Steel Bending Training Log

Ole' Puller

1 hour ago, Ole' Puller said:

You're welcome my friend! The ghp grippers are fantastic .. excellent quality!

For a little while, I was conflicted between dipping into the GHP's, or Captains of Crush. Both are marvelous from what I have seen, but ultimately i leaned GHP because of their unbeatable Free shipping :D Course, one could venture to Amazon and have the same deal with the COC's , so my reasoning falls a little short there xD But aside from that, the GHPs do have a unique prettiness to them that resonates with me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkyHeart said:

For a little while, I was conflicted between dipping into the GHP's, or Captains of Crush. Both are marvelous from what I have seen, but ultimately i leaned GHP because of their unbeatable Free shipping :D Course, one could venture to Amazon and have the same deal with the COC's , so my reasoning falls a little short there xD But aside from that, the GHPs do have a unique prettiness to them that resonates with me

I find that the quality of heavy competition grippers to be very important. GHP grippers are very well made with nice knurling on the handles which I like. My favorite grippers are the Warren Tetting grippers, but they are no longer in production since his passing away. His son's may bring them back into production which would be great. Tetting created the Mash Monsters and Beef Builder grippers and he's truthfully the grandfather of heavy competition grippers. CoC grippers are also nice, but GHP's are a bit better in my opinion.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ole' Puller said:

I find that the quality of heavy competition grippers to be very important. GHP grippers are very well made with nice knurling on the handles which I like. My favorite grippers are the Warren Tetting grippers, but they are no longer in production since his passing away. His son's may bring them back into production which would be great. Tetting created the Mash Monsters and Beef Builder grippers and he's truthfully the grandfather of heavy competition grippers. CoC grippers are also nice, but GHP's are a bit better in my opinion.

I did wonder about the Warren Tetting grippers and whether there would ever be a chance of them being brought back. I like how there is still a site that can be visited that tells each level for the ones that were made. when visiting canonpowerworks.com, i noticed that the ghp10 and warren tetting zeus wern't that far apart in difficulty rating. So it makes me wonder how much more difficult the thor is. i'd love to try and condition myself for chest crushing with one of those if even possible. 

By the way, thanks a bunch for your replies and thoughts ! :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkyHeart said:

I did wonder about the Warren Tetting grippers and whether there would ever be a chance of them being brought back. I like how there is still a site that can be visited that tells each level for the ones that were made. when visiting canonpowerworks.com, i noticed that the ghp10 and warren tetting zeus wern't that far apart in difficulty rating. So it makes me wonder how much more difficult the thor is. i'd love to try and condition myself for chest crushing with one of those if even possible. 

By the way, thanks a bunch for your replies and thoughts ! :D 

Anytime my friend, thank you! Yes, Cannon Power works is the place for grippers! Check out his used gripper section which has some gems sometimes, but they go quickly!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Ole' Puller said:

Anytime my friend, thank you! Yes, Cannon Power works is the place for grippers! Check out his used gripper section which has some gems sometimes, but they go quickly!

They really do seem to vanish as fast as they appear xD like on Ebay last year, there was a listing for 2 beef builders that were being offered for hundreds of dollars, and shockingly, it wasn't long before even those were missing from the page o_o 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SkyHeart said:

They really do seem to vanish as fast as they appear xD like on Ebay last year, there was a listing for 2 beef builders that were being offered for hundreds of dollars, and shockingly, it wasn't long before even those were missing from the page o_o 

Oh yes, they go very very fast! You can subscribe to notices from Cannon Power Works via email. You'll be alerted of hot items! This is how they go so quickly. By subscribing you stand a better chance of purchasing a gem!

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Ole' Puller said:

Oh yes, they go very very fast! You can subscribe to notices from Cannon Power Works via email. You'll be alerted of hot items! This is how they go so quickly. By subscribing you stand a better chance of purchasing a gem!

