RIP legendary strongman and wrestler George Tromaras

Terry Conjugate Iron

I felt the need to post it on here since we all seem to enjoy the strength culture. I'm also sure most of you haven't heard of him since this type of athlete in Greece was non existed when he was starting. And sports like powerlifting, strongman and grip are still very niche, even to this day. 

He traveled abroad countless times  performing feats of strength like:

Pulling several cars with his teeth while walking backwards, pulling huge trucks in the same fashion. 

Bending iron bars, ripping phone books in half, strapping people on a head harness and doing reps with their bodyweight while driving nails through wooden boards. 

But he was so much more. Multiple wrestling champion in Greece and abroad, visited schools and sent out positive vibes to young kids about exercising and staying healthy. 

In the early 70s he organized his own bodybuilding and powerlifting contest Mr Hellas where he completed a 350kg squat, 220kg bench and a 350kg deadlift. This is at a time where powerlifting wasn't even a thought here and even today people don't really know about the sport, aside from a very small circle of people. 

There's so much more honestly. Lots of pictures online luckily. He was neglected by the State much like a few other great strength athletes that were born here. 

His son has followed his path and is a powerlifting champion, a great young man who will continue his legacy. 

We were supposed to do a meet at their gym next month to honor his life, obviously that's canceled for now. 

When it happens I'll be ready to honor this great man. I also started a tribute video for him in December, with the help of his son, I'll be done in a month or so. 

I'll post it when its up on my channel. It'll be in English, I want the world to know about him. 

tromaras.jpg

Edited by Terry Conjugate Iron
  • Like 5

Such a great loss . 

• Sad 1

Looking forward to the tribute video

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

I felt the need to post it on here since we all seem to enjoy the strength culture. I'm also sure most of you haven't heard of him since this type of athlete in Greece was non existed when he was starting. And sports like powerlifting, strongman and grip are still very niche, even to this day. 

He traveled abroad countless times  performing feats of strength like:

Pulling several cars with his teeth while walking backwards, pulling huge trucks in the same fashion. 

Bending iron bars, ripping phone books in half, strapping people on a head harness and doing reps with their bodyweight while driving nails through wooden boards. 

But he was so much more. Multiple wrestling champion in Greece and abroad, visited schools and sent out positive vibes to young kids about exercising and staying healthy. 

In the early 70s he organized his own bodybuilding and powerlifting contest Mr Hellas where he completed a 350kg squat, 220kg bench and a 350kg deadlift. This is at a time where powerlifting wasn't even a thought here and even today people don't really know about the sport, aside from a very small circle of people. 

There's so much more honestly. Lots of pictures online luckily. He was neglected by the State much like a few other great strength athletes that were born here. 

His son has followed his path and is a powerlifting champion, a great young man who will continue his legacy. 

We were supposed to do a meet at their gym next month to honor his life, obviously that's canceled for now. 

When it happens I'll be ready to honor this great man. I also started a tribute video for him in December, with the help of his son, I'll be done in a month or so. 

I'll post it when its up on my channel. It'll be in English, I want the world to know about him. 

tromaras.jpg

We are so proud of this great legend! He will be an inspiration for many many more generations!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Karl said:

good post. always seemed strange to me the lack of recongition in strength sports by the greeks since they invented the olympics. I remember when still wrestling the bronze medallist at the worlds in 2001 was a greek guy called xenophon koutsioumpas. Thats was a pretty tight field, it was the year after karelin resigned,  xenophon was not a big heavyweight but he out techniqued quite a few of the giants. without looking it up probably the best result by a greek heavy in decades. I asked some greeks in my country if they had heard of him and they didnt even know greece had a wrestling team. Not sure if he would be known in greece itself. Anyway, good to see this sort of post, bravo.

He was indeed very successful and from what I've heard a good dude. I believe his brother also wrestled. Although I love the sport, I can't say I know our wrestlers that well, my focus being on powerlifting/weightlifting/strongman and grip mostly. But as far as the strength culture goes, we're terrible.

People are just not drawn to strength here. It's very niche. Everybody gravitates to soccer mostly and basketball. And I'm a huge basketball fan myself, I'm just talking statistics. 

You got the secondary and lower leagues here paying their players 600-1500 euro per month, covering their medical. And you have some very successful strength athletes having to work 2 jobs in order to pay bills and support their passion. 

I know this, since I've had to work 2 jobs and train for several years and do everything else needed in order to be a top 3 powerlifter in the regional level here and on abroad. 

Personally, I'm doing the best I can via my YouTube channel and social media to bring Greek strength culture to the rest of the world. And hopefully in a couple of weeks, I'll get back to completing my tribute video on this great man, Tromaras. 

Appreciate the comment. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Emmanouil Marizas said:

We are so proud of this great legend! He will be an inspiration for many many more generations!

We have the obligation to continue his legacy 💪💪

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

We have the obligation to continue his legacy 💪💪

We have a great inspiration to do it!

• Like 1

Sounded like quite the man. I'm sorry for your loss. The community has lost a few the past few months.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Sounded like quite the man. I'm sorry for your loss. The community has lost a few the past few months.

He was a tank. Lost 2 people very dear to me this month. Year started pretty badly. Let's just see how things go from here. 

Appreciate it.