DevilErik's Training Log

DevilErik

Hey guys my name is Erik and this will be my training log.

(Grippers and some dynamic pinch/thumbwork for now)

My Golden Grip Grippers aren't rated.

Stats:

Height: 6'4  (193 cm)

Weight: 265 Lbs (120 kg)

Hand size: 8.5" (21.5 cm)

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 3

Today: (Friday)

Warming up: 1 close with the golden grip 100 lbs gripper.

300 lbs  Golden Grip gripper : 4 No Set attempts I AM SO CLOSE

250 lbs Golden Grip gripper: 4 Table no set attempts

( First time training TNS with these grippers) 4 closes

Recovery:

3 sets to failure with extensor bands(reps).

2 sets to failure with extensor bands (holds).

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice looking gripper 

Thanks John!

Edited by DevilErik

Today's workout:

Ivanko Super gripper:

Warming up (always the same)

4 TNS attempts (10,12) 180 lbs RGC getting closer

4 TNS reps (4,12) 120 lbs RGC SUPER CLOSE

I can pretty much count them as reps but since I technically did not close them they count as attempts

Switched to TNS completely with the ISG because I caught myself cheating while doing no sets.

I accidentally kept turning my no set closes into assisted closes.

So now I won't allow myself to touch it with my other hand.

I have to change my frequency grippers 3x a week is just too much it is interfering with my recovery despite Wednesday being a light session.

Wednesday sessions also aren't productive at all I can't really train properly because I am still recovering from Monday.

Dynamic thumb work (pony clamp)

3x10 8 elastic bands (added an additional one for a total of 8

Imtug 2  pinch closes 3x10

Recovery: 

Extensor bands 3x reps to failure

2x holds to failure

20220117_164633.jpg

20220117_164810.jpg

20220117_164850.jpg

ay0q8e9veil61.png

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 5

Nice work. Cool that you posted pic of Ivanko as I have one but did not know how to figure out various levels.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kluv#0 said:

Nice work. Cool that you posted pic of Ivanko as I have one but did not know how to figure out various levels.

Thanks man I really appreciate it!

I started looking for the chart the day I got my Ivanko I ended up finding one with the factory ratings but after finding out what RGC was I really wanted to know the RGC ratings.

Several months ago I found a thread on here that said that Cannon had rated one.

That's when I went to Cannon's website and downloaded the chart.

• Like 1

I agree with Michael it's cool to see the ratings chart for the Ivanko SG. Also cool to see someone training it so frequently because it isn't as common as the TSG grippers. 

Given your huge hand size Erik you may do really well with the GHP grippers. They have a wide spread and sharp knurling. Not going to lie they may be a small fortune to ship to the Netherlands unfortunately. I think the new standard grippers from CPW are also quite wide on the spread. Also you must be getting close to certing on the 3 credit card set. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

I agree with Michael it's cool to see the ratings chart for the Ivanko SG. Also cool to see someone training it so frequently because it isn't as common as the TSG grippers. 

Given your huge hand size Erik you may do really well with the GHP grippers. They have a wide spread and sharp knurling. Not going to lie they may be a small fortune to ship to the Netherlands unfortunately. I think the new standard grippers from CPW are also quite wide on the spread. Also you must be getting close to certing on the 3 credit card set. 

I love the ISG  it is easy to recover from and I don't have to set it.

I would love to get some GHP grippers or the standard grippers from CPW.

I might be able to CCS a 3 already since I am a hair away from being able to No set my 300 lbs Golden grip gripper it is unrated though so I am not entirely sure.

My CCS is terrible though my no set is actually stronger than my CCS I am probably setting my gripper wrong because it feels like I am having to fight the gripper in order for it to not fully open my hand.

Setting also tends to hurt my finger joints and setting is also pretty difficult for me because I am a sub 300 bencher.

I have only really done higher reps so I simply lack the upper body strength as well.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

Today I decided to try and set some grippers for the very last time.

I wanted to be 100% certain about setting being completely useless for me before giving up on it completely and never attempting another set in my life.

I tried setting different grippers without actually closing them.

I started out with my Vulcan V2 with the CROM spring on the lowest setting.

I couldn't even budge it .

Ever since I've had to quit my resistance training completely all of my strength that's not grip related has been dropping like crazy.

