My Notes, Thoughts, Training logs, etc

SkyHeart

14 minutes ago, SkyHeart said:

It is odd how feelings can be mistaken for capability isn't it? This seems to apply for the rules of writing ( since i'd like to be an author some day ) that if someone only writes when feeling inspired, they wouldn't get to where they want anytime soon. I just tried to imagine if someone could have that same excited, hyped, motivated feeling every time they attempted a big gripper or very heavy weight, and imagined they would probably hurt themselves before even realizing it. kind of like what happens when someone is on an adrenaline rush and the pain doesn't set in until the charge wears off. 

I like how the skin tells me when to stop training for the day. like, when it starts to feel chapped from the friction of handles rubbing over it many times, its like a signal that i've done enough for the time being.  the foam handles are good for comfort but they kind of get in my way at the same time if that makes sense.

Do you have any favorite techniques for grippers, or even techniques you're not really into? I mainly like to use Wide sets , partials, or negatives 

It's really odd you won't really get anywhere if you only do something when you are feeling inspired.

The same goes for motivation motivation is useless and has to become habit in order for you to stick with something.

Nobody is going to achieve their goals with just motivation.

I like the idea of negatives and have used them unknowingly for a long time I thought I was just doing holds but because I forced it shut with 2 hands I was actually doing negatives.

I only do No Sets at the moment I used to like Table No Sets as well but I don't really see the point of it if you can just throw the gripper around with 1 hand until it's in position.

It's a No Set at that point and not a Table No Set in my opinion.

Setting is too difficult for me I lack the upper body strength and it hurts my joints.

I know it is the best way to get stronger on grippers but I don't really care.

My no set is stronger than my CCS and it might even be stronger than my deep set.

There's just no point for me.

I don't feel like wasting months worth of progress practicing a set without knowing whether or not it is actually going to help me in the end.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

It's really odd you won't really get anywhere if you only do something when you are feeling inspired.

The same goes for motivation motivation is useless and has to become habit in order for you to stick with something.

Nobody is going to achieve their goals with just motivation.

I like the idea of negatives and have used them unknowingly for a long time I thought I was just doing holds but because I forced it shut with 2 hands I was actually doing negatives.

I only do No Sets at the moment I used to like Table No Sets as well but I don't really see the point of it if you can just throw the gripper around with 1 hand until it's in position.

It's a No Set at that point and not a Table No Set in my opinion.

Sometimes I miss the first couple of months of training. like to reminisce over the old days when it seemed so new :D  without even knowing it, i used to just try no sets every time. no help from a second hand or anything. couldn't even close a HG100 the time. feels funny to know i'm taking on that last half - 1 inch of a wide handled 300 these days. 

No sets are fun for sure. I like the idea of just picking it up and seeing what the one set of fingers can do in that moment. i kinda noticed that even when my crushing strength seems less than usual, its much easier to do day to day tasks now, like lifting heavy pans, turning faucets, opening jars, and twisting/turning whatever else xD 

Credit card sets or deep sets seem kind of tricky for me, unless its a gripper im strong enough to do reps with, like my off brand 200 and 250, but they look so cool when done by someone else on youtube uploads

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SkyHeart said:

Sometimes I miss the first couple of months of training. like to reminisce over the old days when it seemed so new :D  without even knowing it, i used to just try no sets every time. no help from a second hand or anything. couldn't even close a HG100 the time. feels funny to know i'm taking on that last half - 1 inch of a wide handled 300 these days. 

No sets are fun for sure. I like the idea of just picking it up and seeing what the one set of fingers can do in that moment. i kinda noticed that even when my crushing strength seems less than usual, its much easier to do day to day tasks now, like lifting heavy pans, turning faucets, opening jars, and twisting/turning whatever else xD 

Credit card sets or deep sets seem kind of tricky for me, unless its a gripper im strong enough to do reps with, like my off brand 200 and 250, but they look so cool when done by someone else on youtube uploads

You're pretty strong man.

No sets are awesome.

I have noticed the same thing I have noticed tons of carry over from grippers to my every day life including improvement in coordination.

I like watching credit card sets and deep sets but I enjoy watching no sets the most because that means that someone has mastered the gripper.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

You're pretty strong man.

No sets are awesome.

I have noticed the same thing I have noticed tons of carry over from grippers to my every day life including improvement in coordination.

I like watching credit card sets and deep sets but I enjoy watching no sets the most because that means that someone has mastered the gripper.

thanks! and thanks again for all your advice by the way, i needed to hear it from someone else thats into grippers :D  its cool to know i'm not the only one who sees carry over. i don't really use any other equipment , but do a couple body exercises and walks. used to be into weights, but drifted from those for a couple of reasons , though i like to watch others bench press, deadlift or squat heavy barbells. 

the credit card sets seem to require a different kind of coordination/focus. i may try them more in the future but for now am satisfied with the routine i use with occasional sprinkling in of angles, set types and such. 

