Bending Quest 2.0

Viking

Nearly 20 years ago as a high schooler I documented some of my bending progression here on the Gripboard. The log still exists in the archives. Several months ago I resumed bending after a 15 year hiatus, smashed my ancient PRs after a few weeks, and have rekindled the fighting spirit of Man vs. Steel. I'm very glad to see how the sport has evolved over the many years. What people are bending these days is insane!!

I'll start here with Bending session #8 and continue to post my workouts and progress.

Saturday January 15, 2022

Woo! Took down a grade 8 bolt. Huge milestone. Also first session using Ironmind pads. Definitely feels much tighter and protective than cotton OR towels!

6 x 1/4 grade 2 bolt
6 x 1/4 plt steel
5 x 1/4 round CRS
60d nail
6 x 1/4 grade 5
6 x 5/16 grade 2
60d nail
6 x 1/4 (triangle) grade 8 (PR!)
6 x 1/4 square CRS

Moved the 4 x 1/4 round CRS a good bit more. So hard to grip that thing.

Videos: 

Pe2d1jySTAl9vMa61bEDTJpYEYpa5e56v8qDdHptc7s-2048x1536.jpg.8e3429c922af5850a340dd1d9f0906c8.jpg

P7FDvfuuhDnCXv-ikpZ8XXkR2nuaGS_wP6WEmxtDuSY-2048x1836.jpg

Edited by Viking
add video
  • Like 6

On 1/18/2022 at 5:12 PM, Viking said:

Nearly 20 years ago as a high schooler I documented some of my bending progression here on the Gripboard. The log still exists in the archives. Several months ago I resumed bending after a 15 year hiatus, smashed my ancient PRs after a few weeks, and have rekindled the fighting spirit of Man vs. Steel. I'm very glad to see how the sport has evolved over the many years. What people are bending these days is insane!!

I'll start here with Bending session #8 and continue to post my workouts and progress.

Saturday January 15, 2022

Woo! Took down a grade 8 bolt. Huge milestone. Also first session using Ironmind pads. Definitely feels much tighter and protective than cotton OR towels!

6 x 1/4 grade 2 bolt
6 x 1/4 plt steel
5 x 1/4 round CRS
60d nail
6 x 1/4 grade 5
6 x 5/16 grade 2
60d nail
6 x 1/4 (triangle) grade 8 (PR!)
6 x 1/4 square CRS

Moved the 4 x 1/4 round CRS a good bit more. So hard to grip that thing.

Videos: 

Pe2d1jySTAl9vMa61bEDTJpYEYpa5e56v8qDdHptc7s-2048x1536.jpg.8e3429c922af5850a340dd1d9f0906c8.jpg

P7FDvfuuhDnCXv-ikpZ8XXkR2nuaGS_wP6WEmxtDuSY-2048x1836.jpg

Terrific bending session! Great job taking down that G8!🤙🤝🤙

• Like 1

Despite feeling highly energetic and motivated, the strength wasn't fully there today. In fact, after last Saturday's session, I attempted another on Sunday! Only managed a G2 6 x 1/4 warmup bolt and a 60d before calling it. Another mid-week attempt was similarly unsuccessful. Truly need to be patient and achieve full recovery between sessions. Also, some weeks back I strained my left medial deltoid which is still causing some pain. Again, patience!

Today, Jan 22:

Before bending, I tore a deck of 56 cards.

• 6 x 1/4 G2 hex bolt
  • 60d nail
  • finished a 6 x 1/4 G5 way off center
  • attacked a 6 x 5/16 G2 but could only get a kink today
  • took a 6 x 1/4 G8 to 60 deg but just could not summon the power for the sweep and crush
  • 60d nail way off center
  • attacked a 6 x 5/16 round HRS and gave it a wobble

Will have to take some proper rest before the next session. I have a feeling some big pieces are going down, plus my FBBC order will likely have arrived by then!

2019587893_IMG_5557(1).jpg.fab5bb51287e46ab03bf84fbec805f55.jpg

Edited by Viking
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

5 Feb 2022

Despite the deltoid having not yet fully healed the need to bend was too strong. In the morning I warmed up with a 6" 1/4 G2 bolt and two 60d nails, feeling decent. Hit some bigger pieces but couldn't get anything going. Then attacked a 6 x 1/4 G5 bolt and over a mighty struggle could only get it to 30 degrees. Will was strong but the strength wasn't there. Decided to call it and went on a vigorous 2.5 hr bike ride. 

