My thoughts on the arm wrestling scene these days

Tommy J.

Well I appreciate your attempt to make me prefer the more boring/less exciting outlook on strength sports. But you failed. Would still rather watch Mike Tyson over Mayweather. Still would rather watch Levan blast people on the table vs guys like Devon and MMT bleed people. And still prefer to watch drag racing over the Tour de France.

and the second sentence in your past paragraph is 100% untrue. While that does make sense, and many probably want to relate to it, it’s just not reality. Not when talking about combat sports anyways. Admittedly, the ONLY thing you can control going into a fight is your conditioning. But just because you’re in better shape does NOT guarantee the win. Mike said it best. “Errybody got a plan till they get punched in the mouth.”

And I’ll take it a step further. You ever see a marine fresh out of boot camp (excellent endurance and overall fit conditioning) get knocked out cold with 1 punch by a bearded beer belly mid 30 year old with a bad attitude? And his 2 also in-shape buddy’s stand by and not do shit? Because that’s how the real world looks. It is unpredictable. I know because I’m the bearded beer belly guy from the example above. So your attempt here is going to prove flat out impossible. No way I'm just gonna forget my actual life experiences based off all your hypotheticals. I was faster/meaner/stronger than that guy. It’s just that simple. And his overconfidence in his status quo, or conditioning, or whatever you want to call it, did not serve him well. Would I be interested in a shootout with him or his buddies? Absolutely not!…. Would I be interested in racing over an obstacle course with him? No way! But i can and was more interested in not getting put huffing up all the spit and spilled beer off that bar floor. …but then again.. maybe that was also a bit more life experience than the marine at play than i care to acknowledge.

and try not to confuse endurance with fortitude, determination, or sheer will. There is a big difference. Some people are just hard headed and just don’t quit. Regardless of their conditioning. The day I start getting out maneuvered is the day I start biting and dishing out groin shots. (And yeah… that happened too! With another long time board member here trying his MMA bullshit on me.)

And so to stay on point, even you agree the best way to determine who the strongest/best arm wrestlers are is a double elimination tournament with all the top guys. On the same day in the same tournament.

so what are you even trying to sell?

And no knock to Marines… I dig those guys. The dude in the bar just so happened to be one…

I’ll give you a funny side note on that story without getting long winded. As I was standing over that guy and his beer was still spinning on the floor, his buddies blurted out “hey stop! That’s our Sergeant!” …and my heart skipped a beat as I notice the clean shaves and high and tights. Assuming at that point I had just knocked out an off duty cop, I said “oh shit… are you guys cops?” And as the whole place went mostly silent, one of the guys blurts out “no we are Marines..”. That’s when I let out a sigh of relief and said with a crooked smile “oh. Well I’m a Navy guy. Come pick your boy up.”

🤣

that guy I dropped and his girlfriend left, and myself and a couple friends I was there with drank beer with the other 2 marines that night. They were sort of chomping all night that I was prior Navy. But they were good sports because they apparently thought the guy I dropped (their Sergeant) was an asshole.

Sergeant is a cushy job. Pretty sure fitness standards aren't that high either.

All Mike Tyson did was conditioning conditioning conditioning, heavy bag, pads, and a little weight lifting for shrugs. Mike Tyson wasn't weak.

I'm just reusing the word conditioning but I mean less weight more reps. I don't mean getting a sweat and calling it good or getting a burn in the lungs. A person can use 50% of their max and rep out for an hour if they're 'conditioned' to an extreme level. If your bench is 300 then 150 lbs for 3000 reps in an hour is what? Or squatting -- 200 lbs body weight + 400 lbs on the bar makes for a 600 lb max, so 50% of that is 300 lbs so add 100 lbs and squat 3000 reps in an hour; then what? Do that 3x a week for a year and what kind of person are we talking about?

