Training with fully chrome plated RB grippers - experience

Alex K

Hello guys,

I was wondering if any of you have had any experience training with fully chrome RBs, where the handles are also chrome. They look very cool, but I was wondering if the chrome plating was durable or if it comes off after some training. 🤔

A6DF0594-4B7F-44CB-9DAF-AA362B95418C.png.a410e3da4c0c5b13c683296465f38085.png

17 minutes ago, Alexander Koss said:

Hello guys,

I was wondering if any of you have had any experience training with fully chrome RBs, where the handles are also chrome. They look very cool, but I was wondering if the chrome plating was durable or if it comes off after some training. 🤔

I have no experience using chrome layered grippers myself but I have read a bunch of  Baraban Adjustable chrome version reviews and people were complaining about them getting metal splinters after using it so I'd assume that that would be the case with the chrome version of the torison spring grippers as well.

• Like 1

Yeah, I’ve read that as well!

4 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I have no experience using chrome layered grippers myself but I have read a bunch of  Baraban Adjustable chrome version reviews and people were complaining about them getting metal splinters after using it so I'd assume that that would be the case with the chrome version of the torison spring grippers as well.

But at the same time I’ve seen people like David Shamey work with them well so I was wondering if it was true for the knurled torsion spring handles as well (as far as I remember the adjustables are slightly different)

3 minutes ago, Alexander Koss said:

Yeah, I’ve read that as well!

But at the same time I’ve seen people like David Shamey work with them well so I was wondering if it was true for the knurled torsion spring handles as well (as far as I remember the adjustables are slightly different)

Then I would ask them if I were you since I don't know.

Just make sure you are 100% certain about the chrome layer not coming off because the people complaining about the splinters in the reviews were also saying that it hindered their training progress.

It would be a shame if that were to happen to you as well.

Edited by DevilErik

I have some experience with them, Think i wrote down my full opinion in my training log, They're probably gonna be replacing CoCs in my training for a good while, The thicker handles really appeal to me as well as the smooth feeling of the closing, They don't ramp up near the end like CoCs tend to do

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Alexander Koss said:

Hello guys,

And nah the chrome plating doesn't come off after training atleast for me, Even jostling against other grippers in my bag on the way to the gym, Its sturdy stuff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you very much @Jermiah Merciconah for the detailed review. I‘m very convinced now! I also talked to many more who trained with the chrome Baraban, and the chrome seems to stay there for life :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alexander Koss said:

Hello guys,

Alex I own the RB adjustable(chrome version I think) and I love it. It holds chalk and has the best knurling of any gripper I have ever used. Currently I own GHP, CoC, GG and Powerball grippers so between the 5 brands imo RB is by far my fav for knurling. To be fair it is an adjustable though and not the torsion spring RB's. I have never got splinters from mine either. It has good carryover to torsion sping grippers from my experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

I have some experience with them, Think i wrote down my full opinion in my training log, They're probably gonna be replacing CoCs in my training for a good while, The thicker handles really appeal to me as well as the smooth feeling of the closing, They don't ramp up near the end like CoCs tend to do

Where did you buy your RB grippers Jermiah? 

Honestly if the chrome layer doesn't come off and the carry over is there I would go for the adjustable.

I am a huge fan of adjustables but some people don't like them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Where did you buy your RB grippers Jermiah? 

I bought mine directly from Robert's shop in austria, It took a good month and a bit for them to get here since he had to make them and then ship them, Combined with personal troubles that came up

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

I bought mine directly from Robert's shop in austria, It took a good month and a bit for them to get here since he had to make them and then ship them, Combined with personal troubles that came up

Thanks for letting me know! Might be a good stepping stone to the MM1 and CoC 3 cert. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Thanks for letting me know! Might be a good stepping stone to the MM1 and CoC 3 cert. 