After the ride I was feeling pumped up and motivated from watching Beyond the Bend podcast. Warmed up with a 6 x 1/4 brass, 6 x 1/4 plt steel, and two different 60s nails. Still didn't have strength to move the bigger pieces, but I was able to finish off the G5 from the morning with less of a struggle. Then, since the brass is too easy now, I decided to try snapping the remaining 8 x 1/4 piece I had left. Success! 

I have an assortment FBBC stock on the way, likely arriving this week. Would like to see if I can cert on something but my strength has been in the dumps as I cut weight for cycling season. Will have to make a strategic attack!

IMG_5647.thumb.jpg.f91454d87a627b0dec389deafe4a4b9f.jpg

Edited by Viking
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Back at it after taking about two weeks off. Attentions have been diverted from bending toward other endeavors. Doing some sledge work to keep strength as I diet hard for cycling. Had to shift focus anyway to allow the deltoid to heal and the hands to recover. Received some FBBC stock - 6 x 1/4 square CRS, 6 x 1/4 G8 bolt, 6.5 x 5/16 CRS and 6.5 x 5/16 hex. Also some leather pads. Today's bends were all in single leathers.

• (2x) 6 x 1/4 plt steel
  • (4x) 60d nails
  • 6 x 1/4 FBBC square... couldn't get any movement!
  • 6 x 1/4 G5 bolt... went down surprisingly quickly
  • 6 x 1/4 FBBC triangle G8... hit this sucker hard but could only get 5 degrees
  • (2x) 60d nails

Also cranked on a 6 x 5/16 round HRS that I had previously wobbled a few degrees to no avail. Got a good deal of isometric exercise out of all of this though. This session also may have been more effective if I hadn't done a fasted 2.5 hr endurance ride in the morning. Too much carb depletion. The mental factor is in a lull from the injury, and aerobic training, carb restriction, etc. is certainly affecting the peak strength. Down 20 lbs bodyweight in 5 weeks, so in a few more weeks hence I will be eliminating the restrictions to a large degree. Also, in about a month, easy access to a full gym. Hope to throw down some certs by the summer. Onwards and upwards!

2130498645_IMG_5731(2).thumb.jpg.84d91c0cfee236847d01cdb7ad182229.jpg

• Like 3

Felt the urge to slay some steel. Busy day at work, did a core session at home which pumped me up for some bending. 

• (5x) 60d nail
  • (4x) 6 x 1/4 G5 bolt

A few hard iso's (read: failed efforts) on some harder steel interspersed with the G5s. Definitely pleased with the work on the G5s. Takes me a lot of focus to overcome the spring back. 5th 60d nail I kinked to 30 deg reverse style before overhand, which is always a thrill. 

All done in single leathers... Which leads to some questions on wrapping. Back in the day, pre-YouTube, let's say, I'd just roll the bars in a dish towel. That dish towel was a mangled mess. I had IM pads, but I didn't 'get it' then. Since returning last year, I've learned to wrap properly (thanks Horrido) and have mostly been using IM pads. FBBC leathers for the past two sessions.

I've tried a few bends with double IM pads or leathers over IMs. The feel is quite different. The grip on the bar is much wider and the forearm pump greater. Is this just something to get used to? I can do reps on the CoC #2 but I feel out of control on the double wraps. Pain tolerance on the hands has not been a problem with singles, so perhaps doubles are not necessary at my strength? Or again, something to get used to...? I've mentioned that I'm a cyclist, so the upper body strength is somewhat neglected, and furthermore I have a non-union left clavicle from a trauma 7 years ago (hence the deltoid injury), so a wee bit unbalanced up top. Also, as a cyclist, pain tolerance is part and parcel of the sport. Is playing with double wraps advantageous at all right now? 

I appreciate any feedback. Cheers!

1668997166_IMG_5750(2).thumb.jpg.b5fadab0b9f438081abdb31615db5d9e.jpg

• Like 1

Here's my opinion: double pads are easier. You gain more leverage, can start with your hands in a better position and pain goes away down. 

If doubles don't feel comfortable I'd suggest cutting a pair of wraps in half and doing 1 1/2 wrap. I personally use Ironmind pads and 1/2 suede. They feel really good and I use them the most probably but I'm stronger in doubles with  leather and suede. 

Again, that's just my opinion. 

• Like 1

Thanks stranger... I was considering trying the 1.5 wraps. That may split the difference nicely. I'll give it a go for the next session.

24 Feb 2022

Wanted to bend, so I did. After work picked up some new steel to work with since the FBBC stuff is ridiculous. 