But everyone gets their strength up with weights and that's fine -- just get the conditioning up too. If one benches 200 lbs, weighs 200 lbs, and push ups are 60% of body weight generally, then they could be doing a push motion for 60% of their max and that's strength training. Do push ups till your bench is 300 lbs and now you're pushing 40% of your max. Just going until pain and exhaustion every day on push ups will accomplish this. Do the same thing when your bench is 300 lbs and the sensations might be different, some of it much the same, but you can still gain strength at that point. You just have to push through resistance. I'm not sure what kind of experience it is but push ups until hitting 400 lbs on bench is feasible, usually people use some sort of variations but hard work however simple and "light weight" will twist the muscles up into knots and get your whole body contracting like you're deadlifting 1000 lbs when you're on the last few reps you can possibly manage while in agony.

If Devon Larratt could snap people then he should. The straps are obnoxious. If there are real struggles where two people are unpinnable without straps then that's a good show. A big show for a single arm wrestling bout is kind of crazy though. Double elimination is a lot more to see.

I mean think about it: Do a push up like you're trying to punch somebody. You're not moving much very quickly. Mike Tyson did body weight stuff and hit a bag. Intensity depends on the individual. If you ever see someone do a 1 arm push up like they're throwing a punch and fly up to standing from the force of it you can rest assure that anyone they hit will die. Their head may fly off their neck.

I know it's not all about body weight but no one benching 600 lbs will 1 arm "push punch" themself off the ground with full waist twist like they just threw a hard hit and reach standing. No one with poor conditioning will be able to do that because they simply have 0 training base. If you're working out for literally 1 hour every day you won't beat the guy working out 8 hours every day HARD it is what it is. Not talking a jog talking peak agony and resistance. Beastly.

Of course such a person would snap every armwrestler and straps are dumb but training means TRAINING and if there are ever 2 people training that hard that meet it might be well over a 10 minute long fight. Not talking just arm wrestling I mean any sport, it could be a 20 minute MMA match or wrestling match or whatever with peak action and intensity the whole way.

Edited by Dylan
added last paragraph

I absolutely LOVE that you claim push-ups/volume can take you to a 400lb bench…. Because it’s sooo ironic that you mention it. I’ve been chasing a 400lb bench now for the better part of 3 years. I have not updated my log in some time, but do post pr presses here. And I tried the volume approach for over a year. 10x10 rep schemes over and over and over. Adding small weight to the bar each time. And all it did was beat my elbows up. Ultimately, yes, I still agree that volume is necessary. But unfortunately it should be used as more of an intense deload vs your actual work sets aimed at getting your 1rm up. So far as I can tell, volume at 65-70% one bench workout, and then in 4-5 days hit an AMRAP at 3-5 reps with 85-90% is what drives the 1rm up little by little. I’m sure there are better peak programs out there. But I’m not intending to peak. I intend to make 400 my base 1rm at any moment.

but no. I’m living proof light volume won’t take you from 300 to 400. And it is irrefutable.

and Mike has never been famous for being a 12rd fighter. But even still, many agree that his prime fights were some of the best ones to watch. And I would put money on every guy he crushed having better endurance than him.

And you may not consider marines to be of high endurance… but compared to my shape that day, I GUARANTEE his endurance and conditioning was MUCH greater than mine.

so again. Nothing burger.

On 1/2/2022 at 5:54 PM, Tommy J. said:

I absolutely LOVE that you claim push-ups/volume can take you to a 400lb bench…. Because it’s sooo ironic that you mention it. I’ve been chasing a 400lb bench now for the better part of 3 years. I have not updated my log in some time, but do post pr presses here. And I tried the volume approach for over a year. 10x10 rep schemes over and over and over. Adding small weight to the bar each time. And all it did was beat my elbows up. Ultimately, yes, I still agree that volume is necessary. But unfortunately it should be used as more of an intense deload vs your actual work sets aimed at getting your 1rm up. So far as I can tell, volume at 65-70% one bench workout, and then in 4-5 days hit an AMRAP at 3-5 reps with 85-90% is what drives the 1rm up little by little. I’m sure there are better peak programs out there. But I’m not intending to peak. I intend to make 400 my base 1rm at any moment.

but no. I’m living proof light volume won’t take you from 300 to 400. And it is irrefutable.

and Mike has never been famous for being a 12rd fighter. But even still, many agree that his prime fights were some of the best ones to watch. And I would put money on every guy he crushed having better endurance than him.

