Mark Felix Crushing an Apple?

Hubgeezer

My son just texted me that he saw an Instagram short clip that disappeared of Mark Felix crushing an apple. Anyone see that or know how to link it? 

Felix has a good grip. I imagine the way his hands are built, the apple crush would be child's play. Still, I would think it would be a cool clip to see. Felix may not be a "grip guy", but he is good for the sport. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

My son just texted me that he saw an Instagram short clip that disappeared of Mark Felix crushing an apple. Anyone see that or know how to link it? 

Felix has a good grip. I imagine the way his hands are built, the apple crush would be child's play. Still, I would think it would be a cool clip to see. Felix may not be a "grip guy", but he is good for the sport. 

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=1718507031681716&_rdr

Mark crushing it 2 minutes into the clip!

• Like 4

Jesus it looked like he palm crushed it too which is even more insane

• Like 3

Damn… if only he had tried the GM150 or something similar… his hands are super huge + he‘s insanely strong, he would probably(definitely) squeeze some mad numbers on such a dyno 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

Here is a nice video of Mark Felix  @ 2:35 must have been a cool moment for you judging his WR on SB. He is still amazing and is 55!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

Here is a nice video of Mark Felix  @ 2:35 must have been a cool moment for you judging his WR on SB. He is still amazing and is 55!

You may be the only one in the world who knew that was me as the judge. I remember Andrew Durniat wondering "Mark Felix? Winning that event?", as he was competing that day and Mark was not known for having gripper power. 

Towards the end of his hold, I called for the stopwatch to stop, but it turns out he dropped it just as I was saying that. Both the judge and Dr. Strossen asked "why did you do that?". I said that the flesh on his hand was so massive that the gripper was being held in a manner that I did not believe was in the spirit of the rules. The judge thought I was crazy, and Dr. S went back and studied his own photos, said I was right, and changed the rules on the Silver Bullet a little. Specifically, Rule #5 had new language after Mark's inaugural record that day. 

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 5

one of the greatest ever 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

You may be the only one in the world who knew that was me as the judge. I remember Andrew Durniat wondering "Mark Felix? Winning that event?", as he was competing that day and Mark was not known for having gripper power. 

Towards the end of his hold, I called for the stopwatch to stop, but it turns out he dropped it just as I was saying that. Both the judge and Dr. Strossen asked "why did you do that?". I said that the flesh on his hand was so massive that the gripper was being held in a manner that I did not believe was in the spirit of the rules. The judge thought I was crazy, and Dr. S went back and studied his own photos, said I was right, and changed the rules on the Silver Bullet a little. Specifically, Rule #5 had new language after Mark's inaugural record that day. 

That is awesome history!

Mark is a super strong guy and a great person as well. Had a chance to meet him in Iceland at the Giants live contest in 2015 if I remember well. 

Still is a beast. Crazy deadlift for his age 

• Like 3

On 1/19/2022 at 4:35 PM, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Mark is a super strong guy and a great person as well. 

I agree. My own personal story that still makes me giggle is from the day of the inaugural Silver Bullet event in a contest. I had some grippers backstage for  warming up(no one thought to bring any), and Mark came by while I was squeezing a 3, as I wanted to give the SB a try after they were done. I had it down to maybe 1/8 of an inch.

He holds his hand out and says “Which one is that?”, and I said “It’s a 3.” In the video, you can see what I look like, and he looks at me, practically stunned, and says in that quasi-high pitched Caribbean accent of his, and says: “ A THREE?”, followed by a “You have a good grip”…he took an old PDA gripper of about a 1.5 to warm up…

The next year, he remembered me, and I had a friend take a nice photo of us together. 

As far as I was concerned, “A THREE??” from Mark Felix was the best “Strength” compliment I ever received.👌

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

I agree. My own personal story that still makes me giggle is from the day of the inaugural Silver Bullet event in a contest. I had some grippers backstage for  warming up(no one thought to bring any), and Mark came by while I was squeezing a 3, as I wanted to give the SB a try after they were done. I had it down to maybe 1/8 of an inch.