Originally i was told about CPW by someone on youtube who used to upload his gripper progress every so often :D at first i only knew about the ratings of certain grippers, then didn't even notice they have a shop until later 😆 

how did you first discover bending nails? o: when i heard about it, i initially thought of the nails shaped like those used for carpeting until further searching :D 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SkyHeart said:

Originally i was told about CPW by someone on youtube who used to upload his gripper progress every so often :D at first i only knew about the ratings of certain grippers, then didn't even notice they have a shop until later 😆 

how did you first discover bending nails? o: when i heard about it, i initially thought of the nails shaped like those used for carpeting until further searching :D 

I was always fascinated by bending when I first saw an old time bodybuilder bending a horseshoe and then a thick piece of steel many years ago. I was totally amazed! Who knew many many many years later I would be doing the same! It's a great feeling!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ole' Puller said:

I was always fascinated by bending when I first saw an old time bodybuilder bending a horseshoe and then a thick piece of steel many years ago. I was totally amazed! Who knew many many many years later I would be doing the same! It's a great feeling!

Old time strength training seems like the best ! it seems to be much closer to hard, manual labor than modern gyms due to the movements of the exercises involved :D  functional strength i think its called right? I'm not knocking deadlifts or anything like that, i just mean compared to some of the new machines these days that are found in city fitness centers 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SkyHeart said:

Old time strength training seems like the best ! it seems to be much closer to hard, manual labor than modern gyms due to the movements of the exercises involved :D  functional strength i think its called right? I'm not knocking deadlifts or anything like that, i just mean compared to some of the new machines these days that are found in city fitness centers 

Yes, I agree! Old-time training and functional strength training is timeless. The old way is harder and it produces a stronger human being. Today's conveniences have caused mankind in developed countries to become weaker and prone to sickness. The old way is best!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ole' Puller said:

Yes, I agree! Old-time training and functional strength training is timeless. The old way is harder and it produces a stronger human being. Today's conveniences have caused mankind in developed countries to become weaker and prone to sickness. The old way is best!

I have noticed, since getting into grippers in may 2019, i haven't even had so much as a minor cold/flu since then. its the longest i've ever went without an illness and i feel like it has to do with those :D -knocks on wood-  xD i've seen glimpses of the new machines in modern gyms and it almost looks alien to me. only gear that looks familiar is dumbbells, barbells and maybe some cords for pulling

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SkyHeart said:

I have noticed, since getting into grippers in may 2019, i haven't even had so much as a minor cold/flu since then. its the longest i've ever went without an illness and i feel like it has to do with those :D -knocks on wood-  xD i've seen glimpses of the new machines in modern gyms and it almost looks alien to me. only gear that looks familiar is dumbbells, barbells and maybe some cords for pulling

I'm the same way my friend .. I prefer free weights, maces, kettlebells, grip training, bodyweight training, stones (which I'm looking to do much more of in the near future. To me foundational movements that offer strength to your everyday activities is the way to go.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ole' Puller said:

I'm the same way my friend .. I prefer free weights, maces, kettlebells, grip training, bodyweight training, stones (which I'm looking to do much more of in the near future. To me foundational movements that offer strength to your everyday activities is the way to go.

i've seen some of those leg pressing machines, and found a clip where a woman nearly had her legs crushed inward by it. i was like... yikes... x.x no way.. for some reason all those machines seem like potential traps. everything you named sounds awesome (never got ahold of kettlebells yet though) :) 

by the way, how have your last couple of days been pal? :D 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SkyHeart said:

i've seen some of those leg pressing machines, and found a clip where a woman nearly had her legs crushed inward by it. i was like... yikes... x.x no way.. for some reason all those machines seem like potential traps. everything you named sounds awesome (never got ahold of kettlebells yet though) :) 

by the way, how have your last couple of days been pal? :D 

Thanks my friend for asking. I remain laid back and as an older person I enjoy each day. What's important is the simple things in life .. the basics!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ole' Puller said:

Thanks my friend for asking. I remain laid back and as an older person I enjoy each day. What's important is the simple things in life .. the basics!

