Steel Bending Training Log

Ole' Puller

"Kinking a few bars"
• 2 Russian calibrated Noble Force 155kg bars
• 1 JH grade 8
• 1 JH grade 5

"Today's session was simple and to the point .. just some kink training on a few bars that I'll finish off later on in the week. Normally if I'm training with 7" stock I stick with that length, but I changed it up this week by throwing in two JH brand g5 & g8 bolts at 6". Right now it's more about the training rather than focusing on a particular bend for certification purposes so both sizes gelled nicely."
👊〰️👊

IMG_20220103_100856369.thumb.jpg.d03691d45e88d4b7d522eed77684e538.jpgIMG_20220103_111157376.thumb.jpg.3b40172216f6ea7b0048d44732a51631.jpg

Edited by Ole' Puller
  • Like 2

"kink training + one"
• Three M x 7 O-1 drill rod bars
• One 1/4 x 6 CRS reverse bend

"Here's a look at today's bending session. I recently received some drill rod training stock from Devin Hoover (@eat chalk get big) and along with the order he was so kind as to send me a few cert bars, one of which was a pair of 1/4 x 6 CRS bars. I started the session with kink training on M x 7 DR and finished with a completed reverse bend on one of the 1/4" bars. I have one more of the 1/4" bars which I'll reserve for a certification on Devin's site. As always, very grateful!"
👍👊〰️👊👍

IMG_20220110_055655801.thumb.jpg.3fd4be1a0ea9e519501f341ec09b2d9d.jpgIMG_20220110_062517397.thumb.jpg.19f1fd52035e8a5c7318597e4dbfb9b2.jpgIMG_20220110_051757344.thumb.jpg.e8f224a1500daa7fcc87992b6d302fb3.jpgIMG_20220110_065944477.thumb.jpg.ee13f68dbfe708c35b05447384034142.jpg

• Like 5

Nice work on all that drill rod! It's stout stuff.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2022 at 10:07 AM, devinhoo said:

Nice work on all that drill rod! It's stout stuff.

Thanks brother! I absolutely love it and I feel as though I should spend some time doing volume work with letter size M and steel in that ballpark for a bit!🤜🤛

• Thanks 1

"Drill rod crush down"
• Three M x 7 O-1 drill rod bars
• Single IMP's & crush pads

"Here are the M size DR's I kinked on Monday in fat wraps and crushed down in singles just now. I really like training with this size and I look forward to adding a bit more volume along with some stainless steel thrown in."
🔥👊〰️👊🔥

IMG_20220114_113802950.thumb.jpg.e0901e4e6eb0c213b3bf0d50a283cdf3.jpgIMG_20220114_113829740.thumb.jpg.90af0694cf3689bf3607617508387703.jpg

• Like 3

On 1/13/2022 at 3:21 AM, SkyHeart said:

Those look both fun and intimidating to bend at the same time xD 

Leaning a lot more towards Fun  :D 

Thank you! Yes, drill rod is certainly a challenge from beginning to end .. the fun part for me is when I'm looking at the completed bends totally overjoyed that I was able to get it done!

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 5:16 AM, Londonjoseph said:

Nice bends man!!!

Thank you brother! I appreciate that my friend!🤝

3 hours ago, Ole' Puller said:

Thank you! Yes, drill rod is certainly a challenge from beginning to end .. the fun part for me is when I'm looking at the completed bends totally overjoyed that I was able to get it done!

For the first couple years of my training, I only heard about grippers, then one day stumbled across "red nails" on Canon Power Works. I was intrigued the second i found them. Looking forward to giving them a go :D 

2022 will bring you many more successful bends, Comrade! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SkyHeart said:

For the first couple years of my training, I only heard about grippers, then one day stumbled across "red nails" on Canon Power Works. I was intrigued the second i found them. Looking forward to giving them a go :D 

2022 will bring you many more successful bends, Comrade! 

Thank you my friend! I look forward to bigger bends for sure. I Know you will enjoy bending those reds. They're tough but once you kink them, the rest of the bend becomes a bit more forgiving! 🤝

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ole' Puller said:

Thank you my friend! I look forward to bigger bends for sure. I Know you will enjoy bending those reds. They're tough but once you kink them, the rest of the bend becomes a bit more forgiving! 🤝

Come to think of it, nails for bending seem symbolic in their nature. once they're bent far enough that they form a curve, its like saying you got past the uphill phase of the battle and are on the way to reigning victorious :D 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SkyHeart said:

Come to think of it, nails for bending seem symbolic in their nature. once they're bent far enough that they form a curve, its like saying you got past the uphill phase of the battle and are on the way to reigning victorious :D 

Very cool metaphor my friend but like life's experiences, the steel can also throw a variety of curves 😆 stainless steel, drill rod and brass to name a few! The moral of it all is to never give up .. just like life itself! Very cool!🤜🤛

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ole' Puller said:

Very cool metaphor my friend but like life's experiences, the steel can also throw a variety of curves 😆 stainless steel, drill rod and brass to name a few! The moral of it all is to never give up .. just like life itself! Very cool!🤜🤛

This reminds me; i at first wondered if it would be safe to bend silverware as practice until i get ahold of heavier gear, but then i found an article on here talking about the forms of steel that are safe and unsafe. good thing i looked at it before trying 😆

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 8:48 PM, SkyHeart said:

This reminds me; i at first wondered if it would be safe to bend silverware as practice until i get ahold of heavier gear, but then i found an article on here talking about the forms of steel that are safe and unsafe. good thing i looked at it before trying 😆

Absolutely my friend! While it's extremely important to bend with varying qualities of steel in order to condition both the body and central nervous system for bigger bends, it's necessary to take precaution about the types of steel being bent to avoid unpredictable and potentially harmful injuries during a bend.

