My Notes, Thoughts, Training logs, etc

SkyHeart

Getting stronger at negatives, so i think thats signs of over all hand progress? I always include my fingers and center of palms in the exercise so as to train the joints involved in the big squeeze.. the big cheese mcsqueeze. (lol) 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Still not closing a "300" single handed yet, though i noticed some difference since training on negative closes with my GHP 9! progressing on shutting that between my arms :D If i had to guess, i would imagine this is how it goes for most cases. Mastering arm and body/shoulder power first, and then using that to help with mastering individual hand power, which is why it takes years for most of us to reach a specific level on grippers.. Looking forward to finding out in 2022, 23, 24 and beyond. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking of adding more static holds, where i can keep a gripper shut as long as possible (namely, beginning with my easiest "100" trainer ) going to see if that helps in the long run

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Questioning out loud: does anyone prefer static holds over reps, or vice versa when it comes to grippers?  im experimenting with both for variety, but do wonder which is better for strength and finger power.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SkyHeart said:

Questioning out loud: does anyone prefer static holds over reps, or vice versa when it comes to grippers?  im experimenting with both for variety, but do wonder which is better for strength and finger power.

I do Isometrics with 150 Heavy Grip gripper. Usually in form of Grease the Groove, multiple times during a day, 3-5 reps with iso close hold 3-5 seconds. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikhael said:

I do Isometrics with 150 Heavy Grip gripper. Usually in form of Grease the Groove, multiple times during a day, 3-5 reps with iso close hold 3-5 seconds. 

Thanks :D  I remember buying a pair of black "150's" when first getting into the sport. wore them out after a couple of years and miss them sometimes, despite being off brand

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2022 at 3:50 AM, mikhael said:

By the way, this tactic leads me to 5x 200lbs.

no idea how i never saw a notification, or that you replied on here. awful sorry about that. by the way, congratulations on how much progress you've made so far :D  

• Like 1

Had to find out further with experience how essential it is not to take on 1) too much too soon. 2) too heavy before warming up and 3) doing too many reps in a limited time window. apparently this can have an effect on the brain , judging by the subsequent sensation of pressure, and other mildly unpleasant symptoms.  back to my original training strategy i go 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SkyHeart said:

Had to find out further with experience how essential it is not to take on 1) too much too soon. 2) too heavy before warming up and 3) doing too many reps in a limited time window. apparently this can have an effect on the brain , judging by the subsequent sensation of pressure, and other mildly unpleasant symptoms.  back to my original training strategy i go 

Trial and error is all part of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Trial and error is all part of it.

absolutely! until recently i had this extreme mindset of wanting to somehow rep ghp 9s or 10s like theyre a Coc 2/2.5. but now im adding logic and practicality, realizing that such strength in this, or other categories can come at a price in the long run. so now i just want to grow as physically strong that is possible, but while staying in the "safe range" for internal organ health 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, SkyHeart said:

absolutely! until recently i had this extreme mindset of wanting to somehow rep ghp 9s or 10s like theyre a Coc 2/2.5. but now im adding logic and practicality, realizing that such strength in this, or other categories can come at a price in the long run. so now i just want to grow as physically strong that is possible, but while staying in the "safe range" for internal organ health 

I know what you mean. You'll get there and I think the longer (to a certain extent) it takes the better it is for your body. Do you do anything else beside closing grippers? Even basic calisthenics would help you get there.

I have some goals, once I reach them I will have new ones. But I'm training smarter now, because I want able to lever heavy hammers and lift the inch until I physically cant.   With any luck I'll have the big one while lifting the inch.🤣 My gramps bought the farm in the beer aisle of a grocery store... 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I know what you mean. You'll get there and I think the longer (to a certain extent) it takes the better it is for your body. Do you do anything else beside closing grippers? Even basic calisthenics would help you get there.