I couldn't agree more :)  i'll be 28 this year but am noticing already how small things seem to stand out more than the huge events/changes. like.. the smaller statements and actions just somehow stand out suddenly to me after a short or long delay.. does that make sense or not really? i sometimes am unsure how it sounds when illustrating a thought xD 

I'm very glad you and your loved ones are staying safe , as well staying content ^-^

• Like 1

"Kerckhaert SX7/ Training bend"
• Kerckhaert SX7 #2
• 1 1/2 leather wraps (1.39")
• 4 minutes 32 seconds

"Here's a quick look at an early morning training bend I completed on an SX7 Kerckhaert. Overall I'm glad I finished within the required time limit for a higher spot on Anton Sidén's Kerckhaert horseshoe bending certification process but it's still not satisfying enough for me. At 4:32, if I would've recorded the bend I would've met the time requirements but if anything had gone wrong, I would've failed! I NEED to finish inside of 3 minutes or less! Truthfully I need to spend more time bending shoes with reasonable volume, it's as simple as that! I'm going to stick to unbraced bending and horseshoes .. nothing else for now because there's only so much I can accomplish between work and training. It's time to scale down an prioritize my bending goals."🤙IMG_20220124_095431281.thumb.jpg.8a474b2d2cf8bf12d973c8d785db404a.jpgIMG_20220124_100635902.thumb.jpg.dbb4df1e0bb808196dfdafa8aa7c0401.jpgIMG_20220124_100053648.thumb.jpg.07c8bd65da6cefa4f7fba979fffa8da9.jpgIMG_20220124_100121179.thumb.jpg.4bc2382831f08d2fa691a9a10cd477db.jpg

• Like 1

"Single wraps training"
• Two 1/4 x 7 SS square bars
• Two M x 7 O-1 drill rod bars
• Single IMP's and Benders Battlefield wraps

"I'm just finishing up a single wraps training session that went great. During these single wrap sessions I spend time dialing in what I've gained from double wrap and isometric training. I'm very grateful for these productive workouts and like the saying goes.... If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
🤙🔥🔥🤙

IMG_20220127_131734616.thumb.jpg.3ad87c09c05a61bd7d8cb7d1fc568b2b.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ole' Puller said:

"Single wraps training"
• Two 1/4 x 7 SS square bars
• Single IMP's and Benders Battlefield wraps

"I'm just finishing up a single wraps training session that went great. During these single wrap sessions I spend time dialing in what I've gained from double wrap and isometric training. I'm very grateful for these productive workouts and like the saying goes.... If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
🤙🔥🔥🤙

IMG_20220127_131734616.thumb.jpg.3ad87c09c05a61bd7d8cb7d1fc568b2b.jpg

Hell yea brother! Nice work Marty!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stranger said:

Hell yea brother! Nice work Marty!

Thanks my brother! It was a good session and I'm also very pleased with how fast I was able to bend them to completion .. very grateful!

• Like 1

Single and double wraps training:

• 1/4 x 7 SS Square (single benders battlefield wraps)
• M x 7 O-1 drill rod (single benders battlefield wraps)
• Two 19/64 x 7 O-1 drill rod bars (double wraps)

"Today's training was a combination of both single and double wrap bends. After completing the first bend on a length of SS square, I moved on to a length of M size DR which was VERY stout! I've bent them in singles before so I knew this one was a cut above for sure! After the M x 7 DR, I double wrapped two 19/64's and fought them both, they were typically stiff and stubborn! The thing about O-1 drill rod is that it work hardens almost immediately. This is most noticeable with the bigger sizes and it makes for excellent training. A good, tough session today .. very grateful!"IMG_20220203_113638316.thumb.jpg.171b9f4333c9de1c0067dea4bb15bee7.jpgIMG_20220203_114430401.thumb.jpg.aa27548478b0c4ea6c6ffb218dece170.jpg

• Like 1

"Horseshoe bending"
• 2 Kerckhaert standard lite #1's
• Filed 1/4 of an inch for training
• Double wraps