I mean if you train under 20 reps a set then that's just the way you train, doesn't prove going up in reps doesn't work.

And Mike having worse endurance? What? Dude literally did about 1000 push ups, squats and sit ups a day along with I think a 4 mile run every morning and a ton of pad and bag work, neck work, and jump rope. I mean think of an engine.

You see people go 12 rounds all the time but they fight like they just woke up and asked the other guy for a "light spar I'm new here". Just stepping around, little hop, some jabs. You never see a brawl (technical fighting or not, NEVER a brawl, never very aggressive, 1 or 1-2 90% of the time, barely a sport and low effort). Might as well be watching people at a barbeque just killing time when watching modern boxing, especially lower weight classes.

Point was that high reps can get you strong while improving endurance too, and progress is smoother and sooner if you get a good high rep base at lower %. I hear about people's elbows and such all the time but who knows if there's actually something going on. I have had stuff that hurt that I just hit harder and it felt fine; in fact there's always a little pain involved whether it's blood vessels or joints or muscles or nerves or bones or ligaments or organs. It's just training. Right now my thumb has been getting a bunch of stuff involving nervy pain, ache, feeling like the vessels are stretching (feeling like they'll burst sort of thing) when I use a gripper and from these wrist weights that have a thumb loop. I don't worry about it. Body does stuff and it can do its thing.

Not saying low reps doesn't build muscle either. You can add tens of pounds of muscle with high reps low weight.

Edited by Dylan
uhhh

Okay so now your claiming that power punchers like Mike, who typically ended fights on average in under 4 rds throughout his entire career are actually demonstrating superior endurance? and not demonstrating superior speed and power than the opposition? ….lol. Wtf.

and your also now saying that if I’d have just done more* reps at the lighter weight, that id already be benching 400? Lol, again…. Wtf.

No. Mike was faster, stronger, and meaner than the majority of the guys he fought. His endurance, or lack thereof, played almost zero role in his success as probably the most vicious fighter to ever step foot in a boxing ring. You can argue all you want. But Tyson was never known by anyone as an endurance fighter. But Ali was. Ali took punches to his head for upwards of ten or so rounds before his opponents dropped their hands and then gave Ali all the head he wanted. (Which ultimately also cost him his life in the end due to all the brain damage he sustained) Tyson punched THROUGH hands. And forced fighters to drop guard via seeing stars from hard hits and knocking them off balance. ….with hard lightening speed attacks.

and there is zero magic in unlocking a 400lb bench. The key is to just get stronger. And that won’t be done by some guy who only benches 300lbs doing rep after rep of light weights. But by all means…. Prove me wrong. And post your lightweight million rep journey to a 400lb bench.

and I’m gonna go ahead and just say it. It would appear at this point that you’d maybe even try to make everyone reading along believe that the best marathon runner could easily be the fastest 100m dash sprinter.

And it does 👏🏻 not 👏🏻 work 👏🏻 that 👏🏻  way.

and lastly, you’re all over the place here.. you’ve gone from guys don’t like endurance because they don’t have it, to calling any movement that requires a heartbeat a feat or demonstration of ones endurance, to now basically claiming that any guy who ever won something had better endurance than the other guy.

and if that’s the logic your sticking to, then that means my “endurance” 1 punch from the hip maneuver demonstrated superior “endurance” over that marine in that bar. Further, Denis must have only been demonstrating his superior “endurance” when he crushed Devon. Levan must only be demonstrating his superior “endurance” every time he crushes someone on the table.

because there is “no way” any winner of any strength sport or combat sport won by simply being stronger and or faster than their opponent….

like, bro… are you kidding me?

You already lost here. You just don’t realize it. It’s almost comparable to one of Mikes opponents coming back into consciousness and the stage lights coming into focus as they lay on their back looking at the ceiling.

And me continuing on will only begin to resemble a situation in where Mike walks over and starts kicking the opponent in the head that he just knocked out. That said, the bell has rung. And I’m done here.

