Dale Harder's Grip Fest

Clay Edgin

Thanks to Dale and Karel for allowing us into their home again for another day of gripping and lifting fun. My family and I had a blast. In attendance were Gorilla Hands (Dave) and his girlfriend, porkbone (Mike), my parents and sister, and me. Dale has a much better record of who did what, so I'll just post the things I remember and we can all fill in the blanks.

We started with the dynomometers. Dale did 83kg several times, porkbone did 80kg I think, I pulled 90kg with my left hand (my right hand was hurting a lot after my minor sprain tearing a phone book and then getting into a fight on Saturday). and Gorilla Hands pulled 102kg. Dave's girlfriend pulled 60kg once, and my sister's best squeeze was in the low-mid 50's I think. My dad also pulled in the 80's.

We moved downstairs to the basement and tried our hand at the Inch. Dave lifted it off the ground but was not able to get it to full lockout. I got one bell off the ground a few times but wasn't able to pick it up completely as well. My dad and Dale tried and couldn't get it either.

We did some rolling thunder after that, but everyone's grip was shot from doing the Inch. I don't remember any of the weights used. Nothing world class.

Next I think was the 1-rep chinup for max weight. Dale held a 50lb plate between his knees and convincingly pulled himself up for a complete rep. I did a rep with 25lbs between my knees. Dave was a gnat's ball away from doing a rep with 50lbs as well. My sister did one with 15lbs extra.

We also played with some blobs that Mike brought. Dave has started a new tradition with the Blobs, and I'll let the pictures and videos speak for themselves once they have been uploaded to the net. Mike got some good air under the 40lb blob. The rest of us weren't so lucky at the blobs that day.

I brought my FW bars, and we all did a few runs. My sister did 100 per hand for 50ft. Then we moved up to 130 and Dale and my sister did a run each, with Dale taking the weights approximately 130ft. After that, we moved up to 160's and my dad went back and forth a few times, I think for 100ft. Dave took them for a ride as well. I did 250 per hand for a warmup and then we added 50lbs on each implement to bring the total to 300lbs. To make things interesting, I used the 2" handles and walked 26ft with the weights. From there, things got really fun. We backed off the weight down to 250lbs per hand and, well, you'll just have to see the video. We're not quite sure what to call this feat, but there are a few names floating around.

Dave and Mike indulged us with some apple crushing, and Dave found his way into a soda can and a potato.

Afterwards, we did some dumbbell clean and presses. I did 7 reps with 75lbers and 1 rep with 100lbers, although I used my legs a little bit. Dale, Mike, and Dave should be able to recall their weights and reps. I also managed to snatch the 100lb bell a couple of times without dipping under the weight.

Then we witnessed Dave muscle through a respectable size phone book (1.5" I'd guess) and then I tore one that was about an inch thick.

Pics and videos forthcoming. Thanks again Dale!

Here are Dave's blob lifts:

Dave high pulling the blob

Dave pulling and kissing the blob

Clay's movies are in his gallery.

You covered just about everthing, Clay. You and Dave aren't far away from fully lifting the Inch, and your FW's were great. Dave's blob lifts were also excellent.

Dale's strength library is incredible. You could spend years going through it, and still not be any where near seeing it all. He also has a Lemley gripper which has a handle span of almost 4"!

All in all, a truly fun day. Can't wait to do it again! Thanks for putting it on, Dale.

I know you meant that as a pun, but Dale really does have a great grip. He consistenly squeezes above 80kg on the dynos. If I had an Inch replica in my basement like he does, I'd probably spend more time with it than my wife!

Just some more details about our grip meet. Kate Edgin, 19, 5'6, 140, squeezed 56 kg on the Baseline dynamometer, which is what an average man in his prime can do. She also farmer walked 130s for 50'. Clay's dad, also named Clay, at 43, 6'0, 269. who we called Papa Clay or Little Clay, did 181 RT--apparently my RT is about 20 lb tougher than the one they have at home. He also FW 160s for 75'. Clay, 23, 6'5, 304, aka Big Clay or "The Monster" was really impressive with his FW 300s for 26'. He also did one-arm rows with 100 for 9 reps, and then from a hang position, did a one-arm snatch to overhead, and one-arm pressed it for 4 reps with very little side bend. Dave Erives, aka "Gorilla Hands" best feat was lifting the Inch replica about 2" off the floor on the lowest side, and about 7" off the floor on the highest side. His next best event was probably the 102 kg on the dyno. He did get a bit into a potato but his hands were pretty fried by the time he got his chance. He also tore a drink can in half with the beverage still in it. His lifting the 50# blob to shoulder height and kissing it was a twist. Michael Wayne, 22, 5'11, 213, did quite well-he got an 87kg on the dyno, and heaved the 40# blob up pretty convincingly. Crystal Buchanan, Dave's girlfriend, closed a #1 gripper, but better yet did 62 kg on the dyno. This ties the second best mark I've ever recorded from a woman. The person she tied was Cherly Haworth, our Olympic lifting champ, who has clean & jerked 336 lb. Best mark for a gal is 70 kg by Beth Owens, a highland games athlete. All these marks on a Baseline hydraulic dynamometer, that retails at $320. Different brands and types make dyno marks hard to compare. We went at it for abou 5 hours--a most enjoyable day. :)