Absolutely, No sets speak the loudest. I'm not even sure i've seen someone no set a CoC 4, or GHP9. as for a GHP8/ Coc 3.5 , i might have seen it and forgot. hard to tell since im always going from gripper channel to gripper channel xD

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SkyHeart said:

thanks! and thanks again for all your advice by the way, i needed to hear it from someone else thats into grippers :D  its cool to know i'm not the only one who sees carry over. i don't really use any other equipment , but do a couple body exercises and walks. used to be into weights, but drifted from those for a couple of reasons , though i like to watch others bench press, deadlift or squat heavy barbells. 

the credit card sets seem to require a different kind of coordination/focus. i may try them more in the future but for now am satisfied with the routine i use with occasional sprinkling in of angles, set types and such. 

Absolutely, No sets speak the loudest. I'm not even sure i've seen someone no set a CoC 4, or GHP9. as for a GHP8/ Coc 3.5 , i might have seen it and forgot. hard to tell since im always going from gripper channel to gripper channel xD

No problem man I am glad I was able to help.

I used to be into weights as well but sadly I was forced to quit because of a skin condition I have.

Resistance training creates inflammation in the body which flares up my acne and on top of that I have a skin condition that creates abscesses I have had like 7 or more and 1 of them nearly killed me.

I nearly suffered from blood poisoning.

The inflammation created by my training contributes to the growth of abscesses so it's simply not worth it to keep training.

Thankfully I discovered grip.

I do hope I can go back to sledge levering though because I love wrist strength as well.

Credit card sets can feel awkward I also really hate the feeling of the gripper trying to open my hand.

I have seen a 3.5 Table No Set and I think I remember Nathan Holle saying that he is able to No Set a 4 which is just out of this world.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DevilErik said:

No problem man I am glad I was able to help.

I used to be into weights as well but sadly I was forced to quit because of a skin condition I have.

Resistance training creates inflammation in the body which flares up my acne and on top of that I have a skin condition that creates abscesses I have had like 7 or more and 1 of them nearly killed me.

I nearly suffered from blood poisoning.

The inflammation created by my training contributes to the growth of abscesses so it's simply not worth it to keep training.

Thankfully I discovered grip.

I do hope I can go back to sledge levering though because I love wrist strength as well.

Credit card sets can feel awkward I also really hate the feeling of the gripper trying to open my hand.

I have seen a 3.5 Table No Set and I think I remember Nathan Holle saying that he is able to No Set a 4 which is just out of this world.

Wow.. I had no idea that skin conditions and weight lifting could correlate. Thats really something.. just goes to show how if one thing goes wrong with us, everything else can too.. I'm very glad you survived and are here to tell the tale. and i appreciate you mentioning such a personal story. 

With me, it was when i was trying to play with dumbbells that were too heavy, too soon. when i just benched with them, it was alright, but one day i thought i was being adventurous, when i was just being stupid, and have given myself a couple of (thankfully) minor kinks, or hernias i guess they could be called. they dont bulge or anything, but they occasionally nag me if i lift things with certain angles. I tried to get back into it a couple of times but, realized its no good (plus i dont want to be bothered with the process of being operated on, since for one; its not dangerous, just annoying and i need to be careful sometimes. ) lived with it since 22, but im going to be 28 in a few months. 

i forgot all about grippers, until my grandmother whos also my best friend; suggested i look them up on Ebay. i started with those easy foam handled/ plastic ones that anybody can rep many times. then one day stumbled across the heavy duty metal ones and was like " ooo.. whats this? :D "   turns out i love them way more than weights, kettlebells and other equipment. im not sure why, its just that kind of feeling when one is drawn to someone/something. 

by the way, sorry my answer was kind of delayed this time. made a run to the store on a whim for a few consumables. I really hope you're able to find a remedy to cure, or reduce your skin ailment :)  

What else i find awesome about Nathan is how mellow he is, and answers each of his commenters on youtube. Always so nice, patient and friendly, even toward those who make rude statements his way. Reminds me of how the strongest people and specimen in the world are very often peaceful and just want to live life in peace. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SkyHeart said:

Wow.. I had no idea that skin conditions and weight lifting could correlate. Thats really something.. just goes to show how if one thing goes wrong with us, everything else can too.. I'm very glad you survived and are here to tell the tale. and i appreciate you mentioning such a personal story. 

With me, it was when i was trying to play with dumbbells that were too heavy, too soon. when i just benched with them, it was alright, but one day i thought i was being adventurous, when i was just being stupid, and have given myself a couple of (thankfully) minor kinks, or hernias i guess they could be called. they dont bulge or anything, but they occasionally nag me if i lift things with certain angles. I tried to get back into it a couple of times but, realized its no good (plus i dont want to be bothered with the process of being operated on, since for one; its not dangerous, just annoying and i need to be careful sometimes. ) lived with it since 22, but im going to be 28 in a few months. 

i forgot all about grippers, until my grandmother whos also my best friend; suggested i look them up on Ebay. i started with those easy foam handled/ plastic ones that anybody can rep many times. then one day stumbled across the heavy duty metal ones and was like " ooo.. whats this? :D "   turns out i love them way more than weights, kettlebells and other equipment. im not sure why, its just that kind of feeling when one is drawn to someone/something. 

by the way, sorry my answer was kind of delayed this time. made a run to the store on a whim for a few consumables. I really hope you're able to find a remedy to cure, or reduce your skin ailment :)  

What else i find awesome about Nathan is how mellow he is, and answers each of his commenters on youtube. Always so nice, patient and friendly, even toward those who make rude statements his way. Reminds me of how the strongest people and specimen in the world are very often peaceful and just want to live life in peace. 