👋🏼

🎤 

Tommy you fool, we all know that push ups equal bench press strength. That's why after David Goggins completed his 20,000 push up challenge he was able to bench press 6,000 pounds this is basic exercise science and the key for any strength goal. 

• Haha 2

On 12/14/2021 at 9:40 AM, Alawadhi said:

I am gonna address few points.

I loves seeing the super matches. After the scamdemic these tournaments were way less and these are here to entertain us. As for the cost, yes it does cost a lot to fly athletes, book a room, feed them and have prize money. Some other organization (famous one's) don't even do that. They just pick the famous athletes from the airport and if they lose, they pay for their bus ticket back to airport. It is such a shame. And no I won't mention names. So yeah to make the athletes happy the organizer need to cover all cost and make money in order to keep this going. But guess what, the bigger it gets the more they will be paid. I am talking about KOTT here. I believe they are the second highest athlete paid super matches tournament. I believe the highest was a local tournament here where the prize money was AED 5 Million (USD 1.37 Million).

As for the endurance, I am with and against. I certainly don't want to watch under the table kings move in a real match. That is boring. But if they are on same level then yeah why not may the man with more endurance wins like combat sports. Devon says AW is kinda a combat sport (not that I agree with but yeah you need to fight for position). As for not following the rules to tire your opponent, I also don't like to watch it. Hold fairly and go is the best way to go. PAL have these more strict. 

As for both of them view themselves as the strongest pullers, no I assure you they don't. Devon I am 100% certain of. But he is not scared to train for a fight against Levan or Vitaly.

So yeah, I want to see a more strict rule, no under the table and pull like Levan and Brzenk. Strength over endurance. 

On a side note and a different subject. I remember some people used to say John Brzenk have gigantic hands over 8.5" and 17 inch forearms, which is a lie. I remember Joe Musselwhite measured them but still somewhere on Reddit they said no that is wrong. I can confirm Johns forearms are somewhere around 15. something inches and his hands are around my hands yet thicker with longer thumbs.

Yes, yes and yes!

20211212_002957.jpg

20211212_003220.jpg

Yeah his hand is pretty thick. nice pictures!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

Tommy you fool, we all know that push ups equal bench press strength. That's why after David Goggins completed his 20,000 push up challenge he was able to bench press 6,000 pounds this is basic exercise science and the key for any strength goal. 

Lol!

on a serious side note, great cardio does definitely have merit. And I should honestly do more cardio. if for nothing else, health reasons.

And if all a guy can do is calisthenics, he’d still become in great shape and pretty strong. If you look at prison inmates, where nearly all American prisons removed weights, and the high sodium diets that are basically garbage are fed to the inmates 3 times a day, you still see many guys looking like gladiators in there. That are probably pretty stout as well. And pretty much all they do is calisthenics. I don’t believe any of them will walk out of there and win any powerlifting meets or strongman competitions.. but they are more than likely “gas station ready” as Josh Bryant likes to call it. So that style training does have merit. It just doesn’t produce the level of strength or athleticism that I am interested in watching. Not unless one of them fights like Mike Tyson!

17 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Okay so now your claiming that power punchers like Mike, who typically ended fights on average in under 4 rds throughout his entire career are actually demonstrating superior endurance? and not demonstrating superior speed and power than the opposition? ….lol. Wtf.

and your also now saying that if I’d have just done more* reps at the lighter weight, that id already be benching 400? Lol, again…. Wtf.

No. Mike was faster, stronger, and meaner than the majority of the guys he fought. His endurance, or lack thereof, played almost zero role in his success as probably the most vicious fighter to ever step foot in a boxing ring. You can argue all you want. But Tyson was never known by anyone as an endurance fighter. But Ali was. Ali took punches to his head for upwards of ten or so rounds before his opponents dropped their hands and then gave Ali all the head he wanted. (Which ultimately also cost him his life in the end due to all the brain damage he sustained) Tyson punched THROUGH hands. And forced fighters to drop guard via seeing stars from hard hits and knocking them off balance. ….with hard lightening speed attacks.

and there is zero magic in unlocking a 400lb bench. The key is to just get stronger. And that won’t be done by some guy who only benches 300lbs doing rep after rep of light weights. But by all means…. Prove me wrong. And post your lightweight million rep journey to a 400lb bench.

and I’m gonna go ahead and just say it. It would appear at this point that you’d maybe even try to make everyone reading along believe that the best marathon runner could easily be the fastest 100m dash sprinter.