Here are Dave's blob lifts:

Dave high pulling the blob

Dave pulling and kissing the blob

Clay's movies are in his gallery.

You covered just about everthing, Clay. You and Dave aren't far away from fully lifting the Inch, and your FW's were great. Dave's blob lifts were also excellent.

Dale's strength library is incredible. You could spend years going through it, and still not be any where near seeing it all. He also has a Lemley gripper which has a handle span of almost 4"!

All in all, a truly fun day. Can't wait to do it again! Thanks for putting it on, Dale.

My windows media player would not play the blob videos.

You pretty much got it down as I remember it Clay. Except the phonebook you tore was closer to 1 1/2" and mine was 2" thick. Additionally I'd like to say Dale is one stout oldtimer. I knew my girlfriend had a strong grip, but she surprised the heck out of me. I should let her go at the Rolling Thunder from now on. Dale & Karel : Thanks so much for your hospiality and graciousness.

RSW, we were having a party and one of the guys there had a chronic case of LMD - Little Man's Disease. It is intensified when alcohol is involved. This guy felt like he had something to prove to a bigger guy and he had a big mouth, so... Unfortunately, since it was dark and I was only slightly drunk, I miscalculated my punch and hit him with my pinky and ring knuckles mostly. It was just a rookie move on my part. Still did the job though. Unfortunately, it made gripping anything painful. I will probably see a Dr. about it soon.

Was it one of those two hit fights??

You hit him....and he hit the floor?? ;);)

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

The owner of the gym(a female)jokingly calls that the Short D#&K Disease....for the bad attitude guys....angry at their 'short'comings :laugh:laugh:laugh

Open hand strikes work well and don't damage the hand. Especially when going for the noggin. ;)

-HH

Just some more details about our grip meet. Kate Edgin, 19, 5'6, 140, squeezed 56 kg on the Baseline dynamometer, which is what an average man in his prime can do. She also farmer walked 130s for 50'. Clay's dad, also named Clay, at 43, 6'0, 269. who we called Papa Clay or Little Clay, did 181 RT--apparently my RT is about 20 lb tougher than the one they have at home. He also FW 160s for 75'. Clay, 23, 6'5, 304, aka Big Clay or "The Monster" was really impressive with his FW 300s for 26'. He also did one-arm rows with 100 for 9 reps, and then from a hang position, did a one-arm snatch to overhead, and one-arm pressed it for 4 reps with very little side bend. Dave Erives, aka "Gorilla Hands" best feat was lifting the Inch replica about 2" off the floor on the lowest side, and about 7" off the floor on the highest side. His next best event was probably the 102 kg on the dyno. He did get a bit into a potato but his hands were pretty fried by the time he got his chance. He also tore a drink can in half with the beverage still in it. His lifting the 50# blob to shoulder height and kissing it was a twist. Michael Wayne, 22, 5'11, 213, did quite well-he got an 87kg on the dyno, and heaved the 40# blob up pretty convincingly. Crystal Buchanan, Dave's girlfriend, closed a #1 gripper, but better yet did 62 kg on the dyno. This ties the second best mark I've ever recorded from a woman. The person she tied was Cherly Haworth, our Olympic lifting champ, who has clean & jerked 336 lb. Best mark for a gal is 70 kg by Beth Owens, a highland games athlete. All these marks on a Baseline hydraulic dynamometer, that retails at $320. Different brands and types make dyno marks hard to compare. We went at it for abou 5 hours--a most enjoyable day. :)

:) Crystal wanted me to clarify the fact that she only closed a trainer at our meet, she had closed the #1 twice, once witnessed by Dave. She mentioned that her hands were too tired to have done it at this meet, since the grippers came after many other events. I might add that she did a RT of 101 with her right hand. :) Crystal, consider the record set straight.