• Thanks 1

"1/4 x 7 SS Square/ M x 7 DR/ Double overhand bending"

• 1/4 x 7 stainless steel square
• M x 7 O-1 drill rod
• Single wraps

"Today's session was great. I easily polished off 3 sturdy bars in single wraps and crush pads. Sessions like this allow me to dial in where I'm at from the training I do in double wraps and I'm quite pleased and grateful!"
🔥👊〰️👊🔥

IMG_20220119_093242930_BURST000_COVER_TOP.thumb.jpg.de52423374a329ad9ec65c9cd88c5829.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ole' Puller said:

"1/4 x 7 SS Square/ M x 7 DR/ Double overhand bending"

• 1/4 x 7 stainless steel square
• M x 7 O-1 drill rod
• Single wraps

"Today's session was great. I easily polished off 3 sturdy bars in single wraps and crush pads. Sessions like this allow me to dial in where I'm at from the training I do in double wraps and I'm quite pleased and grateful!"
🔥👊〰️👊🔥

IMG_20220119_093242930_BURST000_COVER_TOP.thumb.jpg.de52423374a329ad9ec65c9cd88c5829.jpg

Strong training day brother!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Donc101 said:

Strong training day brother!

Thanks so much brother! Yes, it felt great to dial things in and all 3 bends just melted!

• Like 1

"Certification bend"

• 9/32 x 6.5 O-1 drill rod
• Double underhand
• Single leathers

"Here's a double underhand cert bend that I'm submitting to Devin Hoover @eatchalkgetbig for approval. The bend felt great and I'm hoping all will be well."
🔥👊〰️👊🔥

IMG_20220119_111546622.thumb.jpg.c807abfbc974eec91e77c18726cfd657.jpg

5 hours ago, Ole' Puller said:

Absolutely my friend! While it's extremely important to bend with varying qualities of steel in order to condition both the body and central nervous system for bigger bends, it's necessary to take precaution about the types of steel being bent to avoid unpredictable and potentially harmful injuries during a bend.

Speaking of which, I just saw your new steel bending uploads. Splendid Job! I like how it looked like you were finished at first, until you bent it into a full on U shape :D  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SkyHeart said:

Speaking of which, I just saw your new steel bending uploads. Splendid Job! I like how it looked like you were finished at first, until you bent it into a full on U shape :D  

Thanks my friend, that's very kind! Yes, I bend to certification requirements. For the double overhand bend it's required to bend the bar to 2 inches or less measured from the inside lowest point of both ends. For the double underhand and the reverse grip certifications, a bend of 40° or greater is required measured on a protractor. Bending in this way disciplines me for certification attempts.🤝

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ole' Puller said:

Thanks my friend, that's very kind! Yes, I bend to certification requirements. For the double overhand bend it's required to bend the bar to 2 inches or less measured from the inside lowest point of both ends. For the double underhand and the reverse grip certifications, a bend of 40° or greater is required measured on a protractor. Bending in this way disciplines me for certification attempts.🤝

I was wondering about what the requirements and needed techniques are. thanks for the information :D would you say there is a vast difference between the muscles involved in nail bending vs gripper training? or mostly the same? i heard that when chest crushes are performed, its similar to training the "final bit" of a large bend :)  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SkyHeart said:

I was wondering about what the requirements and needed techniques are. thanks for the information :D would you say there is a vast difference between the muscles involved in nail bending vs gripper training? or mostly the same? i heard that when chest crushes are performed, its similar to training the "final bit" of a large bend :)  

While I've seen many people perform gripper chest crushes to help with the final crush down, I myself have never experimented with this technique for any length of time. I've tried them and it definitely works the chest muscles but for the final crush down I prefer heavy steel that is very stiff and springy. Steel like g5 and g8 bolts, rebar, brass, stainless and drill rod all have these characteristics. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ole' Puller said:

While I've seen many people perform gripper chest crushes to help with the final crush down, I myself have never experimented with this technique for any length of time. I've tried them and it definitely works the chest muscles but for the final crush down I prefer heavy steel that is very stiff and springy. Steel like g5 and g8 bolts, rebar, brass, stainless and drill rod all have these characteristics. 

Awesome answer! thank you :D until getting into grippers, i wasn't even aware there was more than one or two types of steel. it still gets me even now! I just ordered another ghp last night (a 9 to go with my 10 ;)  ) and am already excited for its arrival in the mail :) 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SkyHeart said:

Awesome answer! thank you :D until getting into grippers, i wasn't even aware there was more than one or two types of steel. it still gets me even now! I just ordered another ghp last night (a 9 to go with my 10 ;)  ) and am already excited for its arrival in the mail :) 

You're welcome my friend! The ghp grippers are fantastic .. excellent quality!

• Like 1