And it does 👏🏻 not 👏🏻 work 👏🏻 that 👏🏻  way.

and lastly, you’re all over the place here.. you’ve gone from guys don’t like endurance because they don’t have it, to calling any movement that requires a heartbeat a feat or demonstration of ones endurance, to now basically claiming that any guy who ever won something had better endurance than the other guy.

and if that’s the logic your sticking to, then that means my “endurance” 1 punch from the hip maneuver demonstrated superior “endurance” over that marine in that bar. Further, Denis must have only been demonstrating his superior “endurance” when he crushed Devon. Levan must only be demonstrating his superior “endurance” every time he crushes someone on the table.

because there is “no way” any winner of any strength sport or combat sport won by simply being stronger and or faster than their opponent….

like, bro… are you kidding me?

You're purposefully misreading what I said. I said Mike Tyson's routine involved a shit ton of endurance-demanding work yet you said his endurance was likely poorer than his competitors. Reread your shit. I made it clear. Over 1000 push ups, sit ups, and squats ever day along with jump rope work, a 4 mile run every morning if I recall correctly, and lots of pad, technique and heavy bag work. Yet the result is high power, high strength and NOT JUST endurance. Are you going to be direct about what you disagree with or just make shit up about what I said to deflect and distract?

If you had been doing high reps while benching heavy you would be benching 400 lbs right now. Absolutely true.

Anyone that pushes shit to the subjective limit will get stronger. Not just pain but exerting force to get through the time or the repetitions will get stronger and pack on muscle. You're just ignorant.

And now you're repeating the same shit like a slogan for your brand. You got money on this? You bet on yourself with a friend or something? If you want proof of whether something works why don't you do Mike Tyson's routine, HE'S the proof. Go look for yourself and try and explain why Mike Tyson crapped on people using the routine he used.

Just keep talking like you don't know how to read. Reality is too complicated for you.

Edited by Dylan
typo

37 minutes ago, Dylan said:

You're purposefully misreading what I said. I said Mike Tyson's routine involved a shit ton of endurance-demanding work yet you said his endurance was likely poorer than his competitors. Reread your shit. I made it clear. Over 1000 push ups, sit ups, and squats ever day along with jump rope work, a 4 mile run every morning if I recall correctly, and lots of pad, technique and heavy bag work. Yet the result is high power, high strength and NOT JUST endurance. Are you going to be direct about what you disagree with or just make shit up about what I said to deflect and distract?

If you had been doing high reps while benching heavy you would be benching 400 lbs right now. Absolutely true.

Anyone that pushes shit to the subjective limit will get stronger. Not just pain but exerting force to get through the time or the repetitions will get stronger and pack on muscle. You're just ignorant.

And now you're repeating the same shit like a slogan for your brand. You got money on this? You bet on yourself with a friend or something? If you want proof of whether something works why don't you do Mike Tyson's routine, HE'S the proof. Go look for yourself and try and explain why Mike Tyson crapped on people using the routine he used.

Just keep talking like you don't know how to read. Reality is too complicated for you.

Okay we’ll go super simple for you as we pick apart what works best. Right off the top of my head,

my best bench is 385. What’s yours?

my best 40m run time was 4.69 at 189lbs. What’s yours?

the most consecutive push-ups I’ve done without even so much as a pause to catch my breath was about 104. Then squeezed out maybe another 7 with bad form and long pauses. What’s yours?

I have ACTUALLY knocked grown ass men tf out. One time I even dropped a guy that did absolutely nothing… it was the wrong guy!..  It’s been a couple years, but I live that life. What about you?

my longest formation run (without falling out like a chump to stop and “tie my shoe” like some guys like to do) was just under 4 miles. What’s yours?

my best strict overhead barbell press was 255 for a solid no leg drive single. And went for a 2nd rep but failed. What’s yours?

and oddly enough, I have credible witnesses and or video to just about all of it, minus a couple unexpected scuffles I had when I was out on my own. So I’ll be expecting nothing less from you when you state claims.

