Who have bent an Ironmind gold nail?

Lennix

5 hours ago, Mike Sharkey said:

That Gold bend was super quick. Why hasn't he certed?

Go watch the episode with Derek on beyond the bend podcast on youtube :) 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, David_wigren said:

Randall Strossen changed the rules. Most likely because of a personal grudge he had against Derek. However, since Randal and his colleagues at Ironmind have no idea of how to bend, they accidentally worded the new rules in a way so that none of the people currently certed on the red nail have actually bent a red in full accordance to the new rules. I think the point was to word it so that it would emulate the style of bending John Brookfield used to do. However, as I said, the rules were worded poorly, so not even Brookfield’s technique would fly if you follow the rules. You basically have to Reverse of Heslep bend the bar to a full U away from the body.

I’ve heard though that Randall doesn’t hold these rules very strictly. So it is actually possible to cert the red and gold even if you don’t follow the new rules. I think the trick is that you have to be friends with Randall. The rule should just say that, be friends with Randall.

I've been done a decade. Nice to see some things never change.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike Sharkey said:

I've been done a decade. Nice to see some things never change.

Hahaha! Indeed, things have not changed!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, David_wigren said:

Randall Strossen changed the rules. Most likely because of a personal grudge he had against Derek. However, since Randal and his colleagues at Ironmind have no idea of how to bend, they accidentally worded the new rules in a way so that none of the people currently certed on the red nail have actually bent a red in full accordance to the new rules. I think the point was to word it so that it would emulate the style of bending John Brookfield used to do. However, as I said, the rules were worded poorly, so not even Brookfield’s technique would fly if you follow the rules. You basically have to Reverse of Heslep bend the bar to a full U away from the body.

I’ve heard though that Randall doesn’t hold these rules very strictly. So it is actually possible to cert the red and gold even if you don’t follow the new rules. I think the trick is that you have to be friends with Randall. The rule should just say that, be friends with Randall.

I guess I don't really understand the rules then? 

https://www.ironmind.com/export/sites/ironmind/.galleries/pdfs/RedxGoldNail-Form-03.28.12.pdf

From the form it seems like the standard double overhand technique is fine if i'm reading this correctly. To bend a gold nail fully into a U reverse or heslep style would be harder than a TNS of a coc 4. 

There was a huge hullabaloo about it. Added a lot of fuel to the fire about Randy. I know @Londonjoseph is trying to cert the Red Nail with the new rules and having to lay it on thick just to get an opportunity to cert. Even still he's had to submit his "proof" video multiple times and still hasn't received word that he can try to certify. It's a mess.

Edited by devinhoo
  • Like 1

I've been trying my best to be patient with ironmind, but it is running thin. Hopefully Randall will just send me the cert soon 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Stephen Ruby said:

I guess I don't really understand the rules then? 

https://www.ironmind.com/export/sites/ironmind/.galleries/pdfs/RedxGoldNail-Form-03.28.12.pdf

From the form it seems like the standard double overhand technique is fine if i'm reading this correctly. To bend a gold nail fully into a U reverse or heslep style would be harder than a TNS of a coc 4. 

The form still includes the old rules. But the new rules listed on their website:

The biggest issue is in the 4th point which states that only incidental contact between the bender’ arms or hands may contact the body. In an double overhand bend the hands do not contact the body in an “incidental” fashion. In a double overhand bend the hands are braced against the upper torso quite hard. If it had truly been an incidental contact then it would mean that you could perform the bend just as well had you not had any contact at all with your chest, and we all know that would make a huge difference. Thus the contact is not incidental. This is what breaks the cert, at least if you want to adhere to the rules. 

1. Only an authentic IronMind Red Nail™ or Gold Nail™ can be used and it cannot have been modified in any way.
  2. Only genuine IronMind Hand Pads can be used, they cannot have been modified in any way, and no mechanical devices (clamps, rubber bands, etc.) can be used for any part of the attempt (from wrapping the nail to performing the bend). Using pads that are not readily recognizable as blue IronMind bending pads will automatically result in the attempt being turned down.
  3. Ordinary chalk (magnesium carbonate) may be used on the bender's hands and also on the pads, but nothing else is permitted (liquid chalk, rosin, etc. are specifically disallowed).
  4. This is an unbraced bend—incidental contact between the bender's arms or hands (or the nail itself) and the bender's body is permitted.
  5. The bend is considered completed when the inside spread of the ends of the nail is no more than 2 inches (5 cm). There is a 2-minute time limit from when the nail or the pads are first touched.
  6. The bender is not allowed to use any wraps, tape or any other supporting material on his body.
  7.  Nails may be wrapped in any of these three ways:
    • fold each pad in half up to 4 times, with one pad in the palm of each hand—the ends of the nail should be in roughly in the center of each pad
    • roll the nail in one of the pads and then fold the ends of the pad back toward the center of the nail.
    • fold each pad into thirds, roll each on the ends of the nail, butting the ends against each other in the middle of the Red Nail or with a 1-1/2" (38 mm) gap (centered) on the Gold Nail

• Like 1

Oh wow yeah that is ridiculous I see no one has certed in a while also I'm guessing this is the reason. 

Very sad. I'm all for maintaining the integrity of feats, but maybe inquire of someone who actually understands bending 🤔

I'm glad to see a few people actually reached cert level for the Gold. I figured Tommy or JT would be able to do it. Nice to see things have progressed. I guess that's the way of things. No one could run a 4-minute mile until it was actually done. Now it's just "normal".

• 7 months later...

I'd done a red in thicker pads now, so I was looking at the certification. The wrapping rule has me flabergasted. It's so different than most people bend that I am just not sure if I want to train for that. The demand on wrist strength seems a lot higher.

• fold each pad into thirds, roll each on the ends of the nail, butting the ends against each other in the middle of the Red Nail or with a 1-1/2" (38 mm) gap (centered) on the Gold Nail

• 3 months later...

Ironmind rules notwithstanding, I had one Gold Nail in my stock at the beginning of the year and so gave it an effort in the modified double-underhand style. The length is extremely awkward but, through this saga of an attempt, I was able to get it done according to typical DU rules. Enjoy my suffering so you don't have to try this! 😂

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Viking said:

Ironmind rules notwithstanding, I had one Gold Nail in my stock at the beginning of the year and so gave it an effort in the modified double-underhand style. The length is extremely awkward but, through this saga of an attempt, I was able to get it done according to typical DU rules. Enjoy my suffering so you don't have to try this! 😂

Impressive. Especially after the punch to the face.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Viking said:

This hurts me just watching it.

Very powerful and and crazy bend... Nice shot to the face. I've done that a few times myself. Thats our bodies way of trying to knock some sense into us.

• Like 1