• (2x) 6 x 1/4 round CRS 
  • 5.5 x 1/4 round CRS
  • 6 x 1/4 square plt steel
  • 6 x 3/8 aluminum
  • 6 x 1/4 stainless hex bolt
  • (3x) 6 x 1/4 G5 bolts

All single leather. Very much enjoy bending the grade 5s as they fight back the whole way and provide a great workout. 

512181689_image0(1).thumb.jpeg.adbc8b3cfe097a711aeab9db7eceaa6f.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Three weeks off from bending entirely to allow for some recovery and healing. Finally fired up and ready to bend again today. In the interim, a decent bit of road cycling, core work and playing around with a 10 lb sledge. Doing curls and deltoid work with the sledge certainly fed into the success of today's session. 

• (3x) 60d nail
  • 60d nail
  • 6 x 1/4 square plt steel
  • 6 x 1/4 square CRS
  • 60d nail
  • 70 degree kink into a FBBC 6 x 1/4 G8 bolt
  • 6 x 1/4 G5 bolt
  • (20x) 60d nail

First bends were in single leathers. The G5 had half IMPs plus leather. The 20 60d nails at the end were done rapid fire in half IMPs. After seeing a Beyond The Bend tip with Derek Graybill on the kink I was able to greatly improve my technique and blast through some volume. 60ds melt like butter now. Very pleased to be back!

volumeb.thumb.jpg.0061fe60c78adffcc6504f6e1bb8e61b.jpg

• Like 3

Awesome volume and great movement on the grade 8! Those things are really hard to crush down, super springy!

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 4:42 AM, stranger said:

Awesome volume and great movement on the grade 8! Those things are really hard to crush down, super springy!

Yea man, I've only finished one and I think that was sheer force of will because I was so stoked I got a solid kink. Since then I've not been able to muster the crush power. I'm not the strongest in upper body these days (road cycling background, though in school I was a shot putter) but I've been working at it and will soon have easy gym access. Perhaps I could also include some gripper crushes between bending to build up those muscle groups.

Another good session today while watching Beyond the Bend. Probably 90 minutes duration and a lot of good efforts. Technique in double overhand is gradually improving. I have a non-union left clavicle from a trauma 7 years ago, so that whole left side is considerably weaker, however the shoulder mobility is out of this world. Working longer steel will need to be a future focus as I struggle to generate power double overhand at 7" and beyond. 

• (3x) 60d nail
  • 6 x 1/4 CRS
  • 60d nail
  • 5 x 3/8 aluminum (crush fought back with vigor)
  • 60d nail
  • 6 x 1/4 G5 bolt
  • attacked a 6 x 1/4 FBBC square CRS for about 15 minutes. Managed 3-4 degrees kink. Wayyyyy tougher than the other 1/4 square stock I have.
  • (4x) 60d nail. Reverse or double-underhand. Wrap and go. Butter.
  • (3x) 6 x 1/4 G5 bolt. Attempted reverse, double-underhand and double-overhand. Not sure what kinks I got since I went on the attack like a savage. G5 reverse might be a fun foray as I build strength DO.
  • (3x) 60d nail. Crush with only palm pad.

Felt great. Did some hot-cold contrast water bath recovery afterwards... then I heard Josh Goldthorp talking about bending an IM yellow barehanded, so I cut a piece and took it to 15 degrees before admonishing myself for my lunacy, between bouts of laughter, and called it a day.

Will also be posting highlights on my instagram https://www.instagram.com/philamcm/

**Also added 2 sets of 5 reps with the CoC #2. 

IMG_5875.thumb.jpg.6e80123554cc5733e9fa62ab4da603ad.jpg

Edited by Viking
  • Like 2

I was mentally pumped for more bending yesterday, but the connective tissue said no. Everything was too whacked. Did a few 60d nails, attacked a G5 and knew it was time for rest. Perhaps another extended rest as I'm in the process of moving. Maybe Sunday I'll go for another tough session.

In the meantime, hearing of a feat involving tearing a bottle cap in half, I had some brews this afternoon (North Coast Old Rasputin) and seeing the cap on my desk, thought I'd give it a shot. Took almost 10 minutes, much of that time determining how best to do it. Hilariously fun since it is also so relatable to the common person.

bottlecap.thumb.JPG.05780d38d83395ea24c39a88cc7c22df.JPG

• Like 2

Spent all day yesterday moving... schlepped way to many boxes to warrant a bending session today, but when the will is there it is difficult to resist. Ended up being decent session since it's been about a week since the last one. 