I rarely debate from a point of authority. But your literally acting as if I’ve lived my life leaving so much more on the table. So by your logic, I could* be one bad(der) mf’er if I do what you say. So now what I need from you, is proof, from YOU, that what you say isn’t just some regurgitated bs from a guy who wrote a bs book, who happens to have ZERO accolades of his own. And show me exactly how strong or fast or powerful (whatever you feel like calling it) you are. Or shut 👏🏻 the 👏🏻 F 👏🏻 up 👏🏻.

Edited by Tommy J.

5 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Okay we’ll go super simple for you as we pick apart what works best. Right off the top of my head,

my best bench is 385. What’s yours?

my best 40m run time was 4.69 at 189lbs. What’s yours?

the most consecutive push-ups I’ve done without even so much as a pause to catch my breath was about 104. Then squeezed out maybe another 7 with bad form and long pauses. What’s yours?

I have ACTUALLY knocked grown ass men tf out. One time I even dropped a guy that did absolutely nothing… it was the wrong guy!..  It’s been a couple years, but I live that life. What about you?

my longest formation run (without falling out like a chump to stop and “tie my shoe” like some guys like to do) was just under 4 miles. What’s yours?

my best strict overhead barbell press was 255 for a solid no leg drive single. And went for a 2nd rep but failed. What’s yours?

and oddly enough, I have credible witnesses and or video to just about all of it, minus a couple unexpected scuffles I had when I was out on my own. So I’ll be expecting nothing less from you when you state claims.

I rarely debate from a point of authority. But your literally acting as if I’ve lived my life leaving so much more on the table. So by your logic, I could* be one bad(der) mf’er if I do what you say. So now what I need from you, is proof, from YOU, that what you say isn’t just some regurgitated bs from a guy who wrote a bs book, who happens to have ZERO accolades of his own. And show me exactly how strong or fast or powerful (whatever you feel like calling it) you are. Or shut 👏🏻 the 👏🏻 F 👏🏻 up 👏🏻.

My best bench is 205 lbs in high school. I don't know what it is right now but maybe it's 225 lbs.

My best 40m run is unknown but probably 7 seconds no clue. I'm 195 lbs.

Most push ups I've done is 54.

I have not knocked anyone out.

I do not know how fast a formation run is but I've walked 3.75 miles with 80 lbs on with a few steep hills involved in 55 minutes.

My best strict OHP was 125 lbs and I can probably do 135 lbs right now.

But I'm right. 

And Mike did NOT win his fights because he was more conditioned. Period. Do you actually believe that at 17-18 years old, he put in more work than his world class competition that had been at it for years longer than him? Do you actually believe he woke up earlier? Ran further? Hit a bag longer? Jump roped longer than then vetted world champion boxers? He must have skipped all those endless hours of watching boxing footage with cus daily to get that extra training in then. Oh, and he must have also lied about watching those videos for upwards of 7 hours a day when he lived with cus…. (Eye roll)

you must not know how lazy Mike was. Cus and cus’ students had to practically hold him hostage in his early years (his best years) and force him to train. Even going so far as to make Mike live in cus’ house. Also even going so far as to keep his prize money from him in an attempt to keep him working.

no. Mike didn’t out work his opponents. Cus pioneered a modified peek-a-boo fighting style to accommodate mikes smaller size. And add in mikes natural* speed and bad intent, and viola. Iron Mike is born. A major part of mikes game that made him near untouchable was that modified peek-a-boo style that no one had seen or learned to defend from. Period.

you’ve done nothing more here than attempt to sell antics from mr no accolades himself David goggins. Which so happens to preach nothing more than an archaic and out of date form of CrossFit.

9 minutes ago, Dylan said:

My best bench is 205 lbs in high school. I don't know what it is right now but maybe it's 225 lbs.