My RB 260 is definitely a bit harder than your average 3, It feels closer to the Cobalt so if you can close that from MMS or CCS you'd definitely be set for either set

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DevilErik said:

I am a huge fan of adjustables but some people don't like them.

I love my adjustable also. I like using it in tandem with the TSG grippers. Although I mostly try to use the TSG to get enough practice and strength. After studying all of the info I could find about the big 3 of adjustable grippers(ivanko, vulcan & rb) it sounds like many think the rb was the most similar feel to TSG grippers so that could explain the carryover I get. I also find I can train it in a way that hits my weak digits(pinky+ring finger) better which I think helps with the final close on the TSG grippers. Never tried an Ivanko or Vulcan but they look awesome. Specifically I'd love to try the wrist developer on the Vulcan. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

My RB 260 is definitely a bit harder than your average 3, It feels closer to the Cobalt so if you can close that from MMS or CCS you'd definitely be set for either set

Good to know. I use the chart at CPW for the RB's but even still there is quite a range between the rgc levels. I was curious about the 210 & 240 as they're more suited to my current strength levels. Could help get to the MM0 though same with the Standard Iron fe gripper. Too bad Robert Baraban doesn't offer a cert like GHP and CoC does. He could make it the 260 to a block set narrower than a IM credit card. 

• Like 1

They're at the top of my bucket list for sure. Some of the top European brands. Knurling seems harsh, which is good. I want it as gritty as possible. @Jermiah Merciconahhow does the knurling compare to the CoC? 

24 minutes ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

They're at the top of my bucket list for sure. Some of the top European brands. Knurling seems harsh, which is good. I want it as gritty as possible. @Jermiah Merciconahhow does the knurling compare to the CoC? 

The knurling on the chromed barabans is way sharper than CoCs, It almost approached Cannon Standard levels of sharp, Doing CCS on them is a treat because the handles just don't move

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

I love my adjustable also. I like using it in tandem with the TSG grippers. Although I mostly try to use the TSG to get enough practice and strength. After studying all of the info I could find about the big 3 of adjustable grippers(ivanko, vulcan & rb) it sounds like many think the rb was the most similar feel to TSG grippers so that could explain the carryover I get. I also find I can train it in a way that hits my weak digits(pinky+ring finger) better which I think helps with the final close on the TSG grippers. Never tried an Ivanko or Vulcan but they look awesome. Specifically I'd love to try the wrist developer on the Vulcan. 

I own both the Ivanko and the Vulcan I love them both the only problem I have with the Vulcan CROM spring is that it is impossible to set (for me).

So I bought the orange spring and I am going to train no sets with that.

I also got carry over from the Ivanko to my torsion spring grippers but I think that's because I only train No sets and Table no Sets I use the same "technique" on every single gripper.

The only difference is hand placement when it comes to the Vulcan and the torsion spring grippers.

I do "split the pinky" with my torsion spring grippers for example I just don't set it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

or do what I did and buy all three. Well the Vulcan was a gift, but its great. Also bought the thumb screws made by RB... I felt bad, would have preferred to by Hornes, but they don't make them any more and I really wanted something for the thumbs. The Wrist Developer is amazing, but EASE into it, I gave myself bad tendonitis, that still acts up a little, but its clearing up and then I'm really going to use it.  Believe it for not the wrist developer works the whole upper body.  The Ivanko, is also just a real nice, cheap simple device. If someone was to get into grip training, I'd tell them to buy that first if grippers interested them.

The Vulcan has helped with my set. Been using that for low reps, and the ISG for higher reps and warming my hands up.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

The knurling on the chromed barabans is way sharper than CoCs, It almost approached Cannon Standard levels of sharp, Doing CCS on them is a treat because the handles just don't move

That's how I like it too. I want them super rough. I haven't had a chance to see the Cannons yet but I'm sure at some point I'll be grabbing them. Buddy of mine paid 70 euro customs plus shipping plus the product... Which is insane but that's how Greece works with items shipped from the US 

• Sad 1