After failing numerous times I decided to grab my lightest gripper (100 lbs unrated) and attempt to set it.

To my shock I couldn't even get my 100 lbs gripper to parallel.

I will never try to learn or attempt setting ever again what a waste of time.

Edited by DevilErik

The big trouble with sticking to TNS only is you're going to stall out very fast, Perhaps its your technique with setting that needs to be evaluated

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

The big trouble with sticking to TNS only is you're going to stall out very fast, Perhaps its your technique with setting that needs to be evaluated

I agree with you this is another reason why I really enjoy using the Ivanko Super Gripper I could get a third spring and the highest setting on that will feel just like a Coc 4 without ever having to set it.

I know that training MMS is THE best way to get stronger at grippers.

I just simply lack the strength or my technique is just piss poor.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

Its most likely just your technique that is poor, Since setting grippers takes advantage of all your prime mover muscles in your upper body, Chest tris shoulders and even biceps to an extent, I'd be curious to see how you set grippers

• Like 1

Just now, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Its most likely just your technique that is poor, Since setting grippers takes advantage of all your prime mover muscles in your upper body, Chest tris shoulders and even biceps to an extent, I'd be curious to see how you set grippers

I could make a video of me setting.

3 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I could make a video of me setting.

Yeah i'd be interested to see what you're doing

24 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Yeah i'd be interested to see what you're doing

It is pretty dark sorry about that but you can still see both the gripper and my hands.

I did this while sitting down but this is also the way I do it while standing.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

It honestly looks like you're positioning the gripper way too far back in your hand, Especially for setting those leverages are extremely poor, The closer your fingers get to the center of your palm the weaker they become from a mechanical standpoint, Can sorta tell by how far your fingers wrap around the gripper, I'd try positioning it a little closer to the first crease of the palm

7 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

It honestly looks like you're positioning the gripper way too far back in your hand, Especially for setting those leverages are extremely poor, The closer your fingers get to the center of your palm the weaker they become from a mechanical standpoint, Can sorta tell by how far your fingers wrap around the gripper, I'd try positioning it a little closer to the first crease of the palm

Oh I did not realise this was considered far back in my hand I thought this was "normal".

Thanks for the tip man.

My main issue is not knowing how to generate power through my other muscles in order to set the gripper you aren't actually holding on to the handle while setting so how is it possible to transfer that power into the set?

Edited by DevilErik

3 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Oh I did not realise this was considered far back in my hand I thought this was "normal".

Thanks for the tip man.

My main issue is not knowing how to generate power through my other muscles in order to set the gripper you aren't actually holding on to the handle so how can I get my power into the set?.

I'd say the most efficient way to get power into your set would be almost chest crushing it, I think Jedd went over it in his video with Juji, You position your finger and thumb like you're gonna set it but then get the gripper into a chest crush position, You'll be able to use more of your prime movers on it

My version of the set would be seen as more inefficient but because i have super strong biceps i kinda just row it closed

Edited by Jermiah Merciconah
  • Like 1

I'd say the most efficient way to get power into your set would be almost chest crushing it, I think Jedd went over it in his video with Juji, You position your finger and thumb like you're gonna set it but then get the gripper into a chest crush position, You'll be able to use more of your prime movers on it

My version of the set would be seen as more inefficient but because i have super strong biceps i kinda just engage row it closed

Thanks for your help man I really appreciate it!

I will give it a try and see if I can learn how to do that.

Strongman life haha

1 minute ago, DevilErik said:

Thanks for your help man I really appreciate it!

I will give it a try and see if I can learn how to do that.

Strongman life haha

It'll definitely take some getting used to, It took me several months of tweaking and perfecting to get my absolute ideal set down, Definitely sounds like a long time but its helped me get into the 170s

It'll definitely take some getting used to, It took me several months of tweaking and perfecting to get my absolute ideal set down, Definitely sounds like a long time but its helped me get into the 170s

You are mad strong man keep up the good work I am definitely looking forward to seeing some big closes from you in the future!

2 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

You are mad strong man keep up the good work I am definitely looking forward to seeing some big closes from you in the future!

Yeah cheers man, Strength is going up in an almost linear fashion since i got use of my right hand back

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Yeah cheers man, Strength is going up in an almost linear fashion since i got use of my right hand back

Good to hear!