• (4x) 60d nails
  • 6 x 1/4 square CRS... bent along the flat edge
  • Moved the 6 x 1/4 square FBBC bar to 6 degrees. Thought I might get it to go, but after 15 minutes of laying into it I set it down. Eatchalkgetbig has this bar at 515 lbs. No wonder it's being such a bastard. I think I have some technique issues on attacking over the top of the steel, laying into it with the deltoids and upper back rather than "chicken-winging" it down. Old habits die hard.
  • 6 x 1/4 G5 bolt
  • Attempted to snap a 7 x 1/4 CRS bar, but let it go after 15 minutes. Had I watched a 30 second clip of snapping beforehand I am certain it would've been easy. Improvised with a variety of techniques and got a fantastic workout, but the stupid steel is in one piece still. I think my bday present to myself next Saturday is going to be to settle some unfinished business.

IMG_5907.thumb.jpg.8a09ad6e99077e1ee139d3e00ffa5dbf.jpg

• Like 2

Nice work! I've been thinking about buying hex and square bars as well, must be really different from the round bars. 

I've decided to stick with DU and reverse until I have the mobility to do DO properly, but I also tried snapping a few days ago (HRS though). I've watched a few snapping videos before so I had an idea how to approach it, but it was still really tiring. I think the most attractive thing about it is that once you get it really hot, you just have to continue grinding regardless of fatigue, because if it cools down it becomes harder again. So with every resting period, I'm making a hard "trade".

• Like 1

Birthday session. Been thinking about this one for a week. After a vigorous 45 mins bike ride I began to warm up on some 60d nails. Blood flow fully activated and mental focus maximized. Threw down the Home Depot 6 x 1/4 square easy, then attacked the FBBC 6 x 1/4 square with no movement. Maybe (probably) he has tougher steel but also the psychological factor is strong. Maybe it's a mental thing.

Wrapped up a FBBC 6 x 1/4 G8 bolt in leathers and hit it. Sucker went down, barely, and with a fight. This was a great success, but I thought of a new direction... Regarding IMPs vs leathers, my problem is not pain tolerance... I'm a road cyclist. My life is about enduring and overcoming pain... for extended periods of time. So I switched from leathers to IMPs. Hit another FBBC G8 bolt in IMPs and took it down in about 30 seconds. Leathers have a bit of squish to them, so the force seems to be going into the squish and not the bolt. At this stage the roughness of the IMPs lends to better force transfer into the bolt than the leathers which tend to yield a bit. I'll have to explore this.

Attacked a 3rd G8 but was too neuro fried to get anything significant, plus I was still too stoked having bent two thus far. So I switched to a totally new arena: snapping.

First attempt was miserable and I about gave up, but upon observing the decay in the 60d nail, managed to finish it off after 10+ minutes. Then, having found a suitable technique, snapped four more 60d nails, each within 2-3 mins. Decided to call it there since my hands were toast and the Bday phone calls were taking over..

• Like 2

Received some ultralite horseshoes in the mail today and couldn't resist giving it a go. Post-work, no warm-up, just tore into it. Feeling strong. Took it beyond 180 degrees but then stalled hard. Struggled with the adductor crush down leg technique, but watched a number of videos to see how others were doing it. Still no luck. Set it down for about half an hour then realized maybe I could press it down further over the thigh to make the squeeze easier. Rolled up a more protective pad and managed to get more movement. Then the crush down was a matter of course. St. Croix ultralite 1. Hey, maybe those cyclist legs are paying off! 

• Like 1

A good Friday session. After hearting the horseshoe yesterday I was pumped to go again this afternoon. Warmed up with some 60d nails but wasn't feeling the greatest. Nevertheless, went on with a horseshoe bend, this time a St. Croix ultralite 2. No problems making the bend, but hearting it was futile. My inner thighs were so hammered from yesterday that I couldn't bring myself to crush it down, despite 10+ minutes of effort. Perhaps Sunday I'll complete the heart with that one.

Then did a 6 x 1/4 square CRS. Decent. Mostly along the flat edge. Wrapped up a 7 x 1/4 square CRS and hit it reverse style, getting about 10 degrees, before finishing it DO. This is still the Home Depot stock, not FBBC. 6 x 1/4 G5 bolt went down easily, so I then finished off two 6 x 1/4 G8 bolts I had previously given a good kink but failed on the sweep. Glad to be doing G8s like I was doing G5s a couple months ago.

Took another G5 bolt and gave a shot at snapping it. The movement is there and I don't think this is out of reach, but I need to rest up first because all this braced bending has my upper body beat to shreds. Finished up with snapping two 60d nails. It was taking me about 50% longer than before so I stopped with just the two. 