I never knew they could correlate either until I started noticing that I would pretty much get an abscess every 3 weeks while training.

Thanks man I appreciate that.

Weights that are too heavy for you can destroy you I am glad what's happened to you isn't dangerous.

I totally understand that you just quit because it definitely isn't worth having to get operated on.

I had the same thing with grippers I always thought the foam handled ones were kind of stupid but the first time I saw a real one I just had to get one.

I did go back and forth at first because I wasn't sure I'd stick with it and I didn't want to spend money on a gripper if I wasn't going to stick with it.

But I am glad I did.

I do want to get a loading pin and some weights and focus more on thickbar/pinch.

I really want to be well rounded I don't mind grippers being my strongest grip lift but I really like pinch and thickbar as well.

The loading pin is just amazing for me because of the tiny range of motion this means that I can actually deadlift with it without it potientally being dangerous for me.

Nathan is always nice even when people call him names or call his closes fake he has nothing to prove and I am glad he isn't bothered with people calling him out.

Strength is their thing and they are pretty much only busy with that.

They want to be left alone and despite them being the best and knowing it I don't think they really care.

They just love their sport so much and they put everything they have into it and that worked out for them.

Which is a great attitude in my opinion there is no need to be cocky or rude there is no need to tell the world that you are good at something or the best actions speak louder than words.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DevilErik said:

I never knew they could correlate either until I started noticing that I would pretty much get an abscess every 3 weeks while training.

Thanks man I appreciate that.

Weights that are too heavy for you can destroy you I am glad what's happened to you isn't dangerous.

I totally understand that you just quit because it definitely isn't worth having to get operated on.

I had the same thing with grippers I always thought the foam handled ones were kind of stupid but the first time I saw a real one I just had to get one.

I did go back and forth at first because I wasn't sure I'd stick with it and I didn't want to spend money on a gripper if I wasn't going to stick with it.

But I am glad I did.

I do want to get a loading pin and some weights and focus more on thickbar/pinch.

I really want to be well rounded I don't mind grippers being my strongest grip lift but I really like pinch and thickbar as well.

The loading pin is just amazing for me because of the tiny range of motion this means that I can actually deadlift with it without it potientally being dangerous for me.

Nathan is always nice even when people call him names or call his closes fake he has nothing to prove and I am glad he isn't bothered with people calling him out.

Strength is their thing and they are pretty much only busy with that.

They want to be left alone and despite them being the best and knowing it I don't think they really care.

They just love their sport so much and they put everything they have into it and that worked out for them.

Which is a great attitude in my opinion there is no need to be cocky or rude there is no need to tell the world that you are good at something or the best actions speak louder than words.

Seems I'm learning more from here than anywhere else 0.0 but now that i think about it, i remember having small skin breakouts when weightlifting. not serious ones, just small acne marks or pimples here and there. I chalked it up to just the increased oxygen throughout the blood maybe pushing toxins out faster, but your mentioning of inflammation and skin reactions makes much more sense than what i used to assume it was. 

Its fascinating what can end up pushing us to discover what we really are meant to do. Like how we both ended up focusing mainly on grip training :D I've seen thickbar training mentioned a few times, but never tried it. seems like it would be great for individual fingers to gain coordination too. 

i told someone im friends with about what happened to me due to the recklessness of using heavy weights and he advised i should get it "fixed" aka the whole operation ordeal. but. just the thought of doing it makes me cringe, especially since its not anywhere near being a danger of an emergency. its refreshing to hear someone else who would rather not deal with all of that either. 

The foam handles do seem kinda counterproductive dont they? well for anyone who wants even slightly above average hand strength. i would imagine ones as easy as those are more for health, managing blood pressure, stress release or just curing small fits of boredom. they look fun and friendly but take forever to get an efficient workout with unless someones willing to squeeze them hundreds of times within an hour (which i'll admit i did in the past xD ) 

I hope to have the same patience and mellow reactions someday. I know it comes naturally for some, and self conditioning for others. Nathan's an awesome inspiration in more ways than one :D 

You know who else i'm intrigued by? i think his name is Quianchen Yang ? I probably misspelled but, hes been able to train all the way up to GHP9/Coc4 Status and if i recall right, i don't think he really did much else besides grippers alone. since i only use those myself, its inspirational to hear how far one can get with just one kind of training equipment ! 

Seems we all have made it through the first month of big ol 2022. I hope you're having an awesome day ( or evening ) :)  i woke up kinda late again, but its part of me so its not much of a surprise lol

• Like 1

Just now, SkyHeart said:

Seems I'm learning more from here than anywhere else 0.0 but now that i think about it, i remember having small skin breakouts when weightlifting. not serious ones, just small acne marks or pimples here and there. I chalked it up to just the increased oxygen throughout the blood maybe pushing toxins out faster, but your mentioning of inflammation and skin reactions makes much more sense than what i used to assume it was. 

Its fascinating what can end up pushing us to discover what we really are meant to do. Like how we both ended up focusing mainly on grip training :D I've seen thickbar training mentioned a few times, but never tried it. seems like it would be great for individual fingers to gain coordination too. 

i told someone im friends with about what happened to me due to the recklessness of using heavy weights and he advised i should get it "fixed" aka the whole operation ordeal. but. just the thought of doing it makes me cringe, especially since its not anywhere near being a danger of an emergency. its refreshing to hear someone else who would rather not deal with all of that either. 