He holds his hand out and says “Which one is that?”, and I said “It’s a 3.” In the video, you can see what I look like, and he looks at me, practically stunned, and says in that quasi-high pitched Caribbean accent of his, and says: “ A THREE?”, followed by a “You have a good grip”…he took an old PDA gripper of about a 1.5 to warm up…

The next year, he remembered me, and I had a friend take a nice photo of us together. 

As far as I was concerned, “A THREE??” from Mark Felix was the best “Strength” compliment I ever received.👌

Nice. I don't think Mark Felix trains grip besides the Hercules Hold. Unlike Brian Shaw who does train his grip. Here is another story of grip. I remember back at MENA grip comp 2019 Dr. Randall Strossen told me how Mike Burke incredible grip was found. He said there was a big grip comp and Mike was there helping. So when it was time for the RT they had like 250 pounds or something and he was suppose to remove them off the venue. He went over and lifted it with one hand, no chalk, no prior specific grip training, and moved it from point A to point B in few attempts. That is awesome story and I totally believe it.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Nice. I don't think Mark Felix trains grip besides the Hercules Hold. Unlike Brian Shaw who does train his grip. Here is another story of grip. I remember back at MENA grip comp 2019 Dr. Randall Strossen told me how Mike Burke incredible grip was found. He said there was a big grip comp and Mike was there helping. So when it was time for the RT they had like 250 pounds or something and he was suppose to remove them off the venue. He went over and lifted it with one hand, no chalk, no prior specific grip training, and moved it from point A to point B in few attempts. That is awesome story and I totally believe it.

That doesn't surprise if it did happen. He has massive hands 

10 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

The best contest "article" I ever wrote was Burke in the LA Fit Expo in January, 2013. It appeared in the June 2013 MILO. Burke just plain blew everyone away. I was amazed, and put a lot of effort into the article. I think he set three world records that day (Rolling Thunder, Viking Fishing Pole, and Silver Bullet. MILO lowered their prices to about a third of what they used to be. It is an issue worth having. 

I think it was at the Arnold in March of 2014, that Burke competed in the Mighty Mitts. The best in the world were there: both "grip guys" we know, and Strongmen good at grip. Burke, unlike most everyone else, had never touched anything close to the specialty gadgets that Richard Sorin had for the guys in the contest. My memory is that Burke did not lose a single event, not one. I think he retired from grip and Strongman in 2015, after his 5th place in the World's Strongest Man contest in 2015. 

In January, 2014, I asked him how long he had been lifting weights, and he held his hand, and I said "Five Years?? That's all?", to which he said yes. I asked him how long he was going to do Strongman, and he said "as long as my knees hold up". I believe that as a Framing Contractor, he had to get back to his business, as he had a wife and two kids to support...

The guy never came close to hitting his potential. 

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Hubgeezer said:

The best contest "article" I ever wrote was Burke in the LA Fit Expo in January, 2013. It appeared in the June 2013 MILO. Burke just plain blew everyone away. I was amazed, and put a lot of effort into the article. I think he set three world records that day (Rolling Thunder, Viking Fishing Pole, and Silver Bullet. MILO lowered their prices to about a third of what they used to be. It is an issue worth having. 

I think it was at the Arnold in March of 2014, that Burke competed in the Mighty Mitts. The best in the world were there: both "grip guys" we know, and Strongmen good at grip. Burke, unlike most everyone else, had never touched anything close to the specialty gadgets that Richard Sorin had for the guys in the contest. My memory is that Burke did not lose a single event, not one. I think he retired from grip and Strongman in 2015, after his 5th place in the World's Strongest Man contest in 2015. 

In January, 2014, I asked him how long he had been lifting weights, and he held his hand, and I said "Five Years?? That's all?", to which he said yes. I asked him how long he was going to do Strongman, and he said "as long as my knees hold up". I believe that as a Framing Contractor, he had to get back to his business, as he had a wife and two kids to support...

Yeah Mike was another exceptional guy. Seemed like a good fella too. Got in the game around 2010 if I remember well. Imagine with so little training, he got so high in the sport. 

I remember they did a short about him in one of the WSM finals, showing him climb roofs and work, I thought: that's hard to do especially for a man his size. 

