Which Coc's to get first

Karl

You should get as many as possible. I recommend you start with T to #2.5. You could skip the #.5 and/or the #1.5, neither is necessary to have, however they could be good to have of course but you don't need them to bridge gaps. Doing volume with the T and the #1 will work for progression.

85 kg on dynamo is pretty good. I also misread your first comment, thought you said 80 lbs rows but it was in fact curls.

You should get the same grippers I recommended I think but you should add the #3 and #3.5 also. And definitely skip the #.5 and #1.5.

Buy: T, #1, #2, #2.5, #3 and #3.5.

You could skip the trainer and buy the #.5 instead or skip them both. However I think it's good to have a light resistance gripper for warmups. But you could warmup with the #1 also. If you want to save some money and space, buy some good chalk instead maybe.

COCs are great, but knowing what I know now. I'd by the Vulcan by David Horne, or even the Ivanko Super Gripper before I'd buy COCS, unless you care about getting certified.  

I have them all up 2.5, and i don't have the sport one. They are great... They are THE standard. But the Vulcan V2 has so many more adjustments, then you can buy the thumbscrews to train your thumbs... which in all honesty spring clamps would do, but there are a few other things you can do with the thumb screws.

I bet you could close a 1 for sure, probably the 1.5 easy and give the 2 a run for its money, from the sounds of it. No matter which route you go, the only thing you're gonna loose is money. 🤣

So to answer your question, i'd buy as many as you can afford. At least .5,1, 1.5 and the 2.. Even if you are strong enough to close a 2 right off the bat, your tendons still probably aren't.

Edited by Blacksmith513

I first got the 1, 1.5 and 2. Could close the 1 and 1.5 right away and the 2 after about a week of practice. You are stronger than I was. If you can only get 2 I would do the 1 and the 2. I still use the 1 for warm ups ever time I do grippers and if you can’t close the 2 for 10 reps you probably won’t close a 2.5 anyways.

I have never warmed up with anything easier than a #1 and the difference between the 1 and the 1.5 is barely noticeable. You probably will need a 2.5 before jumping up to the 3 though.

Edited by Nuttgens

My usual protocol is if you're a strong guy who has been deadlifting for a while or arm wrestling for a little while i usually prescribe the 1.5, I've usually been right on the mark, If you're not quite as advanced i usually tell them to get the 1, But like most guys here have said get as many as you're financially able to get, But in my humble opinion the 1.5 would be the sweet spot for strong guys

• Like 1

#1 is a great gripper for off day warm-ups or at the end of your heavyset just to kinda wind down.

But Jermiah is Right the 1.5 or even the 2 would be perfect for you 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Karl said:

thanks fellas for the replies. I will get a 1 and 2 to start and post up how I go. 

Can't say much more than the guys above. What I'll advise you to do though, is get a light gripper for warm ups. 

The hand contains small muscles and the forearm gets a lot of stress through daily stuff. I'm a couple of millimeters from closing the 3 and I still start at the lightest one they have. 

So I'll do a few nice and easy closes with the Guide, Sport, Trainer etc. And move up to whatever I wanna do that day. I've had multiple injuries and I tend to be meticulous with my warm ups. 

I'm not saying do 10 reps per hand with each gripper. But 2-3 reps with a minute rest between the lighter ones will fill the muscles with blood in their length. 

Proper warm up = less chances of injury. Longevity. 

• Like 1

I purchased the 1 & 2 closed them both straight away I was around 40 at the time but have worked with my hands all my life they did not do the .5 increase back then. If I was going to start my grip collection all over with cost playing a major part I would get a trainer if postage does not play a big  part in the cost I would just stick with that one gripper for a month or so getting your setting correct and used to working with a gripper.

I would then depending on how many reps you can do either a gripper around 85 and 100 RGC. I would not waste time just buying grippers unless you get a reference on how hard they are to close as I feel you just waste time and money. You would after all not buy lumps of iron to lift without knowing the weight why do it with grippers.

This then brings about the point Blacksmith513 makes in getting an adjustable within a much finer tolerance the RGC has been worked out for them or you could look at the Standard adjustable that CPW make / sell which covers 4 steps within one gripper.

Edited by Busa
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

I always tell people at any strength level that you can't go wrong with the trainer, the 1 and the 2.

The trainer is a good warmup no matter where you're at, the 1 is the next step (why bother with the 0.5), a 2 would be a good goal for a beginner or to crank out volume for an intermediate, and this set will tell you at what point you're ready for the 2.5 then 3 and so on.

But for quality I would recommend the equivalent GHP's, they're so much nicer, but I still mainly train on Ironmind cause I have more already, it's also the most common "gold standard" to compare to that everyone knows what it is 

• Like 1