I have some goals, once I reach them I will have new ones. But I'm training smarter now, because I want able to lever heavy hammers and lift the inch until I physically cant.   With any luck I'll have the big one while lifting the inch.🤣 My gramps bought the farm in the beer aisle of a grocery store... 

that does make sense ! since i'm more of the adventurous type, i find that just training casually every day/ every other day keeps the momentum and sense of excitement going, since i don't wait very long, but i don't keep going all in and causing a burn out. building up just enough of a pause for the anticipation to keep it's fuse extending if that makes sense.  as for training by other means, i used to use a combination of body weight, and dumbbells, until a couple of minor, albeit permanent injuries that keep me from continuing , so as not to further the severity of said condition. ironically; thanks to those injuries, i found that i love grippers way more than all other exercises ( but yes, that is all i use nowadays xD )  im getting closer to meeting the handles of my GHP9 (assisted of course ) then my next goal will be assisted closes with the GHP10. and once i finally shut my "300" one handed, to the "350" itll be next. 

i feel like i should purchase a CoC 3, or GHP 7 sometime, since the handles on those are wider :D  i haven't searched much into heavy hammer exercises, but golly they seem like a challenge in their own category. i respect anyone whos taking on them. thats mainly for coordination and wrist strength, right? cheers in advance for us reaching our milestones ! :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SkyHeart said:

that does make sense ! since i'm more of the adventurous type, i find that just training casually every day/ every other day keeps the momentum and sense of excitement going, since i don't wait very long, but i don't keep going all in and causing a burn out. building up just enough of a pause for the anticipation to keep it's fuse extending if that makes sense.  as for training by other means, i used to use a combination of body weight, and dumbbells, until a couple of minor, albeit permanent injuries that keep me from continuing , so as not to further the severity of said condition. ironically; thanks to those injuries, i found that i love grippers way more than all other exercises ( but yes, that is all i use nowadays xD )  im getting closer to meeting the handles of my GHP9 (assisted of course ) then my next goal will be assisted closes with the GHP10. and once i finally shut my "300" one handed, to the "350" itll be next. 

i feel like i should purchase a CoC 3, or GHP 7 sometime, since the handles on those are wider :D  i haven't searched much into heavy hammer exercises, but golly they seem like a challenge in their own category. i respect anyone whos taking on them. thats mainly for coordination and wrist strength, right? cheers in advance for us reaching our milestones ! :) 

Go get an 8lbs sledge and start using it.  You wont regret it. Part of the reason I got into grip was, my lower back always gave me issues. But thanks to stretching almost everyday for the past few years, its so much better.

Cheers 🍻

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Go get an 8lbs sledge and start using it.  You wont regret it. Part of the reason I got into grip was, my lower back always gave me issues. But thanks to stretching almost everyday for the past few years, its so much better.

Cheers 🍻

I'm going to look into them since i'm curious now, thanks! :)   

also, do you still experience back discomfort , or has it fully subsided? theres been a few occasions over the course of like, 10 years in which i'd lift something in an awkward angle and it caused the muscles of the lower back to pull , which made way for about 3 days of annoying pain. nothing agonizing, but it makes life harder. can't imagine what it must be like for someone who has to experience it for part of their entire life. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SkyHeart said:

I'm going to look into them since i'm curious now, thanks! :)   

also, do you still experience back discomfort , or has it fully subsided? theres been a few occasions over the course of like, 10 years in which i'd lift something in an awkward angle and it caused the muscles of the lower back to pull , which made way for about 3 days of annoying pain. nothing agonizing, but it makes life harder. can't imagine what it must be like for someone who has to experience it for part of their entire life. 

Once in awhile I do seem to mess it up. But knock on wood i've been real lucky. I try to go about things much smarter now.. I used to go through similar things like you, at work i'd bend over for a little and my back would hurt for a few days. But I suffered from sciatica terribly from ages 17-24 i'd say. I've gotten it a few times since but nothing like those years.  People thought it was crazy someone so young could have it but nerves don't care if you are 5, 25 or 85... 

