World Wide Grip Battle: No Excuses 2/5/22

Jedd Johnson

I am organizing a multi-venue competition on 2/5/22, called World Wide Grip Battle: No Excuses, and I failed to even post about it here.

I will be running my leg at PEAK Strength & Fitness. 36 Main Street Wyalusing, PA.

Weigh-ins begin at 8. Warm-ups begin at 9, Rules at 9:30 and contest starts at 10AM.

Events: All 4 Main Contest Events are 4 attempts, Rising Bar, with 60-second time limit for max weight with a crossbar set-up (no lockouts)

2HP Flask (7.5")
3" Trilobite (6")
Finnish Ball (13")
IronMind Hub (6")

There is also an Extra Event called Inch Dumbbell High Pull which will be scored separately.

No medial bracing will be permitted in any of the events.

All weight classes are going to be used for NAGS purposes.

Entry fees vary per location. Entry fee at my location will be $20 for Gym members, TGA members, and Coaching Clients. $30 for everyone else.

I'm only asking $5 per entrant from promoters.

Certificates will be sent to the winners via email.

Going to list the promoters, as I get information in.

Jedd Johnson, PEAK Strength & Fitness, Wyalusing PA

Josh Culpepper Troy, Ill USA

Joel Dircks Woodbury, MN, USA

Brad Provick Mettle Performance Training Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada 

Frank Chaudoin Vancouver WA, Contest to be held in Stayton OR

Joe Hodgson Sydney, NSW Australia

Nick Sanders Bowling Green KY USA

Ross Hilton Atlanta, GA, USA 

Arto Joronen, Finland

Michael Wilfong SPOKANE, WA USA

The plan is for this to be the first of several competitions in a series to be held this year.

Any questions, please let me know.

Thanks,

NAPALM

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jedd Johnson said:

I am organizing a multi-venue competition on 2/5/22, called World Wide Grip Battle: No Excuses, and I failed to even post about it here.

I will be running my leg at PEAK Strength & Fitness. 36 Main Street Wyalusing, PA.

Weigh-ins begin at 8. Warm-ups begin at 9, Rules at 9:30 and contest starts at 10AM.

Events: All 4 Main Contest Events are 4 attempts, Rising Bar, with 60-second time limit for max weight with a crossbar set-up (no lockouts)

2HP Flask (7.5")
3" Trilobite (6")
Finnish Ball (13")
IronMind Hub (6")

There is also an Extra Event called Inch Dumbbell High Pull which will be scored separately.

No medial bracing will be permitted in any of the events.

All weight classes are going to be used for NAGS purposes.

Entry fees vary per location. I'm only asking $5 per entrant.

Certificates will be sent to the winners via email.

The plan is for this to be the first of several competitions in a series to be held this year.

Any questions, please let me know.

Thanks,

NAPALM

Not my best events at all, but I do plan to join y'all for the camaraderie, and because I have to start getting back to working out, and find some new goals to chase after the IM cert.  Made my hotel rez.  Got girlfriend's blessing (she may even come).

Question: how does 2-hand flask usually compare to Euro?  I don't think I have ever done 2H flask.  Do people usually do about what they do on Euro?  Or about double what they do on one-hand flask?  Something else?  I find my pinch varies so much from implement to implement that I can't really guess where I would be on 2-hand flask.

4 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Flask, with the same width - a little heavier. Minus 5-10% from EP weights, depending on your technique. The difference arises from the fact that the Flask cannot be tilted with a large weight since the EP, even if you try to do this

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vinnie said:

The ratio in one lift and two will depend on the difference between the hands. Smaller the difference -  greater amount, up to the point that you can lift a little more than your one-handed record multiplied on two - due to the fact that you can use other hand positions on device and include additional muscles to increase the grip. If the difference is large, it will most likely be something like a double result of weak hand. 

• Like 2

Going to list the promoters in the first post.  Check out the edited info.

UPDATE:

We are really close on finishing the results. We are waiting on a couple spreadsheets.