The foam handles do seem kinda counterproductive dont they? well for anyone who wants even slightly above average hand strength. i would imagine ones as easy as those are more for health, managing blood pressure, stress release or just curing small fits of boredom. they look fun and friendly but take forever to get an efficient workout with unless someones willing to squeeze them hundreds of times within an hour (which i'll admit i did in the past xD ) 

I hope to have the same patience and mellow reactions someday. I know it comes naturally for some, and self conditioning for others. Nathan's an awesome inspiration in more ways than one :D 

You know who else i'm intrigued by? i think his name is Quianchen Yang ? I probably misspelled but, hes been able to train all the way up to GHP9/Coc4 Status and if i recall right, i don't think he really did much else besides grippers alone. since i only use those myself, its inspirational to hear how far one can get with just one kind of training equipment ! 

Seems we all have made it through the first month of big ol 2022. I hope you're having an awesome day ( or evening ) :)  i woke up kinda late again, but its part of me so its not much of a surprise lol

I get huge inflamed pimples from training I could literally feel them coming out of my back while exerting myself in training.

I guess we are meant to be grip monsters haha.

From what I have heard thickbar is especially great for the thumb and it is the single best thing for "real world" strength because you usually aren't able to completely wrap your fingers around stuff in the real world your hand is usually open.

People are always telling other people to get stuff "fixed"  operations aren't without risk and why risk making it worse when it isn't affecting your health or your daily life.

You also clearly have a bad feeling about it if the idea is already making cringe so I think it's best to just leave it alone.

The foam handles feel weird as if you are squeezing a sponge with a tiny bit of resistance.

I guess they can be good for recovery,stress release or boredom yeah haha.

Yeah he is an absolute monster it is definitely impressive that he has gotten this far with just grippers.

I hope you're having an awesome day as well! (It's evening here) I usually wake up late as well so I feel you haha.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I get huge inflamed pimples from training I could literally feel them coming out of my back while exerting myself in training.

I guess we are meant to be grip monsters haha.

From what I have heard thickbar is especially great for the thumb and it is the single best thing for "real world" strength because you usually aren't able to completely wrap your fingers around stuff in the real world your hand is usually open.

People are always telling other people to get stuff "fixed"  operations aren't without risk and why risk making it worse when it isn't affecting your health or your daily life.

You also clearly have a bad feeling about it if the idea is already making cringe so I think it's best to just leave it alone.

The foam handles feel weird as if you are squeezing a sponge with a tiny bit of resistance.

I guess they can be good for recovery,stress release or boredom yeah haha.

Yeah he is an absolute monster it is definitely impressive that he has gotten this far with just grippers.

I hope you're having an awesome day as well! (It's evening here) I usually wake up late as well so I feel you haha.

>.< oof. that seems like a painful description, for them to squeeze themselves through your skin like that and so suddenly. I'm super glad you're not having to go through that anymore. kind of reminds me of the times when i would finish a set of weights, or pushups, and later on i would have this half second , but horrid ripping pain in the minor hernia areas mentioned. then i was like "... yeeea... im NOT doing that anymore.. " its so odd though, how i can do negatives/assisted closes with my gripper thats equal to about a COC3 - 3.5 multiple times, and i don't have that issue. maybe because i'm not working with gravity? its a cool mystery. 

Absolutely! We're Grip Comrades xD :D i'll have to check that out about thickbar training. good thing for youtube right? ( despite their growing spam of advertisements every year, lol ) sometimes i do want to find out how to train the thumb more, since using my old grip donut doesnt help much anymore. 

Speaking of operations, i heard a couple of times that the hospital i was born in ended up killing more people than it saved. kind of creepy but im not sure if there is much reality with that, since if there was, there would very, very likely be an investigation. but even if it wasn't true, it wouldn't exactly help to hear " oh by the way, casualties are common here ]:o " not to mention; i had to have a few cosmetic surgeries in my childhood (left eye) and just the whole process is unnerving. 

Oh, i just thought to ask, do you ever take an easy gripper and do many many reps with it throughout the day? like say a Coc1, or HG100/150? i used to do it with mine until they kinda snapped on me 😆  i almost miss the routine and wonder if it might help carry over to goal grippers. 

Thanks a bunch for your reply, everything is pretty good over here :D  can't believe its 5pm Est here already, lol. seems like just a minute ago it was 1:30. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkyHeart said:

>.< oof. that seems like a painful description, for them to squeeze themselves through your skin like that and so suddenly. I'm super glad you're not having to go through that anymore. kind of reminds me of the times when i would finish a set of weights, or pushups, and later on i would have this half second , but horrid ripping pain in the minor hernia areas mentioned. then i was like "... yeeea... im NOT doing that anymore.. " its so odd though, how i can do negatives/assisted closes with my gripper thats equal to about a COC3 - 3.5 multiple times, and i don't have that issue. maybe because i'm not working with gravity? its a cool mystery. 

