Left turn

John Knowlton

I got my left turn grippers from Iron Mind.

have not open them yet ( life happen)

what should I Inspect? Do they feel deferent 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

I got my left turn grippers from Iron Mind.

have not open them yet ( life happen)

what should I Inspect? Do they feel deferent 

If your asking what makes them different I believe the spring is would the other direction making it feel more comfortable in the left hand. I have never held one though so I don’t know.

That’s what I thought too. I can’t wait to get home and open them up and try them

• Like 1

Inspect if you close them or not, it's really hard to see since the handles are painted black. Unless you can feel the handles touch :D  

• Like 1

Hey nice! Which ones did you get? What resistance? 

Hey Terry I got the trainer the number one the two and the three.

have not got a chance to play with them yet. Hopefully today I can open them start to Grip them.

If it all works out tomorrow I’ll take them to the shop and rate them.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Terry I got the trainer the number one the two and the three.

have not got a chance to play with them yet. Hopefully today I can open them start to Grip them.

If it all works out tomorrow I’ll take them to the shop and rate them.

Nice... Haven't seen those up close. Think they used to sell them at the Godz of Grip website. But now that they exited the EU I got customs waiting lol. Can't make a move anymore. Not worth it I guess. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have the left turn 1 and 2 and love them. Feel so much better than regular wound in my left hand. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I'm trying to understand this. Looking at my normal CoC#1, whichever way I turn it the handle sits away from my fingers in the left hand and toward my fingers in the right. So I'd basically be getting the opposite and that's what makes it easier?

The issue is that springs are not symmetrical. Torsion springs can be either left-wound or right-wound. 

To muddy things up, the branding of "Left-Turn" is confusing because they actually have a right-wound spring. "Normal" grippers have a left-wound spring. That's where I prefer to call common grippers normal and the others reverse-wound. It is a little more clear. 

When you use a left-wound (normal) spring in your right hand, the handles close more linear directly toward each other. When you put that same gripper in your left hand, you have to work against the improper skew to bring the handles together. It could cause a normal gripper to feel slightly harder, or at least more awkward, in your left hand. As with everything else, it seems some people are more sensitive to this than others. I have never really felt too much of a difference. 

image.png.b2066770169cbf918d09ba0fae87d07d.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Cannon said:

When you use a left-wound (normal) spring in your right hand, the handles close more linear directly toward each other. When you put that same gripper in your left hand, you have to work against the improper skew to bring the handles together. It could cause a normal gripper to feel slightly harder, or at least more awkward, in your left hand. As with everything else, it seems some people are more sensitive to this than others. I have never really felt too much of a difference. 

This makes sense to me. My #1 closes so asymmetrical that it might as well be filed. I'm literally closing it a few mm further because the highest points on the handles miss each other.

• Like 1

I think it feels like it makes more difference than it actually does, and can be somewhat useful for training closes as the final part is marginally harder due to the alignment. The left turn feels worse in my right hand than my regular grippers feel in my left, but that is probably due to having had to train that way for years before getting a left handed gripper

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slipshod said:

I think it feels like it makes more difference than it actually does, and can be somewhat useful for training closes as the final part is marginally harder due to the alignment. The left turn feels worse in my right hand than my regular grippers feel in my left, but that is probably due to having had to train that way for years before getting a left handed gripper

I'm doing a bit of experimentation here, and I think it has more to do with individual copies. I think I just have a #1 with bad, weirdly angled handles. If I hold the bottom handles level on my Trainer and my #1, if the #1 is on the right the top handles have a noticable gap at the end. If the Trainer is on the right, the gap is smaller and it's on the spring side. I get the same results if I line my #1 up beside my Gold. If I line my Trainer beside my Gold, the top handles are more or less flush all along the way. I wonder if someone like Matt would be able to tell me if oddball copies like this are occasionally seen, I could try and demonstrate with a picture.

Left Turn would not be my 1st choice for my next gripper, if it turns out the problem I am experiencing is just unique to this one copy. I am left handed, but a CoC#2 that's similar to my #1 in terms of shape would pretty much be a paperweight.

• Like 1