My Notes, Thoughts, Training logs, etc

SkyHeart

1 hour ago, SkyHeart said:

Anyone have an opinion on a gripper like this? or experience owning one?  

https://www.amazon.com/TIT-COOPOPE-Adjustable-Strengthener-Unbreakable/dp/B0B6FDRTC4/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=v5B4Y&content-id=amzn1.sym.e4bd6ac6-9035-4a04-92a6-fc4ad60e09ad&pf_rd_p=e4bd6ac6-9035-4a04-92a6-fc4ad60e09ad&pf_rd_r=G29TBMY17SSA4SF6C567&pd_rd_wg=DdV3U&pd_rd_r=3921804c-745a-4434-954f-6b68f0595c88&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

it looks like the handles are narrower than a fixed hand grip strengthener, but at the same time, that spring looks pretty sturdy. i wonder what the highest difficulty feels like, vs a CoC 4, or GHP 9 

I have a similar one (but not the same). It starts around RGC 120-130 lbs at the bottom (so no super easy setting on mine), and it theoretically goes to humanly impossible ratings. Theoretically, because the end of the U bar will touch before the handles can touch. This can be different on the model you linked. 
Because there is no spring, the beginning is easy, then it gets super hard super fast. I would describe the feeling as a parallel choked gripper but wider, where the beginning is easier so you don't have to be explosive but around 10mm it's a sudden brick wall if you're not "prepared". The spread on mine is 30mm/1.18" and the knurling is ok. It is extremely easy to set to MMS spread/20mm.
I got mine super cheap with free shipping, and it's a fun tool to have. I use it in my training time-to-time. Sometimes without setting it, sometimes with a small set. The biggest downside is that it's very hard to be consistent on it: depending on how much your pinky (accidentally) touches the bar, the strength required to close the gripper can be very different. Here is me using it a few months ago, maybe it gives you a better idea about the tool:

Edited by matek
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, matek said:

I have a similar one (but not the same). It starts around RGC 120-130 lbs at the bottom (so no super easy setting on mine), and it theoretically goes to humanly impossible ratings. Theoretically, because the end of the U bar will touch before the handles can touch. This can be different on the model you linked. 
Because there is no spring, the beginning is easy, then it gets super hard super fast. I would describe the feeling as a parallel choked gripper but wider, where the beginning is easier so you don't have to be explosive but around 10mm it's a sudden brick wall if you're not "prepared". The spread on mine is 30mm/1.18" and the knurling is ok. It is extremely easy to set to MMS spread/20mm.
I got mine super cheap with free shipping, and it's a fun tool to have. I use it in my training time-to-time. Sometimes without setting it, sometimes with a small set. The biggest downside is that it's very hard to be consistent on it: depending on how much your pinky (accidentally) touches the bar, the strength required to close the gripper can be very different. Here is me using it a few months ago, maybe it gives you a better idea about the tool:

I see what you mean about a parallel choked gripper, what with how the handles are perfectly side by side. never tried a choked grip personally but would be open to incorporating the strategy into my regime, as it seems to be a fun way to improve the finishing move. thinking about purchasing one of these sometime, hence my asking. thanks for your input ! by the way, you've got awesome forearms my friend :D hope your training and the year has been good to you while  continuing to be ! 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, SkyHeart said:

I see what you mean about a parallel choked gripper, what with how the handles are perfectly side by side. never tried a choked grip personally but would be open to incorporating the strategy into my regime, as it seems to be a fun way to improve the finishing move. thinking about purchasing one of these sometime, hence my asking. thanks for your input ! 

When I did grippers frequently, choked grippers (so not the U gripper, but torsion spring grippers choked) helped me a lot to progress relatively fast. And as you said, it's fun! It's nice to close grippers +15-20 RGC above my MMS 😄.

Btw, CPW sells adjustable torsion spring grippers. If you can choke it somehow while still being able to adjust the handles, it's the ultimate, unbeatable option for an adjustable parallel gripper. For various reasons, the usual hose clamp solution won't work but using a giant washer on the spring works really well for me. If you're interested I can send you the details in a private message. 

1 hour ago, SkyHeart said:

by the way, you've got awesome forearms my friend :D hope your training and the year has been good to you while  continuing to be ! 

Thanks for your kind words. I can't complain! Since I added more variety to my grip training sessions, I started to have fewer and fewer problems. Not even because the different kinds of grip exercises complement each other, but I just don't have the opportunity to overtrain anything; no time if I want to do everything once per week. 

I hope your training is going well!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, matek said:

When I did grippers frequently, choked grippers (so not the U gripper, but torsion spring grippers choked) helped me a lot to progress relatively fast. And as you said, it's fun! It's nice to close grippers +15-20 RGC above my MMS 😄.

Btw, CPW sells adjustable torsion spring grippers. If you can choke it somehow while still being able to adjust the handles, it's the ultimate, unbeatable option for an adjustable parallel gripper. For various reasons, the usual hose clamp solution won't work but using a giant washer on the spring works really well for me. If you're interested I can send you the details in a private message. 

Thanks for your kind words. I can't complain! Since I added more variety to my grip training sessions, I started to have fewer and fewer problems. Not even because the different kinds of grip exercises complement each other, but I just don't have the opportunity to overtrain anything; no time if I want to do everything once per week. 

I hope your training is going well!

