Sleeping with gloves on?

Oreowahl

Hello I had read an article or more of a personal log I wish I could remember who wrote it but he mentioned sleeping with gloves on to help recover has anyone tried this is there any merit to it?

• Like 1

I found that it irritated my joints... dunno why... I just woke up like that on more than one occasion after trying it.

When I somehow developed tendonitis in both hands from using a kindle tablet years ago, I bought some compression gloves.. They helped it heal. I still wear them once in awhile, but I need a new pair.  They help with recovery a lot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

When I somehow developed tendonitis in both hands from using a kindle tablet years ago, I bought some compression gloves.. They helped it heal. I still wear them once in awhile, but I need a new pair.  They help with recovery a lot.

That is very interesting. My hands are constantly tired from training and doing grip a total of 5 days per week. I need to check these things out. 

• Like 2

As far as skin goes, there's definitely merit to moisturizing, and throwing on rubber gloves so it keeps working throughout the night. I've found this especially useful in the winter when dry, cracked hands are all too common. Soft skin definitely grips better than hard skin. 

• Like 2

I remember reading something about this. The point of the article that I read was for keeping the hands warm to increase blood flow at night. I tried it for awhile but I can't say as it worked and I didn't enjoy wearing winter gloves to sleep, so I quit. 

I found it much more effective to recover after a workout to put my hands in ice and leave them in there for as long as I could, then hot water and back and forth for 6-8 reps. I also stretched my hands and forearms, used some rollers and balls for my hands and the Armaid for my forearms.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

That is very interesting. My hands are constantly tired from training and doing grip a total of 5 days per week. I need to check these things out. 

yup, and it gets tough for me too.. Working with my hands. Sometimes my wrists just feel stiff, and i massage them a lot and stretch them.  I'm going to buy another pair because of this thread. My hands always felt great with them. Its worth it, they are cheap enough.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jpav2010 said:

I remember reading something about this. The point of the article that I read was for keeping the hands warm to increase blood flow at night. I tried it for awhile but I can't say as it worked and I didn't enjoy wearing winter gloves to sleep, so I quit. 

I found it much more effective to recover after a workout to put my hands in ice and leave them in there for as long as I could, then hot water and back and forth for 6-8 reps. I also stretched my hands and forearms, used some rollers and balls for my hands and the Armaid for my forearms.

Whew that sounds intense but I will have to give it a shot because I have heard of ice bath/sauna combo and that sounds like it would work similarly. 

13 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Thank you I will have to get a pair and try it out.

8 hours ago, slazbob said:

Cypress oil mixed with another carrier oil is great for blood flow. Rub it in before bed …gloves optional.

Im going to look into this as well but what do you mean another carrier?

2 hours ago, Oreowahl said:

Im going to look into this as well but what do you mean another carrier?

Something to mix it with…you don’t really use essential oils full strength. I use castor oil; about a dime size in my palm, Then just mix a few drops of the cypress and rub in.

Edited by slazbob

1 hour ago, slazbob said:

Something to mix it with…you don’t really use essential oils full strength. I use castor oil; about a dime size in my palm, Then just mix a few drops of the cypress and rub in.

Ok awesome thank you.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 8:49 AM, jpav2010 said:

I've tried to soak them in ice water but didn't switch to warm afterwards. Just left them there for at least 5 minutes. Didn't help at all lol... 

I also stretch my fingers gently before grip work. I've had an online contest to do these past few weeks and trying to do as much as I can on rolling, Hub and Excalibur while training squats bench and deadlifts is brutal to my hands. I do get forearm pain once in a while. Nearly 2 decades of manual labor took good care of me lol. Sometimes I'm shocked I can still train 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 12/11/2021 at 4:24 PM, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

I've tried to soak them in ice water but didn't switch to warm afterwards. Just left them there for at least 5 minutes. Didn't help at all lol... 

I also stretch my fingers gently before grip work. I've had an online contest to do these past few weeks and trying to do as much as I can on rolling, Hub and Excalibur while training squats bench and deadlifts is brutal to my hands. I do get forearm pain once in a while. Nearly 2 decades of manual labor took good care of me lol. Sometimes I'm shocked I can still train 

Ice alone just causes vasoconstriction of blood vessels so it reduces blood flow/inflammation. What was mentioned above, switching from ice bath to hot water back and forth several times are called contrast baths. The hot water causes vasodilation of blood vessels. So the point of this recovery is to repeatedly vasoconstrict/vasodilate blood vessels to encourage blood flow that way by constantly narrowing and then widening them. This is a physical therapy technique.

Edited by C8Myotome
  • Thanks 2

Some practical tips for a contrast bath, I use two 6 pack sized coolers one with ice and water and one with hot water from the faucet. The key to make it last longer is to have a towel in between to dry hands while switching, this slows down both of the tanks from approaching room temperature and let's you get in more cycles. 