My best 40m run is unknown but probably 7 seconds no clue. I'm 195 lbs.

Most push ups I've done is 54.

I have not knocked anyone out.

I do not know how fast a formation run is but I've walked 3.75 miles with 80 lbs on with a few steep hills involved in 55 minutes.

My best strict OHP was 125 lbs and I can probably do 135 lbs right now.

But I'm right. 

I hope your not expecting me to pick on any of those lifts. Because I’m not. And I do appreciate your being honest about them.

but damn dude… I’m no spring chicken. I’ve tried a bit of it all to get stronger. Get better. Get faster. And am still learning.

does my cardio need some work?… yeah. Who’s doesn’t.

but if I’m being honest, I’ve already spent the better part of my life being agile, running and jumping all over the place like my hair is on fire. And all it did was keep me under 200lbs with almost a capped level of strength. It wasn’t until I started putting on size, pushing excess movement by the wayside, and training heavier until I got stronger. It is just that simple and boring.

i want results I’ve never had. And have to be willing to do things I’ve never done to get them. That said, I already tried light weight high reps. And now I’m here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

He must have skipped all those endless hours of watching boxing footage with cus daily to get that extra training in then. Oh, and he must have also lied about watching those videos for upwards of 7 hours a day when he lived with cus…. (Eye roll)

1000 reps of squats, sit ups, push ups, is not too long and a 4 mile run is 30 minutes or so. jump rope was probably 10 minutes and pads were maybe 30 minutes to an hour. heavy bag was maybe 30 minutes. 1000 reps isn't much time though he broke it up into sets of 100 or 200 as far as I know.

If you take a set to failure your whole body will be red, bulging and straining every muscle in the body. That's just how it is. Anyone can stop short of that though. Being mean does anything only if it's taking you to the point of peak exertion.

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

but if I’m being honest, I’ve already spent the better part of my life being agile, running and jumping all over the place like my hair is on fire. And all it did was keep me under 200lbs with almost a capped level of strength. It wasn’t until I started putting on size, pushing excess movement by the wayside, and training heavier until I got stronger. It is just that simple and boring.

I like heavy weights but I don't like high rep sets that make me want to play video games after red lining. Maybe that's just a weird side effect. If you do 1 set of push ups or squats until you literally can't lift your arms or walk then it works! I was ~153 lbs on the last day of high school benching 95 lbs as a junior up to 125 lbs by the end of that year, up to 205 lbs at the end of senior year while doing 3x5 at school with a drop set and arm work usually, BUT I MADE MORE PROGRESS SENIOR YEAR because I tried doing more SENIOR YEAR, more arm work and 1 or more drop sets at school, staying more active when more tired and exerting myself more isometrically like flexing, air punching hard, working on my "meanness" or berserkerness (intensity) in my physical exertions, and doing some push ups with focus and good flex and control while tired.

I was probably 140 lbs in junior year. I have only gained weight from being lazy but still try and do some stuff while tired or to get tired like flexing and punching and some body resistance stuff with a little weight or calisthenics stuff here and there (while tired and trying to reach certain subjective milestones); that got me to 180 lbs perhaps and 195 lbs took a bit more exercise. I don't know the numbers sometimes I'm doing a slow controlled push up and 30 seconds pass. I do try and hop around and keep my heels off the ground or do some athletic dance though. I also try and flex my muscles and get some flexes or isometric movements in while sitting at the computer; keeps a good background 'radiation' going.

I got 2 inches on my torso circumference doing a push up program for 1 month. 39 inches to 42.25 and it dropped to 41 inches. My back is thin. I did the Evil Russian Push up program twice. It's just a % of your max reps every hour or 30 minutes or 15 mintues depending on the day. The third week I was skipping a lot and I barely did anything the 4th week just doing a few sets each day and skipped a couple days entirely.

Made sure the sets were difficult with high total tension, slowing stuff down and doing full range of motion the first 10 days and in general rather controlled and full range. I also did figure 8s across the body with a 5 lb DB afterwards the first 10 days. The figure 8s were like something you would do with nunchucks but I don't have those and I can't find 5+ pound nunchucks.