Absolutely! We're Grip Comrades xD :D i'll have to check that out about thickbar training. good thing for youtube right? ( despite their growing spam of advertisements every year, lol ) sometimes i do want to find out how to train the thumb more, since using my old grip donut doesnt help much anymore. 

Speaking of operations, i heard a couple of times that the hospital i was born in ended up killing more people than it saved. kind of creepy but im not sure if there is much reality with that, since if there was, there would very, very likely be an investigation. but even if it wasn't true, it wouldn't exactly help to hear " oh by the way, casualties are common here ]:o " not to mention; i had to have a few cosmetic surgeries in my childhood (left eye) and just the whole process is unnerving. 

Oh, i just thought to ask, do you ever take an easy gripper and do many many reps with it throughout the day? like say a Coc1, or HG100/150? i used to do it with mine until they kinda snapped on me 😆  i almost miss the routine and wonder if it might help carry over to goal grippers. 

Thanks a bunch for your reply, everything is pretty good over here :D  can't believe its 5pm Est here already, lol. seems like just a minute ago it was 1:30. 

I appreciate that man I can imagine the hernia pain being awful as well.

I am glad that grippers don't give you issues.

Brothers in Grip haha

Just get some fatgripz or get a good rolling handle the rolling handle with a loading pin will probably be best for you.

I have major back issues as well for a different reason so I know what it's like.

You could get a cheap pony clamp and train your thumb with that just be careful not to go overboard with it.

That is indeed pretty damn creepy.

Eye surgeries are prettty scary so I get that.

I don't but I have done reps to failure with a light gripper for forearm hypertrophy but I have kinda given up on the whole forearm hypertrophy thing and I am only focusing on wrist and grip strength now.

Doing high reps with grippers is hella fun though.

The more I train grip the more I start appreciating strength.

I don't think high reps will carry over to your strength work but I am not entirely sure.

You're welcome man great to hear.

Damn that is pretty late time flies.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SkyHeart said:

I'm not telling you what to do and I normally would be like you and ignore a hernia if its not causing pain..  But I have a friend, who ignored one, got so badly infected he's missing a testicle now and part of his intestines.   My dad tends to ignore stuff too, but when he found out he had a hernia which he had no idea, he got it taken care of immediately because of our friend. 

Again I get it because I've had a few good injuries and refused to go to the doctors so I know whats like.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DevilErik said:

I appreciate that man I can imagine the hernia pain being awful as well.

I am glad that grippers don't give you issues.

Brothers in Grip haha

Just get some fatgripz or get a good rolling handle the rolling handle with a loading pin will probably be best for you.

I have major back issues as well for a different reason so I know what it's like.

You could get a cheap pony clamp and train your thumb with that just be careful not to go overboard with it.

That is indeed pretty damn creepy.

Eye surgeries are prettty scary so I get that.

I don't but I have done reps to failure with a light gripper for forearm hypertrophy but I have kinda given up on the whole forearm hypertrophy thing and I am only focusing on wrist and grip strength now.

Doing high reps with grippers is hella fun though.

The more I train grip the more I start appreciating strength.

I don't think high reps will carry over to your strength work but I am not entirely sure.

You're welcome man great to hear.

Damn that is pretty late time flies.

Thankfully it was very very short lasted ( and its been a while since that happened ) otherwise i'd find it terrifying honestly. xD Brothers in Grip indeed! seems like a fun idea, i'm already interested and will be looking more into it :D Whenever i have joint or body aches, i like to sometimes take diatamaceous earth ( like a teaspoon - tablespoon ) in whatever im drinking. it seems to help somewhat in general and even makes my dental health feel stronger. maybe the silica, calcium and magnesium is what does the trick. 

i heard that once we hit 30, our bones stops making calcium reserves and needs supplementing even more than young adults, but im not sure if im remembering that correctly.. though i wonder if its why we're more prone to back and joint issues in this day in age. 

What i find scariest about surgeries is the rare instances where people wake up before its over... and the couple of times where the surgeons didn't even notice the patient was awake.. until they've went through most of the hell.. *shivers* yish.. just no. x.x  

come to think of it though, when i did mainly high reps on low resistance, it didnt seem to provide any carry over until i threw in a few negatives at the end, then suddenly my hand power boosted somewhat. now im more into negatives xD 

Sorry about the late reply by the way! sometimes i don't even realize that days or weeks have passed before even blinking, then i check the time/date and am bewildered lol

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I'm not telling you what to do and I normally would be like you and ignore a hernia if its not causing pain..  But I have a friend, who ignored one, got so badly infected he's missing a testicle now and part of his intestines.   My dad tends to ignore stuff too, but when he found out he had a hernia which he had no idea, he got it taken care of immediately because of our friend. 

Again I get it because I've had a few good injuries and refused to go to the doctors so I know whats like.

Wow.. that is really scary, and a super close call. I hope your friend is doing okay , or as okay as he can for being in such a condition.. i have an uncle who , since he was a kid, has a similar issue (intestines) though i forgot what caused it since this happened before i was born. great to hear that your Dad is alright and got everything taken care of. 

By the way, I totally get why you would let me know about this. i appreciate you letting me know , my Friend :) i'll keep a closer eye on myself and take better precautions for prevention, and to notice if anything seems to get worse. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SkyHeart said:

Wow.. that is really scary, and a super close call. I hope your friend is doing okay , or as okay as he can for being in such a condition.. i have an uncle who , since he was a kid, has a similar issue (intestines) though i forgot what caused it since this happened before i was born. great to hear that your Dad is alright and got everything taken care of. 