I find the glove idea silly and pointless, wouldn't be in my first 100 ideas to increase recovery 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 7:59 PM, C8Myotome said:

Ice alone just causes vasoconstriction of blood vessels so it reduces blood flow/inflammation. What was mentioned above, switching from ice bath to hot water back and forth several times are called contrast baths. The hot water causes vasodilation of blood vessels. So the point of this recovery is to repeatedly vasoconstrict/vasodilate blood vessels to encourage blood flow that way by constantly narrowing and then widening them. This is a physical therapy technique.

I agree, have seen some elite strongmen utilize that heat contrast style. Wish I could just bury myself in cold and hot baths haha.. . Thanks for the input man 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

I agree, have seen some elite strongmen utilize that heat contrast style. Wish I could just bury myself in cold and hot baths haha.. . Thanks for the input man 

I’m gonna have a set up for ice baths someday. Those look so beneficial. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 1:23 PM, Climber028 said:

Some practical tips for a contrast bath, I use two 6 pack sized coolers one with ice and water and one with hot water from the faucet. The key to make it last longer is to have a towel in between to dry hands while switching, this slows down both of the tanks from approaching room temperature and let's you get in more cycles. 

I find the glove idea silly and pointless, wouldn't be in my first 100 ideas to increase recovery 

While on the topic of dumb ideas for recovery, in order to get more time in of stretching the finger flexors I have tried before sleeping with a hemiplegia orthotic on that is normally used for people with upper motor neuron damage which causes muscle spasticity (basically a permanent muscle contraction), to keep my fingers straight while sleeping. I tried it a few times and it was weird, I got a little concerned about the finger extensors shortening in the process. You basically strap each finger in and your hand stays flat on a piece of hand-shaped plastic. But yeah it seemed genius at the time lol.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

While on the topic of dumb ideas for recovery, in order to get more time in of stretching the finger flexors I have tried before sleeping with a hemiplegia orthotic on that is normally used for people with upper motor neuron damage which causes muscle spasticity (basically a permanent muscle contraction), to keep my fingers straight while sleeping. I tried it a few times and it was weird, I got a little concerned about the finger extensors shortening in the process. You basically strap each finger in and your hand stays flat on a piece of hand-shaped plastic. But yeah it seemed genius at the time lol.

We'd never learn if we never try. 

Sleeping with compression gloves on can make a difference though. I suffered from tendonitis in both hands at the same time and before that a severely torn tendon/ligament in my thumb...  The compression gloves made a huge difference. Sometimes the gloves resurface and i'll wear them for a night or two only to loose them.  

If you have a nagging injury there is worse things to spend $15 bucks on. It just might help. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

We'd never learn if we never try. 

Sleeping with compression gloves on can make a difference though. I suffered from tendonitis in both hands at the same time and before that a severely torn tendon/ligament in my thumb...  The compression gloves made a huge difference. Sometimes the gloves resurface and i'll wear them for a night or two only to loose them.  

If you have a nagging injury there is worse things to spend $15 bucks on. It just might help. 

Must have sucked having damage in your thumb. I've had several issues but never really any trouble with my thumbs. Aside from when I was pushing some hub training last winter which caused my left thumb to hurt for a few months lol. Never tote anything though 

• Like 1

Just now, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Must have sucked having damage in your thumb. I've had several issues but never really any trouble with my thumbs. Aside from when I was pushing some hub training last winter which caused my left thumb to hurt for a few months lol. Never tote anything though 

Yeah, it was work related...  But it was the same thumb I severed the tendon in years back in fist fight with my brother.  He ran behind a glass door but even that didn't stop me from throwing a punch.🤣 I seriously could have died, could have gotten an artery. 

Its ok, part of growing and I think it ultimately got me into grip.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2022 at 12:08 AM, Blacksmith513 said:

Yeah, it was work related...  But it was the same thumb I severed the tendon in years back in fist fight with my brother.  He ran behind a glass door but even that didn't stop me from throwing a punch.🤣 I seriously could have died, could have gotten an artery. 

Its ok, part of growing and I think it ultimately got me into grip.

Hahaha... Luckily I never had to punch my sister in the face (can you imagine? Lol) 

You are indeed very lucky. Could have bled to death. Glass is VERY sharp 😐👀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Hahaha... Luckily I never had to punch my sister in the face (can you imagine? Lol) 

You are indeed very lucky. Could have bled to death. Glass is VERY sharp 😐👀

When i was real young i used to go after my brother and sister with knives🤣.... Don't think i ever hit my sister.. My brother still gets a haymaker once in awhile when he gets on my nerves.