• Like 2

On 1/22/2022 at 4:50 AM, Hubgeezer said:

Sure and amazing story btw! Just to be sure before buying it, is it this one https://www.ironmind-store.com/MILO-Jun-13-211/productinfo/1282-21.1/ ? And what do you think about this one https://www.ironmind-store.com/MILO-Sep-13-212/productinfo/1282-21.2/ ? Is it worth buying too?

3 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Sure and amazing story btw! Just to be sure before buying it, is it this one https://www.ironmind-store.com/MILO-Jun-13-211/productinfo/1282-21.1/ ? And what do you think about this one https://www.ironmind-store.com/MILO-Sep-13-212/productinfo/1282-21.2/ ? Is it worth buying too?

It is.  I think it may be the most "grip centered" issue of MILO they ever had. I don't remember what was buried in some of the photos, but there were a few more grip-related items than the table of contents indicate. And, with the slashing of prices for the magazine, it is reasonably priced. There were some decent photos in the Contest article, which was the debut of Alexey in America. I think Randall/IronMind paid for Alexey to come to the States. What you will not read there, or anywhere, because I have never told it to anyone before, is the following. Big Rich from Carolina was supposed to compete, but he was a last minute no-show. As I was walking into the Convention Center, I introduced myself to Mike Burke, who was walking in at the same time as me (competitors got to enter the place about half hour before the Public). Burke did not remember me from six months earlier, but he did after that day. Anyway, we were walking along, and he told me Rich was not coming. He was pissed!! Burke is/was the sort of guy who liked to compete against the best. He was ranting and raving, very upset. I was disappointed because I wanted to be part of a contest that could be "historic". I gave a copy of the MILO with the article on Burke (June 2013 issue) to Burke. He read it before the contest, and said "Good article, Mike". Well, if I read a magazine article saying how great I was, I would have said "Good Article" too!😆

• Like 2

On 1/19/2022 at 5:19 PM, Alexander Koss said:

Damn… if only he had tried the GM150 or something similar… his hands are super huge + he‘s insanely strong, he would probably(definitely) squeeze some mad numbers on such a dyno 😀

I've done a hand comparison with his and his were a good inch an half longer an the GM150'S max width setting is far too narrow for me so it wouldn't be able to accurately display his strength unfortunately.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 5:44 AM, Hubgeezer said:

It is.  I think it may be the most "grip centered" issue of MILO they ever had. I don't remember what was buried in some of the photos, but there were a few more grip-related items than the table of contents indicate. And, with the slashing of prices for the magazine, it is reasonably priced. There were some decent photos in the Contest article, which was the debut of Alexey in America. I think Randall/IronMind paid for Alexey to come to the States. What you will not read there, or anywhere, because I have never told it to anyone before, is the following. Big Rich from Carolina was supposed to compete, but he was a last minute no-show. As I was walking into the Convention Center, I introduced myself to Mike Burke, who was walking in at the same time as me (competitors got to enter the place about half hour before the Public). Burke did not remember me from six months earlier, but he did after that day. Anyway, we were walking along, and he told me Rich was not coming. He was pissed!! Burke is/was the sort of guy who liked to compete against the best. He was ranting and raving, very upset. I was disappointed because I wanted to be part of a contest that could be "historic". I gave a copy of the MILO with the article on Burke (June 2013 issue) to Burke. He read it before the contest, and said "Good article, Mike". Well, if I read a magazine article saying how great I was, I would have said "Good Article" too!😆

I just ordered 25 milo's haha. Can't wait to read them. As for the story, I've read/heard it before. It might've been you, or someone else you told. But I am sure I heard about Burke being upset that Rich Williams did not come.

On 1/31/2022 at 3:51 PM, Paul Savage said:

I've done a hand comparison with his and his were a good inch an half longer an the GM150'S max width setting is far too narrow for me so it wouldn't be able to accurately display his strength unfortunately.

The new GM150 is very wide too. Will surely fit anyone's hand now except the freak out of the freaks.

43 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

I just ordered 25 milo's haha. Can't wait to read them. 

Uh-oh. Putting pressure on me. I sure hope you like them! 🥴

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

Uh-oh. Putting pressure on me. I sure hope you like them! 🥴

Trust me I will like them! You always have good stories to tell Mike!