By the way, I totally get why you would let me know about this. i appreciate you letting me know , my Friend :) i'll keep a closer eye on myself and take better precautions for prevention, and to notice if anything seems to get worse. 

You got it. Can’t mess around when it comes to balls. They where my first pair of grippers🤣

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SkyHeart said:

Thankfully it was very very short lasted ( and its been a while since that happened ) otherwise i'd find it terrifying honestly. xD Brothers in Grip indeed! seems like a fun idea, i'm already interested and will be looking more into it :D Whenever i have joint or body aches, i like to sometimes take diatamaceous earth ( like a teaspoon - tablespoon ) in whatever im drinking. it seems to help somewhat in general and even makes my dental health feel stronger. maybe the silica, calcium and magnesium is what does the trick. 

i heard that once we hit 30, our bones stops making calcium reserves and needs supplementing even more than young adults, but im not sure if im remembering that correctly.. though i wonder if its why we're more prone to back and joint issues in this day in age. 

What i find scariest about surgeries is the rare instances where people wake up before its over... and the couple of times where the surgeons didn't even notice the patient was awake.. until they've went through most of the hell.. *shivers* yish.. just no. x.x  

come to think of it though, when i did mainly high reps on low resistance, it didnt seem to provide any carry over until i threw in a few negatives at the end, then suddenly my hand power boosted somewhat. now im more into negatives xD 

Sorry about the late reply by the way! sometimes i don't even realize that days or weeks have passed before even blinking, then i check the time/date and am bewildered lol

I had never heard of diatamaceous earth before.

Calcium and magnesium are pretty important.

I guess it makes sense to supplement more as you get older.

Yeah I get that it's best not to think about those things.

I don't think high reps work that well for grippers I do like negatives but they can be pretty dangerous. 

They can work really well though.

No need to apologise man just reply whenever you want to.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I had never heard of diatamaceous earth before.

Calcium and magnesium are pretty important.

I guess it makes sense to supplement more as you get older.

Yeah I get that it's best not to think about those things.

I don't think high reps work that well for grippers I do like negatives but they can be pretty dangerous. 

They can work really well though.

No need to apologise man just reply whenever you want to.

i'm not sure what the first brand of the Earth supplement i had was called. something that ended with Labs ? it was introduced to me in 2016 when purchased in a 3 LB container and i began to hear how it does wonders ( but to make sure its Food Grade. the non food grade isnt safe for consumption ) i was hesitant for a while, but after some months was like " ah, heck with it lets try it " and the next day i had no unpleasant side effects, so it seemed like a winner xD 

Though i have heard that some who take it for the first time have detox symptoms, or even " the runs" at first, so anyone new to it should take a little caution. 

The whole high rep thing doesnt seem to differ much from just getting a shorter, more intense exercise from heavier ones. i've noticed the fatigue after is basically the same either way. What i like is how after a few days of supplementing every 24 hours, i don't have as much fatigue :D 

One trick i don't really try is using a leg to finish a negative close. i tried to but the angle just feels too awkward for me, plus i heard it can hurt the knuckles afterward due to the extreme force which makes a lot of sense. 

How is your day going so far? :D  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

You got it. Can’t mess around when it comes to balls. They where my first pair of grippers🤣

absolutely!  being as theres only two of them for each of us, there is no "strike three" to fall back on xD

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SkyHeart said:

i'm not sure what the first brand of the Earth supplement i had was called. something that ended with Labs ? it was introduced to me in 2016 when purchased in a 3 LB container and i began to hear how it does wonders ( but to make sure its Food Grade. the non food grade isnt safe for consumption ) i was hesitant for a while, but after some months was like " ah, heck with it lets try it " and the next day i had no unpleasant side effects, so it seemed like a winner xD 

Though i have heard that some who take it for the first time have detox symptoms, or even " the runs" at first, so anyone new to it should take a little caution. 

The whole high rep thing doesnt seem to differ much from just getting a shorter, more intense exercise from heavier ones. i've noticed the fatigue after is basically the same either way. What i like is how after a few days of supplementing every 24 hours, i don't have as much fatigue :D 

One trick i don't really try is using a leg to finish a negative close. i tried to but the angle just feels too awkward for me, plus i heard it can hurt the knuckles afterward due to the extreme force which makes a lot of sense. 

How is your day going so far? :D  

Damn then it is not for me I rarely get side effects from taking stuff but when I do it's usually not good haha.

I actually get more fatigued from higher reps.

1 set of 20 with a light gripper is all I can handle lol.

Damn I would never try to finish a negative close with my leg I already got hurt in the first few weeks of getting my very first gripper because I tried closing it with 2 hands and I couldn't so it ripped my hand open and bruised my palm.

I now realise that I shouldn't do negatives with a gripper that is WAY too difficult for me.

Attempts and singles work really well for me though I might try negatives again later down the road but I am not sure.

I had a normal day it's 11 pm here.

What about you?

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Damn then it is not for me I rarely get side effects from taking stuff but when I do it's usually not good haha.

