New Steel Bending Certification | Eat Chalk Get Big

devinhoo

Launching a new steel bending certification today!

This has been in the works for a few months and I'm really happy to share it with everyone. The initial ideal was to come up with bars between IronMind and FBBC's nails, and evolved from there into a certification on it's own.

These drill rod bars cover a huge range of difficulty, and can be certified in every style so there is room for everyone to get on the leaderboards and keep climbing. There is even a "Bastard in Every Way" type cert for folks to demonstrate their strengh in different styles.

• 1/8" x 4" — Same length as a common 20d nail
  • 5/32" x 4.5" — Same length as a common 40d nail
  • 3/16" x 5" — Same size as the IM Green Nail
  • 7/32" x 5.5" — Between the IM Green and Blue nails in diameter and length
  • 1/4” x 6” — Same size as the IM Blue Nail
  • 9/32” x 6.5” — Between the IM Blue and Red nails in diameter and length
  • 5/16” x 7” — Same size as the IM Red Nail / FBBC Bastard
  • 1/3" x 7.5" — Roughly the same length as Horrido's bolts including the bolt head
  • 11/32” x 8” — Same diameter as the FBBC Duke of all Bastards, but 1" longer
  • 3/8" x 9” — Same diameter as the IM Gold Nail, but rounded up to 9"
  • 13/32" x 10" — Same diameter as the FBBC Emperor of all Bastards, but 3" longer
  • 7/16" x 11" — Same diameter as the FBBC Mother of all Bastards, but 4" longer
  • 15/32" x 12"

https://eatchalkgetbig.square.site/certification

Just like Jan's thread for his bolts, feel free to use this thread to ask questions, post cert videos, etc!

89C4D220-E423-4911-8156-988CC29D0F2F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.23f413b8ccec9e3935257f5e5e1adfcf.jpeg

Edited by devinhoo
  • Like 7

I set up a discount code for people to use! Now the code "gripboard" should get you 5% off all cert bars and bending stock. If you click this link it should be applied automatically as well. I really want to get cert bars into people's hands.

https://eatchalkgetbig.square.site?cc=gripboard

Additionally all of the starter kits i've been sending out have had unlabeled cert bars, and anyone who bought "drill rod training bars" was really buying cert bars before I had announced them. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, devinhoo said:

I set up a discount code for people to use! Now the code "gripboard" should get you 5% off all cert bars and bending stock. If you click this link it should be applied automatically as well. I really want to get cert bars into people's hands.

https://eatchalkgetbig.square.site?cc=gripboard

Additionally all of the starter kits i've been sending out have had unlabeled cert bars, and anyone who bought "drill rod training bars" was really buying cert bars before I had announced them. :)

So.  In general, I avoid bending because I feel like it injures me and indirectly offsets my progress and gains elsewhere (and bc I am over 50 and want to minimize abuse to my body and focus on my favorite training, grippers and pinch!).  

However.

I am a bit enamored by the idea of doing a little bending, sort of the way I am with card tearing.  Not gonna be a focus, not gonna progress there like I did with grippers, BUT.

I may try this.  Question:  at the entry level, easiest of your certs, what do those nails/bars compare to in difficulty?  About the hardest I have done is a 6-inch long 1/4 inch rod that I was told was roughly equivalent to a 60-d or blue nail (not sure if the person said one or the other or that those were same).  I can do the home depot timber tie six inch 1/4 inch ones also.  They might even be a shade easier.  So would I be able to get on the board with your easier ones?  That could be the gateway drug to pull me in a little beyond where I am already, although like I said, this won't become a focus because I think it is a bit more abusive than I am wiling to tolerate.

I do very much like this idea though, and would like to "get on the board" if it is easy enough, maybe go a level or two up if it works for me, and mainly just watch the others climb.  You and Tom and a few friends I know can probably do some impressive bends!

Edited by Vinnie

9 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

So.  In general, I avoid bending because I feel like it injures me and indirectly offsets my progress and gains elsewhere (and bc I am over 50 and want to minimize abuse to my body and focus on my favorite training, grippers and pinch!).  