We got delayed due to some info coming in, in kilos, but we're all caught up.

I'm going to list all the vents I received, just to make sure there weren't more locations that took place that never confirmed.

Please let me know if you ran or attended a contest yesterday but don't see it below.

Ross Hilton, Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Josh Culpepper Troy, Illinois, USA

Arto Joronen Finland

Glenn Hunter Melbourne, Australia

Michael Wilfong 

Frank Chaudoin Station, Oregon, USA

Nick Sanders Bowling Green, Kentucky, USA

Mike Saffell Bethesda, Ohio, USA

Brad Provick Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Joel Dircks Woodbury, Minnesota, USA

Thomas Larsen Arendal, Norway

Joseph Hodgson Sydney, Australia

Jedd Johnson Wyalusing Pennsylvania, USA

Please let me know if it looks like any locations might have been missed.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Was really upset to miss this, but it didn't work for me time wise this time.  Congrats to all who did it, can't wait to peruse the results!

• 2 weeks later...

You guys sound like the guys I need to ask this question to.  I am 53 from Ohio. Just got into grip training over the last year.  I am looking for grip contests to get into.  I can not do anything over head. Looking for something Similar to the king Kong challenge.  Do you know another web site that posts them.  I'd like to start with some smaller ones, amateur..  If anyone can point me in the right direction be much appreciated.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Coachbigatbr said:

You guys sound like the guys I need to ask this question to.  I am 53 from Ohio. Just got into grip training over the last year.  I am looking for grip contests to get into.  I can not do anything over head. Looking for something Similar to the king Kong challenge.  Do you know another web site that posts them.  I'd like to start with some smaller ones, amateur..  If anyone can point me in the right direction be much appreciated.  

Where you located? I’m in St Clairsville, Ohio. My friend, Mike Saffel, has a gym in Bethesda, Ohio. We have 3-4 grip contests a year, including King Kong. Are you going to the Arnold? Mike and I will be competing in the Armlifting USA contest there.

• Like 1

Jason,  

I live in Lorain County,  about 40 miles west of Cleveland.  Not sure if I'll make it to the Arnold this year. What day will you be competing? Good luck to you.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Coachbigatbr said:

Jason,  

I live in Lorain County,  about 40 miles west of Cleveland.  Not sure if I'll make it to the Arnold this year. What day will you be competing? Good luck to you.  

Thanks! I’m competing Saturday in the fat boy class.🤣 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 10:32 AM, Coachbigatbr said:

This is a great place to find contests listed.  Another is arm lifting usa: https://armliftingusa.com/upcoming-contests

Arm lifting and grip sports are two separately tracked groups as far as the competitions are held and scored, but the same group of people (mostly) attend both, and the events are similar.  I wish the two organizations would merge but I think it has been discussed and hasn't worked out.  I like both.

• Like 3

On 2/21/2022 at 10:48 AM, Vinnie said:

This is a great place to find contests listed.  Another is arm lifting usa: https://armliftingusa.com/upcoming-contests

Arm lifting and grip sports are two separately tracked groups as far as the competitions are held and scored, but the same group of people (mostly) attend both, and the events are similar.  I wish the two organizations would merge but I think it has been discussed and hasn't worked out.  I like both.

I ran NAGS/GSI for years along with other gripsters at my side.  I've asked for help years back from Odd and he wasn't interested. So, he decided to make his own league. Bryan H and I asked him and his team to work with us later on, and they wouldn't.

On 2/23/2022 at 1:15 PM, Jedd Johnson said:

I ran NAGS/GSI for years along with other gripsters at my side.  I've asked for help years back from Odd and he wasn't interested. So, he decided to make his own league. Bryan H and I asked him and his team to work with us later on, and they wouldn't.

Sorry to hear.  Same participants go to both. Would be great if they were together.  Thanks for trying.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2022 at 9:03 PM, Vinnie said:

Sorry to hear.  Same participants go to both. Would be great if they were together.  Thanks for trying.

Lot of behind the scenes b.s. nobody is aware of.

• Like 1