My push up count went from 34 to like 38 at the end of the month but I was beat up. I couldn't lift my arms LITERALLY after a good number of those figure 8s with the DB. LITERALLY.

So yeah subjective measures lead to results. Just working on consistency.

Edited by Dylan
note on why senior year progress was more; also added a note on evil russian push up program

As you age and as you get more years training, you’ll find that what works for you now won’t work for you later. It doesn’t look like your asking advice. But I’m gonna give some anyways. And this is a quote from Ed Coan. “If what your doing works, why stop?”

so basically, if your seeing gains doing what your doing, don’t stop doing it until the gains stop coming. Then switch it up.

you’ll reach that point 5 or 6 or maybe even 10 or more times by the time your 30.

It sounds like you’re young enough tho that anything you do will work for prolonged periods. So just enjoy. And let others do the same.

• Like 1

@Tommy J.

Nothing to do with age I don't believe that.

If the reps are grinding you can build muscle and gain strength with body weight calisthenics. It's about muscle tension for muscle growth. If you're going for strength you can add 20 lbs of muscle and try to go at it that way or go BIG neural drive just driving the reps DRIVING them like you can't move fast enough and you aren't even moving at all it's just TOO SLOW like your body is moving but you just feel slow slow slow like you're moving through molasses; and the resistance is there so it's all on the person to use their will to GRIND for muscle tension or the explosive way where the body is a mass moving way too slow and you're using force as much as possible but still moving too slow OR grind and PULL yourself to the ground and PULLING yourself off the ground when you're doing push ups, for pull ups PUSH yourself up to the bar like it's a handstand push up and gravity is reversed (or push elbows down) and PUSH yourself to the ground once you reach the top. This adds resistance by using antagonistic muscles to resist the movement. Just repping it works as well though.

You can do what you do, it works for you. I just wear weights 24/7 and do 1 set of push ups, squats and sit ups each day and usually do a couple sets of grip work. All I know is that literally everything is terrible and unfun when pushing for peak fatigue and pain is the metric to judge a workout by -- including endurance work. It's the way to make progress no matter how you train. Hence why no one gets too far in their training without drugs or extreme specificity 99.9% of the time.

Ingen fotobeskrivning tillgänglig.

Just gonna leave this here.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Lennix said:

Ingen fotobeskrivning tillgänglig.

Just gonna leave this here.

Cuts both ways and is a regurgitated phenomenon replacing mental engagement where you actually consider what someone is saying.

Perform a 1 minute squat going down 30 seconds up 30 seconds and then go for a second repetition. Tell me you could squat like this, going until the pain is too much, every day. Refusing to speed up and just trying to get through it however slow and painful and exhausting, every day. Tell me you could do that every day and it would be useless to you. Lie to me directly.

Edited by Dylan
added

20 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Cuts both ways and is a regurgitated phenomenon replacing mental engagement where you actually consider what someone is saying.

Perform a 1 minute squat going down 30 seconds up 30 seconds and then go for a second repetition. Tell me you could squat like this, going until the pain is too much, every day. Refusing to speed up and just trying to get through it however slow and painful and exhausting, every day. Tell me you could do that every day and it would be useless to you. Lie to me directly.

All I'm saying is, sometimes, its good to be a bit humble and accept that you perhaps don't know everything.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lennix said:

All I'm saying is, sometimes, its good to be a bit humble and accept that you perhaps don't know everything.

I'd rather you tell me you can't gain muscle and strength from body weight work that pushes your pain and fatigue tolerance; specifically the slowed down reps though. From your profile picture it looks like you weight lift so both of those things should be relevant to you.

Edited by Dylan
added

1 minute ago, Dylan said:

I'd rather you tell me you can't gain muscle and strength from body weight work that pushes your pain and fatigue tolerance; specifically the slowed down reps though. From your profile picture it looks like you weight lift so both of those things should be relevant to you.

I could tell you what I think work from what I've read and from my own experience. But, Tommy has already tried and you don't really seem to be taking anything outside of what you already "know" is the truth into consideration. So I'll pass.

• Like 1