I actually get more fatigued from higher reps.

1 set of 20 with a light gripper is all I can handle lol.

Damn I would never try to finish a negative close with my leg I already got hurt in the first few weeks of getting my very first gripper because I tried closing it with 2 hands and I couldn't so it ripped my hand open and bruised my palm.

I now realise that I shouldn't do negatives with a gripper that is WAY too difficult for me.

Attempts and singles work really well for me though I might try negatives again later down the road but I am not sure.

I had a normal day it's 11 pm here.

What about you?

Oddly enough, those who i know that tried the Earth supplement either do have those side effects or they dont. i guess its like a coin toss so to speak xD if you ever do try it though, just be cautious and begin with like, half a teaspoon or less. but if i dont take that, il just go for good ol calcium magnesium zinc supplements :D 

the high reps do seem tiring in a different kind of way, like more of a forearm pump for instance and it gets where i can't even squeeze a HG100 after that. its pretty rare that il do something like that anymore though.  yeah its .. something, how negatives can work. when i negative my PG300, i cant hold the handles closed together for even a second, but more like at an inch apart (sometimes less? ) as for just being able to close the handles with force, im currently taking on the GHP9 , but make sure its not recklessly. 

Wide set singles are like a 50 50 thing for me. sometimes il try them several times through the day, and sometimes il just stick with negs alone. 

Right now its almost 6pm! 5:48 to be exact :D its been pretty quiet for the most part , half sunny half cloudy, and now i can see the overcast of evening starting to roll in (we live in Florida) 

By the way... Yikes about your hand being torn x.x i saw that a couple of times on youtube where a ghp 9 - 10 tears skin and even causes a bleeding crack. im like... tripple ouch >.< 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SkyHeart said:

Oddly enough, those who i know that tried the Earth supplement either do have those side effects or they dont. i guess its like a coin toss so to speak xD if you ever do try it though, just be cautious and begin with like, half a teaspoon or less. but if i dont take that, il just go for good ol calcium magnesium zinc supplements :D 

the high reps do seem tiring in a different kind of way, like more of a forearm pump for instance and it gets where i can't even squeeze a HG100 after that. its pretty rare that il do something like that anymore though.  yeah its .. something, how negatives can work. when i negative my PG300, i cant hold the handles closed together for even a second, but more like at an inch apart (sometimes less? ) as for just being able to close the handles with force, im currently taking on the GHP9 , but make sure its not recklessly. 

Wide set singles are like a 50 50 thing for me. sometimes il try them several times through the day, and sometimes il just stick with negs alone. 

Right now its almost 6pm! 5:48 to be exact :D its been pretty quiet for the most part , half sunny half cloudy, and now i can see the overcast of evening starting to roll in (we live in Florida) 

By the way... Yikes about your hand being torn x.x i saw that a couple of times on youtube where a ghp 9 - 10 tears skin and even causes a bleeding crack. im like... tripple ouch >.< 

Haha thanks but I am not interested in trying it.

I get insane forearm pumps from grippers.

You are describing attempts that's what I do twice a week.

I take a gripper I can't close I try to close it and hold it in that position for as long as possible.

A negative is when you set a gripper you can't close then force it shut with 2 hands and hold it closed.

Some try to resist it while it's opening the hand but this CRAZY dangerous.

The holds are dangerous enough.

Wide sets are awesome but I prefer no sets.

Awesome I'd love to visit the US one day.

I just had a tiny bruise  luckily I didn't have any skin tears it was a small muscle tear though.

Damn ghp 9-10 probably cause insane skin tears the resistance is insane and from what I have heard the knurling is like the sharpest out there as well.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DevilErik said:

Haha thanks but I am not interested in trying it.

I get insane forearm pumps from grippers.

You are describing attempts that's what I do twice a week.

I take a gripper I can't close I try to close it and hold it in that position for as long as possible.

A negative is when you set a gripper you can't close then force it shut with 2 hands and hold it closed.

Some try to resist it while it's opening the hand but this CRAZY dangerous.

The holds are dangerous enough.

Wide sets are awesome but I prefer no sets.

Awesome I'd love to visit the US one day.

I just had a tiny bruise  luckily I didn't have any skin tears it was a small muscle tear though.

Damn ghp 9-10 probably cause insane skin tears the resistance is insane and from what I have heard the knurling is like the sharpest out there as well.

No problem , Friend :D forearm pumps feel kind of weird at first , like how the pulse within my wrists can be felt just by flattening my hands, but it goes away after a few minutes xD i keep getting the feeling that many reps to this sort of fatigue has some benefit that i can't put into words. i'm sure its good for circulation, since my heart gets going every time.

Hm... I do know why negatives with slow releases can be dangerous, but im curious about non-negative holds being dangerous o: is it because holding the handles in place wears more on the spring ? or is it for another reason that there is higher risk with it? 

I've only ever been to two states within my country. Florida and North Carolina , but i'd love to visit outside the U.S sometime too ! 

That kind of reminds me when a base of a finger becomes irritated after a lot of hard gripper work. but it doesnt stay forever. 

between my ghp 9 and 10, there doesnt feel to be a huge difference, but when i try to negative them, the contrast between both becomes very clear , since with the 9 im not too far off in crushing it between both sets of fingers/arms xD the knurling is pretty dang aggressive. sometimes i have to press with a bit of caution since it bites the palms. 

just ordered a cheap "150" gripper , since i miss doing reps to failure and forearm pumps :D its been a while since i had one like that as my current easiest is a "200" ordered two years back!