All bends were in single IMPs except the horseshoe which was in single leathers.

bend.thumb.jpeg.7e8f11625dc5b1df2e94fca336bbd428.jpeg

• Like 1

Awesome thread, and great work. Bending is crazy to me. Sheer barbarianism. How in the world did you rip a bottle cap in half?

• Like 1

Today's steel slaughter. Warmed up on some 60d nails to get the juices going. Bent and hearted a St. Croix ultralite 1. Then hearted the ultralite 2 I had straightened on Friday. Wow, the technique of horseshoe bending is a whole new world. Initial opening and press-down over the thigh are improving. The thigh crush for hearting has caused me the most problems, but I think I have better understanding after today's efforts. Mild adjustments in the hand angles on the end of the shoe make a huge difference in the force application. Another friggen' bending rabbit hole. Also my poor bruised adductors need to get used to this new strain on their fibers.

Hit a 5 x 3/8" aluminum for fun. The crush was serious! That's my weak point however. Then took a cut-down 5.5 x 1/4" G8 FBBC bolt to nearly 90 deg. I think that would've gone down if I didn't spend so much effort on the horseshoes beforehand. Performed the attempt under cert conditions with video but couldn't manage the crush. Capped the session on a positive note with a solid bend of a 5.5 x 1/4" G5 bolt in swift fashion. Improved my crush technique on this one. There are so many elements to coordinate in order to achieve a successful bend. On just the crush, laced fingers, wrists, arms, chest, shoulders, back, core, power position... firing all of these parts together in synchronicity... wow. Hats off to the top guys who have this dialed. Each day is a learning experience for me. Onwards and upwards! Also, all bends in single IMPs, horseshoes in single leathers.

IMG_5970.thumb.jpg.52f37ac34eaa443a3881cd1236fa6372.jpg

Edited by Viking
  • Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 10:21 AM, Jared P said:

Awesome thread, and great work. Bending is crazy to me. Sheer barbarianism. How in the world did you rip a bottle cap in half?

Thanks man. Definitely takes a barbarian mentality. In the sense that you have to go all-in on the effort. If it goes, you're thinking about the next bar. If it doesn't, you're fuming on the sidelines gathering strength for the next attempt. 

Here's my reply to your bottle cap question..

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Catching up from the past couple weeks. I've mostly been updating on instagram @philamcm Here is what has gone down...

April 13th

Short session mid-week. Three 60d nails for warm-up, then a 5.25 x 1/4 square bar I cut down from some stock. This stock is not as tough as FBBC. Then a 5.5 x 1/4 G8 bolt attempt under cert conditions. Couldn't muster the sweep and crush, but happy with the kink!

IMG_5998.thumb.jpg.a4f5dfd61daa7e15170d1745f91611d4.jpg

April 16th

After gripper warm-up with some reps on the #2, into the short steel. Three 60d nails to get in the motion, then a 5 x 3/8" aluminum for some crush. 6 x 1/4" G5 bolt went down in about 15 seconds. Wrapped up a Big Bastard (6.5 x 5/16" CRS) and put a 5 deg wobble in it! That's a 520 lb bar! So, went for another cert attempt on the 5.5 x 1/4" G8 but again got stopped right before the crush. Hit the 6 x 1/4" FBBC square I had prior kinked and the thing moved!! But again, stopped right before the crush. (That bar rates ~500-510 lbs). Stopped again with a regular G8, so switched to horseshoes, hearting a St. Croix ultralite 1 and 2 with great effort.

1708326407_image0(2).thumb.jpeg.88ac9166695d2c8a5466bba856061f75.jpeg

April 18th

Had an epiphany regarding kink technique after last session: Maximal supination of the wrists under the chin, knuckles rotated as forward as possible, really brings the shoulders and back to bear on the steel. Focused on that today...

Three 60d warm-ups, then a 6 x 5/16 G2 bolt. Folded off-center. Wrapped another. Easy. Wrapped a new 6 x 1/4 FBBC square, hitting it nearly a dozen times over a number of minutes to get it to about 45 deg. Thing hardly wants to move. Two more 6 x 5/16 G2 bolts. Then wrapped a 6 x 5/16 HRS that had been taunting me and took it to 70 deg! Next, a 6.5 x 5/16 HRS and melted it. Crush was a fight. Snapped a 60d for dessert. Very much enjoying the fight of the 5/16.

2030990596_image1(1).thumb.jpeg.6f9d8beda1865c2b7b62579cb6b9f1b1.jpeg