However.

I am a bit enamored by the idea of doing a little bending, sort of the way I am with card tearing.  Not gonna be a focus, not gonna progress there like I did with grippers, BUT.

I may try this.  Question:  at the entry level, easiest of your certs, what do those nails/bars compare to in difficulty?  About the hardest I have done is a 6-inch long 1/4 inch rod that I was told was roughly equivalent to a 60-d or blue nail (not sure if the person said one or the other or that those were same).  I can do the home depot timber tie six inch 1/4 inch ones also.  They might even be a shade easier.  So would I be able to get on the board with your easier ones?  That could be the gateway drug to pull me in a little beyond where I am already, although like I said, this won't become a focus because I think it is a bit more abusive than I am wiling to tolerate.

I do very much like this idea though, and would like to "get on the board" if it is easy enough, maybe go a level or two up if it works for me, and mainly just watch the others climb.  You and Tom and a few friends I know can probably do some impressive bends!

I don't know anything about bending but maybe you could bend once a week and do the rest of your volume with a wrist developer that way you probably won't get injured and you will be able to do lots of volume without actually bending 90% of the time.

This obviously only works for reverse bending.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

However.

I tried to make give people as many options as possible. I know you're more of a "paperclip bender" but I saw you take down a Blue Nail at Tom's in IMP's which should be around 250-280 on the Krahling scale. The 7/32 x 5.5" bar should be around that same difficulty, but there's ones that even easier like the 1/8" x 4" that you could probably snap barehanded. I wanted to make sure there were options even if people's kids wanted to get on the cert page while also giving world class benders a challenge.

None of these cert bars are rated (yet), but based on other known ratings this is what I'm pretty sure the cert bars should rate.

579338877_certnumbers3.1.thumb.png.a9175f2617d9423887bc7d8164a88f54.png

Edited by devinhoo
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

I tried to make give people as many options as possible. I know you're more of a "paperclip bender" but I saw you take down a Blue Nail at Tom's in IMP's which should be around 250-280 on the Krahling scale. The 7/32 x 5.5" bar should be around that same difficulty, but there's ones that even easier like the 1/8" x 4" that you could probably snap barehanded. I wanted to make sure there were options even if people's kids wanted to get on the cert page while also giving world class benders a challenge.

None of these cert bars are rated (yet), but based on other known ratings this is what I'm pretty sure the cert bars should rate.

579338877_certnumbers3.1.thumb.png.a9175f2617d9423887bc7d8164a88f54.png

Thanks!  So I can probably do the first few, maybe I will do that then, just see how high I can go without taxing too much, for the fun of it.

• Like 1

lol "paperclip bender" - yes, that'd be me.

1 hour ago, DevilErik said:

This obviously only works for reverse bending.

I have only ever bent reverse, even when I did the blue nail Devin mentioned.  My wrists and arms do most of the work, not my chest, so I think reverse is the easiest for me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I have only ever bent reverse, even when I did the blue nail Devin mentioned.  My wrists and arms do most of the work, not my chest, so I think reverse is the easiest for me.

Awesome!

I think bending once a week and using the wrist developer for the rest of your volume will work well.

I definitely want to give reverse bending a try as well.

Edited by DevilErik

• 4 weeks later...

My buddy Kev ( @mindovermatter @Kev Paone ) and me both recently certified on theses bars. Kev did the 1/3x7.5 and I managed the 5/16x7 . These bars come shipped in good packing and the bars even have the ends burred ,to help save your pads. 

Gonna be really cool to see some of the monsters in here work their way up. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

My 1/3x7.5 certification from yesterday. Definitely the hardest crush I've felt. 

If you're new to bending or experienced, there's bars and styles for everyone on his sight. Definitely worth checking out. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

9/32x6.5 drill rod bent reverse grip.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, stranger said:

9/32x6.5 drill rod bent reverse grip.

Looked easy man!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice work

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

Looked easy man!!

Thank Devin! I got my eye on the 5/16 now. We'll see how that goes.