it was really significant. I personally never did that since I felt that no one would be able to close the gripper at the highest setting with any of the harder springs anyway so that type of seasoning would never naturally occur. The way I saw it was that if you did that then you were basically tampering with the spring to make it weaker. However, I remember in 2017 when I competed at the europeans. My previous best gripper result was Level 15 on the vulcan. When I was warming up with my own vulcan I could tell that I was having a bad day. Yet, when it was time for me to close the gripper that was used in the competition I PR’d like crazy. I don’t think I could’ve gotten level 15 on my own vulcan that day but I ended up closing level 17 or 18 with the competition gripper. As I walked away from the event I was wondering to myself if perhaps the spring used at the competition was faulty. But before I could mention it to any of the others I overheard a few mentioning that the spring was the toughest they had ever felt. That made me think that maybe it’s common practice to stretch the spring to season it? 

What are some of your opinions on this? Should the spring be stretched on the highest setting in order to “season” it?

If I remember correctly the spring dropped something like 10rgc after a full stretch on the highest setting. 

11 hours ago, bruce1337 said:

If I remember correctly the spring dropped something like 10rgc after a full stretch on the highest setting. 

Yeah, I remember something similar. I’m sure one can find those numbers if one cared enough to know the exact difference. 

BTW, how does the chrome spring look like? I founc a chrome looking type spring in an old box, I think the spring might have been sold together with the Vulcan2 gripper. It looks chrome but it’s a bit haggered so it’s not super shiny looking. I do have a gold and a wasp spring somewhere and I could test the springs to see how they compare. If the chrome is harder than the gold and wasp then I’ll assume it’s the actual chrome spring.

58 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

Yeah, I remember something similar. I’m sure one can find those numbers if one cared enough to know the exact difference. 

BTW, how does the chrome spring look like? I founc a chrome looking type spring in an old box, I think the spring might have been sold together with the Vulcan2 gripper. It looks chrome but it’s a bit haggered so it’s not super shiny looking. I do have a gold and a wasp spring somewhere and I could test the springs to see how they compare. If the chrome is harder than the gold and wasp then I’ll assume it’s the actual chrome spring.

Lucky for you I had one on the desk.

340A0E1E-3BA4-45CF-8088-5F5E277577E9.jpeg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Lucky for you I had one on the desk.

340A0E1E-3BA4-45CF-8088-5F5E277577E9.jpeg

Thank you brother! Looks the same as the one I have! Same appearance and same number of “revolotions” on the spring.

• Like 1

First submission! I think it’s level 14 with the CROM spring but I’m not 100% sure. I’ve got it set on the 4th notch on what I think is the stopper side and 3rd notch on the other side.

I tried to go for reps because I know the first rep is usually the hardest one, but the single was enough to gas me so I had to settle with the one rep. Hopefully I can climb a little higher once the muscle memory kicks in. I’ve trained reverse bending recently so I’m in fairly good shape. But I’ve not done the WD2 specifically for many many years.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

First submission! I think it’s level 14 with the CROM spring but I’m not 100% sure. I’ve got it set on the 4th notch on what I think is the stopper side and 3rd notch on the other side.

I tried to go for reps because I know the first rep is usually the hardest one, but the single was enough to gas me so I had to settle with the one rep. Hopefully I can climb a little higher once the muscle memory kicks in. I’ve trained reverse bending recently so I’m in fairly good shape. But I’ve not done the WD2 specifically for many many years.

Added to the list, good result.
Try to keep the WD a little bit higher up tho. This was very close to under waist level. It was a close call but I'll let it pass.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Added to the list, good result.
Try to keep the WD a little bit higher up tho. This was very close to under waist level. It was a close call but I'll let it pass.

Thank you! I actually forgot that part of the rules! I’ll be more mindful of it next time.

• Like 2

Level 15 was still a bit too hard. But I managed 4 reps on level 14. Held it a little higher this time.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, David_wigren said:

Level 15 was still a bit too hard. But I managed 4 reps on level 14. Held it a little higher this time.

Looks good, added to the list. Good progress! 👍

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Looks good, added to the list. Good progress! 👍

Thank you my friend!

• Like 1

This cert list should be re-named "Wiggy ruins WD for everyone"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bruce1337 said:

This cert list should be re-named "Wiggy ruins WD for everyone"

I would like to see more submissions to be honest. That's why I started it, everyone should be able to submit their results no matter what level they're at. But I guess the WD isn't that popular.

It's a great training tool and it's possible to make very fast progress on it if you focus on it.

Next week I’ll make a video. My tendinitis has cleared up and I’m starting to use it more often. But I’m on the orange spring and my level Is low.

5 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

I would like to see more submissions to be honest. That's why I started it, everyone should be able to submit their results no matter what level they're at. But I guess the WD isn't that popular.

It's a great training tool and it's possible to make very fast progress on it if you focus on it.

If only I had a WD. Would be fun to get on the list.