6 hours ago, SkyHeart said:

No problem , Friend :D forearm pumps feel kind of weird at first , like how the pulse within my wrists can be felt just by flattening my hands, but it goes away after a few minutes xD i keep getting the feeling that many reps to this sort of fatigue has some benefit that i can't put into words. i'm sure its good for circulation, since my heart gets going every time.

Hm... I do know why negatives with slow releases can be dangerous, but im curious about non-negative holds being dangerous o: is it because holding the handles in place wears more on the spring ? or is it for another reason that there is higher risk with it? 

I've only ever been to two states within my country. Florida and North Carolina , but i'd love to visit outside the U.S sometime too ! 

That kind of reminds me when a base of a finger becomes irritated after a lot of hard gripper work. but it doesnt stay forever. 

between my ghp 9 and 10, there doesnt feel to be a huge difference, but when i try to negative them, the contrast between both becomes very clear , since with the 9 im not too far off in crushing it between both sets of fingers/arms xD the knurling is pretty dang aggressive. sometimes i have to press with a bit of caution since it bites the palms. 

just ordered a cheap "150" gripper , since i miss doing reps to failure and forearm pumps :D its been a while since i had one like that as my current easiest is a "200" ordered two years back!

Yeah they do I also believe the metabolic fatique and increased bloodflow have benefits.

It's kinda odd they call a hold with a gripper you can't close a negative as well.

So if you have to force it shut and then hold it even without controlling the negative portion of the rep it is still called a "negative".

It isn't dangerous as long as you just let go of the handle as soon as it starts opening your hand.

So the moment it opens to something like a deep set you remove your fingers from the handle and let go.

My fingers feel pretty odd after training grip.

I'd love to get some GHP's I have no idea where to get them though without spending an insane amount of money on shipping.

Awesome!

Time to build some forearms! Haha

This video explains it in detail.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DevilErik said:

Yeah they do I also believe the metabolic fatique and increased bloodflow have benefits.

It's kinda odd they call a hold with a gripper you can't close a negative as well.

So if you have to force it shut and then hold it even without controlling the negative portion of the rep it is still called a "negative".

It isn't dangerous as long as you just let go of the handle as soon as it starts opening your hand.

So the moment it opens to something like a deep set you remove your fingers from the handle and let go.

My fingers feel pretty odd after training grip.

I'd love to get some GHP's I have no idea where to get them though without spending an insane amount of money on shipping.

Awesome!

Time to build some forearms! Haha

This video explains it in detail.

Firstly; thank you for the link :D i need to remind myself of these precautions/tips from time to time. i just tried a static hold on my black 250 which i guess is anywhere between a COC 2 - 2.5 (probably closer to 2.1/2.2 ) and was able to keep the handles touching in my right hand for about 17 - 18 seconds, but not as much in the left which i kinda expected xD

letting the handles go slowly does feel a little off, like it could bruise the tendons if that makes sense. then again letting the handles go really fast seems important so as not to jolt something. 

Funny you say that xD the reason i chose to invest in GHP's from their website is because their shipping is free , i guess since its american and im in the u.s. whereas captains of crush had a minimum shipping of about 8 dollars or so. i could have went to Amazon for the free shipping, but i heard that sometimes Mimic merchants slip into the retailer website and pose as officials. probably not the case for the listing i found on there, but i'm a bit too cautious for my own good. 

another brand i like to buy is Powerball grippers! they're a store based in Ireland who ships world wide, but they too have a bit of a shipping charge, but i like their design and colors :)  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SkyHeart said:

Firstly; thank you for the link :D i need to remind myself of these precautions/tips from time to time. i just tried a static hold on my black 250 which i guess is anywhere between a COC 2 - 2.5 (probably closer to 2.1/2.2 ) and was able to keep the handles touching in my right hand for about 17 - 18 seconds, but not as much in the left which i kinda expected xD

letting the handles go slowly does feel a little off, like it could bruise the tendons if that makes sense. then again letting the handles go really fast seems important so as not to jolt something. 

Funny you say that xD the reason i chose to invest in GHP's from their website is because their shipping is free , i guess since its american and im in the u.s. whereas captains of crush had a minimum shipping of about 8 dollars or so. i could have went to Amazon for the free shipping, but i heard that sometimes Mimic merchants slip into the retailer website and pose as officials. probably not the case for the listing i found on there, but i'm a bit too cautious for my own good. 

another brand i like to buy is Powerball grippers! they're a store based in Ireland who ships world wide, but they too have a bit of a shipping charge, but i like their design and colors :)  

You are welcome man.

Damn that is pretty good.

Yeah I get what you are saying.

Great grippers and free shipping nice.

Yeah I understand that.

Awesome I really want some CoC grippers but I have decided to get a loading pin,weights, a rolling handle and a pinch block first because I really want to be more well rounded.

I already have 5 Torsion spring grippers and 2 adjustables so that's enough for now haha.

I have heard of Powerball grippers I have no idea what they look like though.

• Like 1