"So the regular horseshoe bending sessions begin. For today's training I filed down 2 Kerckhaert SL#1's. Out of the box these measure 5 1/4" in length and I filed them down to 5" for training. I used double wraps for both bends and I'll be monitoring my time as well. My plan is to increase volume gradually and I'll need a variety of shoes to work with. I also want to increase the speed in which I complete a bend as well as honing in on solid technique. My final crush is weak, so I'm trying to utilize the legendary 'Milfeld Hop' which will allow me to use bodyweight and momentum in a downward forceful manner .. I definitely need the practice, but I like how it feels. All in all I was very grateful for today's training and I look forward to my future results!"IMG_20220207_081350124.thumb.jpg.d60560fee3528d07f6dbf3107ebd51ed.jpgIMG_20220207_081445971.thumb.jpg.4fc8457d2c7963825a60c4e810474688.jpgIMG_20220207_160325697.thumb.jpg.a8c3f7d93292df0e8d6fc8b1a58f93a9.jpgIMG_20220207_160549432.thumb.jpg.4d00cacb3cab7dff231d1867187f1cc1.jpg

• Like 1

Double overhand bending/ Single and fat wraps:

• Two 1/4 x 7 SS square bars (single wraps)
• 5/16 x 7 SS (Failed attempt)(fat wraps)
• 19/64 x 7 O-1 drill rod (fat & single wraps)

"Today's session had it's highs and lows but overall I'm very grateful. I banged out two 1/4 SS squares then ran into a brick wall disguised as a 5/16 stainless steel bar. I wanted to complete the bend but I felt it wasn't going to happen today. After a rest period, I slid a length of 19/64 drill rod into the wraps and completed that bend which made me feel good! I'll get back at that SS 5/16, I'll just have to work at it, but I'll beat that bar!"
💪👊〰️👊💪

IMG_20220210_075823584.thumb.jpg.5c711e6ad2432db0fbc624beeddc282f.jpgIMG_20220210_062510205.thumb.jpg.d9506938f8a88c1db7780155dc3ff065.jpg

• Like 2

Horseshoe bending

• 3 Kerckhaert SX7's
• Kink only

"Here's a look at some horseshoe training bends that I completed today. I kinked them and will place them down for the next session which will emphasize the sweep to final crush which I need to improve. By then they would've hardened significantly and will provide a high level of resistance. During this phase of the bend I'll not only be working on strengthening my weak areas but on solid technique as well."
🤙👊🤙

IMG_20220214_125309377.thumb.jpg.e57ec547b7c3e44eb53c46bbca3e37ad.jpgIMG_20220214_112400182.thumb.jpg.9ad8f038aba6186412fff804787e4bb1.jpgIMG_20220214_132237155.thumb.jpg.24345df1c072ec041d804c0df4307cdf.jpg

• Like 1

Single wraps training/Double overhand:
• Three 1/4 x 7 SS square bars
• Single IMP's, Benders Battlefield and Leather wraps

"Finished up a good training session today and I'm definitely going to need more SS square and M size drill rod"!
🤙👊〰️👊🤙

IMG_20220217_082428288.thumb.jpg.6a02634aab687dca076b9f53462552ff.jpgIMG_20220217_082609950.thumb.jpg.dc1a0763d46c554629b76e8c9b92bfda.jpgIMG_20220217_061253237.thumb.jpg.64574784780596711d4829e5b552481e.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/17/2022 at 9:11 AM, Ole' Puller said:

Single wraps training/Double overhand:
• Three 1/4 x 7 SS square bars
• Single IMP's, Benders Battlefield and Leather wraps

"Finished up a good training session today and I'm definitely going to need more SS square and M size drill rod"!
🤙👊〰️👊🤙

IMG_20220217_082428288.thumb.jpg.6a02634aab687dca076b9f53462552ff.jpgIMG_20220217_082609950.thumb.jpg.dc1a0763d46c554629b76e8c9b92bfda.jpgIMG_20220217_061253237.thumb.jpg.64574784780596711d4829e5b552481e.jpg

Wonderful Job, Comrade ! :D 

• Like 1