But i stretch a lot, every night I can, and sometimes a morning session if i have time.  Greatest thing I ever started doing.  Me and my siblings could never touch our toes.. I was determined to be able to touch my toes, it took a few years but i can now lock my knees back and touch the floor if i'm warmed up enough.   I tell everyone to stretch now because its improved my life in every way possible.. Just 10-20 minutes a day.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Once in awhile I do seem to mess it up. But knock on wood i've been real lucky. I try to go about things much smarter now.. I used to go through similar things like you, at work i'd bend over for a little and my back would hurt for a few days. But I suffered from sciatica terribly from ages 17-24 i'd say. I've gotten it a few times since but nothing like those years.  People thought it was crazy someone so young could have it but nerves don't care if you are 5, 25 or 85... 

But i stretch a lot, every night I can, and sometimes a morning session if i have time.  Greatest thing I ever started doing.  Me and my siblings could never touch our toes.. I was determined to be able to touch my toes, it took a few years but i can now lock my knees back and touch the floor if i'm warmed up enough.   I tell everyone to stretch now because its improved my life in every way possible.. Just 10-20 minutes a day.

There does seem to be a misconception about age and injuries doesn't there? Like, some have been conditioned to believe that one won't end up with "this condition" or "that one" until hitting some oddly specific number. i guess its understandable since theres so much mainstream information, numbers and researches spilling into our ears from wake to sleep. i'm very glad that you're able to avoid suffering compared to the past. ive noticed even dull pain can ruin a whole day. 

i tried some upper body stretching a couple of times today briefly; and.. i have to say, i felt a big difference. hard to explain, but my posture and walking was much more straight and confident! thanks for the reminder my Friend :D  

my grandmother has advised me many times to incorporate stretching for health reasons. as a teenager i didn't get why, but, every year i understand more and more. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SkyHeart said:

There does seem to be a misconception about age and injuries doesn't there? Like, some have been conditioned to believe that one won't end up with "this condition" or "that one" until hitting some oddly specific number. i guess its understandable since theres so much mainstream information, numbers and researches spilling into our ears from wake to sleep. i'm very glad that you're able to avoid suffering compared to the past. ive noticed even dull pain can ruin a whole day. 

i tried some upper body stretching a couple of times today briefly; and.. i have to say, i felt a big difference. hard to explain, but my posture and walking was much more straight and confident! thanks for the reminder my Friend :D  

my grandmother has advised me many times to incorporate stretching for health reasons. as a teenager i didn't get why, but, every year i understand more and more. 

My grandma calls me every morning at 6:15am. She thinks I’m crazy for bending steel. She encourages  partying, drinking and smoking though lol.  I can very easily get swayed that route!

It makes such a huge difference. I’m a very intense person naturally so I think stretching is even more important for me. 

Once you start levering let me know what you think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey guys word of advice ,stretching is a good thing no matter what age you are. The more flexible you are now the better you'll be when you're an old man like me . stay flexible nothing wrong with stretching

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

My grandma calls me every morning at 6:15am. She thinks I’m crazy for bending steel. She encourages  partying, drinking and smoking though lol.  I can very easily get swayed that route!

It makes such a huge difference. I’m a very intense person naturally so I think stretching is even more important for me. 

Once you start levering let me know what you think.

Ha, seems fitting somehow xD im all for beer and wine. tried smoking a few times but never could get into it. i used to like heavier alcoholic drinks but mellowed out in the last couple of years since i find that its easy for such substances to sneak up on me and last well into the next afternoon. thats great how the two of you communicate frequently! i hope shes staying safe and jolly :D 

i'll definetly update you whenever i get ahold of a lever, and il be adding stretches into my routine for sure! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey guys word of advice ,stretching is a good thing no matter what age you are. The more flexible you are now the better you'll be when you're an old man like me . stay flexible nothing wrong with stretching

the fact that stretches feels so relieving when first getting out of bed should have told me how beneficial it is xD but im one of those people who register something very late or longer than average 

• Like 1

I can tell i'm getting stronger, both in my arm/setting , and finger power ! the "300" is feeling easier, and i can almost assist shut with the help of a thumb/index rather than my other whole hand/arm. inching closer to shutting my ghp9 with the assistance of my other whole hand/arm as well. 

• Like 2

ever since i started exercising more cautiously and ensuring i have sufficient blood flow, my results are changing for the better, and its only been a week if even. im really liking what i see so far