I would be mighty glad to see more details, thanks in advance for offering :D

it does look like the U bar would make it easier to do assisted closes. thats my favorite method for building up the arm strength that comes with setting a grip as deep as i can. for the first year, i didnt even know what setting was and did pretty much no set attempts which felt pretty tough, even just closing an off "200" xD 

i've heard a little about using hose clamps, but never tried it since i heard it comes with safety risks, but then again, grippers themselves have a slight risk, what with the small chance of a spring failing one day. im glad to hear that you've got a strategy thats serving your goals! i just broke through a mini-milestone last night, fortunately :) it had been a good couple weeks since the last time i managed to pull off such a stunt! :D  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SkyHeart said:

I would be mighty glad to see more details, thanks in advance for offering :D

PM sent👍

t does look like the U bar would make it easier to do assisted closes. thats my favorite method for building up the arm strength that comes with setting a grip as deep as i can. for the first year, i didnt even know what setting was and did pretty much no set attempts which felt pretty tough, even just closing an off "200" xD 

Yes it might be good in a sense that you don't really need to set the gripper. 

No set is really hard if you don't have giant hands! 😄

i've heard a little about using hose clamps, but never tried it since i heard it comes with safety risks, but then again, grippers themselves have a slight risk, what with the small chance of a spring failing one day.

Actually a good quality stainless steel hose clamp should be fine for almost all grippers - if you choke it at the top of the handles. Choking it at the spring part is another story. 

im glad to hear that you've got a strategy thats serving your goals! i just broke through a mini-milestone last night, fortunately :) it had been a good couple weeks since the last time i managed to pull off such a stunt! :D  

Sounds good, what was the milestone? 

• 1 month later...

Update! I was able to close my YZLSports250 for 8 reps in a row in my right (almost 9) and 9. almost 10 in my left!  I let go of the handles and semi set each rep, but still. i never was able to do that before! seems my newly adopted method is already showing positive signs :D  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SkyHeart said:

Update! I was able to close my YZLSports250 for 8 reps in a row in my right (almost 9) and 9. almost 10 in my left!  I let go of the handles and semi set each rep, but still. i never was able to do that before! seems my newly adopted method is already showing positive signs :D  

Thats what we like to hear!

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Thats what we like to hear!

Darn Skippy! ( i never used that term before XD )  also, thanks for your encouragement! :D 

• Haha 1

Just now, SkyHeart said:

Darn Skippy! ( i never used that term before XD )  also, thanks for your encouragement! :D 

thats a good one!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blacksmith513 said:

thats a good one!

come to think of it; i heard of it from Paper Mario: the thousand year door, when he's in chapter 3 at GlitzPit xD 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SkyHeart said:

DESTROY THOSE GRIPPERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSS!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SkyHeart said:

Grip-Hulk Smash!..er.. i mean... Squeeze! >8{O  

SQUEEZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

SQUEEZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

i get the slightest sensation that this could be a quote from a character off something xD ^  yet i've no idea what, lol ! 

• Haha 1

So in my right hand when the joints were revved up, it looks like the powerball 300's handles were closer together than my last attempt two days back.  its been several months since it looked that close together. seems im back on the right track for sure!! cant wait until the ends meet at last , and then my next stop: Powerball 350 ;)  

• Like 4

Tested myself again with my YZLsports250. First i made it near 9 wideset reps again in my right hand, then in same hand; i climbed up to 11 individualized widesets in a row! left hand was a little lower today. kind of odd how the hands take turns out performing one another, or are even, depending on the date. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, SkyHeart said:

Tested myself again with my YZLsports250. First i made it near 9 wideset reps again in my right hand, then in same hand; i climbed up to 11 individualized widesets in a row! left hand was a little lower today. kind of odd how the hands take turns out performing one another, or are even, depending on the date. 

it is... lately my right hand has been stronger.. which is weird. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

it is... lately my right hand has been stronger.. which is weird. 

right? 3 days ago , or in my previous entry, my left was higher up in reps xD maybe it depends on what side of the brain is more activated ? 

36 minutes ago, SkyHeart said:

right? 3 days ago , or in my previous entry, my left was higher up in reps xD maybe it depends on what side of the brain is more activated ? 

Yeah, there is some neurological stuff that’s above me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yeah, there is some neurological stuff that’s above me. 

the idea was suggested by my grandmother,  otherwise i never would have thought about it xD 

just came home a bit ago from some shopping and carried stuff on foot. gotta say. my inner elbows/biceps were sore, but my hands and wrists wernt even phased.  good ol grippers helped yet again 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SkyHeart said:

the idea was suggested by my grandmother,  otherwise i never would have thought about it xD 

just came home a bit ago from some shopping and carried stuff on foot. gotta say. my inner elbows/biceps were sore, but my hands and wrists wernt even phased.  good ol grippers helped yet again 

Grandmas know best!

yes. There is a big relation between the brain and grip. I really don’t know why other than the fact are hands are what connect us to everything we do.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Grandmas know best!

yes. There is a big relation between the brain and grip. I really don’t know why other than the fact are hands are what connect us to everything we do.

speaking of which, i just remembered some study saying how every finger on both hands (thumbs also) are connected to some skill/form of recognition that we use daily and can even improve on. like, 10 unique features. i forget what most of them are but i know one was reading, logic, imagination, cognitive function and so on (absolutely. Grandmothers are super clever :D )  

• Like 2